[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Overrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 21
File: 338402.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
338402.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
This game was good, don't get me wrong. But does anyone else feel like it was overrated? The story was average and the gameplay was mediocre at best.

Feel free to post games that you think are good but overrated in this thread!
>>
bae sickly every good game is "good but overrated"
>>
>>342983116
Naughty Dog making perfect games is a fucking illusion. All their shit is filled with poor level design and bullet sponge enemy festival.

TLOU is the worst of them and one of the most boring games I played last gen.
>>
File: last-of-us-marlene.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
last-of-us-marlene.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
>>342983116
Playing it on easy, then the Grounded is the best way to go.

Easy for the cinematic experience, and Grounded for the challenge, while using upgraded weapons.
>>
this game here gets way too much praise with its repetitive naval content
>>
>>342983116
>>342984776
To bad your opinion is irrelevant. TLoU is one of the greatest games ever made. Praised both by players and critics.

Get rekt you try hard faggots.
>>
>>342987149
Praised by Shills and Shills?
>>
>>342987149
If the story was shit, the game would have been shit. "get rekt faggot"
>>
File: 58pBUIoE_400x400.png (196 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
58pBUIoE_400x400.png
196 KB, 400x400
>>
>>342983116
>>342987080
>AAA games
>overrated
no shit lol
>>
>>342987697
>everyone is a shill but me!
>>
>>342988384
But Black Flag gets praised here all the time
>>
>buy GTA4 because it had a 98 on Metacritic
>it's shit
How the fuck?
>>
>>342983116
It's good for a rental, there is no replayablity to the single player and online isn't worth playing over other games.
>>
>>342983116
I agree about gameplay, but the story was good if not great, thinking otherwise makes you a 12 year old edgy contrarian.
>>
>>342988497
Black flag was a shit assassins creed game.
It was a cool pirate simulator however.
>>
>>342988497
It's AAA. It gets prsised by people who never play video games. Especially here.
>>
>>342987149
So are The Avengers films. Doesn't mean they're good.
>>
>>342988562
Rockstar buys reviews, they have bullying tactics when it comes to the media, totally agree with IV being overrated for having a near perfect score.

>>342988878
Many AAA games including the one OP posted aren't praised as much as Black fag.
>>
File: 1444209267431.jpg (36 KB, 800x691) Image search: [Google]
1444209267431.jpg
36 KB, 800x691
>>342983116
"Overrated" was invented by fedoras so they can still find a way to feel superior by insulting games that everyone agrees are good.
>>
>>342985669
Eh, gameplay was pretty mediocre, I wouldn't want to play through it again on a harder difficulty.
>>
File: 1465926231839.gif (3 MB, 200x180) Image search: [Google]
1465926231839.gif
3 MB, 200x180
>>342988779
oh does it now?
>>
>>342983116

I couldn't play it for more than an hour. Ended up trading it in the next day. Guess I'm just not in stealth based third person games.
>>
>>342988969
Ooh, what an edgy film critic we have here
>>
>>342989162
>The MCU is good
Okay manchild.
>>
>>342988980
Because black flag actually had fun gameplay and somewhat nice story after how fucking bad ac3 was
>>
>>342989246
but it isn't fun, after you board the first ship it's all the same shit

the shanties were nice and the sailing was entertaining, but the combat was the same shallow mess that the features of AssCreed usually are
>>
>>342988779
>if you don't like muh clichéd burden of fatherhood story with zombies thrown in then y-you're just stupid!!
>>
>>342989162
The first avengers movie was dogshit and is full of retarded franchise pandering.
I just wanted to see some cool shit happen, instead I got some retarded story and all kinds of stupid set ups for them to jew you out even harder.
The entire plot was retarded and all dialog was bored me to death as I had no interest in all the epic xD fanservice pandering.
I haven't seen the other movies so I can't speak for them.
>inb4 your not a fan so you didn't understand what was going on
I'm was well informed about every single hero and their backstory before watching it. It's shit.
>>
>>342989231
I'm sure you have a much more adult and dare I say, gentlemanly taste in films, good sir
>>
>>342987697
>h-h-he has a different opinion than me!
SHILL SHILL SHILL

>>342988114
Too bad the story was great...so great in fact that it carried the game to GotY catagory multiple times.

>>342988969
The avengers got mixed reactions mainly by the critics while the average viewer liked it. TLoU was critically acclaimed by both players and Critics. Not even a worthwhile comparison Kek
>>
>>342985669
What is the difference between grounded and survival? I played it first on easy for the history and currently playing on survival for the challenge.
>>
>>342989491
What exactly was it you would have wanted, then? There was plenty of "cool shit" in that movie, and I as most people found the characters likeable and the writing and dialogue to be fine
>>
>>342989491
There is no point arguing with capeshit man babies. Just run while you can.
>>
>>342989689
All the cool shit was there for a retarded reason.
It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember really disliking the scene were iron man goes out to fix some engine in the middle of the movie.
That scene was beyond terrible, especially cause iron man was by far my favorite character. It didn't make sense and had a lot of parts that were extremely unrealistic.
>but it's a movie it doesn't need to be real, relax bro
Fuck off, have some standards. There's a difference between aliens coming to destroy shit with laserweapons (that is totally ok) if that's the plot but denying the basic fundamental laws of physics just makes me angry.
Also talking about fucking aliens, who the fuck were those enemies, they came out of nowhere and the entire way they were defeated was kind of an anticlimax. It existed only to make the "oh shit iron man sacrificed himself" scene in there which didn't fit iron man at all.
>>
>>342983116
>reposting the same shitty TLoU thread again
>responding to the same shitty TLoU thread again
Is this what purgatory is like?
>>
>>342990331
I don't really get what your issues are, but fair enough, you seem to have your reasons
>>
>>342990685
Here I'll make it simple for you:
The plot was written by a 5 year old playing with his action figures.
>oh no bad aliens come to planet
>avengers unite!
>oh no iron man almost kill
>don't worry he is ok
>yay we did it

Then the producers were like: hmm something's missing here... Oh I know! Let's add some overly complicated unnecessary shit at the start of the movie for no goddamn reason that will be irrelevant right after it just so we have the generic 5 minute action scene at the start!
H-hey boss, you should stuff it with unreasonable amounts of fanservice, so much that it annoys anyone who hasn't spent their entire life cumming all over these comics.

There you have it, the avengers plot.
>>
Multiplayer is the only good thing about TLOU, everything else is irredeemable trash.
>b-b-but the story
No, fuck off. If you care about story so much go watch a fucking movie. TLOU's story isn't that great anyways
>>
>>342983116
What other games have stories that compare with the last of us?
>>
>>342992168
>the multiplayer is good, but somehow the gameplay of the singleplayer which is the exact same isn't
are you retarded?
>>
>>342991062
What did you expect from a comic book movie? You're getting mad over nothing. And what's all this fan service you keep raving about? I literally can't think what you mean
>>
>>342992713
Its not any fun playing the braindead AI. Do you think a single player overwatch against AIs would be any fun? Its the same concept you fucking retard.
Also, as much as you TLOUfags go on about MUH IMMERSION its really immersion breaking that Ellie is invisible to enemies, rally detracts from the single player mode.
>>
>>342993029
*really
>>
>>342983116

The Shit of Cucks is not a game, it is an interactive movie and anyone that thinks it is a "decent/good game" should be impaled in real life.

Fuck off, go read a book or watch a movie or series, you subhumans do not belong in the GAMING community and never will.

Story should never be the main aspect of a game, except visual novels.
>>
>>342983116
>This game was good
But it wasn't.
>>
The batman games. They arent even good its just waves of button mashing and press triangle to stealth.
>>
>>342993334
If you insist on tripfagging, at least do everyone a favor and don't shitpost.
Filtered.
>>
>>342988980
> Rockstar buys reviews, they have bullying tactics when it comes to the media, totally agree with IV being overrated for having a near perfect score.
You got any source on that bud ? Or do you work in the industry which is doubtful
>>
File: rockstar.png (176 KB, 670x784) Image search: [Google]
rockstar.png
176 KB, 670x784
>>342994119
It's no surprise their games get ridiculous 11/10 scores even when the reception to IV among people was pretty lukewarm
>>
>>342993545

Your whore mother should have aborted you, you are not a gamer, The shit of cucks is not a game, it is an interactive movie, prove me wrong subhuman, you can't.
>>
>>342994769
someone is very angry today, do you need some camomile?
>>
>>342995125
Camomile is so good.
>>
File: TLOU intro death squeaks.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TLOU intro death squeaks.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
>>342983116
It made me get all red-eyed and have a knot in my throat at four separate parts of the story, and I almost never get that way for any form of media. The intro is the most emotionally raw thing I've ever seen in any game OR movie.

It's overrated when they call it the "Citizen Kane of gaming", but even then it's only overrated by a little bit (and I can see why the reviewer might make such an analogy.) This is the first videogame where the story and presentation are comparable to an actual good film.
The combat and stealth were really good too, and the animation was brutal and really made it feel like everyone involved in a fight was viciously trying to murder eachother.
>>
>>342995740
The opening scene was manipulative like any oscarbait drama and the rest of the game felt like a shitty episode of the walking dead with a forced "controversial ending" (wus i duh bad guy all along!?).

You're a moron.
>>
can you mention a game with a better story?
>>
>>342996749
you sound really autistic. I feel sorry for you
>>
>>342996749
(you)
>>
>>342983116

Feels like it's underrated. People make fun and call it a movie when it does gameplay elements better than a lot of games with even less plot.
>>
File: ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.png (320 KB, 807x439) Image search: [Google]
ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.png
320 KB, 807x439
>>342996749
>The opening scene was manipulative like any oscarbait drama
like what? I'd like to see a live-action movie where they do something anywhere near as ballsy as what they did with the opening scene of TLOU. They just don't show scenes like that involving cute little girls in real movies
>>
>>342997375
>>342992495
Almost every metal gear game had a better story than this game. Plus they had really fun game mechanics to back it up.
>>
>>342998443
not that anon but he has a point with the manipulative part

It's just a cheap way to make you care for the guy, wow they fucking shot his daughter with an automatic rifle, please feel bad about this stock character!

Not to mention this is yet another zombie game, or fungus zombie which in practice is the same fucking shit.
>>
Overrated by either /v/ or most of the world:

TLOU
AssCreed 4
Spec Ops The Line
Witcher
Quake 3 Arena
Mount and Blade
Witcher
Binary Domain
Doom
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Duke Nukem 3D
Mario Maker
Yoshis Island
Jet Set Radio
Anything by Platinum Games
Smash Bros
Any Kirby game
Any Metroid
Original Mario Kart
Mass Effect 2
Dragons Dogma
System Shock 2
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex all
Street Fighter
MvC
All mobas
All rts's
All mmos
Uncharted series
Tomb raider all
Senran kagura
Atelier
Hyperdimension neptunia
Valkyrie chronicles
Vagrant story
Disgaea
Etrian oddyssey
Yakuza
Shenmue
Saints row 1-2
Burnout paradise
Forza
Prof Layton
Bravely Default
Trails of series
God hand
Dynasty warriors
Samurai warriors
Thief
Infamous
Prototype
Link to the past
Castlevania all
>>
>>342996749
You must so fun to hang out with in real life.
>>
>>342983116
>This game was good

No it wasn't.
>>
Bully
>>
>>342998562
you mean the games with ridiculously overcomplicated plots and 30 minute cutscenes that everyone complains about?

somehow i doubt that
>>
>>342998931
oh man, youre so superior, you dont like anything anyone else likes! youre so cool i want to be like you when i grow up
>>
Tetris
>>
>>342998727
so then what the fuck you want anon?, a character with no motivation/backstory at all?

of course stories are manipulative, thats the whole point you pair of fucktards
>>
>>342998727
>It's can't be sad because they were trying to make it sad. I'm not falling for that.
Yeah don't let them fool you; those are just artificial feels, not real feels.
>>
>>342999078
yes it was, you contrarian asswipe
>>
>>342999538
>thread about posting what you feel is overated
>do so
>wahh ur hipsturrr
For every 1 i posted, theres 10 popular games i love. But seeing a relatively large post makes it difficult for you to see negative space
>>
>>342983116
""""""""""""""""""""""""game""""""""""""""""""""""""
it's a movie that allows you to move your character and shoot occasionally

What other naughty dog """"""""""""""""""""""""games"""""""""""""""""""""""" does that remind you of?
>>
>>342998931
>spending time writing this shit

hope i never meet you in real life
>>
>>342998443
Nigga even The Walking Dead showed a little girl dying from a zombie and another time a little girl who got separated from their group a few episodes back showed up again as a mutilated zombie. Its not some new groundbreaking shit.
>>
>>342983116

Its hilarious how /v/ has so much hate over The Last Of Us when the rest of the gaming world considers it one of the best games produced that blurred the lines between videogames and a film. No amount hipster hate will change the fact that The Last of Us changed, CHANGED the landscape of videogames. Many many years from now, /v/ haters have grown old and died but this will sitll be remembered as the Citizen Kane of videogames.

/thread
>>
>>342983116
I'm playing this for the first time right now.
It's very, very good.
>>
>>342999778
Nah, if we set out standards higher than simply not being broken like ride to hell, its not really that good. All the imagination and creativity was used up in the openibg sequence, then it pittered out
>>
>>342999538
unfortunately i dont have every game from the last decade stored in my memory banks, so im sorry that i cant think of everything that you didnt list.
all i see is an absolute fuckton of very popular games and im sure you have well-thought out and reasoned arguments for why each one isnt as good as everyone says it is, mr contrarian
>>
>>343000116
those scenes were incredibly tame in comparison to what you see in TLOU
>>
>>343000323
Muh gore
>>
>>342983116
This game was not that great in my opinion. The "puzzles" could hardly be called puzzles. I mean, there were only three different kinds in the game and they all seemed so similar.

The monster diversity was also very lame in this game, there were essentially three different monsters.

I don't know. The game was okay but at no point did I feel challenged, and a lot of the content felt like massive filler, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>342999436
Did you play any of them?

1st had a theme about identity and the meaning of life

2nd had a theme of the corruption of information distributed on the internet.

3rd had theme about loyalty and what it means to be a patriot.

4th was essentially wrapping all the loose plot lines while dealing with how much the world truly values war.

The last of us was a fine story but it never even dared to go the extra mile.
>>
>>343000309
whoops, heres the (You) i was meant to give:
>>342999828
>>
>>343000383
i think you just value gameplay and mechanics more than story in a game, which is totally fine, but this games strength was definitely its story. I dont think anyone thinks the gameplay was anything special
>>
>>342989665
Enemies hit harder, but you can kill with one shot on them as well.
>>
>>343000417
I havent played any of them, so im not gonna claim I know anything at all about the quality, but I do know they dont get anywhere near as much praise as TLoU, so I think its very unlikely that they have such a superior story as you claim

i do plan to play the MGS games at some point, just want to start from the beginning and thats pretty daunting, you have to admit
>>
>>343000125
I think that's the reason so many people hate it. Because it's influenced modern games to be more cinematic

>>343000382
>gore
Nah, that's not what I mean. There was hardly any gore in Sarah's death; just a little bloodstain on her shirt. What I mean is how they show her frightened face as she passes from life to death; how she makes those little squeaking sounds as Joel tries to pick her up; how she literally dies in his arms.
>>
>>342983210

>sickly

What?
>>
>>343000556
Neither was the story though. Maybe it's because I've played games like Nier, but nothing in TLOU really stuck out. I felt a stronger connection to Clem and Lee than I did to Joel and Ellie.
>>
>>343000746
okay, then compare it to Hershel's death in TWD. A poor old man gets his head chopped off with a samurai sword in front of his two young daughters, one of them being a teenager. Just as emotionally gripping as anything in TLOU
>>
wait a minute that ladder
wait a minute that wood
wait a minute that triangle
>>
>>343000125
>blurred the lines between videogames and a film
how the fuck is this a good thing?
>/threading yourself
What a newfag.
>>
>>342983116
>don't get me wrong

kill yourself
>>
>>343000949
is Nier meant to be good? thats not what I heard.
>>
>>342999680
The point is, we're not given any incentive beyond the opening cut-scene to care about Joel and his daughter. If the writing was good, then you'd care about Joel losing his daughter even if her last death throes weren't shown.

Imagine the Last of Us with the entire pre-opening credits sequence cut. Joel becomes nothing but a gruff stock character with zero character development.

That's why it's manipulative, and while honestly, there's nothing inherently bad about this, it's certainly something to point out when TLoU gets called the "Citizen Kane" of gaming.
>>
An anon said this game would have been a masterpiece without the batmobile segments.

I disagree. The batmobile segments were ass, yes, but the main campaign was also about twice as long as it needed to be. Everything else was just more of the same from Arkham City, including a poorly realized open world.

7/10 at best. Not a bad game by any degree, but definitely not a great one.
>>
File: arkham knight.jpg (95 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
arkham knight.jpg
95 KB, 960x960
>>343001356
Forgot pic. pls no bully
>>
>>343001239
Nier has the best story and lore in any game I've ever played, and I'd say I've played my share of story driven games.
>>
No it is way better than Uncharted 3, 4, uncharted trash
>>
>>343001356
>>343001503
I thought the stealth segments were the best in the series with all the new gadgets and shit they added, but the fact that they're mostly limited to side stuff kills me. There were like less than 10 stealth sequences in the main story.
>>
>>343001085
i know a lot of /v/ only like old games and things that are of a similar style, but video gaming is an ever-evolving medium that includes, believe it or not, storytelling.
film is a top-tier storytelling medium, and games do best at storytelling when acting as film augmented with gameplay to increase immersion.

That isn't to say this is all games are or should be, but it is a component of video games and a big part of the idea that video games can be considered art
>>
>>343000985
that's more shocking than it is sad, and the entire scenario is much more ridiculous with samurai swords and decapitation. Also, it's sad when a child dies because the kid could've had a future. An old man has already lived his life
>>
>>343001692
okay well this argument isn't really going anywhere, my point is its just cheap emotional manipulation, not groundbreaking or clever, you'd think the "Citizen Kane of gaming" would be able to pull it off better.
>>
File: lastofus.png (381 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
lastofus.png
381 KB, 610x343
I just thought it was okay. Game was too stealth heavy for my tastes, so I just went the full combat route. Made it more interesting where I had to make my shots count and use melee when necessary.

I fucking hated the part where you play Ellie though, just because of the forced stealth segments. I just... I just don't like stealth gameplay. I always find it so damn boring and unexciting. It's why I didn't care much for Alien Isolation either, even though I thought the atmosphere was amazing in that game.
>>
>>342983116
Bought remastered for PS4.
Play about 45 minutes... then droped because was booring as fuck
>>
>>343001348
Joel's entire character is that he loses his daughter and its incredibly traumatic for him. he spends the next 20 years trying to forget and steeling himself to any kind of loss or emotion, and then he is shoved into his situation with Ellie, initially hating her and having to be with her, but slowly warming to her as they develop a father-daughter relationship.
now its not the most unique story in the world, but these days, what is? the point is that it was told very well and managed to be believable to the point where most people who have the ability to empathise felt for these characters
>>
>>343001647
yes but it is still important to balance gameplay with story. I think some examples of games that tell a good narrative while still having worthwhile gameplay between the cutscenes is the Xenoblade games and the Metal Gear series.
>>
>>343001852
All drama is "cheap emotional manipulation" if that's how you wanna define it. You'll enjoy drama a lot more if you stop worrying about the motivations of the director/creator and just look at it for what it is, not what you judge it to be.
>>
>>343002405
>stop worrying about the motivations of the director/creator
the fuck? When did I do that? I don't give a shit about the director or his intentions. I think TLOU, standing alone, is not anywhere near as good of a story as everyone gives it credit for. I think its just people whose only experience with story telling and narrative is video games and big name blockbuster movies.
>>
>>343002609
your entire argument has been about "emotional manipulation", but youve never specified exactly what you mean. is literally doing anything in a story to try to make you feel emotion a manipulation to you?
>>
>>343002609
>the fuck? When did I do that?
when you said that the scene was manipulative. It implies that the creator's motivation is to "trick" you into becoming emotionally invested, as if you should actively resist any emotional reaction to such trickery
>>
>>343002971
>>343003109
My only point is that cheap emotional manipulation (such as, killing off a character who we have no reason to care about other than "oh she's a little girl how sad") is not good story telling and it certainly doesnt make TLOU deserving of the title "Citizen Kane of games."
TLOU does not have a good story or well written characters. I don't really give a shit one way or the other about the ethics behind it.
>>
>>343002061
You really don't get to know his daughter to care. Like the other anon said, compared to Nier it feels really cheap. In Nier your daughter is dying from a disease and you find a way to cure it. You get to know your daughter more because in loading screens you can read her diary and letters she send to you.

Shit Nier was the only game that got me invested in their conflict because they didn't use a cheap tactic like a child death or anything of the sort.
>>
>>343003225
>>343003307
so what, we needed a couple extra hours of game detailing the relationship between Joel and his daughter before it's possible to care? What is it you want exactly?
>>
>>343003410
>What is it you want exactly?
to admit that TLOU's story isn't good.
>>
>>343003410
It would make the story much better, yeah. I mean, you TLOUfags are always going on and on about how good the story is but its clear you've never seen any fiction that is actually well written.
Maybe TLOU's story isn't as fucking amazing as you thought it was? Go read a fucking book, child.
>>
>>343003225
>we have no reason to care about other than "oh she's a little girl"
How is this not a reason to care about a character? You don't feel sad seeing a cute kid's eyes glaze over as they bleed to death in their father's arms? How?
>>
TLoU would be more impressive if Spec-Ops The Line didn't already do it first.
>>
>>343003410
If a stranger were to die, would you give two shits?
Of course not because you never knew them nor of their existence. Joel's daughter died in the opening scene, welp to bad since I didn't know jack shit about her and predicted her death since I started the game.
>>
>>343003759
thousands of people die every fucking day man, why should I feel sorry for one? Kids are dying from cancer as we speak, you expect me to break down in tears over every single one?
Are the lives of children somehow intrinsically more valuable than the lives of adults?
>>
>>343003653
loving the condescension, im sure it makes you feel really big.
to be totally honest, I dont think TLoU is "the Citizen Kane of gaming", but people saying the story isnt good at all are just being elitist. but of course the only reason i think that is because ive never read a book, right?
>>
>>343003759
it's just a game, bro
>>
>>343003501
quality dodge matey
>>
>>343003776
literally how are they in any way similar?

as a side note, i didnt feel jack shit when I played spec ops, it didnt really do anything for me. 100% TLoU is a better game
>>
>>343003932
Its good for a video game story but compared to literature or cinema its fucking toddler tier. If you care so much about a good story look somewhere else besides video games.
>>
File: 1463959049746.jpg (116 KB, 394x500) Image search: [Google]
1463959049746.jpg
116 KB, 394x500
>>343004164
>>
>>343003925
i wonder how you predicted that? maybe from how the entire concept didnt include the daughter and every promotion featured Joel with a different little girl? youre certainly very smart

and if a stranger were to die in front of me, yes, i probably would care. its not exactly the same, sure, but when you consume media you tend to at least make a bit of effort to get yourself immersed, although i imagine someone arguing "emotional manipulation" in a story probably try very hard to do the opposite
>>
>>342983116
Someone post the Morgan Freeman "he's right you know".jpg
>>342987080
Muh nigguh
>>
>>343004275
ive read good books, ive seen good movies, your argument is absolutely shit-tier.
I agree that video game stories absolutely do not live up to the standard of movies or books, but your comparison is a gross overstatement
>>
>>343004392
>and if a stranger were to die in front of me, yes, i probably would care
you'd feel kind of unnerved and uncomfortable for a few days, might contemplate your own mortality and the fragility of life for a bit, and then you'd forget and move on. You certainly wouldn't break down crying or anything or have some strong emotional reaction.
I mean shit nigga, have you never seen a car wreck happen in front of you? Its not that big of a deal.
>>
>>343004392
If I knew she was going to die then where is the emotional impact? I felt nothing at all on that scene and just moved on the next second. I never said if a person died right in front of you because depending on the situation at hand you wouldn't still be there, your instinct will tell you to get the fuck out.

Using Nier again if you saw a stranger dying of a horrible disease but got to know them, then it becomes a totally different scenario because you can feel a connection with that person.
>>
>>343004687
i didnt break down watching the intro to TLoU either. but I felt something, and it was enough to make me care for the character as he developed throughout the rest of the game.

you sound a little psychotic to me though pal, and try not to take that as a compliment you edgy fuck
>>
>>343005076
How am I being edgy? Strangers die every single day all over the world, its nothing worth getting emotionally invested in. Its not like when your friends or family die.
Joel's daughter is a stranger to me, I know nothing about her, her death to me means nothing especially since she's virtual.
>>
>>343004959
sure, knowing the character better will make you care more, but that doesnt mean there is zero emotional impact when a character dies.
i didnt break down and start crying, in fact i probably didnt really feel too much for joel until later on in the game, but that doesnt mean its a bad way to frame the emotional impact
>>
>>342983116
At least it had an original premise for what caused the zombies. Still generic as fuck looking gameplay overall that looks completely uninteresting to me. Give me a full fledged interactive movie or a GOOD game with minimal story... this halfway inbetween shit is the worst.
>>
>>343005297
>>343005076

Listen to this guy
>>343004959

My problem with it was how obvious and heavy handed it was. Coupled with the fact Ellie was going to come in as a stand-in just to further drive his character made Sarah really nothing more than a plot device. I can't feel for this triteness.
>>
>>343005297
>i probably didnt really feel too much for joel until later on in the game

About how long exactly? If it was a about 2-3 hours then you just hoped to get yourself into it. If a game hasn't given me a reason to care in that time frame, then I'm not giving a damn. A good story has you invested the minute you start reading all the way to the end. Some stories start off slow I understand but you continues those mostly through someone else recommendation
>>
>>343005983
im not saying it wasnt obvious, but if you went into it without already knowing that joel was going to be travelling with ellie (which literally everyone knew going in), you probably wouldnt have predicted it.

it is also a completely necessary part of Joel's character development. this isnt a character that is actually part of the story dying, youre not meant to care for the daughter, youre meant to care for Joel, so it doesnt matter that you dont know her.
>>
>>343003926
I would kind of expect you to get at least a little red eyed were you to literally watch one of those kids die before your eyes, especially if they were conscious only moments earlier. Just hearing about it is one thing.

>Are the lives of children somehow intrinsically more valuable than the lives of adults?
generally, yes. Children are innocent and have their entire lives ahead of them
>>
>>342983116
As some one who enjoyed UC 1 and 2 3 sucked

This game was pretty bland and the gameplay is the most unfun shit i've ever experienced story was 7.0/10 at best.
>>
>>343006020
its a video game. other than the intro, it started out by giving you a tutorial and introducing you to the new, post-apocalyptic setting, so of course the emotion isnt right in your face for the entire game.
the story was interesting before it got emotional, stories can do more than one singular thing you know
>>
>>343006597
>I would kind of expect you to get at least a little red eyed were you to literally watch one of those kids die before your eyes, especially if they were conscious only moments earlier.
I mean I probably would but thats real life not a video game. Maybe this is just me but random deaths in fiction don't really do anything for me even if its a kid, its has a much bigger impact if I have a reason to care about the character, i.e. their personality, likeability etc.
>Children are innocent and have their entire lives ahead of them
I guess you're not wrong, but I sure as hell wouldn't risk my neck to save some random kid.
>>
>>343006965
youre starting to sound a bit edgy there, careful

and in this case, its not the dead character we're meant to care about, its the father, so knowing her wouldnt make a different to what the scene is meant to achieve, which is a traumatising experience for Joel that causes him to shut himself off emotionally, which leads into his entire character development in his travels with Ellie.
>>
>>343007243
Millions of people all over the world have dead kids. Yawn. Give me a reason to care.
>>
>>343007352
well theres your problem. if youre actively trying to not care, whether thats because of edgy "emotions arent manly" reasons or otherwise, of course youre never going to become invested in anything
>>
>>343006726
Why do you think the shitty fallout 4 game got high scores from the mass majority? Throw all of the interesting shit in the first hour or so and having you beg for more of that later down the line. I'm surprised I still have to use Nier, you protect your daughter from the shades with all your might but you are left with a vague if you won or not
>>343007243
If you only care about the father only because his daughter died then it was written bad. Now if Joel was shown as a hard worker who tried everything in his power to do something then maybe I would care. His daughter dying was a literal plot element and not something that was an added bonus to his arc.
>>
>>343007574
That isn't it, its that fictional deaths without any weight behind them don't have much emotional impact.
I didn't give a shit in TWD when they found the little girl who became a zombie either because the writers didn't give me a reason to care about her or Carol. Beth's death was kinda sad though.
>>
File: Sarah.jpg (78 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
Sarah.jpg
78 KB, 300x250
>>343006965
>even if its a kid, its has a much bigger impact if I have a reason to care about the character, i.e. their personality, likeability etc.
in what little we saw of Sarah, she was very sweet and likable. Just Joel saying to Ellie at the end:
"I think, ah...I think the two of you would've been good friends. Think you really would've liked her. I know she woulda liked you."
..made me feel pretty sad just thinking of her. Such a sweet little girl. And when she gives him the watch.. ;_;
>>
>>343007884
youre just being a contrarian again. why do you think its bad writing just because we didnt see the daughter grow up from a fucking baby?
yes, it was a narrative device, yes, we didnt know her, but thats not what the point of the scene was. youre spewing out cliched arguments based on a lack of understanding of what we're talking about.
>>
>>343007884
A scene like that instantly establishes the character of the father, like "WOW, this guy's seen some shit."
The intro is both very sad as a scene in and of itself and it does a great job at adding characterization for the player character, while also giving you a reason to empathize for him despite him being a shitty person and a merciless killer.
>>
why is everyone on this board so fucking cynical? Most of the games you guys hate are actually decent/good games. Why don't you faggots actually discuss video games outside of a few general threads that could be on /vg/ instead? Fuck all of you
>>
>>343008286
Nope, we have nothing on Joel from before the zombie outbreak. His daughter dies, he becomes depressed, time skip, game begins. I really do not know Joel to give a shit about him or his daughter who got shot by a magical bullet (Because Joel turned his back when the officer shot at them, yet it somehow hit her and completely missed Joel?)

In Nier, You got to learn about every single boss and their struggle in the world. You killed the first boss's brother in cold blood and crippled her, then you return and kill all of her friends that she made in that area. Now that is some shit I can sympathize with because I as a person in the audience saw this unfold. Joel just does what any rational human would do if they lost a child, find something to fill his dark soul with light, which was ellie.
>>
Photo Mode was a ton of fun. I loved picking out different camera angles and filters for every stage. Though I don't know if that counts as 'gameplay'.
>>
>>343009186
>Because Joel turned his back when the officer shot at them, yet it somehow hit her and completely missed Joel?
are you serious nigga
she got shot in his arms while he was still sideways, halfway turned-around
>>
>>342999897
>shitposting
Hopefully no one has to meet you irl
>>
/v/'s still mad TLoU dropped during the Wii U drought and sold more than all their shit games together even in Japan (Where it rekt W101).
>>
>>343009186
just because its not abnormal doesnt mean it cant be an emotional story. so much has to do with how its told rather than what exactly the ideas are.
I'm sorry you dont have the ability to feel for characters you havent spent a lifetime learning about, the majority of people managed to sympathise and feel for the character so i dont know what that says about you.
if you thought about it for half a second you might realise that the game is the time in which you get to know Joel and thats when you start to sympathise with him. the intro was framing for his character, not an immediate tear jerker.

and stop parroting Nier, youre literally the only person I've ever hear call it good, and i havent played it so its not a useful comparison here.
>>
>>343007973
You're a pedo, aren't you?
>>
>>343000883
He was spelling basically in a very wacky and memetic fashion.
>>
>>342983116
It wasn't 10/10 but certainly not average either. Really great game.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
When you got no games for your system, even the most mediocre titles are overhyped
>>
>>343009885
>caring about kids makes you a pedo
youve spent too much time on 4chan looking at loli threads
>>
The scene where Sarah dies is about as emotionally compelling as the scene in Watch Dogs where the guy's car flips and his niece dies.
i.e. not at all.
>>
>>342983116
>now I'm one of sony's biggest fans, have been since psx back in the day, but does anyone else think the playstation franchise is complete and utter dogshit and has nothing redeeming about it at all and the xbone is so much better and cheaper now too plz buy k thnx
:^)
>>
>>342998443
>near as ballsy
It's laughable to call anything in TLOU ballsy. Time and time again the game tries to have it both ways: being "ballsy" but also not going far enough to be ballsy in a real way.

Oh look, it's the cannibal meat locker, where you're shocked by the human bodies strung up. But why are they all in briefs? Why are they all generic adult men? Did the cannibals only eat adult men and leave them with some dignity has they strung up their corpses?

Damn, the black kid got infected. He's trying to kill your surrogate daughter now, but his older brother is stopping you with a gun. You, the badass survivalist, will have to choose between letting him attack her or shooting kids, infected though one is with the other holding you at gun point. Well, never mind, the one brother just shot the other and then himself. For a second there, I thought someone might actually have make some tough decisions.

This even extends to the fucking "subtlety" of the story. Not content to let the players realize one of the themes of the story, that only humanity is suffering in this outbreak and the rest of the world seems to be doing fine if not better, the game sees fit to whack you over the head with it. Just to make absolutely sure you know what you should be getting out of this game.

Nothing about this game is ballsy. It's a bog standard zombie story and an average story in general. It's only praised because videogame stories tend to be absolutely terrible, and so people will elevate an otherwise average story and characters as if it were some great thing. If you honestly believe the opening with Sarah is in any way exceptional, you need to watch more media.
>>
>>343009147
No one is really cynical, I just dislike when people praise shit that doesn't even exist. Decent/good games do not get 10/10s, they get 5-7/10. >>343009473
Nigga what? If I'm carrying someone in my arms and I turned my back to the guy I get the most bullets though me. In the game sarah by logic got shot in her legs first then Joel to the rest.
>>343009790
>and stop parroting Nier, youre literally the only person I've ever hear call it good, and i havent played it so its not a useful comparison here.

Hmmm? Atleast I can admit flaws in the games I praise. Nier has gameplay issues but I'd be damn if you talk if you say the story wasn't good. If you seen one zombie survival story, you seen them all. How can you feel something that you know was going to happen? It is like knowing the ending to a game, the impact of the ending means dog shit if you know exactly what is going to happen.
>>
>>343003307
holy shit you're dumb
>>
>>343010374
our discussion hasnt included anything about flaws. all youve done is praise Nier so far, so this is the very first time youve even brought that up and all youve said is the incredibly vague "gameplay issues".

I actually do think that TLoU isnt perfect, but all we've been arguing about is one very specific scene that you clearly dont understand.
>>
>>343009885
Actually, no. And I'd have no shame in admitting it here if I were one. I just genuinely like kids and think they are cute (cute-cute, not sexy-cute), and I feel both envious and happy for them to still be in that best stage of life where everything is still new and wonderful. I get second-hand happiness from being around happy kids
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII
>>
File: vhascumtwo.jpg (277 KB, 1400x764) Image search: [Google]
vhascumtwo.jpg
277 KB, 1400x764
>>342983116
>>
>>343010654
Sorry high as fuck right now. Back on topic, yeah I praise Nier because we are discussing story elements i apologize for that. Nier does the TLOU job 10X better in that aspect of story. A story where you try to succeed in a harsh world is better than one where the hero has already lost
>>
>>343011037
why would one type of story be objectively better than another? thats literally just your opinion
>>
File: 1466513047910.png (782 KB, 799x931) Image search: [Google]
1466513047910.png
782 KB, 799x931
Are there any multiplat/console exclusive games that don't get loads of praise?

The last pc exclusive game that was pretty well known was undertale and that was arguably mediocre.
>>
I like how bloody the game is. It should have had more jump scares.

Playing as the little girls is embarrassing though. Makes me feel like a creep
>>
Rhythm controls don't make this a good game.

This is an RPG with terrible RPG mechanics. Hiding behind the fact that it's a deconstruction doesn't make it better.
>>
File: 1250312422642.jpg (109 KB, 1215x1002) Image search: [Google]
1250312422642.jpg
109 KB, 1215x1002
>>343005583
>"Whoa, plant creatures, I wonder what Naughty Dog could do with-"
>Generic rage zombies and clickers that use echo location but can't see when you're quiet
>Padded out with by the books third person cover based shooting
>No much opportunity to mix the creatures with the human enemies
>>
>>343011416
Comes to the thing I said earlier, a death of a character with nothing but Mc daughter does nothing to me because she was the only reason Joel does things later on. If she never would have died but was severely injured and Joel had to deal with Zombies and keeping his daughter alive with Ellie then it would be a more impact story.

Hell if she turned zombie and he was the one to put her down, I may have cared more for Joel because he had to put his own flesh and blood down.
>>
>>343012657
its starting to sound like you just wanted something very specific and it wasnt what you got.

i dont really know what else to say to you, im sorry you didnt get to enjoy the story with everyone else.
>>
>>343010351
you didn't refute anything from that post. The scene is ballsy because there are almost no films that would dare show a death scene like that with a child without at least shifting the camera away.

>>343010351
>Oh look, it's the cannibal meat locker, where you're shocked by the human bodies strung up. But why are they all in briefs? Why are they all generic adult men? Did the cannibals only eat adult men and leave them with some dignity has they strung up their corpses?

Probably because you would see the dead women's breasts, and American games don't have nudity? Why does this even matter? You see the bodies for all of 15 seconds

>For a second there, I thought someone might actually have make some tough decisions.
it's a linear, narrative driven game. You seem to want it to be an RPG like Mass Effect?

>This even extends to the fucking "subtlety" of the story. Not content to let the players realize one of the themes of the story, that only humanity is suffering in this outbreak and the rest of the world seems to be doing fine if not better, the game sees fit to whack you over the head with it.
The fungus only affects humans, what else is there to explain? And why is it bad to show the degeneration of human society like that? Does it offend you that someone would write a story where civilization has fallen so far?

> If you honestly believe the opening with Sarah is in any way exceptional, you need to watch more media.

I watch a lot of media. In fact I watch movies a lot more often than I play games nowadays. Show me one standalone scene like that in a movie or a game that is as emotionally raw as Sarah's death scene in TLOU
>>
>>343010758
I dont think you know what overrated means. If anything this game gets shit on way too hard by butthurt mgs fans
>>
>>342983116
>the story was average and the gameplay was mediocre at best
I'd switch this around. I thought the gameplay was actually pretty good for a stealth/third-person shooter. Nothing to write home about, but I won't deny that it was fun to play.
The story is predictable, but written pretty well. Obviously, not everyone will like it, but I didn't find anything that was too bad, it was just average.
Overall, it's a good game, maybe a great game, if the setting appeals to you, but it's one of the most overrated games of all time.
>>
>>343013346
If there was ever going to be a MGS 6, that tune would change, just like it did with 4 when V came out.
The fact that the fanbase will shit on Phantom Pain for a long time makes me sad.
>>
>>343013901
pretty much.
I almost want to screencap your post and use it if a new MGS ever actually does come out. So i can laugh and watch /v/ suddenly 180 and pretend everyone knew how great TPP was at the time.
>>
Am I the only one who found the gameplay fun to play? I mean, yeah it wasn't the most innovative shit, but fucking zombies up bare handed was the bees knees, it was admitted well crafted. Like a evolution of RE4 with a cruder inventory system. I personally though it translated well to the multiplayer too. I don't get how people think its outright bad.
>>
>>343010708
that video is adorable
>>
>>343014217
people on /v/ are retarded and instantly assume that if it is at all "generic" (i.e. starring realistic-looking human characters who fight with guns) then it cannot be good
>>
>>342983116

Left4Dead + Children of Men = TLOU

Done.
>>
>>
>>343015097
>l4d created the idea of zombies and traversing a run down state.

God i hate /v/
>>
>>343014217
I got sick of fucking up zombies nine years ago, yet devs keep making games about it
>>
>>343015397
no other game has zombie fights anywhere near this brutal or intense. In every other game the zombies are made of paper
>>
File: happinessIntensifies.png (182 KB, 322x445) Image search: [Google]
happinessIntensifies.png
182 KB, 322x445
>/v/ calls a game shit
>it's actually amazing

Every Goddamn Time
>>
>>343015657
Its a good movie.
>>
>>343015657
I've found out from experience over the years that the more angry shitposting there is about a game on /v/, the better it usually ends up being when I try it
>>
>>343015891
...I wish I'd figured that out.
>>
Base game was honestly one of the best games I have played.

Was a nice mix of story and pretty flowing gameplay. I really enjoyed it.

I find myself not too entertained by Video games anymore after that honestly.
>>
>>342992495
Deus Ex, Planescape Torment and Fallout New Vegas all have better stories than TLoU. That's just off the top of my head.
>>
File: winter.webm (785 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
winter.webm
785 KB, 900x506
playing as ellie for the winter part was honestly one of the best parts of the game. Killing people/clickers/runners with the knife was so satisfying. Stealth was better than it was playing with Joel
>>
will I like Left Behind if I liked the regular game? I heard about the lesbian shit, dunno how I feel about that yet
>>
>>343019269
is she really a lesbian? I figured maybe she was just experimenting, and that girl was her only friend. She seemed to get along well enough with Sam
Thread replies: 202
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.