[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this game disappointing to anyone else? I'm a huge fan
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: Yakuza5.jpg (31 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza5.jpg
31 KB, 256x256
Was this game disappointing to anyone else?
I'm a huge fan of this series and I finally got to play this game after getting a new PS3 because my last one died.
I'm up to chapter 4 and I feel like I'm playing a linear minigame spinoff rather than a mainline entry. I even had more fun with the zombie spin-off.
>>
>>342925768
You know what is killing the series? New protagonists. Thank God the Sixth game will be Kiryu only.
I play this since the very first game on ps2, It started derailing on RGG4.
>>
>>342925768
I thought it was the best game in the series since 2.
>>
>>342925768
bumping for this
should I get Yakuza 5? It's been in my PSN wishlist for forever now.

Thought 4 was okay at best.
>>
>>342926161
I agree but I think they should keep Akiyama. He's a really well done protag and his personallity keeps the story refreshing from all the other super serious protags.
>>
File: you call dat a knife.jpg (208 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
you call dat a knife.jpg
208 KB, 1024x1365
>>342925768
I really think chapter 1 was fantastic and alot of fun to play, seeing kiryu in his situation made me sad.

I really did like 1-3 and judging by Kiwami, zeros gameplay seems really fun.

4 I liked akiyama, kiryu, and tanimuras gameplay as well.

ironically sajima is more fun to play in 5 and akiyama sucks in 5.
>>
>>342926463
5 is a better game.
You should also look into buying Ishiin.
Theres a 400 page walkthrough/translation by KHHsubs.
I completed allost 100% of the game using it.
>>
>>342926520
Yeah, Akiyama is fucking great.
>>
>>342925768

Absolutely.

Despite gameplay getting better every game is getting worse story wise and it all started with multiple protagonists and losing the focus on the yakuza.

That's why I'm so hype for 0 because it's two of the best characters in the series in their heyday as gangsters.

But seriously 5 was too fucking much. Even Kiryu's shit was boring. You spend a whole chapter with Kiryu moping in the rain and driving a taxi. Then another chapter with the fucking mongoloid in the woods playing Cabela's Nippon Adventure. And then it somehow gets WORSE when they throw a fucking shittily design rhythm game chapter on you. And Akiyama while a cool character is always dull as fuck story wise. Baseball player is cool just because he's a fresh face.

Jesus christ Yakuza 5 sucked. And 4 wasn't even THAT bad but man multiple characters was just a bad idea for the series imo.
>>
>>342927429
Multiple Characters was bad not only story-wise but also gameplay wise.
It's annoying when you take your time building your character up by learning new techniques, leveling up, equipping items and then all of a sudden you have to start all over again on the next chapter.
>>
>>342926520
Don't forget Super Chunk.
>>
>>342925768
Game got pretty fucking disjointed and silly as it went on, but it had its moments.
>>
>>342927429
>every game is getting worse story wise
>That's why I'm so hype for 0
Oh boy, there is a surprise in store for you.
>>
>>342927683

Actually almost mentioned it myself. Glad you agree. I felt like I never got a sense of progression with any of the side characters the way I did with Kiryu. With Kiryu you start off clumsy and by the end of the game you feel like a one man army. I don't get that feel in 4 and 5 anymore.
>>
>>342927872

Don't tell me that, anon.
>>
>>342927872
huh, is 0's story considered bad?
>>
>>342927872
Just spill it out. What happens in this game?
>>
Yakuza really hasn't been good since 3
>>
File: 2015-06-16_1821351.jpg (159 KB, 846x465) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-16_1821351.jpg
159 KB, 846x465
>>342927807
>forgetting Super Chunk
>ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4nH7kq8cU
>>
been playing it since PS2 era, gameplay was fun as fuck, amazing variety of stuff, 100%'d it
plots of the games however have been on the decline since 2. i think the multiple protagonist thing still hasn't been perfected to create a satisfying whole story yet
excited for Zero
>>
>>342927991
>With Kiryu you start off clumsy and by the end of the game you feel like a one man army. I don't get that feel in 4 and 5 anymore.
Nigga he's old now.
>>
>>342928458
And yet he looks his youngest in Yakuza 6
>>
>>342928458

He was old in 1 and 2. But I'm not even talking about Kiryu specifically. The point is that you don't feel as much character progression among any of them because the game is split into small chapters with only a few fights.
>>
>>342925768
if by ch4 you mean shimada's chaoter then i'm just gonna throw it out here that his is far abd away the worst chaoter of te game
>>
File: s4dTtBy.jpg (86 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
s4dTtBy.jpg
86 KB, 384x313
>>342928563
Asian genes.
>>
>>342928645

Please don't say this. I just got to his chapter after the fucking agonizing slog that was Saejima and Haruka's chapters. I need this game to get better.
>>
>>342928621
I enjoyed the way they made 4, where every story felt actually complete and thought out. 5 starts of strong, ending with Kiryu becoming quite literal "one man army", as mentioned above, but the rest feel lukewarm. Saejima was forced into story for fuck knows what reason, because his story felt complete in 4, Akiyama is forced into not even full, but half a chapter because MUH HARUKA and baseball man, while being fresh, has no logical conclusion to his story. I mean fighting Baba as final boss? Really? Why not just end his story on that field with he bro 4 lyfe or something?
You know, they could easily fir Tanimura instead of Saejima into the story, but no, Japan didn't like Tanimura.
>>
>>342928913
>I mean fighting Baba as final boss
Could've spoiler tagged that
>>
>>342928913
It's not that Japan didn't like Tanimura, it's that they used the voice actor's likeness for Tanimura and couldn't get him back because he's doing acting jobs elsewhere or is too expensive.
>>
>>342925768
what are you talking about, the game is awesome
>>
>>342929343

Is that right? Not him but I've heard multiples times that Japan hated Tanimura and that's why they didn't bring him back.

Shame because while the character was a cockmunch I actually enjoyed him he showed the other side of things and had a cool gameplay gimmick.
>>
>>342929246
It's been enough time now, I was considering it, but come on man.
>>342929343
Whatever the reason, literally anyone else's story could fit in better than Saejima's. As far as I remember, he does pretty much nothing, NOTHING.
Fuck, they could put Daigo having wacky hijinks as chapter 4 character and switch Shimada to be 2, things would be much better. The game would have 3 familiar and 1 new characters, just like 5 now.
>>
I don't even know what happened to the series. They just let themselves get out of fucking control. It's all over the place and completely unfocused.

I admire the desire to try new shit but most of this shit should have been side missions if in the game at all. There's no reason to give Haruka her own mandatory chapter especially with gameplay as poorly design as that. It could have been an Akiyama chapter the entire way
through. And was all that hunting shit with Saejima necessary? It was padding.

>>342927683
>>342927991

Speaking of the Saejima shit I really notice what was mentioned here in his chapter with the gods that taught you new moves. You have to go so out of your way to find all this shit to get new moves and yet as soon as you leave the mountain village his chapter is almost over.
>>
File: ps3-yakuza-5-screens06.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ps3-yakuza-5-screens06.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
FINALLY! a Yakuza thread that isn't all people sucking the series' cock.

I've been playing them since the beginning but I was pretty disappointed with 4 for a lot of the reasons you've all mentioned like feeling as though having to start from scratch every time it switches characters. Also I am getting pretty sick of Kamurocho, it just feels like the same shit every time. That's my biggest concern with 0, yeah it's 30 years ago but it's going to be Kamurocho yet again.
>>
>>342930626
I really wonder why they chose to include Haruka as playable with Idol stuff, unless they were trying to reach that demographic. Part of the reason I think things are becoming unfocused as you say is because last I heard the guy who made the Yakuza series is being relegated to doing that and only that. He made some other game, but it wasn't received well and so he was put on 'Yakuza only' mode.
>>
>>342930809

Because they know 90% of the fanbase has been wanting to fuck Haruka since Yakuza 1 and idols have always toed the line of creepily acceptable sexualization. Shit look at what she wears and how she moves in most of the performances.
>>
5 had better final boss fights than 4 did though.

Kiryu needs to fuck off from the games and take his shitty family with him.
>>
File: img_MIKU_us.png (269 KB, 462x710) Image search: [Google]
img_MIKU_us.png
269 KB, 462x710
>>342930809
SEGA is cheap as fuck the only three things they do now are shitty Sonic games, Yakuza games with recycled environments and those Hatsune Miku rhythm games. They probably just recycled assets from those games into Yakuza because hey it beats original ideas or effort.
>>
>>342931029
More like people need to stop dragging him into it. I'd be fine if they let him retire and he passed on his fighting skills to someone.
>>
File: 0[1].jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0[1].jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>342930709

Yeah it's pretty refreshing. I got called a cancerous faggot in the last thread a couple days ago because I said the yakuza focused parts are the only good parts of the game and was reminded that the series is actually LIKE A DRAGON.

But I mean shit it doesn't change that it's a fact. Akiyama is a cool guy but his lone shark bullshit is completely dull. Saejima spent his entire chapter in the snow hunting. Haruka got a chapter for fucking dancing.

And sure it was comfy as fuck but can anybody HONESTLY say they enjoyed Yakuza 3 forcing fucking orphan missions on you where playing hide & seek, dress up and solving orphan fights was a main story mission you had to complete to progress?

I fully understand the idea was to form a bond so it hurt more when they're threatened but fuck I play these games to do ridiculous ass yakuza shit and beat some ass. 2 is still the highpoint of the series for me and probably always will.

Yakuza 1 & 2 were basically an 80s action hero movie set in Japan. Like Die Hard in Nipponland.

More fighting shirtless on a rooftop with a neon lit rain drenched Japanese city in the background and less miscellaneous bullshit.
>>
>>342930809
>>342930968
>>342931115
I really thought the Harkua section was so weird and out of place for the game. It's like if you got GTA and all of a sudden you made one of the characters a girl but instead of normal gameplay, her section was a dress up minigame.
>>
>>342931029

But Kiryu is literally the only good part of the games anymore. Him being the Michael Corleone of the Yakuza world is what makes the games so fucking great.
>>
>>342931395
It doesn't help that Haruka has what...2 different songs? They get old quick
>>
File: 1462289173156.jpg (73 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1462289173156.jpg
73 KB, 604x453
>>342926161
>Thank God the Sixth game will be Kiryu only.
Where are you taking this information from?
I want another Saejima escaping another prison chapter.
>>
>>342931609

Her whole chapter reeked of a team who had no idea what they were doing and just threw something together. But the sad part is I know they actually put a lot of work into it.
>>
>>342931382
2 definitely is my favourite as well. That part where you end up fighting that guy with the fetish for acting like a baby so him and all his men are wearing diapers still makes me laugh to this day.
>>
>>342931986

They bring back a similar idea in 5. You go to get a part time job do an interview for this successful businessman who needs a secretary (that specifies they want someone large and burly and such) making you think they might be a yakuza front and he asks you how far you're willing to go for the company and such and of course you tell him whatever he needs you to do you'll do so. Again, still thinking this is some kind of strong arming job disguised as "secretary."

Then he gives you the job and reveals you're gonna be his fuckboy.
>>
>>342932213
does that open up a gay dating sim minigame?
>>
>>342931681
no fuck that

saejima's prison segments was the worst shit ever
>>
>>342931382
>fuck I play these games to do ridiculous ass yakuza shit and beat some ass
Then the series is not for you, I guess.

>I play the Persona games for the fights and the dungeon crawling.
This is what you sound like.
>>
>>342927872

Y0 story is focused and the best in the series and with the best gameplay. You're just sick of the series.
>>
>>342925768
I would enjoy the minigames if there was more of a point to them. As far as I know it's not like you get any kind of special rewards like items or stat boosts or sex scenes or anything like that for completing any of them.
>>
File: ur gimming me a bonir.png (677 KB, 1130x653) Image search: [Google]
ur gimming me a bonir.png
677 KB, 1130x653
>>342931382
I agree, 2 story wise was the high point sotry wise, 3 soundtrack wise. Though 5 also game me feels and I liked its red heat and how they fixed kiryus fly kick to jump off people when hit.

Though gameplay wise 3 is my favorite kiryu and 5 for sajima.

Zero is looking like its mostly yakuza from what I've played of the japanese ps3 version.

Even then, I still consider these games as a whole fantastic to play through and not many games these days compare for me.
>>
>>342933214

Except for the fact that 1, 2 and largely 3 were pretty straight forward about the yakuza. And all the wacky side shit was just that side shit.
>>
Yume
>>
>>342931705
The only thing I found good that happened in Haruka's bit was the death of Mirei Park. I found her insufferable.
>>
>>342925768
im pretty disappointed about this game being the easiest Yakuza. Hardly any challenge in most diffuculties and those that are not too easy aren´t hard neither, just unfare
>>
>>342934027
Too bad everyone else feels the need to make her YUME come true when she dies.
>>
>>342934027
>Acts like a complete twat
>Gets killed
>We are supposed to be sympathetic and go on about her YUME

Fucking Masayoshi & Mr. Orengi.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-07-14-02h22m39s237.png (774 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-07-14-02h22m39s237.png
774 KB, 1280x720
I think I just overhyped the game for myself with 3 fucking years of waiting.

The game is still Yakuza and fantastic, there is nothing else like this on the market right now, but the game is just too unfocused both in story and gameplay. Also Akiyama, but no Super Chunk- the fuck?

Yakuza 0 will better, you will see when the game come out in 2019.
>>
>>342933608
3 was nothing but wacky stuff in how stupid it was.
>>
>>342934181
But wait Anon! She said she was going to take Haruka shopping and she worked really hard for that loan! That's supposed to redeem her!
>>
>>342931609
There are like 20 street battle songs but for some reason only 2 were used for 99% of the time in events.

>>342934216
>Yakuza 0 will better, you will see when the game come out in 2019.
It's been literally confirmed for early 2017. Why are you people so out of the loop?
>>
File: Park_on_the_floor.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Park_on_the_floor.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>342934181

Mirei Park is cool and her death was interesting, but in the end it was just A BIG MISUNDERSTANDING and pat of the bigger TWIST.

They did the same shit in Y4 with Saejima, his TWIST fucked up his character development, they need to stop with that cheap shit. The stories will be way better without twists.
>>
>>342934027
>>342934181
>>342934090

Her whole chapter was really uncomfortable. Characters calling her fat and potato face. Tranny under a bridge giving her "Chinese pills" to fix her lack of sleep. Shitting on her because she didn't know how to put make up on properly.

And all of these things would be fine if it was a criticism of the idol industry...but it was all played straight like it was normal.
>>
>>342934181
>>342934416

>the character is not boring paragon of kindness, so it's shit

Don't you have Haruka for that shit? Park is fine.
>>
5 as a complete package is the best game in the series.The only disappointing part was the story, but that's really par for the course at this point.

I honestly thought every chapter was great, and that there was a good variety of locations and activities that you end up doing. If you didn't like the hunting or Haruka's idol shit or Shinada's baseball, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>342934581

It's not about her character being flawed it's about her being an inconsistent piece of shit like the writers didn't know what to do with her.

She's an ice queen who routinely insults Haruka and everyone else around her and then she turns around and tries to butter her up and the game wants you to think they have some mother daughter relationship.
>>
it may make the game a fucking cakewalk, but tiger dropping everything is satisfying as fuck
>>
>>342926161
I'm fine with it but just keep it to 2, maybe 3. Having 5 protags is pretty retarded.
>>
>>342934581
She doesn't need to be a paragon of kindness. But she's pretty much an asshole most of the time we see her. Forgive me if I felt nothing after she died.
>>
playing as majima in 0 is the best thing that's happened to the series
>>
>>342934695

The problem is every time they try to vary the gameplay and be all unique and quirky it's just shitty as fuck like it was programmed as some graduate project at coding school.

I love rhythm games and Haruka's chapter was dog shit as a rhythm game. Ignore the fact that there were literally two songs but just the detection and everything about it was garbage.

The same applies to things like Saejima's hunting chapter. It was a clunky mess.
>>
>>342934416
just so long as they don't pull any censorship bullshit with the foxy boxing etc.
>>
Weird OP, 5 is my favourite next to 2.
>>
>>342934742

This is how humans act, every asshole can have good days and act friendly if he's happy or sad. We can have more than one emotion.
Yeah, it was rushed (i'm ice bad bitch - i'm nice - i'm dead), but it's not unrealistic.
>>
>>342934939

Same boat. I think some people just overhyped the game for themselves.
After all the game was the second coming of christ for the small western fanbase and it's a miracle it's even here.
But I like Yakuza 0 better than Yakuza 2.
>>
>>342934898
oh god they probably will, especially when you rent the gravure tapes and is emphasizes the box of tissues at the end.
>>
>>342935252

Sure but your audience also isn't going to give two fucks about her or her dream after that. And it's going to feel unearned because there's no reason your characters should give this much of a shit.

She was a poorly done character.
>>
I liked 5, but that's probably because I really like saejima(and also playing as him), so I could forgive his stupid as fuck story.

If you dislike saejima or playing as saejima, I can see why you probably wouldn't like the game. Similar for Haruka I guess.

Also despite being literally who, I think yakuza 5 had the best final(as in kiryu's) boss fight in the series so far.
>>
>>342935924
Yeah the final boss fight itself was amazing. The guy being who he was, on the other hand, was disappointing.
>>
>>342936049
>That bit where they fight down the hall way and Kiryu gets tackled from the second floor

It was pretty awesome
>>
File: Big-Boss-MGS3-Ending.png (132 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Big-Boss-MGS3-Ending.png
132 KB, 500x500
I ordered yakuza 3 off of amazon and it should be coming in a couple of days.i know i should probably have played 1/2 but I dont have a PS2 or a decent PC to run it on emulators. how much does 3 rely on knowing 1/2's story? if its really important, i can just watch playthroughs of it on youtube or something
>>
>>342936262
IIRC 3 has story recaps for 1 and 2.
Though you really should play them because they have the best stories in the series. But whatever.
>>
>>342931681

Alright /v/, Say for some Saejima is being forced into Yakuza 6 and that means a prison section. What stupid reason do you come up to put him in jail and what kind of prison does he break out of this time?

Yakuza 6: Saejima, honorable japanese hero that he is, saved a girl from being raped by gaijin american soldier scum while vacationing in okinawa. While detained, he hears his kyoudai majima needs him. Now he must break out of a US military prison.
>>
>>342931681
NO, goddamn. I love Saejima but no more prison chapters.
>>
>>342936320
alright, recaps are fine I guess. if i ever find a ps2 for shit cheap, ill take it and order the first two games. just started a job so im still a poorfag for a while
>>
>>342934581
When you portray a character as a complete cunt and then try to push their YUME as something really awesome and try to act like you were supposed to like her to begin with it's just plain fucking stupid.

>>342935495
Nah, Gravure is probably the only thing that will get cut because licensing. (Aside from Bubble, of course)
>>
>>342936262
3? Your waifu from 2 gets dumped from the whole series, people get killed for no reason, Kiryu is back for no real reason and so much more.

Kiryu's story literally ends with 2 but he gets pulled back.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.