[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished the first Dragon Quest Where do I go on from here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: The End.png (62 KB, 865x688) Image search: [Google]
The End.png
62 KB, 865x688
I just finished the first Dragon Quest

Where do I go on from here?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (133 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
133 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: 1358400682310.gif (25 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1358400682310.gif
25 KB, 550x400
>>342930868
2 is you're a masochist, else 3 is the logical choice. I see you played the first on the NES, like a real man. Keep it up, we'll make a man of you yet!
>>
>>342932656
I was going to start on DQ and was going to do it on the SNES, what's the problem with it?
>>
>>342932809
grinding but its not as bad as 1. each dq game is an improvement over the last. except 6 but dq6 and dq5 are comparable to ff8 and ff7 respectively in terms of how much more hyped the games were compared to the sequel
>>
>>342932656

The grinding I went through was nostalgic, to say the least. I guess I will try 2 first
>>
>>342933084
So the SNES version has less grinding? Well, that's not a problem then, it's an improvement.

Not OP by the way.
>>
>>342934051

OP here

I've played the SNES version as well afterwards, just out of curiosity.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that spell MP cost is lower, you do more damage overall, and enemies are less likely to dodge. Experience requirements for level ups seem to be the same.

The sprites look really good as well.

Playing the SNES version won't really detract from the DQ experience I think.
>>
>>342934447
Great, though later i will watch a LP/walkthrough of the NES version to see how they compare graphic/music wise. Playing 2 times the same game for such small differences seems pointless.
>>
File: 22a2b6b2305e8e6473bf7c7441cbe3ef.jpg (141 KB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
22a2b6b2305e8e6473bf7c7441cbe3ef.jpg
141 KB, 1000x1250
>>342933806
I wouldn't recommend 2 unless someone really, really wanted to play all of DQ. There's so much backtracking and roaming around the map lost in search of things needed to advance the game, it puts DQ2 in a safe spot as the worst in the series.

The endgame is such a goddamned slog you might get burned out before you get to 3

there's another reason DQ3 instead
>>
>>342932809
It's just wussified, as remakes are wont to be.
>>
>>342934761

Thanks for chiming in

Yeah I kinda suspected it would be considered a bad game, that's why I created this thread, it was the same case for Final Fantasy 2. Seems like the second game in these long running series tend to be bad.

I will still try it out some time, maybe won't finish it.

What game versions would you all recommend for DQ3 and the Zenithia trilogy?
>>
Everyone should experience the wonder of Gold Batboons.
Don't talk anon out of it, guys.
>>
>>342935058
The DS versions of 4,5, and 6 are your best bet. If you miss party chat enough, you can get 4 on iOS/Android, too.

I play 3 on GBC because nostalgia. It's not the optimal experience, but it tickles the /vr/ part of my brain.
>>
Dragon Quest III for sure. It's much better than DQ2, IMO.
>>
Play DQ2 next. It'll only increase how much you appreciate DQ3's improvement over it.
>>
>>342934761

It's not like DQ II will take more than a few days to finish anyway.
>>
>>342935058
DQ2 isn't "bad" per se... it's just very tedious at a certain part. I'm a huge DQ fan myself but I'd never actually beaten DQ2 until last year. I managed to do it but I would definitely recommend consulting a walkthrough (at least occasionally) for the midgame. You have to hunt down a bunch of items and the only way to do it naturally is by being quite thorough in your exploration, and keeping notes. Once you've passed that point, the only other "flaw" with the game is a fuckhuge difficulty spike right near the end (you'll know it when you hit it), but once you can grind a couple of levels out (not hard since the XP jumps along with the difficulty) it's manageable for the most part. Kinda makes the final boss battle feel a little more epic, which is about the only nice thing I can say about it.

As for the Zenithia trilogy, I'd say play them all. If you have to choose then 5 is the clear standout, but plenty of people have a love 4 (especially if you enjoyed 1 and 2), and the only thing wrong with 6 is that it's not as good as 5 was.

Special mention also goes to 3 - I hadn't played it in years but I emulated the SNES remake and holy fuck did it blow me away all over again. It's a must-play IMO.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.