[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this a good boss fight?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: Drake and Josh.jpg (670 KB, 973x839) Image search: [Google]
Drake and Josh.jpg
670 KB, 973x839
Was this a good boss fight?
>>
I think it's weird, the first thing you would think of when fighting O&S is to go for Ornstein first, but he's always out of your reach. Meanwhile you can just beat up Smough and there's not a whole lot he can do about it even though he looks a lot more threatening than Ornstein.

I still think it's the most memorable boss in the franchise
>>
I've never been able to kill Ornstein last. Giant Ornstein is such a relentless asshole.

Great fight.
>>
>>342860358
One of the best boss fights in vidya. A shining moment of greatness in amongst the unfinished turd that is Dark Souls.
>>
>>342863021
woah there nintenyearold mom wouldn't approve of such language
>>
>>342863205
*tips fedora*
>>
File: Well played.png (654 KB, 970x725) Image search: [Google]
Well played.png
654 KB, 970x725
>>342860358
Pretty good, especially because my first time I killed both of them at the same time through a fluke, so when I faced them again at NG+ I was definitely surprised at what happens when you kill one.
>>342863205
>sonygger starts shitposting in a video game thread
Well played
>>
>>342861310
I wanted the armor, but holy fuck is it harder to kill him last.
>>
>>342863795
???
Just hit him with the occult club and roll twice backwards when he jumps.
>>
>realise that you have to fight them both
>cry
>>
>>342861310
Git gud or just go full giant dad
>>
>gameplay built from the ground up to be based around enjoyable 1v1 encounters
>unenjoyable 2v1 boss fight

you tell me
>>
Nameless king is the new o+s
>>
>>342860358
It was enjoyable with solaire for me, but I found it difficult / time consuming to evade the Giants beforehand
>>
It's a well designed fight. Hard but fair. If you are patient and keep them both on your screen, they go down. Hell, even James Heaney managed to win this fight without summoning and with killing Ornstein last, and he's possibly the worst player on all youtube.
>>
File: coolcoolmountain.jpg (145 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
coolcoolmountain.jpg
145 KB, 1500x844
Up until this fight, I was playing Dark Souls every single day, absolutely loving it.

Solaire accidentally got killed (dont ask) and I was forced to try and solo them. I lost for hours. Then days.

Then I asked a buddy to come over and help me grab some better gear. He helps me grab some new gear, sorts it out so I roll a bit quicker, then we both lose some more.

Then I started playing DS3 and not beating OS is my greatest shame. It pisses me off that most of the fight is determined on weather or not Smough gets stuck on a pillar long enough for you to do any significant damage to Ornstein.
>>
>>342863674
You can't kill them both at the same time
>>
>>342865602
>>342865253
>>342863674
>>342863021

https://youtu.be/6jdBIjCJ5QI?t=5m34s

I'm curious on y'alls take on this analysis of the fight.
>>
>>342865602
Why was ornstein hard for you?
>>
>>342865602
Why not summon people friend? You were going to summon Solaire.
>>
>>342860358
What are their names again?
>>
>>342865721
He's right about the projectiles going through, I've always hated how the fucking japs can't code a proper hitbox, happens with tons of other things too
>>
>it's a boss fight where the camera is the real enemy
no
>>
>>342865602
Get a +10 weapon and a Black Knight shield. It makes the fight go a lot faster so you can make less mistakes.
>>
>>342866127
Right now I have Grass Crest+Gravelords sword although neither are particularly reinforced.
>>
So good that DS2 rehashed it several times.
>>
I haven't played Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, but at least of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1, it's easily the best boss fight of them.

It felt challenging, unique and fun in all the right ways. Ornstein is cool as fuck and it's no wonder they apparently keep re-using him.
>>
>>342866306
Black Knight shield is typically recommended for this fight because it has a relatively high lightning resistance. I basically beat them with a Black Knight shield and a +10 Great Club. I was able to take off a good chunk of Ornstein's health with each hit which made the fight go by a lot quicker.

Honestly, it's just a matter of patience. Keep your distance and bait Ornstein into certain attacks and then punish him with 1-2 hits and then back away again. Also, use the pillars to your advantage. They're usually good spots to heal up.
>>
>>342865721
I do agree with him that magic is easy mode in DS1.
>>
The fact that it's a "get one hit in and run away" fight put me to sleep. I believe Artorias is a much more fun fight.
>>
>>342860358
It's a great fight but the difficulty is way, way overhyped.
>>
>>342860358
Probably the most challenging fight I saw. I'm not sure the developpers planned it to be half as hard as it is though.

I remember Smough keeping Ornstein to finish his charge with his hammer, making it pretty much unpredictable. In fact Ornstein charge is the main difficulty of the fight, not because of it speed but because it was terribly random in the way it operate.
>>
I actually just finished fighting O&S a couple of hours ago. Killed Smough first.

All I used was the Eagle Shield and a +10 Winged Spear and the elite knights set (not even upgraded.) Just wear whatever armor you got that lets you medium roll.

Positioning is key. Weave around the pillars so that Ornstein cant reach you while you poke Smough. Keep your shield up for most of the fight.

When giant Ornstein shows up, you'll have to start rolling. Be as close to him as possible and most of his attacks will miss, but if you do have to roll, roll into him, not away.
His lightning butt-slam will be one of the few attacks that might hit you, but it's largely telegraphed. Just back-peddle away and you will be out of range.
>>
>>342865602
>He didn't leave Ornstein for last to get his sweet armor
>He needed summons
>He's THIS MUCH A CASUAL
You have a disturbing lack of determination and strong will in you, my man.
>>
>>342860358
>Was this a good boss fight?
not at all

dark souls combat was not designed to fight multiple enemies at once, this fight was pure bullshit and one of the worst bosses in the game

its not hard at all, its just unfair. if it were a true 1v1 it'd be the easiest in the game
>>
File: bed-of-chaos-large[1].jpg (132 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
bed-of-chaos-large[1].jpg
132 KB, 600x338
>>342868201
>and one of the worst bosses in the game
Now let's not get ahead of ourselves considering that it's going up against one of the worst bosses in the entirety of video games
>>
>>342865721
He's right about magic being way too powerful, as well as how fucked up Ornstein can be with his charge, and he's right about the clipping spells and homing nature of everything from lightning spears to arrows that make 45 degree turns in the air.

Still a great fight though.
>>
>>342860358

that feeling of finally beating them solo the first time was fantastic. nothing i've ever experienced in vidya before or since compares
>>
>>342860358
Yes, mostly thanks to the environment of the boss fight.

If the arena was a large, unobstructed, open area, the fight would be ridiculous. However, the columns provide a perfect means of separation, allowing you to focus on one while positioning the column between yourself and the other.

Most people who consider this a bad fight don't use the environment to their advantage.
>>
>>342868404
Micolash and Lud/Zallen are worse.
>>
>>342868201
lol solaire can help you on this fight so its a 2v2
>>
>>342869048
>Micolash

Nope, he had that atmosphere going for him.

I'd say the worst boss fight is the 3 NPC's in Sunken King.
>>
>>342868404
Moonlight Butterfly, Pinwheel, Capra, Taurus and Asylum Demons range from dogshit to boring. Why is Dark Souls so bad?
>>
>>342860358
Yes, it's literally the highest point of challenge and the greatest piece of High Fantasy epic in Dark Souls. It's the culmination of your hero's journey. You go to the city of the gods and endure the most difficult level design in Dark Souls before fighting two ancient warriors who were first-hand witnesses to the age of the gods. Then when you defeat them, your reward is the only Ara Ara~ in souls history giving you fast travel and a view of her cleavage.

The only problem is the game continues for ten more hours
>>
>>342860358
Nah it was pretty shit
>>
>>342870908
I don't care what anyone says, DS3 bosses in general were a lot more fun to fight than majority of DS1 bosses.
>>
So I just bought dark souls and apparently you cant bind attack to your mouse? The fuck? Are there any simple solutions to this that doesn't involve downloading some program to fix it
>>
Everyone that says no sucks at video games.
>>
>>342872025
Use a controller
>>
>>342872379
Don't have one and don't plan on getting one for one game
>>
>>342860358
Yes, that is the peak of the game, one of the best boss fights, and after that is only downhill.
>>
>>342872518
Then get a refund asshole
>>
>>342872556
>implying Royal Wood, Artorias, Oolacile, and Manus is downhill
>>
>>342871978
>>342871978
Asylum Demon was unsurprisingly the worst in 3.

Sage and Big Tree were bad but better than most in 1.
>>
>>342872873
well thats dlc m8
>>
>>342871978
>>342870908
>>342872954
Honestly DS1 just had too many gimmicky bosses. Especially in the 2nd half. Every Souls games have gimmicky bosses but it felt like half the bosses in DS1 were gimmicky as shit.
>>
>>342873379
The Lord Soul bosses annoyed me, because Seath required you to die in order to progress through the level (disregarding the sequence breaking you could do), Nito was only threatening because of the respawning skeletons, and 4 Kings was a dps check which makes any type of low damage run unreasonably difficult. Bed of Chaos speaks for itself. That along with Gwyn being parryable removing any semblance of challenge from the fight should you choose.
>>
File: 1455082909750.png (1 MB, 973x839) Image search: [Google]
1455082909750.png
1 MB, 973x839
>>342860358
>>
File: implying_miki.png (137 KB, 334x400) Image search: [Google]
implying_miki.png
137 KB, 334x400
>>342864793
>strafe right and hit when safe
>enjoyable
>>
Fuck yeah it was, just beat them a week ago and it felt amazing, one of the most satisfying boss kills I've ever had
>>
Hell no. Definition of artificial difficulty. Impossible with slow roll
>>
>>342868201
Christ, git gud you third worlder monkey
>>
>>342865974
/v/ and /fit/
>>
>>342881369
Which one is which?
>>
File: four_kings_by_alo81-d6eu0t6.jpg (749 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
four_kings_by_alo81-d6eu0t6.jpg
749 KB, 1920x1080
Hard the first time, no so hard on the fourth time.

The only boss in Dark Souls 1 that still gives me difficulty(especially in NG+), is the Four Kings
>>
>>342865602
No, I do want to ask. How'd Solaire get killed?

I'm surprised you gave up at OS, but everyone has "that one boss".
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.