[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody else here play Gremlins Inc. I recently bought this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Gremlins_Inc.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Gremlins_Inc.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
Anybody else here play Gremlins Inc.

I recently bought this game on the Steam sale after reading some good reviews about it on Steam.

At first I was disappointed with it, after having read such gud reviews about it, but after a few games I slowly got hooked and now I really love this little game.

It's a tabletop boardgame simulater that was really invented with multiplayer in mind.

The setting is so unique and refreshing, it really captures my imagination.
>>
Tell me more about the game. I have it wishlisted, and I'm thinking about getting it. How does it compare to the Witcher tabletop game (which I haven't played yet as well).

Shill it to me.
>>
>>342952982

Has anyone played the witcher board game? I'ts like 1.5 dollars so I'm considering but worried it will be junk.
>>
Holy fuck, OP. I give you a bump and you give me shit in exchange. Sell me the fucking pen.
>>
>>342951716
Still too expensive for my taste (I'd have to buy 4 copies to go around), but it's definitely a great fun little game.
>>342954582
It's trash. Mechanics just aren't fun.
>>
File: 1445808002770.png (19 KB, 586x434) Image search: [Google]
1445808002770.png
19 KB, 586x434
>>342951716
I like it a lot. I don't play it often but when I do it's fucking great. Kinda wish this had a physical version too.

>mfw when I'm about 10 points behind, right next to the Inferno, and draw Armageddon Clock on the second to last turn.
>>
>>342956830
Tell me more about the game, please. I'm the second poster.
>>
>>342956997
I'm not a board games expert so I can't really say if it's like any other well known game, but I'll give you the basic premise.

Everyone's a gremlin of course, and you pick one of a number of them, each of which start on different locations on the board. Everyone gets 6 cards to start the game, each of which have at least 2 parts: an effect, and move value. You play one card on your turn, moving the number of spaces shown on the card, but you lose the card so you can't take advantage of its effect.

The effects of the cards are what make the game though. Generally speaking, in order to use a card, you have to get to a corresponding "location", denoted by an icon on the card. Locations are big, important spaces on the board that you can stop at (don't need an exact roll, you can end your move early to stop on one even if you overshoot). The location also usually has some sort of secondary effect that you can choose to take advantage of. Most cards also have a monetary cost required to play them, which brings me to the second most important part.

Resources. You have a few: victory points, money, votes, malice, income, and bribe.

Victory points are the important one of course, they're green on the hud. Generally speaking in ranked play, a 4-player game will end after a certain number of turns, and the winner is determined by who has the most. A 2-player game is usually whoever hits a point limit first. Either way, these are your win condition, 100%. Super important.

Running up on char limit, I'll continue next post.
>>
>>342958142
Thank you! Seems to be perfect for playing with 3 other friends then.
>>
>>342958142
Money is second most important. You get a lot of this, you get to play big scary fuck-off cards. Income and bribe are directly tied to this, you start with 30 income and 20 bribe cost. Bribe is detracted from your money when you pass over bribe spots on the board (usually in shortcuts or before particularly good locations, but happen on some other spots too), and also used to avoid a police search (most common space alongside risks, both are a 1/6 chance that causes something bad if you don't pay their fee, although police is generally lower cost to bribe, worse penalty for a bad roll). Income works on the opposite principle of the bribe spots, giving you money equal to your income for passing. In both the case of the income and bribe spots (but not police, those only do shit if you land on them), directly landing on them doubles the effect. Either way, you're gonna get hit with bribe way more often than you profit from income, so if you have the choice of avoiding extra bribe and gaining extra income, for fuck's sake save your bribe. Keep it low!

Votes are a little more niche, they're the blue hand resource. Sometimes they're part of a card's cost, but they do one big, important thing. Every 20 turns, someone is elected governor. Whoever has the most votes becomes governor, and then everyone's vote totals are cut in half. If you're governor, you do not get inspected by the police, you do not have to pay when passing bribes, and you can steal other people's bribes, although you gain malice every time you do. In other words, your bribe count becomes 99% irrelevant. This shit is potent, but it has counters. Some cards with negative effects target the governor specifically, and others force elections immediately and reset the election timer.

>>342958729
It absolutely is! If you want to hear more, stick around. I'll sperg out. Cont.
>>
>>342958982
Malice, like bribe, is something you wanna keep as low as possible. Everyone starts with zero, but you gain it by playing certain (usually more powerful) cards. Most importantly, every point of malice jacks up your bribe by 1. You can reduce your malice, but it's way harder than gaining it in the first place, and there's no miracle "flush your malice" card, so be wary of that. If you're not governor, having a shitload of this will bite you in the ass. Even if you are, certain cards target the player with highest malice or benefit the player with the lowest malice. Also important is that when elections roll around, whoever has least malice gets 3 free votes for the purposes of the election.

So basically, everyone's taking turns playing cards to move, flinging mud at each other, trying to get to certain places on the board to play big shit while getting as much money as they can. Hand knowledge is pretty important, because certain cards are outright removed from the victims' hands if revealed, and even so there are other ways to dick people over by predicting them. Game's got a couple of interesting game-changers too, Armageddon Clock I mentioned earlier being one of them (give you an enormous amount of VP and malice, then subtracts one VP from all other players every 6 turns), but there are others. They also usually costs enormous amounts of money (700-1000).

If you wanna learn more, the game's in-game documentation is REALLY good and intuitive to use, it's basically a built-in wiki, but honestly I covered 90% of the non-intuitive stuff. Game's not that hard to get once you play a game or two either, just be wary that each game is like 1.5-2 hours long.

TotalBiscuit plays this game on stream on a regular basis, and he made a "WTF Is" on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHRlKttPM4

Really good board game. Definitely take it over that Witcher crap.
>>
>>342959496
>TotalCancer
Annnnnnnnnnnnnd interest dropped.
>>
>>342959792
Hey man, suit yourself. The game's really fun, if you want a game that's 90% about dicking other people over, then don't miss out just because someone you don't like plays it.

Just one warning: there is no local multiplayer, so if you wanna do 4 player you need 4 copies of the game.
>>
>>342958982
>>342959496
>>342959881
Thanks for all the input, anon.

>>342959792
>I can't enjoy something if someone I don't like enjoys it as well.

I know that feel, man. I had to drop strawberries after 9/11 because Osama gobbled them every morning. : (
fag
>>
shills pls go
>>
>>342960123
You're welcome, other anon. I love me some board games and in-game sadism, so if that's up your alley too you're in for a treat. Especially if you've got friends, but last I played a month ago the game was alive and kicking. I imagine it's still the same, game just recently got new (entirely cosmetic, as always) DLC as well so that should help, combined with the Steam sale.
>>
>>342960560
Noice. Any other board games you recommend? Steam or not.

>>342960247
>discussing games is shilling.

no, anon, this is shilling:
"Fallout 4 is a good game and a better RPG."
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.