[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Dev Thread 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 44
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 628x529) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 628x529
Previous thread >>146647152

I released an early version of Cat Weapon for you guys to test out. A lot of it has placeholder stuff, so judge it for it is now than as a game in general.

https://mega.nz/#!yEZVyQ4K
Description key: !wpjmHofTlGdM4Nfp8QBugyh7ou7tJqNXja0VSeLtB4Y
>>
>>342930494
I remember your thread.

Again, your prototype is exactly what I feared for you. Even imagining that all the art assets were in place and finalized, your game is still an utterly generic platformer. That and your idea for a kid friendly game starring a cat person carrying a real ass gun in his belt buckle like some gangsta ass nigga will not go over well if you were serious about it.

I don't mean to put you down, but you have to give people a reason to play your game. In today's modern saturated market, being just "good" isn't going to cut it. Like, I played one indie game from a local dev that's on steam and mobile and it was also a one-life platformer channeling meat boy but with gadgets and items. At the very least it had the appeal of vertical-downward focused platforming and the narrative focus of a strong rival character that you often had to race against, along with a good story.

I don't really know what to say. You certainly got a prototype there. Technical issues aside which are obviously a product of being a prototype, I dunno what to tell you. I don't really see any compelling feature or angle as of yet.
>>
Woo
>>
>>342930494
Also are we supposed to be able to beat the giant red square or is that as far as you got up to?
>>
>>342930494
The game needs to have a quirk or something interesting that'll keep people playing. If it's just a barebones platformer you're going to face a lot of criticism.

Quality should be first priority, and I suggest you to go to the amateur game dev thread on /vg/
>>
If I want to advertise my musical and art abilities to indie devs but I dont know where to start
>>
Somebody post the edit of OP's pic from last thread.
>>
>>342931878
If you don't mind working for mobile indie devs, toucharcade has a forum called "Services for Trade" which is literally just that.
>>
>>342931401
Wew lad
>>
>>342932286
>legitimate criticism
>wew lad
Some real quality dialogue here. Not even him.
>>
>>342932063
The one with the tits or the one where they turn into niggers?
>>
>>342930494
>>342931401
>>342931739
Just expanding on what has been said about having a quirk, it doesn't have to be a gameplay gimmick. Drakengard 3 for example, has pretty much utterly generic PS2-esque gameplay. It's well known and regarded however for having really interesting and unconventional story/characters as well as good music. The platformer I mentioned largely sticks out because it does a kinda ham-fisted role-reversal thing with the story, the princess is the main villain and you startat the top of her tower and must escape from it downwards.

So remember, the most important thing is that you need to give us a reason to play your game. It can be an interesting or novel gameplay quirk, it can be good writing/story, it good be a really comfy art style/atmosphere, but it needs SOMETHING otherwise it will be forgotten and ignored among other games that might be worse than yours, but have something interesting about them.
>>
>>342931401
I've decided that Steam should not be my first place to release this game. When I've finished with it on PC, I want to port it to IOS (maybe Android too) as that is the market you recommended to me last thread. Game Maker supports IOS and Android development, so that's a plus side to using the engine.
>>
>>342932670
>>342931401
Other than that though, I managed to make the boss fight some what interesting. Instead of shooting him to death, you find another way of beating him. He's basically super easy if you know what to do.
>>
>>342932670
Just release it on itch.io for PC unless you're some kind of faggot worried about people pirating your game.
>>
>>342931689
Notice the blocks above?
>>
I sat down and played this. I like that you can wall jump. I like that you can shoot while on ladders. Put in more weapons and variations on how you fire (twin shot for example).

Elaborate more on enemy behavior too. Blocks that just go from left to right are good but start introducing contrast. Enemies that jump, scary ass enemies that follow you around, etc. I'm seeing potential in the way this plays because I'm getting a Megaman feel from it.

blah blah if object is this close in the vicinity to player object, do some freaky shit
>>
>>342932836
Can you release free games here? I'm planning for this game to be free.
>>
>>342932670
That's a solid game plan and one that many indie devs do. There's certainly no harm in releasing it on Steam alongside other platforms, indeed in a very minor way releasing on PC first might increase your game's "credibility" as to some people there's a difference between "this PC game is a shitty mobile port" and "this mobile game is a decent PC port". I'd say it's fine to release on Steam first, but also aim to give it a decent port to mobile. When the mobile port is done, make a thread on toucharcade, there's a decent amount of anti-free2play people there that give feedback to devs regularly

>>342932829
Really? Well you didn't really communicate it since all previous enemies were only killed by bullets and I didn't see anything special about the boss arena. I assume in the finished product you'll indicate it more clearly.

>>342932920
Yes but since no other block in the game was anything other than a platform I didn't think to check there. That dog game guy had a similar problem in their game. In his second level you were supposed to avoid humans throwing rock and get to the goal, but the tutorial gave two ways of dealing with human opponents and the area you start looks like a fight arena. The third level was a puzzle where you were meant to use a dig spot to lure a human out then bark to scare the second, but the "diggable spot" texture was repeated in the same area as nothing but floor decoration and the tutorial didn't explain barking at all.

Your game is probably too early to worry about stuff like that but still, it's something you should keep in mind moving forward.
>>
>>342933171
Yes it's essentially Bandcamp but for indie games. You can set up pay want you want or make it free.
>>
Been making a shitty game where you cut out letters from magazines in order to make ransom notes. It grades you on your performance and there's a loose story going on in the background, but it's utterly shallow. It's basically let's play bait.

What else do I add to make sure I get maximum middleschooler lunch money?
>>
>>342933317
Thank you for the critism. In the final game, all of what you just played in the early prototype is the tutorial stage. I will have messages popping up at certain points telling the player what they can in levels, as well as give hints during the boss fights.

I will also make those blocks more obvious. When I make a texture for the blocks, it will be a darker shade or might have a few noticeable crack in it.
>>
File: Smash Prototype.png (108 KB, 531x390) Image search: [Google]
Smash Prototype.png
108 KB, 531x390
>>
>>342933557
sounds rad

make it funny, give it a nice presentation (doesn't have to be slick, it can just look like Papers Please), maybe has some sort of progression like said game. That's an idea, instead of managing an unseen family you... do something else? Maybe you get to see police report responses that are different depending on how nice your ransom notes are?
>>
>>342933557
That sounds really cool. I can't wait to see free shots or gameplay soon.
>>
>>342932183
Oh cool, thank you
>>
File: 1466764427204.webm (967 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1466764427204.webm
967 KB, 360x360
Was AGDG mean to you guys or something?

Not that I'm criticizing, they're a bunch of salty cunts over there.
>>
>>342933784
*screenshots
>>
>>342933820
That's a really odd shape for a beehive
>>
>>342933820
Nah we're just a bunch of v devs who avoid that cesspool
>>
>>342933741
Yeah it's going to be completely humor driven.
It's been super easy to code, but the hard part is thinking all the ways I can make the game react to what people write.
It knows if you swear, it knows if you misspell, it knows if you don't follow the general idea of what the kidnappers want you to write.
It knows if you try to use random capitalization to leave a hidden message.. Not much else.
>>
>>342930494
Is that cat a fucking gangbanger?

>>342933820
I think it's more just slow for these fellas. And the last thing that general needs is more shitposting to stir up conversation.
>>
>>342933630
Good man. For maximum teaching, put those special breakable blocks or whatever in the tutorial stage in a very obvious and simple way. That way you know the player has learned that mechanic exists and has experienced it for themselves, so you can be a bit more confident with putting it in more subtle areas later. Players learn better by doing things than reading text prompts, especially when you look at shitty Let's Players. Among the ones that ignore text and cutscenes, if you make them perform an action then at least they'll know they can do it as opposed to only telling them about it.

Obviously don't go overboard like taking control away from the player for a long time and making them do the action x times before letting them continue, that might be too much.
>>
>>342933820
They do a lot more shit posting than developing.
>>
File: giphy.gif (149 KB, 450x255) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
149 KB, 450x255
>>342933820
That looks fucking delicious
>>
>>342934008
Ooh, you could do a branching story with that. Do you totally help the kidnappers and get a cut on the ransom or do you try to undermine them by sending hidden messages? Will the police make it publicly known that you're secretly helping them or not? Will the kidnappers catch? If you help them, will they turn on you anyway? Such suspense. You could make it a set storyline or like a randomly generated on each time with those ideas.
>>
>>342933820
gamedev threads on /v/ have several advantages over agdg

firstly, /v/ is talking about video games for once
secondly, the OC you post has an audience of actual players
>>
>>342931878
Well you can post some goddamn music for starters.
>>
>>342931401
>>342932635
Damn, just wanted to say props to this anon for giving excellent advice and constructive feedback beyond the usual "lol ur game sux." And you're exactly right, every indie game needs a gimmick to stand out, something to make it unique and thus successful.
>>
File: gobber 2.png (10 KB, 574x383) Image search: [Google]
gobber 2.png
10 KB, 574x383
So, I'm the anon who decided to make a fetish game inspired by the old OPs where you capture slutty monster girls and level them up along various paths in order to build up your invincible army/harem and take over the world.

Here's the latest version of the WIP sprite I last posted. There's also a non-thick base body and six separate breast sizes at the moment. I'm going to be adding in a full spectrum of thickness and muscle later. I think I'm going to move on to animations next (wish me luck).

How do you like it?
>>
How do you all feel about looking at character designs? It's for a game I'm working on, but I'm still mostly in the outlining stage (basic conceptual shit and just laying out the thing in RPG Maker). I'm asking because I don't have anything as far as game assets to shill yet so I'm unsure.
>>
>>342935614
Looks alright.
>>
>>342935614
>greenskin
>black short bob with straight cut bangs
>thicc
You're pushing all the right buttons anon.
>>
>>342935656
I wouldn't mind seeing them.
>>
File: jelloon.gif (15 KB, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
jelloon.gif
15 KB, 96x96
I made this recently.
>>
Are romhacks welcome?
>>
>>342936259
Middle to end is a bit jagged.
Beginning is smooth and nice. Keep it up anon
>>
>>342936603
Don't see why not. Post them.
>>
>>342936603
Are you the guy who's making that cute SMW hack?
>>
post dev music
>>
File: dancer_concept1.png (547 KB, 908x1500) Image search: [Google]
dancer_concept1.png
547 KB, 908x1500
>>342935656
>>342936183
Alright.

Anyway this isn't exactly my best work not that my best work is good anyway but who cares as it's basically a rather fast sketch.

The character's a sort of dancer class, hence the wear. The second set is me messing around with a not very well developed theoretical, but I saw a backless design somewhere and wanted to try it out.

Most of it'll be lost being downsized to rpg maker sprite size but hey.
>>
File: NyB3Elj.png (11 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
NyB3Elj.png
11 KB, 256x224
>>342936796
I'm working on a Super Mario World romhack called "Super Mario World: Over the Mountain". Mario has to climb a mountain to reach Bowser. The story is pretty shallow and is pretty much an excuse to have level diversity. It's nothing crazy and plays pretty much exactly like the original SMW, but I'm really putting a lot of care into aesthetics and level design. I have a short demo of it, and I'm releasing a slightly longer demo in a few days.

Hack thread: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=82116

Demo download: http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/28099/SMW%2B-%2BOTM.zip

>>342936904
Nah. It is an SMW hack, but I haven't ever posted it here.
>>
>>342937163
It sounds like a pretty cool hack. I haven't played rom hacks in a long time, but maybe I might try playing more of them some time soon.
>>
>>342937095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvpyLWf5X8Y
>>
thred ded
>>
>>342939237
why don't you go to /agdg/
>>
>>342939371
y don't u asshole
>>
File: gobber 3.png (9 KB, 577x377) Image search: [Google]
gobber 3.png
9 KB, 577x377
>>342935614
Here's a fresh gobber. This is one of the positions you can bang in.

>>342937136
You're pretty good, anon. Her left arm looks a little weird, but that probably doesn't really matter for concept art. It might really help in transferring it to sprite format if you coloured it first, since colour and shading is what really matters with really small sprites.
>>
>>342933820
Is this new terraria gameplay leak
>>
>>342943374
do you have a site?

i would love to play this game
>>
File: iwtftu.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
iwtftu.png
39 KB, 321x322
>>342930494

> dress cat
>>
>>342946301
Thanks for your interest, anon. I don't have a site yet, but I might put one together once I've got a little more to show. In the meantime, I'm going to keep shitting up /v/ game dev threads and then probably move to /weg/ on /aco/ once these die off.
>>
QUICK, GIVE ME SOME GAME IDEAS
>>
>>342947370

You play as a millipede that has lost all but 2 of your legs. You have to travel the world at an excruciatingly slow pace, collecting legs so that you can speed up. When you collect all your legs you get eaten by a bird
>>
File: 11055424232409947881.gif (131 KB, 800x945) Image search: [Google]
11055424232409947881.gif
131 KB, 800x945
>>342947370
A game where you inflate a blue bear.
>>
>>342947370

An animal shelter where you get animals forgotten on the street, take care of them, do events to get donations and try to find them happy homes.
>>
>>342947528
wHEN I THINK doBSON CAN'T DO ANYTHING MORE RETARDED HE STRAIGHT UP STEALS ANIMATIONS FROM sHANTAE

Also fuck caps lock
>>
>>342947370

srpg about your farm and the animals you raise which you have to use to fight against other breeders.

a.k.a notpokemon srpg
>>
I'm going to make an SMT clone, give me ideas.
>>
>>342947804
too many of you guys these days

and every single one of you diss each other work
>>
>>342947506
A game where you lose no matter what. Nice.
>>
>>342946725
Ew pedo she's like 9 years old in the two day old canon I made.
>>
>>342947528
Wow, that looks like shit. He clearly does not understand the aspects of Shantae's design that make those animations work. The way he thickened the torso and changed the trousers to a fitted, non-genie variety make her like like a floppy, genderless thalidomide baby with two melons in its shirt.

Also why are her pants made of plastic and why is she still wearing genie shoes other than the fact that Dobson is a talentless unoriginal complacent hack.
>>
File: Might&Magic.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Might&Magic.png
2 MB, 1280x960
>>
File: iwtftu.jpg (55 KB, 662x644) Image search: [Google]
iwtftu.jpg
55 KB, 662x644
>>342948165

> 9 year old
>>
>>342948842
MOOODDDS
>>
Updated link for Cat Weapon: http://gamejolt.com/games/cat-weapon-early-prototype-version/160379
>>
File: 5b7.png (23 KB, 408x399) Image search: [Google]
5b7.png
23 KB, 408x399
>>342948165
>9 years old
>which is over 50 cat years
>>
>>342931739
>Quality should be first priority, and I suggest you to go to the amateur game dev thread on /vg/
/agdg/ is shit. i mean, people started to make game dev threads on this saltmine of a board because the shitposting was THAT bad on /vg/.

I know people hate that place, but reddit has a few good places to discuss game development.
>>
>>342930494
YOU AGAIN?
>>
>>342953116
Yes me again.
>>
>>342951672
She's the equivalent of a 9 year old girl
>>
>>342952862
truth spoken
quarter of the /agdg/'s content is /r9k/-tier memes about girlfriends, never finishing games and daily exercise, another quarter is some e-celeb drama, yet another quarter is memes about nodevs, enginedevs and other worthless shit and the final quarter is actual progress display
i really wish that general wasn't as shit as it is, reddit pisses me off even more and i don't know where else to go other than trying to get into some twitter/tumblr circles
>>
>>342953549
all amateur game dev communites are cancerous narcissistic circlejerks, the best you can do is find a group of developer friends
>>
Would you play a game where you're the chosen hero who shall lead your army to victory, and you use your body to encourage your troops?
>>
>>342953760
Is it a good game?
>>
>>342953760

depend on how good the art is.
and also how fun the gameplay is first.
If 3D, hell no though.
>>
>>342953312
Stop shilling your memegame as Devthread and fuck off already holy shit
>>
File: dev thread.png (43 KB, 442x756) Image search: [Google]
dev thread.png
43 KB, 442x756
>>342930494
If you're gonna make dev threads, please for the love of god at least ACT like its not just so you can promote your own game. Use this OP, or ANYTHING that isn't related to exactly 1 project, PLEASE.
>>
>>342955469
Not him but personally I don't have an issue with that. I would probably rather these threads have OPs like you said, but at the same time, they're still posting a game, and /v/ is about video games right?

That said, how do you guys feel about someone shilling their game on /v/? Is it a cheap way of trying to market games, or is it an opportunity for feedback and actually talking about the game itself?
>>
I finally decided to take a break on sprites and focus on coding again. Progress is finally being made.
I might have to find an artist someday.
>>
>>342956961
Shilling is bound to happen, but if you're gonna shill, just do it outright, dont act as if dev threads can be used for that with "Dev thread: just about MY game, edition"

Posting your demo in a dev thread is perfect, everyone will have a chance to try it and give feedback, but that's because the thread is an "every dev's thread" and not "hey check out my game" It's just retarded that OP is making 0 effort to hide that he's made the threads solely for the purpose of posting his own game
>>
>>342957178

remember to have a lot of ready dosh to lure them out, anon.
>>
>>342957178
good to hear. I think the coding is the most important part of game development since it leads to the actual game part of the game. I recommend just using programmer art honestly, and deciding/focusing on the art style later, to match the game.

That said I think it is possible to develop different aspects of a game at the same time. I think the issue is it's a balancing act that's much harder to balance when you're a one-man team.
>>
>>342958013
My team is of 3 people, but I pretty much do all the heavy lifting myself by coding and spriting (the other two are a modeller and a designer/writer)

The main issue with my game is that the battle skills are tied to animation since you need timed hits, so I need to draw at least really shitty placeholders to code the attacks, the issue is that I feel like my art is rusted because I spent 4 months on hiatus due to life/classes.

So I'm just coding UI stuff and other smal things while I get back my drawing drive.
>>
>>342958537
I see. Are you making a demo/prototype or are you making the full game? I can see why you might want an artist. Might be difficult though if you need to find someone who can do specific animations that match the gameplay.
>>
File: dienworlds_animated.gif (3 MB, 1016x854) Image search: [Google]
dienworlds_animated.gif
3 MB, 1016x854
Someone on /egg/ made a nice gif of my freeware game

https://thetagames.itch.io/dienworlds
>>
>>342959412
not pixel art.
>>
>>342944968
jej

>>342930494
>pixel platformer
I'm not interested

That first post was a great one and explained why. Even if it had a strong hook to get me interested, it'd STILL be a pixel platformer which is probably the last thing I'd want to play.

>>342959412
Now that looks interesting.
>>
File: demo+boss.png (13 KB, 413x423) Image search: [Google]
demo+boss.png
13 KB, 413x423
Hi we have a shitty discord about game deving, please join it
or don't I don't give a single fuck
https://discord.gg/0wjqct9qJ3JlMthP
>>
>>342930494
Just finished playing the game OP. So far so good, you've certainly got more mechanics in place than I've ever made. That said, I don't think I saw any particularly new/interesting mechanics in this (though I'm comparing to official games too). I wouldn't say that's a bad thing, I think it's important to get the experience of creating a game at all. You can "beat" this prototype, so that's good.

That said, taking the game as a prototype, I think it could be set up slightly better. Specifically in its level design. I think the level should be set up so that players quickly go through each mechanic one by one, to really show off the game. You can perform every mechanic you have in the game, so that's good, but later on the level kind of meanders and has a maze-like section that I think just wastes time in a prototype. (I'd save the maze level design for when you're designing the "actual game.")

So, I recommend making your level more straightforward and try to make it so every mechanic is utilized one by one, which you already did rather well. I think the only mechanic that's not shown off is to shoot from ladders. You can do it in your prototype, but I would make it mandatory to pass the level, if possible.

As for the final boss, the level design is set up to make you think you're supposed to shoot the red squares, so I sat there shooting it for about 2 straight minutes wondering if he would die or not because the game has no audio or visual feedback whether enemies get hurt or not.

I guess it might take away from the "discovery" aspect, but I would just make the blocks you can shoot blue (or any other color that's not red or black) to give them a visual indicator that you can interact with them. Again, as a prototype, you want players to get through all the mechanics as quickly as possible.
>>
>>342959471
Indeed, it isn't pixel art. What does this have to do with my post, though?
>>
I need more games to play and give feedback to.

>>342959412
You mind if I give you feedback to this? I dunno how finished or not you are with it. (just downloaded it.)
>>
File: grab(4).webm (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
grab(4).webm
1 MB, 1366x768
>>
>>342960512
Nothin really. Just making a joke because someone posted the gif in an older thread asking if it counted as pixel art or not, and I didn't answer them then.
>>
>>342960686
I keep seeing this, and I have no idea what's happening. What is this game?
>>
>>342960872
Gnu/Linuxtale
>>
This is the first game i completely finish, first time in steam too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457980/
>>
>>342959082
Yes it is a full game, though I think we can hold off on hiring an artist until the game is done, then we just need to redo the assets.
The art style is simple so it shouldn't be too hard to make, but I am not looking forward since from what I heard artists charge a huge ammount for a few frames and the animations in my game have a ton of frames each (since they are handdrawn)
>>
>>342961016
>http://store.steampowered.com/app/457980/
Can I have a key for it? I guarantee i'm not going to buy it but good on you for finishing your game
>>
>>342961025
I see. Well, good luck with your game anon I hope all goes well and you find the money to hire an appropriate artist.
>>
>>342947528
Why are her arms so short and stubby? Birth defect?
>>
>>342960719
yes, that was me - I was joking
>>
>>342961016
Very nice. The game looks decent. I see it got mixed reviews, but I also saw you guys added updates where you considered the feedback you got, so that's really good to hear. Good luck on making good games anon!
>>
>>342960609
>You mind if I give you feedback to this?
Feedback is more than welcome. The game is more-or-less finished, but I am always still tweaking things (like "balance"), and have updated a few times since 1.0.0. Also, if I ever think of reasonable features to add that would fit, I might put them in the game.

Thank you for giving it a try.
>>
>>342937163
Looks pretty good. Is it going to be vanilla? Those and choconilla are my favorite.
>>
>>342961214
Sorry mate, cant do that but thanks.

>>342961862
Yeah, had some troubles but we manage to solve it. Thanks, we are working on them!
>>
>>342960183
Thanks for the critism. In the final version, the game will be longer, most of the levels in the prototype will be tutorial levels in order, more mechanics will be shown off and the way of beating the boss will be indicated more clearly.
>>
>>342962482
>Can't do that
Dev confirmed for jew hope your game flops you fucking fat piece of shit fucking zombies in 2016 are you fucking serious m8 it doesn't even hold a candle to 3.3m why don't you go back to the drawing board you fucking shitterSeriously though good job on your game. I'll pirate it then
>>
>>342961940
I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'll figure it out.
I refuse to read the manual.
>>
>>342963786
You might want to at least look at the section that lists the controls.
>>
>>342963870
a, z, t, f, and space, right? Don't worry I got it.

Minor thing, sometimes the zeroes look like D's. it's a bit confusing.
>>
>>342964128
Yep, those are the main controls.

Also, you should be able to change the console font (also the size) by right-clicking on the top bar of the application, selecting "properties," then going to the "font" tab. Just don't pick something so big that scrollbars appear in the window (the screen won't display then). If you accidentally do this, just revert back and restart the exe (Shift-S saves your progress).
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-22+at+10.07.01).png (21 KB, 517x567) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-22+at+10.07.01).png
21 KB, 517x567
Bump
>>
>>342965114
Welp, I couldn't figure it out. I'm caving in. I'm reading the manual.

At this point, I'm not gonna mess around with the options at all, but
>having options that can break the game
Is there not a way to stop players from making the console fonts too big?
>>
>>342966679
Will this game ever be done?
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-21+at+12.06.44).png (21 KB, 1278x286) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-21+at+12.06.44).png
21 KB, 1278x286
>>342968037
Soonâ„¢
>>
File: itemsplit3.jpg (538 KB, 1218x1364) Image search: [Google]
itemsplit3.jpg
538 KB, 1218x1364
doing boring stuff today, added GUI/mechanism to split your item stacks in inventory

Steam game is http://store.steampowered.com/app/279070 if anyone's interested

Have a key whilst ur at it, last 3 unsused ones I have downloaded
A59HH-YPFLA-P9IVN
ZXDJZ-AC5EA-4V3JX
DTP97-HBL2Z-DR6GZ
>>
>>342966679
i want to fuck that plant girl
>>
>>342968037
you meant to say "will this game ever be started?"
>>
>>342968431
>DTP97-HBL2Z-DR6GZ
thanks
>>
>>342968431
thanks mate
>>
>>342953930
What the fuck is your problem? These threads are made specifically for us aspiring devs to show our progress. Also how is that a "memegame"?
>>
>>342968431
Oh shit a game I recognize! I loved 9th Dawn! I play on mobile though. Haven't played 2 yet tho.
>>
>>342968431
do i need to play the prequels 1-8th dawn before i start this?
>>
File: countertop_test.jpg (73 KB, 242x254) Image search: [Google]
countertop_test.jpg
73 KB, 242x254
I'm stuck with the exact artstyle that's best for me.
Out of these 3 variants, the middle one is the one I would like to go with, but the problem is that it doesn't permit large surfaces as they end up locking like monocolored blocks.

The only ways I could work against that is to either texturize the large surfaces (like in the top one) or split them up with lots of details (like the bottom one), but my problem is that texturing them makes them end up having too many different shades, and detailing them is atriociously time ineffective.
>>
>>342932286
Fuck off, meme shitter. People not being given constructive criticism and instead just told they're a perfect little snowflake is what has led to this fucking tumblr society we're having to endure.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-14+at+10.36.32).png (20 KB, 313x604) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-14+at+10.36.32).png
20 KB, 313x604
>>342968437
You and the majority of the board.
>>342968535
But I have started it, its the keep working on it part that's the trouble.
>>
>>342969202
Yeah I like the second one the most.
>>
>>342968907
no way! 9d2 is much better, im actually somewhat happy with it. I hate 9d1 now, it was so bad

>>342969139
1-8 were development builds that never saw the light of day- so no. i'll try dig up screenshots
>>
>>342969202
just add a tiny detail like a small carbing into those squares, something that's easy and quick to do

I feel like that should help with the monotony
>>
>>342969202
i like the first one, dont know why
>>
>>342969468
Call me cheap, I'm hoping for a sale on 2. Like, I'd absolutely buy it now at the steam price of 20% off, but I prefer playing these sorts of games on mobile.
>>
>>342969468
do i need to play 9th dawn 1 before 2 for story elements?
>>
>>342969339
keep working on it anon, you can do it! How often do you work on it?
>>
>>342933820
this is making me itchy
>>
>>342969785
No it's unrelated, although I'm remaking 1 which might link in a bit more
>>
>>342966679
fuck off codoose
>>
Fuck I'm afraid I will have to redo the code for my interface since it has been so long since I last messed with it that I forgot what each function do.
>>
>>342935250
I dont think you'd like what I got so far senpai
>>
File: tumblr_inline_n9k5pzg7IL1s2g1e2.png (161 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_n9k5pzg7IL1s2g1e2.png
161 KB, 500x367
>>342970090
>deadnaming
>>
>>342971476
I had to look up what that means
okay
fuck off streamkun
>>
File: CQCtWGkWgAAQnmf.png (432 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
CQCtWGkWgAAQnmf.png
432 KB, 500x700
>>342971625
Ok
>>
https://clyp.it/51xrmgqv

Does this sound like boss battle music?
>>
>>342971791
Nah, sounds like Naruto stage music.
>>
>>342971791
>https://clyp.it/51xrmgqv
its not a boss music but god i love it
>>
>>342971791
I honestly thought it would ramp up about 15 seconds in or so.

It's not great boss music, but it sounds pretty good for a level
>>
>>342971690
my game is better and you're a nigger
>>
File: gamedevhistory_sm.jpg (3 MB, 2592x6511) Image search: [Google]
gamedevhistory_sm.jpg
3 MB, 2592x6511
>>342969139
Here's games 1-8 if you're interested
>>
File: 1433800120820.jpg (62 KB, 859x492) Image search: [Google]
1433800120820.jpg
62 KB, 859x492
>>342972115
Being a gay shitposter on /s4s/ and /jp/ Isn't a game
>>
>>342971791
You should probably do what Dynasty Warrior does with its music; use eastern instruments to create a theme, and heavy instruments to create a tone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs7dk_E5jg
>>
>>342972421
being a faggot who just streams shit isn't a game either fuckface
>>
File: 1464312002664.png (245 KB, 630x357) Image search: [Google]
1464312002664.png
245 KB, 630x357
>>342972613
Its a good thing I don't stream then
>>
>>342972676
see you can't even do that right
just get rid of your name already
>>
File: 1451359049472.gif (3 MB, 245x263) Image search: [Google]
1451359049472.gif
3 MB, 245x263
>>342972776
That's not the only thing I'm gonna get rid of
>>
>>342972898
what else?
>>
>>342971907
>>342971996
>>342972102
>>342972607
thanks for the feedback. Does the part where it does ramp up sound close to boss music? (I may just end up using it as a level theme instead). I deliberately didn't make the first part as "pumped up" because I wanted to get a sense of "focus" into it. (I'm idea guying the game as a samurai game where the sword fights are very focused but intense.)
>>
File: 1425515183793.jpg (179 KB, 788x651) Image search: [Google]
1425515183793.jpg
179 KB, 788x651
>>342972898
>tfw no MHX for vita
>>
>>342973193
>thanks for the feedback. Does the part where it does ramp up sound close to boss music?
No, i actually was hoping for that, but it doesnt feel like big battle. Try reducing the intro, make the music faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFVJQO66Qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWFy09vlYuw

I hope this helps
>>
>>342972607
does that mean this song is a remix of a theme that plays earlier?
>>
>>342973193
...No? The tone doesn't really suggest "I might not win this". Compare this to the mini boss music from Wind Waker. The heavy base and frenetic pace suggest difficult combat without going into heavy metal territory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmX6VpLj5S4
>>
File: not mine.png (215 KB, 600x457) Image search: [Google]
not mine.png
215 KB, 600x457
That feel when you will never make homm inspired strategy game
>>
>>342974014
>>342974043
Hmm, alright. I feel like those songs have a dark/frantic quality. I think I'll try to make another song attempt at a proper boss theme, and reuse this one as a stage theme instead, dunno if I want to rework it. That said, as a stage theme, where in the game would you guys expect it? like early game or late game, etc?
>>
>>342975254
whoops, one of my replies was to myself. I meant to reply to >>342974092 too.
>>
>>342975254
Based on a three act structure, early to mid-game.
If its a Metroidvania you can put it wherever, I guess.
>>
File: tnc1.png (203 KB, 539x907) Image search: [Google]
tnc1.png
203 KB, 539x907
This will be out on Friday. Don't expect but as simple choose your own path clicker.
>>
>>342975717
Alright. I'll probably use it as like a 3rd stage theme or something then.

Thanks again for the feedback guys!
>>
>>342975895
Get ready for Nintendo to come and fuck you in the butt
>>
>>342975254
Not level 1, i would go nuts and said that. I wouldnt feel like that or tutorial. If the player knows all the basics, go for it.
>>
>>342977000
>dubs and trips

Implying I don't own Nintendo.

Pro Tip: I don't
>>
>>342975895
Why didn't you just make your own sprites?
>>
File: game1.png (246 KB, 1083x404) Image search: [Google]
game1.png
246 KB, 1083x404
right now i'm making a shitty space rpg maker game

i just want to fuck off and escape and explore the universe
>>
>>342967137
>Is there not a way to stop players from making the console fonts too big?
Those are windows console options in the first place, so no, not in a way that I'm aware. The game uses pdcurses, which itself just prints to the console (allowing things like colored text, and bold - but not specific font sizes or typefaces).
>>
>>342968431
you make that gui editor yourself or did you modify something??
>>
File: fan service.png (192 KB, 801x514) Image search: [Google]
fan service.png
192 KB, 801x514
>>342977701
Because I want to make a small project and finish it and custom sprites are very time consuming.

Besides that, I'm having more fun seeing what I can come up with the limited Emoji set and custom characters.
>>
File: gunshot.png (135 KB, 1025x617) Image search: [Google]
gunshot.png
135 KB, 1025x617
ive only started to animate and its awful. but the models are good tho.
>>
>>342979483
lmao ok dude
>>
How do I learn Game Maker Studio? Any recommended tutorials?
>>
>>342980982
this
>>
>>342980982
It's all visual based programming so you can't get any simpler. The program's packed with tutorials, but ultimately it's up to you to understand and create structures. It'll get a lot easier with practice.

Speaking of mechanics, I'm shitty rpg maker guy in early planning stages reporting in again. I'm thinking of having multi part enemies like humans where you can hit their arms or whatever enough and it'll count as a nonlethal victory. Does it sound like it's worth the effort or should I just invest in killing the things in more interesting ways instead

At the risk of sounding greedy I'd appreciate more opinions on the character sketch I posted earlier, specifically which of the two to develop
>>
File: LrfzrLB.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
LrfzrLB.png
8 KB, 256x224
>>342962307
I don't know if you're still here. I just woke up. It's going to be choconilla. I want to keep the style and feel of the original SMW, but I don't want to be limited from what I can do to make a fun game.
>>
File: 1340690533650.png (394 KB, 810x630) Image search: [Google]
1340690533650.png
394 KB, 810x630
What's you guys' pipeline? What order do you work your game in? Do you first set up the audio/visual assets and then figure out the code or do you first work out the gameplay with placeholders?
>>
>>342983507
You ideally set up a design document with everything you need first, that way you know what you're doing and not just hacking at it piecemeal.
>>
>>342983507
First I draw concepts of what I want for characters/gameplay, then I start coding with placeholder graphics.
>>
>>342983507
I start with an idea (sometimes not fully-fledged) and just start trying to code it. I can always add stuff later; I just want to get a working game in. I generally don't have elaborate design documents - if I do, they are merely lists to keep track of units/items/whatever alongside relevant IDs used for these objects in the code.

Art/visuals come in somewhere along this process. I often work on making it look nice alongside coding it, so I don't have to stare at programmer art the whole time (though, I'm terrible at drawing anyway, so this step is more about aesthetically arranging colors and simple graphics).

Music is next; I like writing music a lot, and often spend a lot of time on it. Coding and writing music are my favorite two parts of the process.

Last is sound effects. I put them in after music, because I want them to work with the music, and I want to have to fine-tune levels only last.
>>
>asks cute brown elf for sex
>your character gets anal penetration with a horse strap-on
>afterwards, she asks if you're still the leader of the team
>player cannot respond, paralyzed with ecstasy, also because of their ball-gag
>>
should bugs have cartoony normal eyes or cartoony compound eyes
>>
>>342983842
>>342984007
>>342984387
Thanks for the replies and the advice. I'm still learning the basics of the whole procedure, I haven't began any real work of my own (except for two tutorials where I made really simple games following guides). I suck at programming, but I'm willing to learn enough to make a game that's functional.
>>
>>342985812
Kinda depends, although generally regular eyes would be more likeable
>>
>>342983310
>swimming in space
I like this already.
>>
File: 8Xe9C7h.png (5 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
8Xe9C7h.png
5 KB, 256x224
>>342986502
Thanks, anon. For this level only, your fireball go straight forward like a space shooter.
>>
>>342986502
Also, I failed to see your namefag and called you "anon". oops.
>>
File: eyes.png (6 KB, 190x108) Image search: [Google]
eyes.png
6 KB, 190x108
>>342985812
Well if youre going for a creep look I'd say compound. If trying to be cute, normal or eyes like these.
>>
>>342986825
Cool looking forward to this!

>>342986943
Tripcoder is the correct term. Get it right, kid.
>>
>>342987416
You're just a namefag, when you actually have a tripcode. I'll call you a tripfag.
>>
>>342983310
Looks good so far mate. Wish you luck.
>>
>>342987416
Tripfags have actual tripcodes. With passwords and shit.
>>
>>342987416
nope, you're a namefag, you fucking idiot
>>
>>342972212
Pretty cool to actually see a cutout of how someone's attempts at gamedev have progressed.
>>
File: OfoFskA.png (8 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
OfoFskA.png
8 KB, 256x224
>>342987613
Thanks. I've been working on it for a few months now. I've thought about posting about it before, but I didn't want to be guilty of whoring myself out on /v/.
>>
>>342979547
>but the models are good tho
Can't see it.
>>
>>342988153
Holy shit. I forgot to remove my name. I'm fucking blowing it.
>>
>>342988251
chill, anon. it happens
>>
So, I wanna make a sprite based Tactics RPG like Rance. Where do I start?

Well, really it's more of a mix of Rance and Fire Emblem set in a fantasy Europe, with a gritty Berserk tone. It's got demons and shit too. Also, a lot of the units are inspired by real and legendary people. Macbeth, the Highlander, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round, Sir Gots, Ragnar and his children, etc...

I'm an artfag and know fuck all about programming, but I'm willing to learn.
>>
>>342988789
You have a couple options.

Look for a programmer to collaborate with not recommended, everyone should do their first games by themselves to have some understanding of the entire process.

Learn programming from the basics and build up slowly. You don't be able to tackle a project like you described easily as your first.

Just drive headfirst into an engine like GameMaker or Unity depending on if you want 2d or 3d. Trial and error until you make something.
>>
>>342989169
2D is the main idea, I've done 3D modelling before, but it's a fucking hassle. 2D is my forte in art, and I'd rather work with sprites. Especially since 2D animation is easier to make flashy and appealing than 3D.
>>
File: Sill-dog.png (981 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sill-dog.png
981 KB, 1024x768
>>342988789
I would play it, anon. Why hasn't this been done?
>>
>>342989320
For 2d GameMaker is probably your best bet.

I've no idea what GM uses for scripting but I'd still argue it would be good to get a basic understanding of programming before going into an engine. Someone else might be able to give recommendations on what language is closest to whatever GM uses.

Also don't make all the art from the start. Use a few sprites and tiles to proto and you can use working on the art slowly along the project to keep your sanity.
>>
>>342989779
>Someone else might be able to give recommendations on what language is closest to whatever GM uses.
It's remotely similar to C++
>>
>>342989564
Beats me.

The idea came to me after playing Awakening and being disappointed. Game basically made me wanna go back and play Rance again, especially since Rance handled relationship building a lot better, but FE does a good job at making the battles quite a bit more tactical than Rance.

As ideas started coming together, I felt that a fantasy Europe would be a good setting since I wanted to use Arthur and Ragnar and Vlad the Impaler (with his Vampire Army), and with all that, and the idea of having demons like Kichikuou and Sengoku Rance, I started to look toward Berserk for inspiration.

So I guess it'd be the SMTxFE game everyone wanted to play but we never got.

I'd make the combat a bit more chess-like than FE. Got a whole document full of notes and mechanics written down.

Then I felt, "why not make it?" It's marketable, especially since it's a rather good genre, and if done well, it could be playable on mobile devices and PC. And since Mobile device has a severe drought of decent games, it might be doable. After all, Rance was low budget and done by a small team.
>>
File: BigJimWalks.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
BigJimWalks.webm
3 MB, 720x480
Making more Big Jim progress (which, in turn, means progress toward a major Demo update!)

Big Jim can now walk forward and then eventually turn around, and his attacks update based on that (so they don't break arena bounds). Also made progress toward the "close shoot" attack; it looks busted here (if it doesn't get cut off by the webm) because the delay is mis-set on the Grunts turning into homing missiles, that's just a tuning thing though.

Also, lots of tweaks to player movement.

ALSO also added Free Slay mode, I forget if I showed /v/ that. It's like THPS Free Skate, the timer goes away but objectives can't be completed, it also comes with tons of training mode info so you can learn the details of how attack anims function, where hurtboxes are, etc.
>>
File: combat.png (305 KB, 462x881) Image search: [Google]
combat.png
305 KB, 462x881
>>342987524
>>342987743
>>342987989
Ah ok, my apologies.
>>
>>342989779
Yeah, I haven't made any art yet. Though I might make a couple promotional drawings of Arthur and a couple other notable units, the map maybe, but I wanna know what I can do, and how hefty the project is before doing anything.

My younger brother (who just finished hs) wants to learn programming and has an interest in making games, so perhaps there might be something there.
>>
>>342990273
LMAOOOO wow youre stupid and using art that isnt yours.
>>
>>342988789
Sounds like you have good footing for what you want. If you can afford it a good way to start is to take classes at a community college, provided you're having trouble learning on your own.
Think one class here is about 600?

Just wish I could take to programming like I did 3D modeling.
>>
>>342989169
>Just drive headfirst into an engine like GameMaker or Unity depending on if you want 2d or 3d. Trial and error until you make something.
This is the only way.

I speak from experience.

Stop planning and get to work.
>>
>>342991169
It depends a lot on how stupid you are.
>>
>>342991281
everyone's stupid. it's the people who don't give up that actually learn things.
>>
File: CUeJ1fEUEAACjXw.png (37 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
CUeJ1fEUEAACjXw.png
37 KB, 450x350
>>342961754
ripped Shantae sprites like the other anons mentioned

but to further elaborate Shantae on that same stance has her arms stretched back and behind her.
>>
>>342991449
This.

It's not about what you know, just how willing you are to learn and work.
>>
>>342990273
How can you be this bad senpai
Thread replies: 231
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.