[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPD Win
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 607x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 607x490
Anyone use this thing? It's a new UMPC that looks really cool. Great for emulation but it seems you can play some really recent games. What are your thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhggmLIj_E

This guy is playing Resident Evil 5 on a device with similar specs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=01pVV1wOrr8
>>
>>342902606
What's the battery life tho?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 600x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 600x520
>>342902674
6-8 hours for gaming I believe. But just for regular use its 8 hours.
>>
>>342902606
I have many doubts it would be a comfortable experience playing with that
>>
File: 1458592750232.png (456 KB, 804x876) Image search: [Google]
1458592750232.png
456 KB, 804x876
>>342902846
>playing league of legends in that shit
>>
>Intel Z8550

this thing is going to throttle like a motherfucker. 12 inch chinkpads can't even control the heat coming from these chips
>>
>>342902606
>Sub-720p
>Low-Medium Settings
>Older, well-optimized game
>Barely reaches 20 fps
Even if you're somehow okay with that god awful performance that even last generation consoles far surpassed, the battery life when pushing the onboard GPU and CPU that hard has got to drop down to an hour or two at most.

Not to mention, you won't be installing many games on it to begin with, as it only comes with 64GB eMMC flash onboard. Most games that you would supposedly run on that if it had decent horsepower are going to number in the 5-10GB range, and after the typical 10% storage loss, and the 10GB or so that Windows 10 takes up, you're looking at only ~48GB for games, applications, music, photos, and whatever else you're going to store on a full Windows tablet, not to mention everything you install on there app-wise will be much larger due to being on a full "fat" operating system as opposed to Android/iOS/Windows Mobile.

TLDR: This shit is fucking garbage in every possible sense compared to a regular ass Windows or Android tablet. Unless it costs something like $50, don't bother, and even then.
>>
>>342904308
Most anons use it for emulation.
>>
My note 7 is better
>>
>>342902606
Is this the new Pandora or something
>>
>>342904359
If you play older games it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not saying you should run DOOM on this thing. It's good if you wanted to play old ganes or some psx/Dreamcast games. There going for $200 on Amazon.
>>
>>342904698
Pretty much. It reached its crowdfunding goal a few months ago.

http://liliputing.com/2016/02/gpd-win-is-a-handheld-windows-gaming-pc-for-299-crowdfunding.html
>>
>>342904709
$200 is far too much for how little it offers in terms of specs. A similarly priced tablet without the gimmick of including a d-pad and analog stick is going to give you a much better experience pretty much regardless of what kind of gaming you're doing performance-wise. Sure, you're restricted to Android/iOS/Windows mobile, but that's a plus side when considering the hardware.

As for running games emulators on it, if that's all you want, then don't bother getting a gimmick tablet, get a proper one that'll do emulation better, a cheaper tablet that'll do emulation the same for a much lower price, or just use your phone. The amount of emulation options, even on iOS, are pretty vast.

As for modern games, I'm not surprised that it wouldn't run something like DOOM well, but I'm shocked that it can't run something like RE5 at any kind of respectable level for $200. The performance on display isn't even native resolution, and it still manages to be pathetic on the lowest settings. It doesn't satisfy in any situation really, I honestly don't get the point of this product existing besides tricking the typical college student who doesn't know shit about tech to spend too much on an inferior pokemon machine compared to something like a 3DS or different tablet.
>>
>>342904709
>>342905132
>>342904359
A correction to all of these thanks to this guy >>342904806

Apparently this piece of shit runs for $499 once it's out of indiegogo, but even for the backer price of $299, this garbage is completely pointless, and doesn't serve a single goddamn niche properly.
>>
>>342902606
I've never really saw the appeal of UMPCs. Most of these things I hear about are either too underpowered, too expensive, or have poor quality hardware. Then again, I like my emulation to be accurate and my handhelds at home.
>>
>>342902606
seriously, i would love to see a modern game of the caliber of Guilty gear Xrd run on these things.
for some reason nobody with a demo unit, or similar spec devices has tried that yet.
>>
File: m.png (157 KB, 2390x512) Image search: [Google]
m.png
157 KB, 2390x512
>>342902606
>Some phone ass overpriced piece of shit
>Shitty ass laptop with 2.3GHz CPU can run four instances of BSNES Accurate at once with all of them running at full speed
No seriously, fuck off shill. Only the most smelliest of hipsters is gonna buy that garbage, normies are fine with using their iphones with touch controls.
>>
Please fuck off, shill
>>
I'm getting two through backing, it's not actually out yet but I'll be sure to say how well it works for X or Y.

Lack of a GPU will kill chances of running newer stuff of course, but might be able to do something like TF2.
>>
>>342902606
>Anyone use this thing?
It's not out yet.

>>342905132
>>342905296
It might be expensive and weak, but I have a proper desktop for high quality PC gaming. I played Heretic on my Dell Venue 8 Pro with a Steelseries Free controller, a weaker and more cumbersome setup than this. I know exactly what I'm getting into and what I want from it. It'll be good enough for early-to-mid-2000's 3D games and not-horribly-optimized modern indieshit at best, and that's precisely what I'm looking for, so I can do that in my comfy bed on cold winter nights, and while I dump my ass, and on my lunch break and shit, on a device that fits comfortably in my pocket, physical controller and all. And with a 128gb microSD for superlight games, internal for games with otherwise unbearable load times, and pic related for everything in between, I'll have decent bit of room for games on that level.

The price sucks, yes, but I want this to become a thing so that PC an eventually grow to dominate the one form of gaming that has always been completely out of reach, that being handheld gaming.
>>
>>342908223
this, basically.

And I have always had a hard-on for pocket computers of all kinds, so this is exactly the kind of product I want to own in the first place.
>>
>>342902606
What's up with the constant shilling of this thing.
>>
>>342908778
>so this is exactly the kind of product I want to own in the first place.
At least pretend you are not a marketeer, jesus.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.