[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this an acceptable controller? I understand a mouse being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: main_ori.jpg (2 MB, 3855x1800) Image search: [Google]
main_ori.jpg
2 MB, 3855x1800
How is this an acceptable controller?

I understand a mouse being better than analog sticks for first person/RTS games but what the fuck are the main benefits of using a keyboard for gaming?

How to we "fix" PC gaming while keeping the mouse but ditching the keyboard?
>>
It's the combination that makes it work. The mouse allows not only precision aiming, but it works in tandem with the KB to offer maximum movement.
>>
>>342896097
Terraria I played with a combo of Controller+Mouse. It's easy. You use the left half of the controller for movement + two buttons or more if you can use the dpad for tangential stuff like a lot of games use it for now. Then you use the mouse for the right which is typically aiming and attacking
>>
>>342896097
There's nothing to fix.
>>
>>342896097
There're single handed keyboard made for games. What matters is the number of keys, which are often used for macros or quick access to menus and stuff like that.
>>
>>342896097
More keys means more control, which is always good.
>>
Quicker/more accurate input with all of your fingers, instead of thumbing the face buttons on a controller.

Customization of keybinds, customization of hardware (mechanical switches, different size/layout keyboards)

don't have to hold it in your hands like a caveman, it sits on your desk
>>
>>342896097
>playing an RTS with only a mouse
You're kidding, right? Do you seriously click on everything?
>>
More key and faster input/precision. Keyboards were made to type things really fast.
>>
The only thing you really lose on a keyboard is analog control, which you can usually fudged well enough by just rapidly tapping a key.

I've seen some left hand keyboard replacements that have an analog stick for your thumb while still giving access to a bunch of keys for your fingers, which are kind of neat but also pretty pointless.

>>342899496
>Keyboards were made to type things really fast.
Actually the current keyboard layout was created to slow typists down, so the inner arms of a typewriter wouldn't hit each other when typing too fast.
>>
>>342896097
There's nothing to fix. It's as close to physical perfection as we can get. It can get even closer if you choose a proper keyboard for yourself that works best with your hand size and finger length. After a while you can easily type without looking at the keyboard at incredible speeds because muscle memory, even the most basic keyboards support three button combinations - any game designed with keyboard in mind can have a wealth of gameplay functions and options because the control scheme is not limiting, unlike that of the controller, where developers have to cut gameplay functions because they ran out of fucking buttons to bind them to or they refuse to include them altogether. Besides this post also shows how ignorant you are about the RTS genre. While mouse is important it's the keyboard that makes or breaks the rts gamer because of the hotkeys necessary to control units. Tl;dr it's an objectively superior control scheme for anything but fighting games, but that's because fighting games are designed with controllers in mind to begin with.
>>
>>342896097
The only downside to a keyboard is that its entirely digital, so movement is either 0 or 100% unless there's a modifier like a walk command. This downside is about to disappear because an analog keyboard just made it through kickstarter and they've actually shown results instead of blind promises.
>>
>>342896097
I've used a Playstation Move + Mouse combo. In the game I tried it in, the buttons weren't really accessible and it was easier to switch from kb&m to controller on the fly.
>>
>>342896097
You get to use all 5 fingers on a multitude of keys, compared to using only your index and thumb for a few keys.
>>
But PC let's you use a controller if you want to. There's nothing to fix about input on PC gaming.
>>
>>342901036
The analog keyboard is a neat idea, but devoting 4 fingers to movement is still pretty unergonomic when you could just use your thumb.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.