[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>play platformer >it has collectables and pickups >never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7
File: 1466689987815.jpg (106 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
1466689987815.jpg
106 KB, 601x601
>play platformer
>it has collectables and pickups
>never complete it because obsessively replay levels to get everything
>>
>>342944370
that guy looks mad lmao
>>
File: Castlevania 3 - Grant.jpg (23 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania 3 - Grant.jpg
23 KB, 636x636
>collectibles are the focus of the game, instead of a bonus reward for exploration
>>
>>342944559
Name one game that does this. You probably can't.
>>
File: DK.gif (307 KB, 220x236) Image search: [Google]
DK.gif
307 KB, 220x236
>>342944370
>Play level
>Don't find everything
>Replay it
>Find the shit I missed
>Repeat for the entire game
Play the level while it's still fresh in your memory. The only time I've played through an entire game while collecting everything, then went back and played through all the levels again was with SM3DLand because you need to gold-flag all the stages as Mario and Luigi.

So on that note, what do you think is the best number of "mandatory" collectables (for 100%) per level? And how about optional ones, for example the KONG letters in DKC which are only for extra lives?
Personally, I think three well hidden mandatory items and four or five "grab them along the way" optional items are the best choice. Have some exploration with finding three hidden items needed for 100%, and have four or five spread throughout the level that don't take much effort to get, just for a 1-up or something.
>>
File: Collectathons.jpg (77 KB, 600x332) Image search: [Google]
Collectathons.jpg
77 KB, 600x332
>>342944662
Were you not around during the 5th generation?
>DK64
>Banjo Kazooie
>Mario 64
>Spyro
>Crash
>Literally any game that's in the collectathon genre
>>
>>342945190
Crash isn't a collectathon and in order to get extra boxes and gems you have to take harder routes, not exploring
But yeah, collectathons are shit
>>
>>342944370
>play a "stealth" game
>go through all levels in stealth, even though I could just kill everything
>always restart from the slightest mistake
>tfw I finally Let Go
>>
File: Consider the Following.jpg (29 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Consider the Following.jpg
29 KB, 600x600
>>342945732
But taking the side paths, bonus stages, and harder routes is inherently an act of exploring, just in a more linear fashion rather than an open area. While you can argue that it's not a "true" collectathon because you don't have to collect all the gems to beat the game bare minimum, you still have to find and collect all of the crystals in order to complete the game; the gems are there for 100% completion, but you're still having to collect these various items throughout the game. Breaking all of the boxes in each stage is merely a requirement to obtain these collectable items, whereas in other games you may need to solve puzzles, switch characters, or perform skill checks. Crash may not be a collectathon series to its core, but it still has elements seen in collectathon games used to a lesser extent.
And while I understand the various reasons you may not like collectathons, I personally think they're quite enjoyable.
>>
File: 1463987387064.jpg (117 KB, 668x712) Image search: [Google]
1463987387064.jpg
117 KB, 668x712
>AC4: Black Flag
>those little "optional" objectives
>take like 20 minutes stealthing through a mission
>finish it no problem
>see optional objectives after I'm done
>Chests Opened: 1/4
>>
>>342944370
That doesnt make sense.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.