[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just bought, about to start for the first time What am I in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: wallpaper08_hd.jpg (1012 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper08_hd.jpg
1012 KB, 1920x1080
Just bought, about to start for the first time

What am I in for?

Any advice?
>>
You're in for gathering 20k gold within the first minutes of the game
>>
>>342833893
enchanced edition is a butcher, if you care for an authentic experience go get the original off GoG or just pirate it, refund the steam version
>>
>>342833893
play the first one
>>
>>342833893
I advise you to play the first game because BG2 is a direct sequel. Also one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
>>
>>342833893
Should have bought the first one instead
>>
>>342834221
That shit is easy. Run to watchers keep after tutorial dungeon and use a thief to steal everything on the first floor.
>>
>>342833893
>Enhanced Edition

A worse experience than had you bought the cheaper classic edition.
>>
File: Baldur's cuck.jpg (217 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's cuck.jpg
217 KB, 1152x768
>>342833893
Oh yeah, I'm playing this game again for the first time in years.

Have a few mods installed, going to try the Tower of Deception mod, hopefully it will be good.
Also using Kelsey. He's not too bad, although Sorcerer's seem a little overpowered.
>>
File: baldur's babby.jpg (390 KB, 660x510) Image search: [Google]
baldur's babby.jpg
390 KB, 660x510
>>342835484
>>342834486
What's wrong with Enhanced edition? Doesn't it just add a few new NPCs mostly, such as a Monk and an Evil Thief? That doesn't seem so bad, since it lets you get a Monk without being one yourself and they're fun to use. Same goes with the Thief, gives you a thief you can use in an evil party other than Jan Jansen or dualing over the ToB NPC.
>>
>>342836016
It´s fine really. The new UI is the bad part. Most of the gamebreaking bugs that i found got fixed, after a fucking long time. Watchers keep not being on the map before ToB. Triggers and npcs not even working in the Underdark.
>>
>>342836213
What, you can't access Watcher's Keep in SoA? Where's the fun in that?
>>
FOR THE GLORY OF AMN
>>
Make sure to pick kensai/mage for that sweet ez mode
>>
>>342836353
They fixed that. I had 2 saves with that bug on, so i just got used to console teleport to the keep.
>>
>>342836482
Kensai thief is fun too. Sorcerer if you want to abuse Wish without rolling stats or cheating forever. Monk is good choice too, although a bit restrictive.

Dem Kai Backstabs.
>>
>>342833893
Don't do it OP, ask for a refund, SJW agenda pushing aside the enhanced edition is broken as hell, horrible UI and bugs everywhere.
>>
Why is Aerie such an annoying, Useless piece of shit?
>>
>>342836925
You should be rolling with 6 pre-made characters to start with anyway!
>>
>>342836925
Muh wings
Cleric/Mage is still a really good combo
>>
>>342837035
Late game perhaps, if you give her the Robe of Vecna. She spends most of Shadow of Amn being crap unless you go to Watcher keep to cram XP down her throat.
>>
Do everything you possible can in Chapter 2, because the game will be on the rails for a long time after that.
Don't put assholes and goodies in the same party
Don't pick Keldorn if you plan to murder Drizzt, old cunt will betray you
Make sure you find magical stone in the tombs or else Shadow Drake will rip you a new one
If you plan on playing TOB, ditch multiclasses from your party
TOB is shit btw, so don't play it
There is a scroll that make you invulnerable to all undead, make sure to use it to cheese all the liches
Constantly check on your part members, because pathfinding in pantsu on head retarded, especially in the narrow railings of Underdark
Check on every door and speak with every character, there's a good dozen of secret dungeons in Amn alone
Get that pommel from Irenicus's rape dungeon
>>
>>342834486
You can't even get BG classic on gog without buying BGEE anymore.
Beamdog is scum.
>>
>>342836925
At least she isn't Nalia.

Be honest, no one used her outside of maybe bringing her along for her quest.
>>
Wild Mage is really fun
>>
>>342837141
And remember to trap spam all the dragons in the game for easy money and loot.
>>
>>342837193
>implying
Mage/Thief is like the best shit in vanilla BG2, and I'm not bringing HEYA ITSA ME IMOEN along
>>
>>342837141
>If you plan on playing TOB, ditch multiclasses from your party

Why? Multiclasses work better with ToB since they get enough XP to finally get good, and can draw the best options from 2 different high level abilities.
>>
does anyone have that really nice portrait pack some anon posted a few days ago?
>>
>>342837448
Imoen is literally statistically better. Only thing Nalia has going for her is a pretty nice ring.

If you want a mage grab Edwin.
If you want a Thief/Mage grab Jansen
If you want a Thief/Mage Dualclass grab imoen.

I don't want to listen to Nalia bitch about helping the poor while I'm liberating her own fucking castle.
Everyone hates Nalia's shitty personality. They tried to change it in ToB but she ended up just as bad, being obssessed with being an all powerful arch-mage while still being the worst mage in the game.
>>
>>342836692
Pure kensai is great too. 360 physical damage per turn is insane. Combine that with Critical Strike and everything explodes.
>>
>>342833893
I'd recommend playing BGT using the original two games if you can. EE is still alright though. It's only SoD that should be avoided at all costs.
http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/

>What am I in for?
Incredibly good writing, A D&D battle system that is ruthless yet incredibly fun to exploit, and some wild difficulty curves.
>Any advice?
Don't pick 'Wizard Slayer'. They're shit.

For a first playthrough, you'll have the easiest time with a Fighter or Undead Hunter. Various fighter/mage combos are the best, but keeping things simple will make your life easier for a first playthrough. Undead Hunter is a shittier warrior but has immunity to level drain, which can be really fucking handy.

I'm playing as an Elven Archer right now. Just found myself an incredibly good shortbow which is practically a machine-gun. Having a blast with it.

Jaheira and Minsc are both useful allies. Aerie is a fantastic cleric/mage you can find in the circus tent in Waukeen's Promenade.

>>342837141
>Do everything you possible can in Chapter 2, because the game will be on the rails for a long time after that.
^Also this. There's no rush to move on - taking your time in Chapter 2 won't affect the plot, and grinding for lots of levels and gear then will make your life easier later on.
>>
File: pink sweater.jpg (122 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pink sweater.jpg
122 KB, 1920x1080
>>342838094
>Kensai Thief
>Assassinate
>Improved Haste

The nice thing about Thief is with Use Any Item there is almost no downside to being a Kensai.
>>
>>342833893
Don't do Ascension or ToB. Ascension is tedious and ToB is morel like a sequel to BG1 rather than a sequel to BG2.
>>
>>342837776
>I don't want to listen to Nalia bitch about helping the poor while I'm liberating her own fucking castle.
I only have my archer, Minsc, Jaheira, and Aerie in my party and still ditched Nalia after purging her castle. Couldn't stand that annoying cunt, and I had to rely on Aerie to open half of the locks anyway because Nalia's thieving skills are such utter shite.
>>
>>342838445
Anything Kensai is top tier.
>>
>>342838286
>I'm playing as an Elven Archer right now. Just found myself an incredibly good shortbow which is practically a machine-gun.

Reminds me of how in Arcanum by investing in Time Magic, a fast bow and Mastering Bows you can shoot out over 100 arrows a turn.

Still not very good though.
>>
thread theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQYBild3Yc&ab_channel=SolidusPL
>>
>>342837110
>Late game perhaps, if you give her the Robe of Vecna
I'm still only up to Chapter 3 but already gave her Robe of Vecna and she's already baller as fuck.
>>
>>342838810
BG2 had such a retarded equipment curve. Most of the best equipment is available right from the start.
>>
>>342838286
>archer
>in BG2
Good luck dealing damage, ever. Isn't the best bow in a game +3?
>>
File: Ranger animal companion.jpg (138 KB, 640x641) Image search: [Google]
Ranger animal companion.jpg
138 KB, 640x641
>>342838613
Ranger-Cleric is a good combo too. Gets multiple attacks and specialization from Ranger, and by being Cleric it gets all the Druid Spells due to Ranger Access. Ranger is more experience heavy to get to 13, but Cleric is faster to level than mage so it balances out a bit.

Did they "fix" that in EE, so you don't get every druid spell as a Cleric if you were a ranger? I hope not.
>>
>>342838528
The little bits Ascension adds are nice but you're right that enabling the harder fights and everything makes every single encounter tedious.
>>
>>342837657
What was it like?
>>
>>342838905
That's why BG2 is awesome though. You can bump into a lich 5 minutes after getting out of Irenicus' dungeon.
>>
>>342838972
I like the Yag Shurgoth Ascension battle though, where you need to fight an entire Army.

The ones to avoid are Tactics mods which cheat to make things a chore.
>Immunity to magic weapon scrolls for everyone
>Spell tattoos for everyone.
>muh seatbelt theory
>>
>>342838905
the day I found Daystar behind the lich in Athakltha City Gates was the best day of my life
>>
>>342839035
Is there a mod to unnerf the liches in BG2?
>>
>>342836758

>Don't do it OP, ask for a refund, SJW agenda pushing aside the enhanced edition is broken as hell, horrible UI and bugs everywhere.

Enhanced edition is fine, stop talking garbage. They've fixed most of the bugs at this point and it saves OP having to hunt around for mods to fix the broken shit in the original version. All you have to do is ignore the new characters they put in - and that isn't difficult since they're completely optional.
>>
>bought the enhanced edition
LMFAO
>>
>>342838928
Gesen is +4, but I can't get the string for that until after Spellhold.

I have the +1 from the beastmaster in Copper Coronet for now - saving decent arrows for things regular arrows can't hit.

>tfw up to 5 attacks per round

>>342838905
>BG2 had such a retarded equipment curve. Most of the best equipment is available right from the start.
As long as you're not gem-duping most of that stuff is too expensive though, so it's not too bad.

I hate how there's a ring of 18 charisma you can get almost immediately though. Makes me want to ignore that stat when I make characters.
>>
>>342838905

Like what? I remember most of the truly broken shit coming much later.
>>
>>342839035
But if I find an awesome sword in the Underdark, I would have liked if it was worth identifying for a reason other than increasing its sale price.
>>
>>342839197
but if you ignore the stat you can't romance saerileth!!!
>>
>>342839197
The fuck would you need charisma for in a game without dialogue skillchecks
>>
File: katana chop.gif (1 MB, 396x224) Image search: [Google]
katana chop.gif
1 MB, 396x224
>>342839136
>Is there a mod to unnerf the liches in BG2?

Yes.

http://www.weidu.org/tactics.html

Be prepared for annoyance.
I do recommend the improved final boss one though if you've played it before, spices it up.
The Acid Katana from the purposefully annoying Kensai fight is probably overpowered though. On the other hand other than Celestial Fury there are no good Katanas in the game.
>>
>>342835265

Bad advice imo. BG2 has aged well and is still a great game, it introduces you to everything important without bothering about the BG1 stuff too much. BG1 has aged like milk and is much, much harder to get into. The story is less interesting and your character is crazy weak the entire game.

It's low level DnD vs mid-high level DnD. Mid level is much more engaging and high level is great fun.
>>
>>342839308
top kek

I downloaded that mod once just to see how bad it was and holy shit it's the most special of snowflakes voiced by a late 30's chain smoking russian drag queen.

I liked the Chloe mod though: immediately killing her and selling her swords is a fun way to start the game with a handful of extra cash.

I unironically like the Imoen romance mod.
>>
>>342833893
You're in for one of the best isometric rpgs of all time, right behind fallout 1+2 and arcanum
>>
Jaheira best girl
>>
>>342838953
Dual or multi-class Ranger/Cleric? Which is better?
>>
>>342839429
I think BG2 is far superior, but BG1 is good in its own right as well. It has a more focused structure and is more grounded due to the way it is lower level. The way you actually get to explore around in the wilderness is fun too.

The best thing to do is import BG1 into the BG2 engine so you get all the benefits and improvements.
>>
>>342839429
fag

>>342839638
this
>>
>>342839558
This. Too bad she is multiclass though.
>>
>>342833893
Antiquated and tired game mechanics. Walking simulator with superfluous dialog.

Anyone who actually recommends this hot garbage is viewing the game through nostalgia-tinted glasses.
>>
File: 1.png (17 KB, 408x168) Image search: [Google]
1.png
17 KB, 408x168
What happen?
>>
>>342839638
>The best thing to do is import BG1 into the BG2 engine so you get all the benefits and improvements.
I really like BG1 so playing them together as a single game is how I prefer to play it - but there's no denying that BG1 is tedious as all hell if you're not a class which is decent at low levels. Playing BG1 as a sorcerer is pure suffering.
>>
>>342837141
>TOB is shit btw, so don't play it

Not even close to true. ToB is great fun and gives decent closure to the story.

It's not amazing but it's definitely not bad and it's certainly worth playing. Plus You get to properly kill Saemon Harvarian
>>
File: khalid the cuck.png (852 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
khalid the cuck.png
852 KB, 1280x720
>>342839558
>>342839685
She would be irrelevant if she wasn't multiclass. Pure druids are shit.
>>
>>342839429

Yeah, fuck BG1. I loved it back in the day but I don't have the time nor the patience for low-level DnD these days. BG2 is a much more pleasant experience.
>>
>>342834221
I really wish more games operated like that.

>give you a distant yet achievable goal X
>have fun, find your own way to it

Way too much "go to A, then B and C" handholding these days.
>>
So is Twisted Rune even beatable without cheesecaking your way like a retard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry1ODSor5BM
>>
>>342839597
I prefer Dual. You miss out on High-Level Ranger abilities but you level up Ranger faster and get more HP.

Then once you're done with Ranger you level up Cleric at an accelerated rate, enjoying the larger spell list.
>>
>>342839807
She should have been pure warrior though. Her druid levels is basically an xp drain.
>>
>>342833893
>Any advice?

Do all quests before you sail to go rescue Imoen.
Make sure Yoshimo is in your party when you go rescue Imoen, even if you haven't used him. Make space for him.

Download the mod that lets you romance Jaheria, Viconia and Aerie at the same time. It's just more fun that way.

Don't get the mod that lets you own all the class buildings, that's too much for a first run-through, save that kind'a finnicky shit for second/later runs.
>>
>>342839685
That's not a bad thing. Jaheira learns Druid spells insanely fast thanks to Druids having such a fast leveling curve, and she functions well enough as a secondary tank for the whole game - especially if you get her things like Iron Skins.

Once she learns Insect Plague at level 9 Druid, fights against groups of mages become hilariously easy.
>>
>>342839685
>>342839807
I use the mod that gives Druids cleric speed level advancement and Cleric spell slot advancement. Makes things more balanced.

It means slower levels early on but much faster between 14 and 15 onward.
>>
>>342839913
Insect plague my friend
>>
>>342839685
>multiclass
>too bad

you need to play D&D, my friend
>>
>>342839763
They seem to have implemented some additional "improvements" recently. It took me few minutes to go through all the menus to uncheck all the boxes but at least you can still unfuck it.
>>
>>342839871
At higher levels, sure. Have a cleric summon Skeletal Warriors to fuck up the Beholder and fighter, have Keldorn beat up the rest with Carsomyr and truesight.

Is using Carsomyr consider cheese in and of itself?
>>
>>342839991
Mage fights are hilariously easy once you get a wand of cloudkill, ie right after Irenicus' dungeon.
>>
>>342839913
>iron skin
>>
>>342839151
>Hunting around for mods
>BG2

Come the fuck on. It's got one of the most well maintained Mod collections in gaming history.

>>342839197
>As long as you're not gem-duping most of that stuff is too expensive though, so it's not too bad.

Don't need to do anything like that. Just sell the most expensive thing you have (probably Daystar) to a fence then steal it back, then repeat forever.

It's still pretty much cheating but it's working entirely within the game's internal logic rather than an exploit.
>>
>>342839961
>Make sure Yoshimo is in your party when you go rescue Imoen, even if you haven't used him.

I don't like Yoshimo, which sucks because he's the perfect replacement for Imoen early on. Nalia can't pick locks for shit and Yan is just annoying.
>>
File: Complaints.jpg (66 KB, 831x445) Image search: [Google]
Complaints.jpg
66 KB, 831x445
>>342840117
>you need to play D&D, my friend
>>
>>342840206
>Mage fight are hilariously easy once you get a wand of cloudkill
ftfy - it's a single charge of cloudkill - big whoop.
>>
>>342840117
We are talking about BG though. Multiclass are great early and midgame.

>>342840213
Mediocre. The long casting time makes them less useful for warriors in the fray of things.
>>
File: Worst Girl.jpg (251 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Worst Girl.jpg
251 KB, 800x600
There's a Thief Level 4 who is only good for one quest then you can safely drop her forever killing her then dropping her so she can't bother anyone ever again is best
>>
>>342840239
>Just sell the most expensive thing you have (probably Daystar)
I'm starting to feel retarded for not having ever picked up Daystar before. Seems like it's common knowledge.
>>
>>342840345
Sell it, buy it back -> 50 charges of cloudkill.
>>
File: 1.jpg (46 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
46 KB, 184x184
>>342840359
>long casting time
>lasts 12 hours
>>
>>342840359
That's why you cast it before a fight, it last like 12 hours
>>
>>342840263
>and Yan is just annoying.

That's a shame man, because Jan has some of the best dialogue/banter in the game, along with one of the better companion quests.

He's a solid party member and I personally found him to be a lott'a fun.

Might be nostlagia talking though, now he may be a bit too "quirky" for me. Haven't played in years.
>>
>>342840438
That seems like a glitch.
>>
File: dickass thief.png (6 KB, 360x664) Image search: [Google]
dickass thief.png
6 KB, 360x664
>>342840263
I think Jan Jansen is pretty hilarious since he pisses off most of the NPCs with his ridiculous stories.

I didn't care for him when I was young and edgy but now I love the little fucker. I can see why others wouldn't feel the same, he's very love it or hate it.

Shame his personal quest is shit. You get nothing good from it and it has no closure. Probably one of the most fucked up things in the game. He's even more of a cuck than Keldorn

The best thing about Yoshi is that he gets along with everyone purposefully, except Haerdalis. Haerdalis is an actor and he can tell when someone else is just acting and refusing to get along with Yoshi. A nice touch

Baldur's Gate 2 doesn't have enough good thieves, sadly.
>>
>>342840493
>casting time = duration
>>
>>342840625
casting time is irrelevant when your spell lasts 12 fucking hours
>>
>>342840505
>>342840532
I'll add Yan to my group the next time I play. Not this time though. I like my thief-less team for this run.
>>
>>342840625
So you cast it before a fight and laugh as she becomes a Wall.

Do you wait until combat starts for your mages to cast Stoneskin?
>>
>>342840720
>Do you wait until combat starts for your mages to cast Stoneskin?
...yes
>>
Don't worry about locks and traps because the game is balanced around using a level 7 Thief
>>
>>342840680
For me thieves are basically needed because traps and locked containers and doors are such a huge chore otherwise. You can work around them a little with a Cleric casting the detect traps spell and then summoning things to go wander into the trap to set them off, but you're missing out on tons of XP that way.
>>
File: 1456001210042.jpg (35 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1456001210042.jpg
35 KB, 500x455
>tfw Bioware will never make a good RPG or even a good game again
>the only place to look for these types of games are lower budget indies because the genre has been watered down to the point where even BG seems hardcore
>>
Mazzy is best girl
>So pure that she gets paladin abilities without even being a paladin
>>
>>342840929
>used goods
>spends the whole game trying to get BLACKED
>>
>>342839520
>arcanum

Arcanum would be better if more of the NPCs had personality and you could control them yourself like in Baldur's gate. The Fallout version of things doesn't work so well in Arcanum in my opinion, where NPCs and monsters just charge in and flail with their balanced swords 100 times a round.

The fact you don't seem to get XP for NPC kills is trash too, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>342841007
Korgan x Mazzy > Mazzy x Yalygar

Valygar is boring but I do really like Stalkers.
>>
>>342840720
Jaheira gets around 7-8 skins at most. Any battle where it is worth to even begin considering it, 7 blocked attacks are worthless.
>>
>>342841095
pretty much every troika game would be better if it was polished but hey they didn't get interplay big bucks like Bioware did
>>
>>342841218
>Any battle where it is worth to even begin considering it, 7 blocked attacks are worthless

You can use it all the time since it lasts so long, might as well use it almost every battle.

And 7 blocked attacks is enough to get off Insect Plague. Shame they use the same spell level.
>>
>>342840929
Mazzy is pretty decent - I mainly like her invoke courage spell though. Everything else about her is decent to mediocre.

>>342841187
>Valygar
I was role-playing as a racist elf so I killed him lol
>>
File: BG Aerie.jpg (140 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
BG Aerie.jpg
140 KB, 400x300
- If you're playing a guy, go for Aerie or Jahiera as your waifu.

No matter how much of a semen demon Viconia is, there is no good ending for her. Plus, she'll eventually clash with best bro Keldorn and his passive dispels.
>>
>>342839429
Braindead.
>>
>>342839763
Patch 2.0 and SoD cancer spreading.
>>
>>342840857
Is Imoen actually capable of dealing with all of the locks/traps in the game?

>>342840909
I have Aerie stacked up with Knock spells for locks and I've just been heal-bombing my way through traps. Every single character in my party has at least a couple of heals and plenty of healing potions, so it has been a real non-issue save for lack of xp, but I've made up for that by having only 4 party members.
>>
>>342841518
Pretty much. BG1 is braindead because low level D&D gives you virtually no options.
>>
File: Crying elf.gif (76 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
Crying elf.gif
76 KB, 540x540
>>342841432
Aerie is an annoying god damn bitch.
>>
>>342841605
There's equipment that can boost her skills too.
>>
>>342841432
>not romancing Imoen

I honestly don't know which I like more out of Aerie and Jaheira. They both have some real downsides to their character, but they both have their moments too.
>>
>>342841607
Nice try, braindead.
>>
>>342841607
The vast majority of high-level options in BG2 are shit. And what's the point of options if you deal with every encounter the exact same way?
>>
I refuse to play SoD because I don't want to see how they butchered my favorite party members
>>
>>342841432
Why do all the BG girls have so much shit in their hair? Wouldn't that take forever to get ready?
>>
>>342841835
>And what's the point of options if you deal with every encounter the exact same way?
Don't then. Find different cheese strats. The game is as fun as you make it.
>>
File: imoen stop.jpg (21 KB, 160x228) Image search: [Google]
imoen stop.jpg
21 KB, 160x228
>>342841775
>romancing Imoen
>>
I want to make a party of characters from another game or series or anime or something.
>>
File: Jaheira_Portrait_BG2.png (208 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Jaheira_Portrait_BG2.png
208 KB, 210x330
>>342841906
You expect D&D neckbeards to care about that?
>>
>>342841775
The only moments I remember with Aerie is crying about muh wings and general bitching. The only part Jaheira is annoying is if you romance her and she keeps asking you about your motivations because muh bhaalspawn blood.
>>
>>342841993
That's true for BG1 too though.

Fireballs, Magic Missiles, Charms.

My personal favorite is comboing Stinking Cloud with Animate Dead. Knock out the enemy then let skeletons clean them up.
>>
File: Baldr041.png (698 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Baldr041.png
698 KB, 1280x720
>>342842070
just play with the anime pack
>>
>>342841993
>handicapping yourself
>>
File: baldur's 2hu.gif (283 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
baldur's 2hu.gif
283 KB, 800x600
>>342842070
>>
File: hon.jpg (232 KB, 900x1352) Image search: [Google]
hon.jpg
232 KB, 900x1352
>>342833893
>not playing through BG2 solo as Kensai

Can't get more weeb.
>>
>>342836925
cleric mage is good!
her stats are shite
>>
File: imoen lemon.jpg (102 KB, 306x700) Image search: [Google]
imoen lemon.jpg
102 KB, 306x700
>>342842232
>>
>>342842363
It's okay if you just use her as a backup mage.
>>
>>342842363
I have yet to see why I should do C/M over pure mage.
>>
>>342842494
You can put cleric spells in sequencers and shit.
>>
>>342837251
i remember that trick and it was immensely powerful but that trapper asshole later betrays you. are there any other party members you can acquire that has the trapping ability?
>>
>>342842494
Cleric that can get faster spells off with Vecna.
Cleric that can use things like Blur, Mirror image and Stoneskin.
>>
>>342842163
The fucking final fight with Sarevok always perplexes me. The only way I've ever managed to beat it was by chugging every potion I had and using web/fireball spam from offscreen to weaken them.

I swear the biggest difficulty spike I know of in gaming is the jump from BG1 in general to the final Sarevok fight.

>>342842101
I wish her face wasn't so damn shiny.

>>342842129
>The only moments I remember with Aerie is crying about muh wings and general bitching.
She has a few touching/poignant moments especially when she's started to make her interest in you a little more clear. I liked the sunset dialogue too.
>The only part Jaheira is annoying is if you romance her and she keeps asking you about your motivations because muh bhaalspawn blood.
You forgot about her constant bad dreams. I suppose they're forgivable given the circumstances. Damn I sound petty.
>>
>>342842697
To be fair a lot of BG2 portraits look weird and airbrushed out of game but fine ingame.
>>
>>342842635
I don't bother woth sequencers. They seem unnecessay.
>>
File: the_drow.jpg (407 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
the_drow.jpg
407 KB, 500x706
Why is she so perfect?
>>
File: Jansen.jpg (21 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Jansen.jpg
21 KB, 210x330
>>342842678
This fucker right here. The only guy other than Yoshimo that continues to level up Thief skills.

Haerdalis also gets the Epic Level traps and use any item, so he's pretty handy too.
>>
>>342842883
>Haerdalis also
-tries to NTR the MC so he can go get fucked.
>>
>daily reminder: people are asking beamdog to make a Planescape EE
>>
File: Imoen jansen.jpg (24 KB, 641x160) Image search: [Google]
Imoen jansen.jpg
24 KB, 641x160
>>342842883

The funny thing about Jansen is that because he's not trueclass and is an Illusionist, he gets more high level spells than Imoen despite being a multiclass instead of Dualclass. Shame no Horrid Wilting though.

This is of course not an issue if you use the mage table uncapper.
>>
>>342842956
Only if you have bad taste in virtual women
>>
File: bard alone.jpg (36 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
bard alone.jpg
36 KB, 460x345
>>342842956
Aerie is shit though so it's no issue.

Plus you can easily make Aerie choose you, NTRing him.

Haery is actually pretty good for a Bard. Level fast due to being a bard, get use any item and Spike traps and some spells too. With Offensive spin he's a bit like a Kensai Mage.
>>
>>342842970
But P:ST isn't Bioware.
>>
>>342842268
>>342842232
I made a game before but the save file became corrupted, which was a shame.

Lain (Serial Experiments Lain) - Sorcerer
Shiro (Deadman Wonderland) - Monk (Chaotic good, btw)
Reki (Haibane Renmei) - Cleric
Haruko (FLCL) - Bard (Skald)

Was great fun while it lasted though. Shiro and Haruko would tank things easily while Lain did all sorts of crazy magical bullshit and Reki had a smoke.
>>
>>342843002
>>342843183
Meh, I just don't like him.
>>
>>342843534
That's fine, but he's a pretty interesting character.

Being an extra-planar tiefling Doomguard from Sigil gives him really interesting views on things. He basically rants to Aerie about how the destruction of Saradush makes him ROCK HARD.
>>
>All 3 romance options are filthy knife ears
Bleh.
>>
>>342843835
>No ability to fuck Imoen
>>
>>342844110
Is that Imoen romance mod any good?
>>
>3 romance options
>none of which halfling or gnome
Dropped
>>
File: dat boi.jpg (31 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
dat boi.jpg
31 KB, 210x330
>>342843835
>>342844525
>there are people who willingly ignore best romance
>>
File: Imoen Romance.jpg (547 KB, 1125x1600) Image search: [Google]
Imoen Romance.jpg
547 KB, 1125x1600
>>342844390
Never tried it but I don't think so.
>>
File: baldur's gate portrait.jpg (6 KB, 110x170) Image search: [Google]
baldur's gate portrait.jpg
6 KB, 110x170
>>342844663
Don't even joke about that, he's insufferable.
>>
>>342833893
>get Edwin asap
>win game
>>
>>342844390
>Is that Imoen romance mod any good?
As someone who has tried it:
Yes.

It's cheesy, but for what it is, it's well written overall. Expect a few bs dream sequences, and for extra characterisation which doesn't perfectly gel with the canon, but if you can put up with that then you'll get an NPC romance which arguably rivals the original 3 (fuck off anomen you don't count). It deals with its contentious subject matter with a reasonable amount of tact and has some extra funny banter which isn't immersion-breaking in the slightest.

It's certainly leagues ahead of the other most well-known custom NPC romances.
>>
File: Jaheira2.png (122 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Jaheira2.png
122 KB, 210x330
>>342843835
One of them's a half elf

>>342844939
ayo got any good Conan portraits? I want to roll a barbarian or berserker next playthrough.
>>
Did anyone make a Band of the Hawk run? Where Griffith learns about his heritage in a not-so dark world so he doesn't end up betraying the best bro ever(Judeau)?
>>
File: Imouto come on.jpg (459 KB, 1095x875) Image search: [Google]
Imouto come on.jpg
459 KB, 1095x875
>>342845134
Really? I was already romancing some other bitches, can I still romance Imoen or would I need to start a new game so I can have her bitch at me about romance in the starter dungeon or some such?
>>
>>342845618
There's an option to have multiple romances simultaneously when you install it, so if you're trying to make a harem there shouldn't be a problem. Most of the content happens once you meet her again in spellhold so as long as you haven't reached her there it should be fine. Prior to spellhold there are just ~3 dream sequences and a tiny bit of extra dialogue in the first chapter (which you can skip without affecting things).
>>
>>342845134

Is that the one where Imoen gets raped by a Dwarf? Fuck that. Stupid as shit and pointless to boot.
>>
Which party members would you say are best/have the best interactions?
>>
>>342846501
Imoen/Korgan

Aerie/Viconia
>>
>>342846501
I enjoy seeing Jaheira and Viconia talk shit to Aerie. Memeinsc has some funny lines too.
>>
>>342846501
Mazzy Korgan and Mazzy Valagyr are both good.

Edwin is good with basically everyone, although some try to murder him.
>>
File: dorf work.jpg (285 KB, 896x587) Image search: [Google]
dorf work.jpg
285 KB, 896x587
>>342846191
>Is that the one where Imoen gets raped by a Dwarf?

Wait, what? Why?
>>
File: Edwin.jpg (19 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Edwin.jpg
19 KB, 210x330
Why is Edwin the most based character in Baldur's Gate?
>>
>>342847687
He's the best mage due to the massive +3 spells per level he gets, in addition to being a pure mage and even getting a bonus to saves and XP from her quest.

That said, a Sorcerer is likely better due to the broken way they can munchkin spells.
>>
>>342847687
>trans
>based
k

nah he's pretty funny tho
>>
File: edwina.jpg (125 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
edwina.jpg
125 KB, 800x600
>>342847931
That curse is hilarious.
>>
>>342839597
You will lose the starting kits and you will be limited to the cleric weapons as well as some healthpoints if you multiclass. If you can do without these things then multiclass. That being said, it's not bad to dual into a cleric. You get bless and healspells and you won't have to spend half the game being useless to your party.
>>
>>342834596
>>342835265
>>342835339
Doesn't work on everyone anons.

I hated BG1 but BG2 really got me into the whole series.

BG1 is down to taste.
>>
>>342845134
All I remember is seeing a screenshot of a dialogue which had the option to slap her over and over again.

Didn't really make me want to try the mod. Was that a different one?

And is what
>>342846191
said about Dorf Rape true?
>>
>>342848047
I'd fuck edwina.
>>
>>342839359
>gif starts out with obvious katana, which is single edged blade.

>right before blade hits on blade, it suddenly transforms into completely different shaped double edged blade

Wtf.
>>
File: edwina diff.jpg (57 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
edwina diff.jpg
57 KB, 210x330
>>342848321
Apparently she has a great rack.
>>
>>342848280
There are tons of random dialogue options, but I never bothered trying them all out.

>And is what x said about Dorf Rape true?
I honestly don't remember. There was something along those lines, but I don't remember if she actually mentioned rape. It's pretty dark either way.
>>
>>342848047
Do you need to run a party of edgelords if you want to keep Edwin and do the quest?
>>
>>342839429
Alternatively, because BG1 is low-level most enemies, including bosses, have fuck all in the way of resistances and saving throws. Even someone like Sarevok, you can Greater Malison/Doom him, then use literally anything you want from Dire Charm to make him murder everyone else there to Hold Person.
It allows a wide range of creativity with spells which are otherwise totally shit in BG2 because everything is too high level for them to be efficient
>>
File: fuck muh katana.gif (2 MB, 310x191) Image search: [Google]
fuck muh katana.gif
2 MB, 310x191
>>342839359
>>342848496

It's actually 2 gifs melded together, showing a Katana chopping a longsword and a longsword chopping a katana.
>>
>>342848559
He never starts fights but Minsc and Keldorn will try to kill him after some banter goes too far.

The only real issue with Edwin is that he'll leave if your reputation goes above 18.
>>
>>342849548
Keldorn is great due to his Kit and Carsomyr but he's a picky bitch.

He'll fight Viconia, Anomen, Edwin and even Charname if your rep is too low during your first Slayer change
>>
http://g.e-hentai.org/g/904474/8d09471eea/
This thing keeps getting stranger.
>>
File: Siege-of-Dragonspear.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Siege-of-Dragonspear.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
So, is it horrible?
>>
>>342836016
Adding new characters into old stories isn't desirable.
Imagine another star wars remaster, where Jar Jar works for chewie and han.
>>
>>342851208
I'd say it is a bit different as the NPC's don't affect the story in Baldur's gate and I imagine the new ones follow that too.
>>
File: modern Baldurs Gate writing.png (293 KB, 808x970) Image search: [Google]
modern Baldurs Gate writing.png
293 KB, 808x970
>>342851107
You tell me
>>
>>342851651
Tell me this is ironic and meant as a joke because they would not dare to go this low.
>>
>>342851107
It's not horrible mechanically and I actually like how higher difficulties change enemy composition and shit, but that modern style of writing I suppose really clashes with Baldur's Gate of old. You can tell someone was OH SO SMART AND WITTY when they wrote certain characters. Baldur's Gate games were no writing masterpieces but they indulged in D&D archetypes and cliches which made it charming and cheesy at times. This is just someone pushing their beliefs into a game, whether you agree with them or not.
>>
>>342838286
What are some recommended mods? Ascension is pretty bad as is ToB. I like SCS.
>>
File: NOOOOOOO.jpg (24 KB, 580x250) Image search: [Google]
NOOOOOOO.jpg
24 KB, 580x250
>>342851651
>>
>>342852684
Unfinished Business is pretty good.

I like Kelsey as a companion mod, but don't use him on your first playthrough.

The Banterpack is good for adding some more dialogue between NPCs that fits pretty well.
>>
File: disgracing the iconic hat.png (292 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
disgracing the iconic hat.png
292 KB, 360x360
>>342852010
It's all about ethics, you see.
>>
>>342852684
What's wrong with Ascension?
>>
>>342847687
Charismatic evil guy. Where did all of Bioware's talent end up anyways?
>>
>>342852010
>5000 enemies waiting in line around every corner
>highest difficulty just adds tons of health to the enemies
>rats need 10 hits
No thanks.
>>
>>342854398
>Charismatic evil guy
>Constantly talking under his breath about everyone loud enough so they can actually hear it
>Doesn't realize they can hear him muttering

He's the opposite of charismatic, he's hilariously pathetic.
>>
>pick females
>can only romance the paladin cuck
explain this
>>
Is it better to play vanilla BG1 with unfinished business and widescreen mods for a first time blind playthrough rather than BGT or Tutu? It sounds like you can kind of fuck yourself in BGT/Tutu/EE because you might put points into proficiencies for weapons you won't find until the very end of BG1.
>>
>>342855215
The game is old.
>>
>>342855215
They were going to put in Romances for Haerdalis and Valygar but ran out of time.
>>
>>342855290
You could download the tweakpack and make both games use the BG1 style proficiency groupings.
>>
>>342855215
Romance is irrelevant when you're trying to save the world.
>>
>>342855351
>nigger and queer elf
no thanks, also they can always update the game with patch, or DLC
>>342855481
it adds flavors
>>
>>342843194
And? Icewind Dale wasnt either.
>>
File: Tieflings.jpg (607 KB, 1088x1500) Image search: [Google]
Tieflings.jpg
607 KB, 1088x1500
>>342855650
Hey, the male romance options are no better. Who would you prefer to romance, Minsc or Edwin? They're both Joke characters.

Haerdalis is a Tiefling, not an Elf.
>>
>>342851107
Complete and absolutely forgettable
>>
>>342855650
>we gotta save the world
>but first let me go fag it up for days to impress this nigger

Why don't you fuck off back to Runescape General
>>
Don't listen to >>342835265
and do what he >>342839429 says.
Don't play BG1, it's inferior and you don't need it to enjoy Shadows of Amn. Just as much you don't need to know forgotten realms to enjoy the game
>>
>>342837251
also cloud spell wands work just fine
>>
>>342855215
Anomen has the best story though. Depending on your choices you can use the vagina powers to either turn him into redeemed member of the holy order, or spiteful Punished Anomen
>>
>>342855840
Minsc is nut but at least he's white and could give good dicking
Edwin could try some kinky stuffs with magic
>>342855957
oh fuck off they not machines, also romance and a bit of comfy moments always help to ease the tension for big battles and dangerous missions, mr serious guy
>>
>>342856069
You are really trying with your faggotry
>>
File: Sarevok!.jpg (81 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
Sarevok!.jpg
81 KB, 500x733
>>342856367
Minsc is russian, he isn't White.

Honestly, none of the men in Baldur's gate 2 are good options. The only one I can think would be Keldorn, but he's married already.

I mean, Korgan? Jansen? Fucking CERND? Keep Cernd far away from women and children.

Honestly, most of the men already have other women. Jan has his old sweetheart he yearns for, Keldorn is married, Sarevok has Tamoko.
>>
>>342856930
Sarevok is black too, yuck.
>>
>>342846501
Neera.
>>
>>342858209
As great as Wild Mages are, I wish she was a Sorceror instead.
>>
>>342853243
Pretty much everything. But part of it is that it's ToB.
>>
>>342837181

Just checked, You are right, Fucking scummy bastards.
>>
>>342859296
That doesn't tell me anything.
>>
>>342833893
>What am I in for?

An outdated game we all pretend to like so we get treated with more respect by other people who pretend to like it for the same reason.
Don't forget to quit about 10 hours in, it doesn't get any better and you'll know enough to be able to pull of the act.
>>
>>342837141
>Don't put assholes and goodies in the same party

WTF nigga, those are the best parties! The banter is top notch.
>>
Why do this game/franchise don't have special abilities for melee classes, like Barbarian, for lower level. Why can't I use Whirlwind Attack as smaller level but instead just autoattack. Probably never gonna like this game cuz of this primal reason.
>>
>>342833893
it's basically a worse BG2 with the Trilogy mod or whatever other mods combination you can use to get 3.5+all content in the same game.
>>
File: 1347841332228.jpg (9 KB, 251x228) Image search: [Google]
1347841332228.jpg
9 KB, 251x228
>>342860845
>>
>>342860845
Baldurs gate 1 and 2 plus expansions played sequentially are probably as good as computer games get.

Maybe beaten by Might and Magic 4&5
>>
>>342861829
>Baldurs gate 1 and 2 plus expansions played sequentially are probably as good as computer games get.

Whoa there, easy. You are overdoing it and people get uncomfortable.
>>
>>342860845
I've been playing BG2 for weeks though, of my own free will.
>>
File: weeaboo fightan magicka.jpg (42 KB, 360x471) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo fightan magicka.jpg
42 KB, 360x471
>>342861127
The special classes do that though. Kensai has Kai that makes all your attacks do max damage, Blade has Offensive spin that gives an extra attack, more accuracy and damage and makes he damage roll max. Berzerker has Berzerk, which is like barbarian. Monk has stunning fist and quivering palm. the Different Paladins have some spell abilities like truesight that are handy.

Blade or Kensai/mage are a pretty good option for that. They get abilities that let them do special things through natural powers like Kai and Offensive Spin, but also get magic to power themselves up even more.

That said, what you are referring to is inherent in DnD itself. There was the book of 9 swords in 3.5 edition that tried to address the issue by giving Martial Classes special attacks, but it was derided for it and called the Book of Weaboo Fightan Magick.
>>
>>342839856
Yeah, "gain X gold to progress further into the main story" is pretty good design since it gives you strong motivation to do all those side quests.

The only other game that I know of which did the same thing is one of the NWN2 expansions, "Mysteries of the Westgate". Shame it's pretty medicore.
>>
>>342861829
I like Xeen's world and setting more but I enjou MM6's dungeons and general gameplay more.
>>
>>342863659
If only there was something like a 'story' or 'characters' or maybe even a 'villain' that could provide said motivation instead.
>>
>>342863970
But BG2 has that too, but gives you motivation to do some side quests and explore in your own way at the same time. Good combo.

The Dream sequences are nice too, ensuring you remember your overall purpose.
>>
>>342863614
Well, thx a lot, but, I want more something like (if possible) Barbarian Kit, where u can do all high level abilities on low(er) level, cuz Barbarians are my fav class, but I wanna play him more like Diablo 2 style. Thx again, but ill look for it more
>>
>>342863614
>Book of Weaboo Fightan Magick

Ha ha, I know right? Fucking DMs trying to make things interesting for the players, instead of admitting that everyone not playing wizard should have zero input in fights.
>>
>>342863659
The first two Fallout games and Gothic handle sidequests pretty well too.
>>
>>342863970
Those motivate you to progress further into the main story, I'm talking about the motivation to do side quests.

It's hard to find any motivation to do side quests beyond "I want to do side quests" since you have literally no idea what they are going to be about before you start doing them.

Your reading comprehension is poor.
>>
>>342864245
Fallouts do it well because the whole game is basically an information hunt.

Gothic also requires you do to multiple sidequests before you progress further into the main story.
>>
>>342864164
Don't attack me, I didn't give an opinion on it either way, just a statement of facts since what he was talking about was relevant to it.

I personally like the Book of 9 Swords. The classes in it are well balanced. Far better and more useful that core martials, not as game breaking as Wizards of CoDzilla.
The only bad thing about it is it is partially to blame for 4e.

>>342864314
Morrowind has the "quest giver" for the beginning of the game instruct you to do some freelance adventuring or guild work before starting the main quest and reminds to do some in between quests as well as part of a cover story. It isn't quite as well done as BG2 in it since it isn't really mandatory, but it is a nice touch.
>>
>>342863970
You are retarded.

Story, characters and villain motivate you to do main quests.

If main quest can only be done by doing a set amount of side quests first, you are now motivated to do both.
>>
>>342864717
Morrowind suffers from signpost NPCs with next to no interaction outside of dialogue you have to initiate.
>>
>>342864717
Are we still pretending 4E was bad?
Having encounter abilities you can use freely for each class made fights more interesting.
>>
>>342864314
>>342864809
How come they didn't just include main quests in chapter 2 then?
>>
You're in for a learning experience and tons of butthurt. Baldurs Gate 2 is a proud relic of "these games" that were not only completely uninterested in teaching you, but also actively screwed with the player. People like to harp on Dark Souls being le hardcore and le unforgiving, but Dark Souls level and enemy design actually teaches players with great care to adapt and react. Not BG2, your ass will be torn to pieces in the most random ways. The game won't tell you how to find all these epic weapon parts, the game won't tell you that different classes level differently, nobody will explain to you how magic works, party members might tell you to suck it and leave halfway through the game, or worse, murder other party members, its SUPER EASY to get yourself locked in unwinnable scenarios where the only way out is to defeat a monster that one shots your entire party (hello, Planar Prison), you can permanently lose stats and get erased from existence by picking wrong dialogue option or pressing wrong button, there is a large puzzle-filled section that will become your quickload nightmare. Oh, and at some point your main character transforms into satan and attacks his own men. And your gf gets stolen in case you romance anyone. Have fun
>>
File: dungeons_porny girls.jpg (96 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
dungeons_porny girls.jpg
96 KB, 600x750
>>342864164
Honestly, it's more because most DMs have a hard on for two things: not!Asian bullshit and sea monsters. Weeaboo bullshit is usually easier to implement than to get your players on a boat. Oh, and dungeons are full of hot women who are just waiting to reward you with sex for saving them.
>>
>>342865245
It had some big issues such as enemies having too much health and classes ending up too similar.

5e is better.
>>
>>342865331
Because chapter 2 was made to give you stronger motivation to do side quests.

They basically made it so side quests are actually part of the main questline.
>>
File: ika sad in ocean.jpg (59 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ika sad in ocean.jpg
59 KB, 1280x720
>>342865547
>Weeaboo bullshit is usually easier to implement than to get your players on a boat

God damn it, why are oceans so great if they're so terrible to play in?

I actually had a Cruise murder mystery on a boat crossing the ocean with my players. It was pretty great.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.