[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
castlevania thread what are your thoughts on this game? i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: harmony of dissonance.jpg (2 MB, 1476x1476) Image search: [Google]
harmony of dissonance.jpg
2 MB, 1476x1476
castlevania thread

what are your thoughts on this game? i'm playing it for the first time and i'm not enjoying it as much as i did sotn. it just feels way too clunky
>>
yeah i dont like this one or circle of the moon. aria of sorrow is more like sotn
>>
Aria > Circle >>> Harmony
>>
Why does everyone hate on PoR?
>>
>>342771195
JONATHAN
CHARLOTTE
>>
How the fuck is it clunky? You get a multidirectional dash for fuck's sake.
>>
>>342771195
I can't speak for everyone else, but I enjoyed PoR quite a bit. The only Igavania I can't beat is Harmony since I just lose interest roughly half way into the game. And it's not just me either, I know two other people who feel the exact same way about Harmony and gave up on it too. Something about that game is just lacking compared to the others.
>>
>>342771989
It's fucking boring.
>>
>>342771195
the only criticism i see about por is mostly the anime artstyle
>>
>>342770981
THIS
>>
>>342771195
The only thing I hate about the DS ones is how everything is on the fucking bottom screen for shitty touch screen gimmicks.
>>
>>342770426
It's a pretty clunky and awkward game, trying to merge the aesthetics of SotN and older Castlekino games. I enjoyed it, but it is indeed the weakest of the GBA games.
>>
>>342771307
this one is literally the best castlevania in my own opinion but it can do without the weeb art style it had a large map and plenty of weapons to chose from both sword and whip along with different magics
>>
Shit

That's when Castlevania died. When they went from big-time AAA console games to shitty, irrelevant handhelds and phone games
>>
File: 1446324193692.jpg (72 KB, 500x588) Image search: [Google]
1446324193692.jpg
72 KB, 500x588
am I the only one who unironically enjoys all the Lords of Shadow games? They're not perfect and 2 especially has its flaws but they all have some charm and actual fun bits that I can't help but enjoy them
>>
File: 1465099257867.jpg (447 KB, 1207x1167) Image search: [Google]
1465099257867.jpg
447 KB, 1207x1167
>>342770426
quick /v/ what is:

>your favorite game
>least favorite game

>favorite character
>least favorite character

>favorite music
>least favorite music

>Classicvania or Metroidvania?

Now the kicker:
>If Konami ever decides to make an actual Castlevania game what would you want them to do?

Bonus:
>what do you think of Bloodstained?
>>
>>342773296
>Rondo
>None, I don't bother playing games I don't like

>Rondo Maria
>Judgement Maria

>OG Bloody Tears
>It's all good shit nigga, no least favorite

>I prefer classicvanias as a tighter platformer. In metroidvanias I find it too tempting to grind past difficult parts like a filthy casual. It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges though, they're both good.

>I'd like to see them test the waters with a budget title. A simple classicvania. I don't mind re-used sprites or music so long as the levels and platforming are well thought out.

>Bloodstained looks really pretty if nothing else. Jumping looks a little too floaty, but that may work in the wider context of the finished game
>>
>>342770426
Literally SOT part 2
>>
>>342771195
I don't hate it but I'm disappointed the tag team gimmick really has no point midway through the game. Once you're past the Egypt level, you could just play as Johnny the whole way.
>>
>>342773083
No, you're not alone, I love that game, it felt closer to what I had in mind about what an old Castlevania in 3D would be more than any other. It was also a good thing for me that it was harder than most games that were released at that time.

I loved it enough that I actually bought it twice, the regular version and then the french collector's edition with the steel Mask of God which had something like only 100 units being released and is not being sold for something like 900€.

There was only ~100 units released because there was a problem in the fabrication of the mask which postponed the release of that collector by 3 weeks and thus Konami decided to axe the production since they initially planned to release something like 2k of it.
>>
>>342771195
>people hate on Portrait of Ruin
Really? I fucking loved that game.
>>
>>342771195
Shitty anime style aside, I liked it. Lots of weapon and possibilities for different playthroughs, and the kill counter and item library easily satisfied my grinding autism
>>
>>342770426

Its bad, one of the few games I've ever pawned.
>>
>>342770426
I like Harmony, especially how morbid Castle B is and the crazy experimental music. The graphics are really nice too, since they managed to cram PS1 effects on a 16-bit handheld.

But yeah, it does drag halfway through.They tried to mix SotN with Simon's Quest, including the weird and vague clues, and as a result it's the weaker of the three GBA games. Still a good game.

Also the cover art is amazing. I miss Ayami Kojima's cover artwork.
>>
>>342773296
>favorite
Rando of blood,It was pretty good all around and the one I could find the least reasons to be hated.
>least
QTEVania:Lords of PS3
>favorite music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2ojV4eY8w
>Least favorite music
don't know, I usually don't listen to music I don't like.

>classic or metroid
I can see people liking metroid for some reasons,but I'd rather have the game at apecific difficulty and grindless.

>Konami make a castlevania
2D or bust,just don't make anymore 3D.

>my thoughts on bloodstained
dunno didn't play It.
>>
>>342773296
>Classic
Favorite: Either Rondo or Super Castlevania
Least Favorite: Dracula XX

>Metroidvania
Favorite: Ecclesia or Aria
Least Favorite: Harmony, not bad but nothing special either

>Favorite music
Out of Time, no love for that one

>Least favorite
Underwater Sanctuary, playing Circle will make you hate it

>Classicvania or Metroidvania?
Either

>If Konami ever decides to make an actual Castlevania game what would you want them to do?
Not sure. Maybe make them less linear.

I hope it does well as long as it doesn't become Mighty No. 9 tier
>>
The only GBA/DSvania I haven't finished is Harmony
>>
>visuals range from muddy to nauseating
>soundtrack ranges from weak to earsplitting
>gameplay ranges from dull to tedious
>tries too hard to look like sotn without trying to feel like it

It had potential, but it just doesn't really do much right. The magic system was a cool idea but the gameplay itself just isn't fun.

>>342770981
100% this.

>>342771195
I loved it. Not as solid as Dawn, Order, or Aria, but it felt like a really enjoyable love letter to the series' history.

>>342772178
Yeah but Dawn had this too and it gets a lot more love than Portrait.
>>
>>342773296
>Favorite game
Rondo, X68K, Circle, and maybe 3?
>Least favorite
MSX, Haunted Castle, never gave any of the 3D ones much of a try

>favorite music
Dunno. Maybe clockwork either version, Vampire Killer, Iron Blue Intention, Bloodlines and its remix, or Sinking old Sanctuary.
>least favorite music
Probably some shitter track I cant even remember from one of the GB games or something

>Classic or metroidvania
Either, really

>Konami new CV
Maybe something like Circle. Rough around the edges, combat feels significant, challenging, great music, nice hybrid. Not a meh hybrid like Harmony.

>Bloodstained
Haven't played it.
>>
>>342770426
I really liked it. Amazing soundtrack for its time and a great mix of classic/metroidvania.
>>
>>342771195
>anime artsyle, debatable
>relatively small castle with smaller areas inside it, four of which being reskins of previous areas
>Charlotte's Magic is neat but doesn't get too much use due to cast time and the magic being worthless unless you take the wheel and turbocharge it, leaving you susceptible to damage
>as with Dawn it borrows a majority of enemies from SotN and Dawn to boot
>Quests were usually lacking as far as rewards were concerned, especially shit like Miser Ring if you didn't use the NA Exploit
>Nest of Evil was just a bunch of old enemies and Dawn Bosses with a laughable Doppelganger at the end who's as easily exploitable as Whip's Memory
On the bright side you can git gud with Lv1 Cap hard mode as well as a bunch of extra modes.
>>
I don't know why people hated HoD at least it felt more fast than CotM to me
Posting best track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG5EzU2EZ5o
>>
>>342776384
I actually liked the nest of evil, revisiting some old bosses. Though yeah doppelgänger was a let down, but overall I was more fond of it than the cave in OoE
>>
PoR has one of the best final bosses in the series

>MY POWER, USE MY POWER
>>
>>342773296
>Favorite Castlevania
Symphony of the Night
>Least favorite Castlevania
Castlevania 2

>Favorite character
Richter Belmont
>Least favorite character
Honestly I would say the entire villain cast of Dawn of Sorrow.

>Favorite music
MAD FOREST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbKUdFvbeM
>least favorite music
This song right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5-tNAMamsU

>Classicvania or Metroidvania
Honestly despite SOTN being my favorite game I would say in general Classicvania is superior.

MAKE THE GAME TAKE PLACE IN THE WAR OF 1999 WHERE YOU PLAY AS YOUNG JULIUS.

Looks pretty damn good actually. Not amazing, but I'm still hyped.
>>
>>342777291
>Not this Mad Forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q54fGKqoSU
>>
>>342770426
It's been a long time since I played it, but compared to Aria of Sorrow it's pretty unrefined. Even compared to the somewhat lackluster CotM or the DS games it feels kind of weak.

I wish Juste didn't just look like Alucard Pt. II, also. But there are a lot of things about Kojima's work I don't like.
>>
>>342773296
>>342773296
>your favorite game
Castlevania III/AkuDens. X68000 and the original are up there, though.
>least favorite game
Legends. Haunted Castle.

I prefer the Classicvanias by far, but I like a select few Metroidvanias a lot.
>>
>>342771195
The level design ain't great (especially that castle, yikes), bonus modes are blegh, it feels more like Dawn of Sorrow than Bloodlines, and the asset reuse (enemies) is off the charts.

Music is totally amazing, whips are awesome, and the bosses are pretty good, too. I feel like OoE does everything better, though.
>>
>>342773083
All in all the original is as faithful to the original game as Lament of Innocence or Curse of Darkness, if not more so. It has good parts and bad parts, and overall I wish it were less derivative.

Mirror of Fate is a bunch of cool ideas with clumsy execution. It lacked cohesion. The same goes for LoS2. The trilogy in general is defined by a waste of potential, but the Castlevania series has seen far worse.
>>
>>342773083
Yeah, I liked all of them. Mirror of Fate's scenario should've been what was used for LoS2, though.
>>
>>342770426
"not as good as symphony of the night" is setting the bar fairly high though desu
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.