[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are daggers always held like this in stealth games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64
File: ur one sneaky cunt m8.jpg (20 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
ur one sneaky cunt m8.jpg
20 KB, 600x300
Why are daggers always held like this in stealth games?
>>
Good for slashing and stabbing?
>>
because it allows for a more effective downward stabbing motion.
>>
Because you put out more strength in a hammer-like motion rather than a jabbing motion.
>>
>>342930065
At least the blade is facing forward.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icepick_grip
>>
>>342930181
holding it "normally" is a hammer grip anon

try holding a tool ever
>>
>>342930065
Far more effective for stabbing and fits the angles of attacking from behind better.
>>
>>342930256
I'd suggest you take your own advice and also look at a basic muscle group chart while you're at it.

A hammer like motion is where the pinky-sided part of your hand is where the force is spearheaded. A jabbing motion uses different muscles and can't put out as much force.

Do me a favor.
Go test a hammer, go checkout a basic muscle chart, then come back here and give me the typical "hurr I was only pretending to be retarded" spiel that you guys normally give.
>>
Looks cool I guess. Lots of things in video games are done because they look cool even if they wouldn't be of much use in real life.
>>
If you're sneaking around you don't need the reach advantage of holding it in a thrust position so you go for more power with the downward spiking position.

Humans are stronger at pulling than the are at pushing because there's bigger and more muscles in your back, to help the motion, as opposed to pushing motions that are only really assisted by your titty muscles.
>>
>>342930065
for driving the blade down. holding the knife otherwise is more effective in a head on fight as you have a better range of motion and therefore the attack is less predictable. one of the quickest ways to kill someone is by driving a knife down between their neck and collarbone, which is why i assume they hold the knife like that in stealth games. holding it the other way would be more effective for attacking everything other than stabbing at the neck.

of course it could just be because it looks cool.
>>
>>342930331
Sure, but why hold it sideways?
>>
There was that scene in Secondhand Lions where Robert Duvall said the punk holding a knife like that was a giant retard and then kicked his ass.

Since that movie is great, Robert Duvall must be right and this must be an ineffective way to hold a knife.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U

learn something you nerds
>>
>>342930256
That would make a slashing motion, idiot.
>>
>>342931569
So the player can see it clearly.

If you haven't noticed, FPS characters generally don't move their arms in the most realistic way.
>>
>>342931569
So you don't accidentally shank yourself if you fall awkwardly
>>
>>342931620
A lot of martial artists used to think that it was a shit way to hold a knife because it's most often used by people who don't know what the fuck they're doing. If you train using the icepick method it can be one of the deadliest ways to use a knife though.
>>
>>342930065
Because vidya devs know notjing about knife work so they put in all the epik action movie cool stuffs they remember from films instead.
>>
>>342931684
I think that was OP's point. Not the whole muh hammer grip shite everyone's on about.

>>342931752
Are you legally retarded?
>>
Wolfenstein did it right.
>>
>>342931623
This is cool. There's something about hearing old people talking about ways of killing people that's weirdly cool, how chill they are at explaining things.
>"I don't have to push it forward"
>"Just grab him and pull him onto the knife."
>>
>>342932110
>not practicing safety when handling blades

I dunno, are you?
>>
>>342931623
There are different styles of knife-fighting.
>>
>>342930065
What a retarded weapon for a fight.

If you try to stab me with a dagger, what is stopping me to deliver a powerful front kick right into your chest, smashing your diaphragm and seriously hampering your ability to breathe ?

Or I can even hop back and -while you're staggering on your feet after missing me- quickly spin to smash your head with a roundhouse kick.

A dagger is nothing but an immobile stick against someone who has mastered the art of Krav Maga or even Karate. Your paper knife gets robbed by the empty hand and vanishes into nothingness.
>>
>>342930065
Because the only realism video game autists want is graphics
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>342932701
>>
>>342932701
If the opponent is just as skilled as you or moreso, then you wouldn't be able to do those things now, would you? Your hypothetical only works if you have a significant advantage in terms of skill over your opponent. Between two combatants of roughly equal skill, a weapon can easily make all the difference.
>>
File: df34fg.jpg (342 KB, 566x848) Image search: [Google]
df34fg.jpg
342 KB, 566x848
According to spec ops shit, holding the knife in a downward fashion helps in combat since you can also use your elbow to protect yourself.
>>
File: SP1-Shiki.png (106 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
SP1-Shiki.png
106 KB, 512x512
>>342930065
Because it looks cool.
>>
>>342932701
I love this meme!
>>
>>342932701
yeah but what if your opponent was born in the shadows and the knife is 6 inches of nippon steel folded on itself thousands of times?
>>
>>342932881

This sound entirely reasonable, with a regular hold you'd stab yourself trying to use your elbow.
>>
>>342932701
all the training and martial arts in the world can't save you from getting stabbed while you're distracted
>>
>>342932881
>Stab elbow
>Tacticool scrub can't use his knife anymore
>>
the best self defense when going against a guy armed with a knife is just to run
>>
File: 1465146907990.jpg (53 KB, 500x541) Image search: [Google]
1465146907990.jpg
53 KB, 500x541
I remember somebody posted a video of a cop telling you what to do against a guy with a knife.

>What if he grabs you by the shirt?
>Well you're fucked then.
>mfw
>>
It depends on the style you practice and the type of knife you're using. Some knives are more ideal for reverse grips, and there are even knives deliberately designed to be more effective when held in reverse.
>>
>>342932701
You can't kick me if I just teleport behind you
>>
Did secret agents/special forces/etc commonly use daggers/blades to perform stealth kills in the early to mid 1900s, or has it been widely exaggerated in pop culture?

I just realized I know nothing about this subject and it'd be pretty interesting to learn about.
>>
>>342932881

>protect yourself with your forearm
>get all your tendons cut
>can't use hand to grip anything
>helps in combat

I'm not sure about this, anon.
>>
Everyone runs faster with a knife.
>>
>>342931080
Nigga got bodied lmao
>>
>>342933274
>exposing your back
>not just shooting the fucker
>>
>>342932701
What a retarded post about a fight.

If you try to hit me with a fist, what is stopping me to deliver a powerful front stab right into your chest, piercing your lungs and seriously hampering your ability to breathe ?

Or I can even hop back and -while you're staggering on your feet after missing me- quickly stop time to WRYYYYY your head with a garbage container.

A unarmed attack is nothing but folly against someone who has mastered the art of [fighting style] and is also armed. Your extremities gets slashed by the blade and makes every attack of yours an injury.
>>
>>342930065
its because it is easier to disarm a person when the knife is pointed inward, also if the knife is pointed outwards you can bring your arm up to your chest without stabbing yourself.

its a basic martial art training lesson to disarm a person wielding a knife, holding the knife this way makes it safer for the user
>>
>>342933424
Better to get stabbed in the arm than in the heart, I guess?
>>
>>342933414
yes

this grip is a meme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U
>>
>>342930065
Cause it looks cool you fucking autist.
>>
>>342933450
don't worry, i have turbo thrusters affixed to my shoes; he'll never catch up to me
>>
>>342933450
im not some hillbilly redneck gun owner
>>
>>342933414
I distinctly remember an SAS turned actor correcting a director on a scene about the sound a man makes when he's been stabbed/throat has been slit. It's definitely a thing that has been done.

But who knows when it comes to reverse grip. That shit might just be Hollywood.
>>
>>342933424
You use your elbow to push, grapple and keep distance. Not to literally block attacks like a street fighter character.
>>
>>342933471
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9N_d2KuY7A
>>
>>342933540
>One guy says it's wrong
>It's definitely wrong

He practices a single style of knife-fighting. There's more than one. Unless you can show me where it says that he's the best knife-fighter with the best style and the best knife, there's no reason to believe that he's the absolute authority. There are plenty of legitimate knife-fighting styles that employ a reverse-grip.
>>
>>342933414
garrotes, say hello to piano wire
>>
>>342933707
the bad part about garrotes is that you have to get it around the neck, which means spending a tiny bit more time that could be used just stabbing them somewhere that'd disable them
>>
>>342933692
I'll take the word of a seasoned vet who actually saw combat over a mcdojo or video game enthusiast
>>
>>342931569
Sideways is better for the kind of straight forward stabbing motion you would want when trying to hit vital organs through the back or stabbing the neck.
Straight up and down would be most effective for going through a guy's shoulder, but wouldn't go through the back as deeply unless he were bending over.
>>
>>342931080
>>342933448
standard knife grip is literally called "hammer grip" you dumb kids
>>
realism aside, having the player model hold the blade in the more more traditional way would have the weapon pointed toward the center of the screen creating visual obstruction to not only the view space the player can see but any ui elements that might be there
>>
>>342930065
It's effective for sneaky cunting, also basic martial arts. Whilist in direct combat of course it's less effective, if not pointless in many cases.
But if I recall right, during head on combat or overall not sneaky cunting, the knife is held normally, but only if I recall right. Been some time since I played dishonored.
>>
File: sdfhg.jpg (55 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
sdfhg.jpg
55 KB, 600x300
>>342930181
>hammer-like motion
>>
>>342933959
that grip is obviously for removing nails and not hammering them
>>
>>342933959
>>342933854
>>342931080
>The icepick grip, otherwise known as the "reverse grip", is a technique used in close range knifefighting, in which the blade protrudes from the bottom of the hand, rather than the top[1][2][3] ("natural" or "hammer" grip) of the closed fist, resembling the way one would normally use an icepick for its intended use; colloquially referred to as the "stabbing" grip.

t. wikipedia
>>
>>342931620
>scriptwriter thought he knew some trivia to make his dialogue better
>ended up being an idiot

It's the same as when CSI or whatever try to describe hacking or the deep web
>>
>>342934061
http://www.ucw.cz/~jerome/folsom.pdf

page 13
>>
>>342930065
Before i start this what i am about to say is dependent on the guy holding the knife to have some level of training or knowhow.

The reverse grip or icepick grip is popular because of 3 reasons mainly.

1. this grip will mainly be using 'outer' attacks which maximise your range advantage from having a weapon , these are attacks that originate from outside the box of your shoulder to your thighs

2. it is easier to disarm a normal grip plus harder to defend against reverse grip. A basic way to do this is face your defending arm's palm almost vertically upwards the contact with the opponents forearm and run your arm down theirs towards you. If you try this with a stick and a toy knife you will see that 9/10 you actually cant hold onto the knife due to your tendons realizing your grip. defending against icepick attacks requires far more precision as most incorrect attempts will allow them to slice the defending arm.

3. allows the arm holding the blade to defend normally and doesn't disable most of your unarmed attacks (punches, hammers, cross hammers)

Then again most people using icepick just do it to look cool
>>
>>342930065
So when you stab people the bullet cases are ejected into your face.
>>
>>342933408
"nothing personnel kiddo"
>>
File: Starkiller_felucia.jpg (227 KB, 596x720) Image search: [Google]
Starkiller_felucia.jpg
227 KB, 596x720
So is this practical?
>>
>>342932718
What's wrong with that? If I wanted realism I wouldn't be playing a video game. You play to do things you can't do irl.
>>
>>342934346
Lightsabers in general are impractical and only exist because Lucas likes samurai movies.

That being said, I don't really see much point in reverse-gripping a blade that size.
>>
>>342934346
jedi are skilled enough to reflect projectiles with 100% accuracy and lightsabers ignore armor so what is practical or not doesn't matter
>>
>>342934346
I don't think there's any sword techniques that do that.
>>
>>342934346
no, they made the game for edgelords
>>
File: 1466210942611.jpg (35 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1466210942611.jpg
35 KB, 400x400
Essential viewing for the uneducated in this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFr30p0aZl0
>>
>>342934473
Certainly no Japanese sword styles, which is what Lightsaber combat styles are primarily based off, since Lucas is a gigantic weeaboo.
>>
>>342934346
Holding your sword like that was sometimes done whilst on horseback to stab plebs. It's clearly no good for an actual fight, though.
>>
>>342932428
>Don't pull back his neck and slice it through
>Jab it in his jugular vein that's located on both sides of the knife
>Punch it forward, it'll rip out his throat.
>Messy job but there you have it.

Most interesting one really. If i make a game that involves stealth mechanics i'll need to make sure that is included.
>>
>>342934546
I don't think there's any western styles that do it either. I mean there's sabers, fencing, and medieval knight shit or whatever and no one uses that style for offensive shit. I'm not sure about parrying or sword-catching off-hand swords though
>>
>>342934346
>>342934410

Maybe changing your grip during fights to surprise the opponent, or stabbing someone lying on the ground yeah, but walking around constantly reverse-gripping a lightsaber is just.. odd.
Makes a bit of sense while running. In older games characters ran while flailing a beam of searing energy in front of their own faces. Starkiller is all about running safely.
>>
>>342930065
The only advantage this has over a regular grip is it is easier to conceal behind the forearms. Otherwise it is a shitty grip and you waste a motion everytime you use it. If anyone tells you this grip is "tactically" better in anyway, they don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>342934753
Considering lightsabers can be turned on instantly, I don't see much point in running with them on unless you're under fire.
>>
>>342930065
Snake
Remember the basics of CQC
>>
>>342934346
Could be. A lightsaber blade doesn't have to hit in any particular way to be effective, so whichever grip the user is more accustomed to would be ideal.
>>
Because no game dev ever bothered to read up on the Fairbairn-Sykes knife manual, which is THE knife fighting resource.
>>
>>342934931
It just seems like you'd lightsabre yourself in the back really easily. But I guess that's true about any part of your body if you're holding a lightsabre in the first place
>>
>>342930065
It allows for more forceful stabbing. Not as good in a direct fight, but the point in a stealth game is to avoid that.
>>
>>342930065
Because you wouldn't be able to hold your gun at the same time otherwise, duh.
>>
>why would you hold a lightsaber like that

Well, besides "because he can", a lightsaber weighs practically nothing if you think about it. A regular steel sword is too heavy to wield like that normally, but a lightsaber is really just a guard and grip.
>>
>>342935031
its actually much better in a direct fight
>>
File: knifegun[1].jpg (32 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
knifegun[1].jpg
32 KB, 500x342
>>342935045
>>
>>342933641

Wasn't that Christopher Lee?
>>
>>342935010
Well the reason why lightsabers are exclusive to force users, is because they have the spatial awareness and won't dismember themselves with them.
>>
>>342932701
I'd just throw the knife in you're eye
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk3UGE5kh9M

Because it's easier to play patty-cake with.
>>
>>342933854
A knife isnt a Hammer if you use it like that or like an axe, youre wrong. You need a cut motion from on side o the other, not an axe like hammer like hit one spot motion.

A knife/blade cant get through bone material if you dont slash it
>>
>>342930181
The other two replies are retarded. I understand what your saying and you do have more force but a jab or stab is more accurate and less likely to be blocked. The dagger is not a tool of force but one of precision so when they hold it that way they do in fact take away from its use
>>
>>342935545
>pretending to be an expert while stating things that are wrong
>>
>>342930256
Oh god are you actually this retarded?
>>
>>342932701
*teleports behind you*
heh, not bad kid
*stabs you in the back*
pssssh, nothing personnel.
>>
>>342931364
But if your sneaking your not gonna violently use all the muscles in your back to stab the fuck out of the guy?

With a. Good dagger and a good sneak you just need to quickly and precisely make one small effortless cut.
>>
>>342932701
I guess all those millions of people dead in recent 5 thousand years from dagger wounds didn't master anything.
>>
>>342935725
>you just need to quickly and precisely make one small effortless cut.

do you know how hard it is to precisely hit between the ribs into heart? do you know how much actual effort takes slicing someone's throat?
games and movies are a lie
>>
A knife is an extremely versatile tool that can be adapted for a variety of different situations and maneuvers. There are times when a reverse grip may be more ideal than a forward grip.

That being said, it's not as if you can suddenly change grips in a video game and have it be meaningful in any way. So you just end up using whatever looks coolest or whatever's most visually convenient.
>>
>>342935545
pointy end towards enemy
>>
File: 1388494773648.gif (860 KB, 352x200) Image search: [Google]
1388494773648.gif
860 KB, 352x200
>>342932701
>If you try to stab me with a dagger, what is stopping me to deliver a powerful front kick right into your chest, smashing your diaphragm and seriously hampering your ability to breathe

Because getting stabbed hurts like fuck
>>
Better question- is it ever practical to have two weapons, one in each hand, over having two hands on one weapon?
>>
Because devs are shit at making slashing feel right and icepick grip is an excuse not to try it.
>>
>>342934346
I thought you held it like this when ninja running so you don't trip and fall on your blade
>>
>>342936083
can you write with pencil with two hands? same thing
>>
>>342930065
Reverse grip is more ideal for defense and disarming.

There is literally no reason for an assassin to be holding a knife in reverse when assaulting a target from behind.
>>
File: dishonored_01.jpg (211 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
dishonored_01.jpg
211 KB, 1600x900
>>342930065
People tend to conveniently forget Corvo DOES indeed switch grips after he's in open combat or not sneaking around.
>>
>>342936154
>>342936083
what I mean, with pencil in each hand
>>
>>342935217
>>342933641
It was Christopher Lee, and he was in the Long Range Desert Group (precursor to the SAS) and the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare (more formally known as the Special Operations Executive). Apologies for the Ebaums link, but here he is talking bout it briefly http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/christopher-lee-apparently-knows-what-a-dying-nazi-sounds-like/82119503/
>>
File: AHD.jpg (49 KB, 241x711) Image search: [Google]
AHD.jpg
49 KB, 241x711
>>342936083
>is it ever practical to have two weapons, one in each hand

Yes, but your off-hand weapon is for parrying.
>>
>>342930256
He means the grip is like a hammer you moron, try using your fist as hammer
>>
>>342936154
I also can't write with two pencils simultaneously does that mean the best course is using one hand one weapon? I think your analogy is flawed
>>
>>342936206
Had to google that name. Fuck Dishonored was so forgettable, complete waste of a game. At least if it were outright shit there'd be some ironic merit in playing it at least.
>>
>>342936270
Meh I had fun playing it. If I remember the mission with the three different colored costumes in that huge party was pretty cool
>>
>>342936083

Obviously depends if your weapon gains anything from being wielded with two hands.
>>
File: 1447845342436.jpg (65 KB, 599x431) Image search: [Google]
1447845342436.jpg
65 KB, 599x431
>>342936270
>ironic merit in playing it
>>
In the game OP's screenshot is from, the character uses this grip in sneak mode only for stealth kills which are usually 1 deep plunge.

Worth noting that when you switch to combat he flips the knife around to allow for a larger range of slashing movements

So I think it's safe to say that the devs thought of all this.

Big Boss holds it downward because it seamlessly fits into his CQC style that way, as he can still punch and fight as normal while still having the blade for a killing blow
>>
>>342933513
I already got stabbed in the heart bro ;_;

Also without functional hands I could not masturbate of play videogames, so I'd rather die.
>>
>>342936185

unless you are stabbing them in the lower body there is
>>
>>342936243
Man, a shame this guy is dead
>>
>>342936139
>>342934410
>>342934753
I figured it was meant to reduce the space needed to swing the blade. Rather than being held outward and waving it.
>>
>>342936375
Yeah but is CQC actually real? I remember thinking snake's grip in 3 looked wonky as fuck with a gun and a knife.
>>
>>342936490
Don't be sorry, he lived a life most fictional action heroes did not.
>>
>>342936462
it very easy to defend against lower body stabs, When i started self defense it was actually crazy easy compared to defending against reverse grip. Also it the target is completely unaware you are going to attack them either grip is fine. but when do you get a chance to stand right before someone except in a crowd?
>>
>>342932701
>Nothing personal kid
>>
>>342936490
I know right? Absolute legend. Amazing actor, member of like 3 stuntman unions, get's up to some crazy shit in the war and releases a metal album on I think it was his 88th birthday. Apparently he was a bit of a dick in person, but after all of that stuff I think I can let it slide.
>>
>>342936572
It was developed by a legit combat instructor that served as MGS3's combat advisor.
>>
>>342936375

just glanced at the pic, thought it was Dishonoured
>>
>>342936373
>tfw the cat in this picture is probably dead
>>
ITT: basement dwellers talking about hardcore knife fighting
>>
>>342936490
Life well lived though.

Bond-esque soldier
Dracula
Saruman
Opratic Metal singer
>>
>>342936691
Shouldn't be surprised. Kojima's good like that.
>>
File: mei-gameplay.jpg (56 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
mei-gameplay.jpg
56 KB, 700x396
Ice daggers are the best though.
>>
>>342932701
>If you try to stab me with a dagger, what is stopping me to deliver a powerful front kick right into your chest, smashing your diaphragm and seriously hampering your ability to breathe ?

Your giant thighs you fat fuck.
>>
>>342930065
You're fishing for retarded comments aren't you OP?
>>
>>342932701
If you're unarmed what's stopping the guy with the dagger from delivering a powerful front kick right into your chest, smashing your diaphragm and seriously hampering your ability to breathe, and then also stabbing you?
>>
File: Public-Dagger-Summary-Pic-2.png (486 KB, 600x482) Image search: [Google]
Public-Dagger-Summary-Pic-2.png
486 KB, 600x482
>Reverse gripping daggers is a meme invented by hollywood
>>
>>342934346
Yes. A jedi/sith/whatever can use a lightsaber however they want because they aren't going to hurt themselves with it, by virtue of the force.
>>
>>342936890
Because video games?

What? I can't talk about space because I'm not an astronaut? I can't talk about food because I'm no 5 star chef? Fuck off. It's called reading books and having outside interests.
>>
>>342932701
*It was just a hologram*
>>
>>342934537
FACK YOU
>>
>>342932701
t. wikihow editor
>>
>>342932701
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?
>>
>>342930065
Because it would clutter too much of your vision otherwise.
>>
>>342930256
>>342933959
Just because he isn't familiar with misnomer terminology doesn't mean you have to be complete idiots about it. The hand is making the hammer motion. We know what you meant, but it's not what he meant, so try exercising even a modicum of reading comprehension.
>>
>>342936243
>Ebaums is still alive

I haven't heard that name in fucking YEARS, you made me feel really old anon
>>
>>342937302
no. having the hand on a lower position and the blade facing upwards grants you a nicer view. the hand like in op's pic is all the way up to the center of the screen and blocks a chunk of your vision just to make it look edgier.
>>
an assassin would not hold a dagger like that because the worst thing that can happen is the thing you attack screams or makes sounds.
holding the dagger like that removes your ability to slice their throat or stab them in the throat, which is what you would always do in situations like that.
>>
>>342936083
To some extent but 99% of the time its done in media is style points
>>
>>342936627
And yet you'd hate "Chad Rich" for being an ass, despite living a lifestyle you can only dream off.

Stop fapping to ugly old faggots way past their expiration date. You sound like an aussie tearfully monologing his love for Irwin
>>
>>342934346
Why didnt anyone make a lightsaber that changes where the blade is with a push of the button?

Kinda like a double-bladed one just with only one active blade that can be switched around.
>>
>>342938269
Might not be possible considering how ludicrously huge the hilt has to be in order to incorporate dual-blades.
>>
>>342931569
If you were crouching wuold you hold the dargger vertically ? Pretty sure you're puncture a knee cap.

It simply doesn't look goood on screen.
>>
File: beam rotors.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
beam rotors.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>342938269

Because they were too busy making a lightsaber helicopter with that technology.
>>
>Why do games do thing "x" with weapon "x".
Because game devs aren't martial artists, they just do what seems to fit or looks good. If the thing they are doing isn't something obviously stupid chances are someone did it at somepoint irl anyways.
>>
>>342932701
*unzips behind you*
BACK THE FUCK OFF!?!?!?!?!?
>>
>>342938515
This makes no sense on so many levels
>>
>>342937832
that only matters if you are coming at them head on, in which case they are moving freely and you wouldn't be able to properly cut their throat, and unless you jam it in their throat and keep it there(if you can even manage that as they should be defending themselves from a head on attack) they will still make noise

plus you have less leverage and a weaker grip, plus all attacks sans gut stabbing would require more force and full extension of the arm away from you, while revers would have all attacking motions be shorter, swifter, and either down in front or towards you, like as one would preform as you muffle them with the off hand and stab them in the jugular
>>
>>342933450
21 feet. If you haven't got at least that distance you're at the very least injured when someone pulls a knife and you try to pull a gun.
>>
>>342934346
Absolutely not.
>>
File: 1461917915790.webm (833 KB, 536x300) Image search: [Google]
1461917915790.webm
833 KB, 536x300
>>342938761

I know exactly who is behind this post.
>>
>>342938515
Jesus Christ is that faggot Maul still fucking alive?
>>
>>342936379
this post IS the summer
>>
>>342939023

Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cWICANUBg

His voice actor is as hammy as ever.
>>
>>342939001
this episode was fucking golden
>>
File: CrossSection_zps9572b638[1].jpg (50 KB, 1024x546) Image search: [Google]
CrossSection_zps9572b638[1].jpg
50 KB, 1024x546
>>342938269
Not unless they can move the battery pack out of the way and rotate the whole crystal projection setup safely.

>>342938515
The spinning gimmick made some sense as a kind of shield/buzzsaw but that's just outright retarded.
>>
>>342939157

Yeah, probably topped the show for me.
>>
>>342939001
Seriously, anon. The time it takes to unholster, get the firearm in the general direction, then actually aim and fire takes longer than the average person can run 21 feet. Sure you might occasionally find a guy who's practiced quickdrawing but that's pretty rare nowadays.
>>
>>342939023
Sith can keep their bodies alive with anger. He survived with half his vital organs with literally the power of FUCK YOU.
>>
>>342939276

Yeah, plus you can just zig-zag if they were able to get it out first.
>>
>>342939424
Someone's been playing DayZ
>>
>>342939424
Not really. You move right, the angle the firearm right. The only way to avoid being shot is making sure the angle of the barrel never faces you to begin with. Which means keeping track of their eyes, height and angle of the firearm, your own position, and what's around you. All while trying to rush the guy. Easier to throw the knife as a distraction then try to get in as close as possible while keeping the wrist of their gun hand in check. Then eye jabs and throat punches.
>>
>>342939378
And a robot lower half
>>
>>342939378
Didn't he just lose everything from the dick down? Not a lot of vital organs there.
>>
File: Sunny9x02_0229.jpg (169 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
Sunny9x02_0229.jpg
169 KB, 1280x718
>>342939610
>>342939645

Someone hasn't been watching the best comedy we have
>>
>>342939698
Maybe not vital for you, nerd
>>
>>342939378
>>342939698

Most of it would be fine - however his spine was literally cut in half...
You don't get through that.
>>
File: Darth_maul_revived.png (368 KB, 530x513) Image search: [Google]
Darth_maul_revived.png
368 KB, 530x513
>>342939669
Not even a robot. Just random scrap he held together and animated with the force.
>>
File: gta sa.jpg (5 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
gta sa.jpg
5 KB, 251x201
>>342930065
it's the equivalent of the gangster grip made to pander to teenagers.
>>
>>342934150
>.cz
>reliable

Take your third world shit somewhere else, kiddo.
>>
because it's apparently really more convenient to backstab somebody like that

try the motion yourself
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>342930181
Have you ever cut meat with a sharp knife before? Or just poked it? It literally just goes in with barely any effort.
You don't need any strength at all. Unless you want to go through bones, at which point you shouldn't be using daggers in the first place.
>>
>>342932701
ok
>>
>>342939832
The fuck?
>>
>>342930065
To give a bit of credit to this way of holding a knife, you can hide it behind your forearm if it's necessary (just hold it in the palm with the thumb)

>>342930127
It's not. The icepick grip doesn't allow you to stab upwards and straight forward, and because a standing human is most vulnerable to straight or upward stabs (kidneys are easy-tier, heart is rib-protected, but still, belly button gives you a huge bleeding point). Hammer grip allows you to attack all of these, PLUS it makes attacks on the throat easier. Also, if you ever cannot aim straight for the subclavian (which is about the only point you can hit comfy in pic related) or if you get into a fight, it's that split second that it takes to turn the blade into a normal fighting position.

If you want to learn more, look up Kill without Joy (has a whole chapter on knives Fairbairn's timetable of death (this shows you how long it takes to kill someone based on assault targets).
>>342930331
Read above.

Seriously, try holding a knife like this and doing any sort of practical or precision cutting and stabbing. With the blade forwards, you can guide it with your forearm.
>>
>>342938269
Darth Maul can use one blade at a time if he wants.
https://youtu.be/HdJnoL4KR8g?t=77
>>
>>342940057
You don't cut meat. You slice it. And you can poke it and have the knife sink into it easily because it's cooked. Living dense flesh takes a bit more work. That said, spots like the jugular and wrists take relatively little effort. But trying ro between the collarbone or around the ribs would take a lot more effort.
>>
File: carrying.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
carrying.webm
2 MB, 800x450
Fuck it, let's post some star wars webms.
>>
>>
File: losing all the command posts.webm (3 MB, 1040x442) Image search: [Google]
losing all the command posts.webm
3 MB, 1040x442
>>
>>342940542
>Point-fucking-blank
>He just stares at him instead of shooting
Fucking kids' show
>>
File: Koala.jpg (467 KB, 1528x998) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
467 KB, 1528x998
I want to know why people are always made of styrofoam in games and films. Stabbing someone in the back can't be as easy as gently sliding the knife into them, what about shoulderblades, spine and a fuckload of ribs protecting the organs?

You never see a stabbing go wrong, never, not once. Nor can you ever stab people in the stomach for that matter. Guess it's not stealthy and hardcore enough.
>>
File: 1464454296905.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464454296905.jpg
107 KB, 1280x720
I don't think you'll be able to overtake a knife with your bare hands. If someone pulls out a knife and if you don't have a gun you better run nigga.
>>
>>342940524
I can semi-agree with that. What I must say is that a dagger like the Fairbairn-Sykes is made to have a point that sinks easily into flesh. I personally would never cut to kill. That's for causing pain. Stabbing attacks vital points.

When I learned knife-fighting, the instructor told us
>When he's holding it back like this, protect your head. If he's holding it forwards in a relaxed hand by his side, leg it. If he brings a fork, just give him your fucking lunch.
>>
>>342940542
The only good thing about this show is bringing back Darth Maul and Darth Vader's cameos.

"I'm not afraid of you".
"Then you will die braver than most".

Every single line James Earl gets is always fucking golden.
>>
File: Screenshot (15).png (315 KB, 502x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (15).png
315 KB, 502x480
>>342940706
You know, for all it's worth, they did a pretty good job with the clones.
>>
>>342941139

I actually really enjoy it. It's fine that it's for kids, I can get past that.
>>
>>342932701
Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts.
>>
>>342930065
because thats how you use it in real life
>>
>>342940848
Practical effects
>>
File: 435543.jpg (225 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
435543.jpg
225 KB, 1280x720
to kill dinosaurs
does anyone even remember this game
>>
>>342941457
me

I hated gameplay versus humans tho
>>
>>342941457
wtf
what is this, fallout 7?
>>
>>342930065
That grip actually had a sorta-practical use in trench warfare
>Go over the top with your brand spankin new trench knife
>Hop into the Kraut trench
>Klaus comes running up to you full speed with his bayonet affixed
>Swipe the retarded bayonet+rifle combo away
>Punch him in his big dumb face and then stab him in the neck while he's dazed
>>
>>342940406
found the real life weeaboo ninja
>>
>>342941457
poor dinosaur :(
>>
File: 12458487654.gif (2 MB, 260x195) Image search: [Google]
12458487654.gif
2 MB, 260x195
>>342933331
>>
>>342932701
NANII!!!?
HE CAN KICK!?
>>
>>342940406
Someone post the webm of that redneck fedorafag doing the Vergil-style gyako notto.

You know what I'm talking about, come on.
>>
>>342934546
There are some strikes in Japanese swordsmanship using a reverse grip, but they're extremely rare. Usually made from seiza (sitting position) and in some trickier situation, but only in katas (a combo of strikes/blocks which is meant to be practiced alone). Talking about like... one strike in 10 kata forms or something.

In sparring it's frowned upon as macdojo bullshit, since changing your grip takes time - often enough to get sliced while your opponent doesn't waste time on weeaboo crap.

t. iaido/kenjutsu faggot
>>
>>342941457
I mean if you were going to jam a hunting knife into a giant lizard that seems like a fairly proper way of holding it

he's not trying to fuckin fence with it
>>
File: For-Honor-Behind-the-Scenes-6.jpg (106 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
For-Honor-Behind-the-Scenes-6.jpg
106 KB, 960x540
HURTS MY HANDS
>>
File: Starkiller_vs_Rodian.jpg (243 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Starkiller_vs_Rodian.jpg
243 KB, 1280x720
>>342934346

It's for his own fighting style based on big force attacks while slashing and moving around very fast while deflecting blasters.

When he just slashes his lightsaber he uses the normal grip for a lot of hits.
>>
>>342945425
he's wearing mail gloves, swords that large are impractical to scabbard despite what anime has taught you
>>
>>342935610
>4chan
>>
>>342934537
>A baseball cap with razor blades sewn to the back
I need one of those
>>
>>342930065
Because it's kewl
>>
Having only the barest of knife fighting training, I can offer this.

It's harder to disarm the person with the blade facing away from you. Anyone with gloves or big enough balls can just grab it and twist it free, plus it's easier to reach with both hands for more leverage.
A knife held forward is much more effective for slashing, i.e., a straight up fight, but stabbing can get more force into it with a reverse grip. Since most games that do this style are stealth games, where the first hit is that much more important, it makes sense to use a more damaging stab.
It takes more force than you'd think to make a deep stab, so a reverse grip helps bring enemies down.
It looks and feels cool.

However, if you can stab someone unawares, you can hold it however you want. They're already dead.
>>
>>342938745
um no, you still need to hold the dagger normally to slit someone's throat from behind. one hand to cover their mouth, the other to either stab their throat or slice it.
i'm not even going to read what you typed because this isn't debatable.
>>
You have more control over the knife the closer to your body it is.
>>
>>342932701
Go to bed Gray Fox.
>>
>>342947031
He's right though. Slitting the throat actually makes more noise, and takes more effort. The neck is fairly sturdy for being one of or most vulnerable points, and requires a fair amount of force to cut through the trachea, forget about the vocal chords. People survive slits and slashes across the neck more often than they survive stabs into the meat.

Look at it like this: if you rob a person of blood to their brain, they have about 3 seconds before they pass out. You aren't going to completely go through the jugular, to completely stop it from delivering blood, with anything less than a hatchet strike. They'll be conscious for longer, and able to struggle and make noise.
Stabbing into it, especially in a downward motion, opens up a much wider opening that can cut off the flow more effectively, and may even rupture it on the other side as well.

Tl;dr
Necks are tougher than you think. Stabbing is better than slashing.
>>
File: 1461878842893.png (3 MB, 1500x3000) Image search: [Google]
1461878842893.png
3 MB, 1500x3000
>>342932701
>>
>>342930065
if it has a dagger, it's not a real stealth game
>>
>>342936779
rip pussy :c

F
>>
File: Not how you use a sword.jpg (60 KB, 521x596) Image search: [Google]
Not how you use a sword.jpg
60 KB, 521x596
>>342945425
>>
File: Not how you use a sword 2.jpg (69 KB, 786x558) Image search: [Google]
Not how you use a sword 2.jpg
69 KB, 786x558
>>342948750
>>
File: 712px-Pisani-Dossi_MS_07b-c.png (820 KB, 712x600) Image search: [Google]
712px-Pisani-Dossi_MS_07b-c.png
820 KB, 712x600
Fiore de Liberi's dagger forms use that grip.
>>
>>342949074
And he's dead now.
>>
>>342936154
can you write holding a pencil with two hands? kek
>>
File: 1461981643296.png (814 KB, 604x717) Image search: [Google]
1461981643296.png
814 KB, 604x717
>>342932701
>>
>>342933424
I'd rather get stabbed in the elbow than the side of the neck desu
>>
>>342936270
nice bait.
>>
>>342935545
>A knife/blade cant get through bone material if you dont slash it
cook here

knives can't get through bone, period, not even with slashing. And I'm talking chicken bones here which are notoriously lightweight and fragile.

Best best would be to just crush the bones with impact if you really have to, but otherwise you sever the meat at the joints.
>>
>>342935839
It takes about 90 seconds for the victim to die, screaming themselves to death.
>>
File: image40__102270.gif (3 KB, 175x196) Image search: [Google]
image40__102270.gif
3 KB, 175x196
>>342930065
>>
>>342950549
well, thats because you arent using katana knives
>>
>>342936185
With the greater stability reverse grip provides you can stab straight through someones' spine instantly paralyzing or killing them. You can also skip that "stab between the ribs" crap and stab straight through the sternum to get to the heart.
>>
File: implying.jpg (716 KB, 1600x1202) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
716 KB, 1600x1202
>>342950730
>>
>>342930065
its the same reason characters often hold the bow sideways, even though its pretty much phisically impossible in real life. It looks cool to clueless people and it doesnt clutter the screen as much as having the bow actually in front of you. I still hope the sideways fad will end eventually though.
>>
>>342930065

Only reason I'd hold a knife in that grip position is to gain access to the subclavian from behind. Any other situation and a standard grip would be superior.
>>
>>342940154
He get's normal robot legs later on.

but his brother keeps the double side saber.
>>
File: 1466992699230.jpg (26 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
1466992699230.jpg
26 KB, 367x500
>>342951179
>Only reason I'd hold a knife in that grip position is to gain access to the subclavian from behind. Any other situation and a standard grip would be superior.
>>
But why do they hold it sideways if they want to stab?
>>
>>342930181

Its literally just so you can see the cool shiny knife. Holding it normally the camera would cut off the bottom of the knife
>>
>>342951128
So why do you think the military trains soldiers to hold it blade-down? Just trying to be cool?
>>
>>342951320

Are you disagreeing with me? Just think about it, if you want to hit the subclavian with the point of the knife from behind without holding it in the downward grip like the OP you'd have to stab through the fucking shoulder blade.
>>
>>342932701
This is true for Dark Souls 3 except change legs for Dark Sword. Its range is longer than my Lothric Knight Spear its ridiculous.

>Stab with spear two handed = miss
>Dark Sword user presses R1 = Stagger locked me
Fuck.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 64

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.