[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which do you prefer, an Open World or hubs? I personally prefer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 251x201
Which do you prefer, an Open World or hubs?

I personally prefer hubs way more because it's actually packed with interesting stuff instead of a barren wasteland with nothing to do

>that Hollywood/Santa Monica in Vampire Bloodlines
>that Detroit/Lower Hengsha in Deus Ex HR
>>
>>342923772
hubs
>>
Open world with towns
>>
It depends on what type of game silly goose. You wouldn't want a hub world for a GTA game, and you wouldn't want open world for RPGs like VTM or dude sex
>>
>>342923772
Hubs, as they provide a smaller scale environment similar to an open world that's still small enough for the developer to put a reasonable amount of care into, rather than make one big sprawling map like most open world games.
>>
>>342923772

Hubs definitly, there is literally no better type of level design that hubs, especually multi leveled hubs like Henghsa as you mentioned.

Platforming games also have god tier hubs

>those summer camp hubs in Psyhonauts
>all that comfy as fuck themed hub worlds in Spyro

Hollywood is best hub in VtMB though. But Downtown is second best.

What are some other good games with hubs /v/?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBjuAFnBXBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2XnR0cKfnY
>>
>>342923772
Also which games are coming out that will have hubs besides Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Mass Effect 4 and VtMB 2?
>>
>>342924154
>VtMB 2
What. Don't get my hopes up anon.
>>
For most games hubs would work better but like that other anon said, something like GTA wouldn't work with hubs and is best with an open world. But open world is way too overused these days.

>>342924027
Dishonored. Thief kind of too but those are more levels/missions than hubs like some of the other games mentioned.

>>342924154
Dishonored 2. Though there is no announced Vampire/WoD game yet.
>>
>>342924027
The N64 Banjo games are an obvious pick, but the From Soft Souls games have been pretty good at making hubworlds.
>>
>>342923913
>complain about open world and how there's literally nothing to do in them for years
>still want devs to keep using them

Hmmmm
>>
>>342923772
They're literally the same thing on a different scale.
I'd say I prefer hubs over a large single world map only for framerate concerns, it's still open world design, you git.
>>
>>342924239
Just because some devs use them as a crutch to artificially extend the game does not mean that all open world games are bad.
>>
>>342924027

Human Revolution was so good with the hubs but disappointed when I heard it was originally going to have 2 more (India and Montreal)

Do we know yet how many Mankind Divided will have?
>>
>>342924239
Some games just wouldn't work without open worlds though. I can't imagine a GTA game with hubs.

>>342924321
Being small isolated areas is what makes hubs better. You don't have to bother trying to make them logically connected with area between them, just teleport between them, and this also helps with variety. Hubs being fairly small generally also allows more dense content.
>>
>>342923772

I actually really enjoyed the hubs in Thief 3. They were comfy as fuck for the most part and had some really good level design, except for the first hub.

Old Quarter hub was legitimately goat, with all the verticality and having Fort Ironwood inside it. Stonemarket was also really good but unfortunately was split up by loading screens.

The Docks and Auldale were good too but Auldale was underused and Docks needed an extra path between the Pagan hideout and the taverns area, that one path up top where the guard patrolled wasn't enough. Auldale was good since it was circular design and the others had similar multiple paths.

The only meh tier hub was South Quarter which is first one because it's bare bones compared to the others. A lot of the best missions are there though.

>>342924154

>VtMB 2

What the fuck, is this confirmed?
>>
>>342924027

Shit I forgot downtown.
How can one game have so many amazing hubs? I swear VTMB is a perfect game.
>>
>>342923772
My

Nigger
>>
>>342924027
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJDwOK8Ke7Y

Bloodlines 2 better fucking have Rik Schaffer again as composer
>>
>>342924027
Deus Ex
>>
File: zzz.png (245 KB, 723x479) Image search: [Google]
zzz.png
245 KB, 723x479
>>342924858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw2nbAsrwBs
>>
>>342924154
Do we know yet if Cyberpunk 2077 will be hub based? Surely CDPR know hubs are the way to go for RPGs?
>>
>>342925065
Obviously not since they made TW3 open world. Pretty sure they said the game was going to take place in a single city too, open world style.
>>
>>342924207

you think they paid for the vtmb and world of darkness license for nothing?
a Paradox employee answered a question with yes they are going to make vtmb 2
>>
>>342925065
It all takes place in one city. So it could go either way. Depending on how big the city is it might not matter if it's all open.
>>
>>342925158
I don't think they have the license to the first game but they'll probably make a similar game with the Vampire license. So they can't use characters specific to that game but quite a few of the bigger ones are part of the setting that they do have the license to so you could see people like Jack or Beckett return.
>>
>>342925047
Why do people do this shit?
>>
>>342925257
They have the Bloodlines license too
I was surprised at that too, this link says the sale includes the Redemption and Bloodlines games

http://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-buys-white-wolf-world-of-darkness-vampire-the-masquerade-from-ccp/
>>
>>342926060
I have no idea. Maybe people are weird about getting external hits. It's all very dumb to me.
>>
>>342925142
well fuck
It will never be dense then as its also being made for these shitty consoles

Deserted Wasteland 2077 incoming
>>
>>342923772
How long will you fags suck vampire bloodlines dick? Enough already
>>
>>342926230
White Wolf and the people they bought it from didn't have the license to the games though. Activision still has the license to Bloodlines and if they never dealt with Paradox they would have no way of having the game license.

I see the link says they got those games but I don't know how that would be possible when the game is owned by an unrelated party to who were doing the negotiations.
>>
>>342926376
>guys please stop talking about videogames :((((((
>>
>>342924491
> is this confirmed?
No. It is likely that some Vampire (or at least a World of Darkness) game will be in the works in upcoming years but speculation at this point is meaningless, there is no info whatsoever beyond 'a developer has the license'.

Do not hold your breath.
>>
Depends on the game.

If its an RPG where im running around slaying dragons and slaying evil shit, i'd prefer open world

If its a game where im actually doing quests and exploring lore, hubs.
>>
>>342926376
Go back to shilling Overwatch kiddo
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.