[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9
File: blackguysweatingbullets.gif (172 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
blackguysweatingbullets.gif
172 KB, 400x400
How are casuals who have never completed a Zelda game in their life going to keep up with the story/discussion, when Breath of the Wild releases and it dawns on them that they're out of the loop?

I mean Souls and Elder Scrolls with 2 or 3 games before are one thing, but we're talking about a storied franchise with 17 games under the belt.
>>
>>342882780
>storied franchise
Nintendo made up a timeline just because obsessive spergs bombarded them with headcanon.
Until the forced retcon only autists felt the need to join together the Zeldas.
The preposterous and ridiculous idea that A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are in the same universe is just bad fanfiction accepted as canon.
>>
>>342883395
>The preposterous and ridiculous idea that A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask are in the same universe is just bad fanfiction accepted as canon.

Majora's Mask takes place in a parallel world you troll.
>>
do you really think the average person gives a shit about the zelda timeline
>>
>>342883810
Hyrule Historia topped the number seller of New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Amazon in 2012.

So yes.
>>
>>342883395
Pretty sure Nintendo made it explicit that there was a timeleine when OoT was released.
>>
>>342884278
Yeah, the official LA, OoT, and MM guides all contain an "Odyssey" of the series.

Only casuals don't know this.
>>
>>342883898
You think they actually read that shit?
>>
>>342882780
>Zelda
>Story
They just make shit up as they go along and explain it away with retcons later because nobody with enough of a brain to realize how poor it is actually cares about the story.
>>
>>342882780
>le zelda timeline
Nice meme friend. Even the developers barely give a shit about Zelda lore; they just throw a bone every once in a while to the most vocal and autistic part of the Zelda fanbase. The games are barely connected. Zelda's my favorite game series and I honestly couldn't tell you what the chronological order of the games is. I've never met a person who cares about Zelda lore who isn't a massive sperglord.
>>
>DUDE WATER TEMPLE LMAO

Are you honestly impleying casuals have played a fucking Zelda games in their entire meaningless existence?
Because, oh boy, you're in for a surprise.
>>
File: 1466463567569.png (113 KB, 468x263) Image search: [Google]
1466463567569.png
113 KB, 468x263
>>342882780
It's almost as if you're implying that casuals or those not affiliated with the series give a fuck about BoTW in the first place.

And if some of them are, they'll learn eventually. Just like the WWbabbies, TP babbies and OoTbabbies before them. That or this game will have a lot of timeline/lore basis or no basis at all to the point where it could be its own seperate thing.
>>
Nobody gives a fuck about the story in zelda games. everyone plays them for the gameplay. the story is just a light-hearted fairy tale - and i don't mean this in a derogatory way.
>>
File: 1466462979107.png (1 MB, 1452x3092) Image search: [Google]
1466462979107.png
1 MB, 1452x3092
>>342882780
I am playing all Zelda games bcause of BotW

But I had already played OoT on the 3DS and the original NES game because 3DS ambassador, same with Minish Cap which I loved.

OoT is enough to get what's going on. WindWaker HD is helping know who the oldman apparently is. Then, just watching the intro for Skyward Sword and a summary of the story of other games is helpful.
Enjoying the series so far.
>>
>>342882780
>Nintendo
>Story

lol
>>
>>342885961
Actually, there were polls done on the subject and a fuckload of gamers and fans actually do care about the characters and the story. Story and atmosphere in games are usually the second biggest aspects that evoke nostalgia in games, with music coming in first.

I think it's more likely that people care about the stories as their own individual thing, but not so much as a connected timeline.
>>
>>342882780

Why do you suddenly think this is a problem now? What about the previous Zelda game and the one before that? Wasn't the situation almost identical in those cases?

And to answer your question, they'll be able to keep up because (with few exceptions) each Zelda game has an independent storyline. It's hard to find a solid connection between any two games when the supposed story between games typically involves Link dying and being reincarnated. People couldn't even determine the order in which the games took place until Nintendo released the "official" (probably entirely retconned) timeline for which they'd been begging for years.
>>
>>342886137
Hope you enjoy MM, LA, ALTTP, OoX and TP, those are the better Zelda games after completing OoT and MC.

ALBW is kind of a retread into ALTTP though; more like a modern re-imagining of it, really.

Don't bother with SS and PH, even if the former is somewhat important lore-wise. Those games are trash.
>>
>>342882780
How are casuals who have never completed a Zelda game in their life going to keep up with the story/discussion, when Breath of the Wild releases and it dawns on them that they're out of the loop?

Why do you think someone who never beat a game would be in a discussion about that game? Why do you think they would realize they're "out of the loop" if they're so casual they don't even beat a game?

Your entire post is a fucking oxymoron or dichotomy or paradox or something, it just doesn't make sense
>>
>>342886381
>polls
You are underage. Polls mean nothing. Polls in an online setting are already a limited subset of a sample of people who play Zelda.

Normies don't go out of their way to reply to polls about zelda.
>>
>>342886661
Yeah, I've read opinions on those games. Loved the introduction of Skyward Sowrd and watched the ending on youtube so I dont feel like playing it.

I'm simulatenaously playing the first game of all the 3 split timelines. Link to the Past, Majora's and WindWaker. It's nice to directly compare the evolutions of all post-OoT worlds
>>
>>342882780
>How are casuals who have never completed a Zelda game in their life going to keep up with the story/discussion, when Breath of the Wild releases and it dawns on them that they're out of the loop?

Well, I've been a C64-Amiga-PCfag all my life with a short PS1 stunt in between. So I haven't played Zelda due to the fact that it just wasn't available. I'm sure they're great games, but I don't care for the same reason you wouldn't care about a new iteration of Transport Tycoon.
>>
>>342886892
I'm in my 20's.

Regardless, that says enough about the Zelda fanbase at large.

Normies like the ones you're going on about, well, they just take the story for granted and move on. They wouldn't go out of their way to figure out the plot or the lore behind the series. Once they do, then that's a telltale sign that they're becoming fans.
>>
>>342882780
>he thinks any Zelda game requires knowledge of another one
Even Majora's mask, the first direct sequel of the series to have a focused plot, doesn't really require you to have played OoT.
>>
>>342887337
>simultaneously

I recommend playing one at a time, but whatever works. As long as it doesn't ruin the feeling an experience for each one on an individual level for you.

And I forgot to mention WW. That one's also one of the better ones.
>>
casuals eat this shit up I'm not sure what you are talking about
zelda is like THE casual game
>>
Because nobody gives a single fuck about Zelda lore/story you dink. Nobody.

Only autists with nothing better to do. They're not out of any loop. Not even the direct sequel Zelda titles were confusing if they were your starting point.

You're a fucking moron. Seriously.
>>
>>342882780
>How are casuals who have never completed a Zelda game in their life going to keep up with the story/discussion
What fucking story? The Zelda timeline was a after thought. It was made after the fact when some autistic splurgelord try to connect some non-existing dots. Zelda game are no different then ancient myths being told differently generation after generation
>>
File: came.png (255 KB, 396x396) Image search: [Google]
came.png
255 KB, 396x396
I dont care, I'm just enjoying puzzle babby tears. The flood of casual and SJW tears has kept me happy enough that I might buy this game just for that.
>>
>>342886137
The defeat timeline was only created do discredit the person who created the split timeline to begin with. The timeline is a sham
>>
>>342887743
Not really. Not anymore at least.

It's mostly a has-been franchise for older gamers and retro players now, or at least that's been the case within the last 10 years.

Now people (young people especially) eat up Skyrim/Elder Scrolls, Uncharted, The Witcher and the like instead. Zelda failed to grab the interests of new gamers within those 10 years.

It's possible that BoTW could rekindle Zelda's relevancy among the current normie crowds composed of 21-and-younger-players, but mos people who play Zelda are in their late teens to mid-thirties now, with the average playerbase being twenty-somethings thanks to OoT, MM, WW and TP.
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 450x275) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 450x275
>>342887592
>>342886630
Ocarina of Time was my favorite game when I was 7 years old, but it was my cousin's and I I never managed to play through it because I was so young (only completed the Deku Tree, Dodongo's Cavern, Fire Temple, Ice Cavern, and maybe Ganon's Castle by my own self). When Majora's Mask came out, a ton of stuff went over my head, because of lack of context.

I never put together that milk is alcohol in Zelda, which is why Talon and Ingo are tipsy in the credits. I didn't understand which Skull Kid the one from Majora's Mask was in OoT until the very end when he sniffs Link. I didn't know Lulu was Ruto. I didn't put together that Sharp and Flat were servants of the royal family like in OoT, and thought it wasn't important to the story.

So yes, Zelda has very heavy-handed connections between games that you will miss if you don't play the games before the sequels.
>>
File: WVW69jQv_MElMP88Xe.jpg (56 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jQv_MElMP88Xe.jpg
56 KB, 800x450
>>342888464
>tfw Zelda's time in the shadows of the mega giants has tempered it into the new 90's era Fire Emblem.
>America and Japan have had their tastes do a paradigm shift in the opposite direction. Now Japan are casual babies, while America is hardcore.
>Miyamoto and Aonuma saw this coming and weathered the storm by "playing it safe" and pandering to both sides with Skyward Sword, until America was ready to change.

Keikaku doori.
>>
>>342889114
>I never put together that milk is alcohol in Zelda, which is why Talon and Ingo are tipsy in the credits.
>. I didn't put together that Sharp and Flat were servants of the royal family like in OoT, and thought it wasn't important to the story.

Those aren't connections to the previous games, more like realizations of the adult implications surrounding the said games.

Hell, its' the reason why MM suddenly started skyrocketing back into popularity back in late 2007-2008, people who were too young to understand MM at the time were going back and replaying older Zelda games for nostalgia's sake and realizing just how adult and disturbing its themes were.
>>
>>342889735
> until America was ready to change.

Change into what?
Casual shit?
Even then, Japan and the west have two very different tastes when it comes to "casual" regardless.
>>
>>342889967
It was always popular.

It was a collaborated effort by /v/, Zelda Universe (all the editors pick it as the best), Kotaku (Stephen Totillo's favorite game), and eventually Zelda Informer (because they started late and were small for a long time), that hyped it up. But a game doesn't sell 3 million copies and require an Expansion pak and not be popular.

Besides, N64 games got a lot of second-hand mileage back in the day. Everyone who owned one probably rented it or Mystical Ninja/Goemon's Great Adventure from Blockbuster because they were the best games of their gen, along with OoT (but everyone owned that).
>>
>>342883395
This. The stupid fork timeline was obviously concocted in about five minutes specifically to get more people to buy Hyrule Historia.
>>
File: 1466474666364.jpg (84 KB, 1919x475) Image search: [Google]
1466474666364.jpg
84 KB, 1919x475
>>342890868
I agree, and there are only two timelines, but that guy is false-flagging.

He's baiting for replies by saying that the fork timeline is canon, and that ALttP and MM being together is stupid.

Do not engage.
>>
File: 1284158548182.jpg (23 KB, 353x269) Image search: [Google]
1284158548182.jpg
23 KB, 353x269
>>342882780
>17 games
>2 or 3 elder scrolls
elder scrolls has 5 times more lore in one game than the entire zelda franchise combined
>>
>>342886137
>the hero defeated timeline has more games

kek
>>
>>342890826
No, it wasn't.

It was regarded as the black sheep of the franchise for a while, due to how "different' it was in terms of scope and atmosphere.

Though I would also input that the Ben drowned fad and the Gamespot/Gamefaqs "game of the decade" poll helped that as well.
>>
File: 1458251977454.jpg (63 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1458251977454.jpg
63 KB, 640x640
>>342882780
>storied franchise with 17 games under the belt.
>storied franchise

BAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA try harder with the bait next time.

>How are casuals who have never completed a Zelda game in their life
the Zelda franchise is literally made for casuals and babies, it's about on the same level of casual as skyrim and call of duty, faggot.
>>
"We think we’ve struck a chord and we’ve struck a chord with what is a very important franchise for us. A franchise that is going to be key to our long-term success. The Zelda formula is well-known. You continue down a path, you battle in a dungeon, you get an item, you’re going to need that item for the next dungeon, and so forth. We think that for today’s player… that formula potentially needed to be upended — that we needed to introduce new elements in order to bring new players in. But we needed to do it thoughtfully in order to maintain the current player.”

"Behaviorally, the Japanese home market and the West, aren’t so different that the tastes are fundamentally polar. A great example of this is Splatoon. [An online multiplayer shooter is] something that you would associate with the West, and yet in Japan the amount of players playing Splatoon, the amount of games sold relative to the install base of Wii U, is better than the US performance. It all comes down to this: is it fun? Is it compelling? Is it unique? Does it provide something to the player that they really relate to?”

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/16/11951730/legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-reggie-fils-aime-interview-e3-2016
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.