[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how would you do a game based on The Thing? Keep in mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 35
File: 250px-The_Thing_VG[1].jpg (21 KB, 250x319) Image search: [Google]
250px-The_Thing_VG[1].jpg
21 KB, 250x319
So, how would you do a game based on The Thing? Keep in mind the first game was poorly-received.

I know we just had a thread, but I got to it late and I wanted to talk about my favorite movie
>>
>>342757273
SS13, with a better non-laggy engine with no AI or station wide headsets, only handheld radios.
>>
>>342757273
Allow the ability to suck your teammates dicks
No homo
>>
>>342757273
Make it like Dead Space. 3 even takes place in a snowy planet.
>>
>John Carpenter's close friends tell him that many fans of the movie weren't fans when it first came out, but were convinced upon repeat viewings.
>John replies "Well what good does that fucking do me now?"
John Carpenter...had a hard life. I'm glad he's still putting out music though, his scores have always been great
>>
>>342757273
Make it like Undertale
>>
Pretty much TTT but with aliens instead of terrorists
>>
>>342757621
Despite what people seem to say, TTT is a fucking blast.
The only issue with it is that Gmod is populated with 12 year olds, but that's fixed easily if you just use a private server.
>>
More fuseboxes, more puking buddies.
>>
>>342757273
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-thing

Keep in mind that back then a 77 was looked at in a much different light then today. These days anything below even a 90 would be considered bad by many.
>>
>>342757505
the fuck is with this board and sucking dick
>>
>>342757443
So a changeling round when the telecomms knocked out?
>>
>>342757273
I really enjoyed this game.
>>
So what movie do I watch for this?

John Carpenter's from 1982?
>>
File: 1466816380390.jpg (18 KB, 238x162) Image search: [Google]
1466816380390.jpg
18 KB, 238x162
>>342757859
What, are you gay or something?
>>
File: thethingeyes.jpg (140 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
thethingeyes.jpg
140 KB, 600x413
>>342757273
What a good thing game would be;
>10 people
>1 is the thing
>Game lasts an hour
>Thing can complete his objective a number of ways
>Infect others
>Escape
>Kill everyone
>Freeze safely
Can do numerous things to affect the situation
>Sabotage the generators
>Drug people
>Cause distractions
>Steal things
>Get samples of blood and alter appearances
>Disable surveilance/comms/transport
Basically the thing is given all the options to give it an advantage.
Humans have to eat, sleep, keep the place going, the thing can do all these things aswell to keep up appearances but the idea is that the humans cannot just sit their asses down in a room until the time is up, they have to actually be vulnerable on occasion.
>Sleeping is only possible by either locking your doors or having someone watching you (could be the thing)
>The thing can get keys for people's room secretly
>>
>>342757273
Make it like TTT
There are two player types human and thing
The goal of the things is to take over all humans, escape into the wilderness,repair the spaceship, or remain in disguise until rescue arrives.

Humans have one goal make sure the things does not leave. If they cannot determine who is the thing before rescue arrives or is fooled by the thing then they lose. If every human is taken over by the thing then they lose.

They can test blood samples to see who is and who isn't the thing it will always be correct, but it requires time to test each person.

The thing can assimilate people by spiking drinking and food supplies or forceful injection of thing cells. Spiking drinks and food is not a reliable method of assimilating people because the thing's cells cannot survive long in small quantities. However, once infected through this method the take over process is slow and is able of tricking other forms of testing into false results.

Forceful injection is a sure fire method but is loud and time consuming.

The thing and people can both sabotage equipment like the blood testing facility, the radios(which decreases the amount of time humans have), generators which unlocks the doors that allows the thing to escape,food supplies.

Rescue will come with 48hrs(30 minutes in game time).
>>
File: imgp0582_m[1].jpg (1 MB, 2458x1628) Image search: [Google]
imgp0582_m[1].jpg
1 MB, 2458x1628
>>342757273
How about instead of the whole premise, a The Thing like infection is just one of many dangers you can face?

So it's a multiplayer game. You and let's say 11 others are tasked with running this research station in the frozen wasteland, stuck in this perpetual blizzard. Visibility outside is low and you can freeze to death if you're out there too long without proper gear. Objectives are fixing the generator to get the power (most importantly, the lights) back on, aligning a radio dish so a player in the watchtower can detect things approaching the station, fixing the intercom so that player can report what he sees, whatever.

Lurking outside are these horrible fucking monsters that just show up out of the fog. Gargoyles that swoop down and just carry you off, for instance. One of the most infamous types of creatures would be an ambusher that's nigh impossible to fight off by yourself, and instead of just killing you it turns you into an infected monster that needs to feed on other players to survive. You can do everything the players can and can shift forms to be a monster, but if you go too long without feeding you get turned into an AI.
>>
>>342758783
gonna need source on that.
>>
>>342757621
The thing about TTT is that it's just as easy to steamroll everyone.

It should be time consuming and difficult for the thing to eliminate people without detection. otherwise the rest can just fuck it up.
>>
>>342759752
http://exhentai.org/g/882974/2469cf2b95/
>>
>>342758763
Watch them all, the sequel, the 1950's one, but start with john's first, its the best by far.
>>
an action-horror game where you have to be suspicious of everyone because one of them could be the thing, or it could be multiple people and it's different every time you play the game. how about that
>>
>>342757273
All I know is Macready was the Thing at the end.
>>
>>342761952
>McCready
>The Thing
No evidence. Childs however...
>>
>>342757273
Similar to Assassin's Creed multiplayer

To me, the scariest concept of The Thing is when exactly would you lose consciousness and no longer be "you?" I know in the movies it tends to assimilate violently and kill its prey but say for instance it was the cook and got its cells in your food. At what point would you die and the Thing take over? Would you realize it was happening and The Thing would have enough control of your body to keep you from screaming or freaking out? All I can picture is someone walking normally then coming to a complete stop for no reason then walking again. The consciousness blacks out and dies in the transition of the Thing assuming direct control, (but keeps the body standing upright to keep up appearances.)The brief pause in movement is the exact moment the person dies and their consciousness leaves their body and it's no more than another Thing.
>>
>>342763236
What was scary to me was how the thing isn't a mindless killing machine. It obviously is quite competent, as we see it was near finished building a ship. Viewers have to question if the thing didn't realize exactly the evil and damage it was doing or if it didn't care and wanted to infect people.
>>
>>342761952
Wait, are you talking about the game or the movie? Pretty sure MacReady wasn't the Thing at the end of the first movie.
>>
>>342763703
The Thing is almost as smart -if not smarter- than a human

>Rebuilds a fucking UFO to fly out of the base
>Identifies the Norris head to draw suspicion away from itself
>Plants evidence implicating McCready
>Assumes a nonthreatening form (Husky) to observe the humans up close
>>
>>342763703
The bigger forms probably have the collective intelligence of thousands of things it has absorbed, shared in a hive mind kind of way. When its just a couple of molecules infecting someone its probably just aware of basic instict of replicating and such.

So I'd bet the bigger forms that share the hivemind just want to get the fuck out of there (hence the ship they were building) while the smaller forms are a threat to the planet
>>
>>342763703
Which is why the prequel is shit.

They literally turned it into a mindless killing mass of flesh.
>>
>>342763703
The intelligence of it is pretty terrifying, oblivious to morality or not. One of my favorite parts of the prequel is how it establishes The Things aptitude for learning. After first contact with humans, it attacks haphazardly, but it learns that human beings are capable of higher thought and suspicion of The Thing's mimicry. This retroactively makes its stealthy and more thought-out assimilation process in Carpenter's film even better as it reinforces what The Thing learned about people at the Norwegian camp.

I was somewhat disappointed by the prequel's ending since Kate could have tried talking to the one in the vehicle at the end to learn more about it, but the final shot being the helicopter chase made up for it.

Plus that short story about the events told from the Things perspective helped scratch that itch for more info, even if it's non-canon, it's still fun to think about.
>>
>>342764701
What about this perspective?
>>342764760
>>
I remember some bullshit from this game.Like those blood checks were useless since some guys had scripted transformations
>>
>>342757443
This is about as good as it's going to get. You have other non changeling rounds so you can keep the secret of having an alien onboard better than a game dedicated to it where everyone is specifically looking out for it every time.

That being said, ling rounds suck and ss13 sucks.
>>
>>342759682
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Night_Shift
>>
>>342757551

When Kurt Russell and Keith David were sitting around the fire at the end and they were both drinking beers, it was really gasoline.
>>
>>342765197
Don't be daft.
They were drinking from molotovs, the molotovs that Mac was throwing
It was Alcohol.
Several of the arguments are just downright stupid, like that one and the no breath thing everyone chimes on about.
>>
File: Pressure.png (2 MB, 1599x1181) Image search: [Google]
Pressure.png
2 MB, 1599x1181
>>342765124
Meant to have this too.
>>
>>342759096
>multiplayer

STOP

NOT EVERY VIDEO GAME HAS TO BE A SHITTY Xv1 THAT DIES IN A MONTH

Just make it a primarily single player game with random events and survival gameplay. If Dead by Daylight, DotA, CSGO, Lol, and literally every other mp game has taught me, it's that 90% of games will be ruined by fuckers who try too hard to be funny.
>>
>>342765442

I know, it's just funny because /tv/ goons so fucking NUTS about that theory.
>>
>>342765442
You do know what a molotov is right? Using pure alcohol is highly inefficient.
>>
>>342765442
Molotovs aren't made with alcohol, it simply is not flammable enough nor could it produce the effects you saw in the movie
>>
What if the game randomly decided who and how many people were infected, even potentially starting up with the player infected?
>>
>>342757621
whats TTT
>>
>Speaking in 2014, Latham reiterated Wanat's claims that the fear/trust and infection systems came from a desire to reproduce a strong element from the film;

>It was early days for squad-based games, and the fear, trust and infection mechanic was quite innovative for the time. It came from very early meetings where we all watched the film to come up with brand identifiers. We decided there should be a novel AI element that mimicked what happened within the film: you never know who's going to turn.[17]

>Similarly, designer Andrew Curtis said

>We always planned The Thing to be more action-horror, and having had some experience in squad-based gaming with Evolva, it seemed right to have the game as squad-based so we could support the core ideas of fear, trust and infection. It was more about the tension of not knowing what was going to happen next - was the guy next to you going to try and shoot you, go insane or morph into a freakish beast with thrashing tentacles?[14]

>Originally the game was to be more open world based, with the possibility that each NPC could turn into a Thing at any moment completely randomized. Curtis also hoped the player could get to the end of the game with many, perhaps all, of the NPCs still alive. However, this kind of open-endedness proved impossible to implement, with Curtis, pointing out "it was of course very naïve as it caused huge problems with the squad command menu and dynamically balancing the encounters and resources required for the NPC."[14] Ultimately, NPC characters were scripted to change into Things at specific points, irrespective of the player's actions. This led to a much criticized aspect of the game; the player can test an NPC to find he is human only for him to change into a Thing mere second later.[17]

1/2
>>
>>342767438
>Programmer Diarmid Campbell explains

>the infection system was conceived as a simulation that had the capacity to play out differently each time you played the game, leading to potential replayability. However, the game was also very story-led with set-pieces that required specific characters getting infected at certain times. These two aspects were constantly pulling in different directions. I think we ended up with a slightly messy compromise with good story elements and a genuinely new mechanic but also some logical inconsistencies which, ironically, became glaringly obvious if you played the game more than once.[14]

>Similarly, Latham states "We had to scale it back. There were a few cheats to make it entertaining. We tried to mimic human behavior, but at the end of the day it didn't matter too much how you treated your teammates."[17]

2/2

The game would be great if it was either remade or a new game was made from scratch, incorporating what was simply not possible at the time.

I'd rather have that than yet another dead multiplayer game.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
The Starcraft 2 arcade had a very fun "The Thing" custom map. I only played it a few times with my clan, but I found it fantastically creepy.

You and a bunch of marines are in a base full of weapons and powerups. Your vision is extremely limited, and until you find better weapons you're very weak. You win if you wait a few minutes until the escape ship arrives (I seem to it remember showing up at a random place too)

One of the players is the thing, and can morph into any other player, as well into it's "true form." The thing is an absolute beast in melee, so it tries to find situations where it can corner 1 or 2 players safely.

One of the thing I found the most fun about it was that everyone has a "lock door" ability that locks a door for a few seconds. This leads to some "oh fuck" moments if a player splits up the ground while locking a door; you might accidently trap some allies with the thing.

I remember the first time playing it I got on the escape ship and there was only one other person. We didn't trust each other, and we sat there for like 5 minutes pointing guns at each other. Then all of a sudden a third guy jumped in saying "Alright that's everyone lets go." and we shot him immediatly, he was The Thing and he killed us both nearly instantly despite us being armed to the teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxF9gQNj4Do
>>
>>342765898
>>342766061

Yep, but it's a movie and in Hollywood molotovs can be made from alcohol.

What's more likely, that the writer actually wrote a scene where they drink fucking gas, or that the writer hand-waved alcohol not making good molotovs so he can have a cool scene where the dude showed hopelessness by dismantling a molotov so he can drink it?
>>
I was interested in Outpost 13, shame it was a piece of shit.
https://youtu.be/9OpIlho--9U
>>
>>342768957
I'm not even supportive of the theory and I still think you're a massive idiot.

I guess directors and writers should just can the idea of being subtle at all, since the concept of storytelling is already so difficult for viewers like you to figure out.
>>
>>342758473
Thanks Lori
>>
>>342768957
>implying implications
Those molotovs were filled with gas. Saying that it had to have been a writing error is pure bullocks
>>
>>342763236
Perhaps it work quite similar to how Cordyceps works, you're fully aware of what you're doing but your will makes you go along with what the creature is telling your brain to do.

What I don't get is how does the human body rip itself apart in such grotesque ways without damaging itself to the point of death.
>>
>>342769361
I'm not sure what I said that makes me a 'massive idiot.' If someone in a movie calls a mag a clip I don't say "Wow what if they were clips are along" I say "whatever" because it's such an insignificant mistake to make. Same for the "molotovs can be made from alcohol" trope.

I don't know much about fan-theories for The Thing so I guess I'll ask; assuming that the molotovs were gasoline, then what does a scene where they sit around drinking gasoline add to the narrative or support some theory?
>>
>>342765641
Anon, it's the only real way this concept would work because that's what it is.

Unless it's linear as fuck story then there's nothing else that would work.
>>
>>342770395
Mags vs Clips is just using the wrong word. Saying you make a Molotov with alcohol is hot understanding basic chemistry
>>
>>342770395
I believe the gasoline thing is that McCready knows it's gasoline and waits to see Child's reaction, confirming whether or now he's the alien. Iirc McCready does not drink and smirks. He has no weapon and can't run, so it's a last I knew it moment before succumbing to his fate.
>>
>>342763113
Childs were still wearing his earring at the end.
However everybody who Macready shares his bottle of vodka/stotch with ended up infected.
>>
>>342757273

Make it like Until Dawn

>Story driven gameplay
>Highly detailed environments models, animations, facial expressions
>Fewer QTE, but leave them for story critical decisions to add stress to the choice

Branching story paths based on your actions
>Accusing the wrong person fucks up their loyalty/trust in you
>Killing a human by mistake make everyone turn on you
>Being a bad leader or generally fucking up too much causes everyone to lose faith in you

Script the game with a few variables so that there are multiple play throughs possible, not necessarily on the level of anyone being the starting infection, but at least 3 possible vectors which change the progress of the story.
>>
>>342770697
Ah, that is a neat idea. I do really like the ambiguity of the ending, so I'm not sure if I would like it if it turns out that confirms who the thing was in the end.
>>
>>342770457
Except not.

Have you been alive for the last 15 years? Is your only experience with gaming on consoles? Plenty of non-linear, random survival-based games have been created.

I mean fuck, even Zafehouse: Diaries has extremely emergent gameplay and that was made independently by a couple former magazine editors.

Dwarf fortress is made by 2 guys as well. If you want larger or more graphically intensive examples: 7 Days to Die, Monstrum, Consortium, and the list goes on. You know what most if not all of them have in common? They're usually indie studios.

Developers should not dumb down their games just so consolefags don't get bored. If the game was made in the Xv1 multiplayer-only format, then mark my words it will be just as shit if not worse than Evolve.
>>
>>342770182
Well at that point, the whole body is nothing but Thing cells, so the person it's mimicking is long gone. Like I said before though, the Thing usually kills its prey during assimilation with heavy damage to the victims body so at that point there no more of the person'a consciousness left anyway.

It would be crazy to wake up one day not knowing your whole body is made up of Thing cells then just have it awaken like a biological sleeper agent when it finds a good opportunity to assimilate a new organism.
>>
File: Human_Flood_Combat_Form_H3.png (3 MB, 1920x2450) Image search: [Google]
Human_Flood_Combat_Form_H3.png
3 MB, 1920x2450
Is The Thing more powerful than The Flood?
>>
>>342772153
I imagine so, since it has no need for Infection forms or spores to spread. The Thing can spread through touch, and has the ability to hide itself. Plus each individual Thing possesses a degree of individuality, so there is no need for a hive mind (although they might have some form of communication that we can't perceive).
>>
File: blood.png (310 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
blood.png
310 KB, 1920x1080
I've always wondered... who actually got to the blood? A number of theories say that Blair was the one who cut the blood bags, but the problem with that is that you can tell the bags had just been cut, as the blood is still pouring out of the fridge when Doc arrives. Whoever cut them must have done it right before Doc entered the room.
>>
>>342773054
Garry realizes that he dropped his keys while chasing Bennings-thing, so it could have been anyone. Palmer was with them and so was Norris, so it could have been either of them. Blair immediately went to destroy the equipment, but he does so with a gun and ax, so he might have been human at the time. However, Blair could have turned after that and still acquired the keys somehow.
>>
>>342757273
Well for one it'd have to choose who becomes The Thing and in what order randomly each time you start a NG.
>>
>>342772084
I've always operated under the idea the Thing needs to get a critical mass of it's cells inside someone to assimilate them, otherwise the target's immune system might have a chance of fighting off the imitation cells. Otherwise The Thing would divide itself into a swarm of microbes and fuck over everyone, or something.
>>
File: 1466883478406.png (2 MB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
1466883478406.png
2 MB, 1440x960
>>
File: image.jpg (487 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
487 KB, 960x640
>>342774415
Better without the ear
>>
Telltale announces that it's making a The Thing game, how do you react?
>>
>>342774721
see >>342774708
>>
>>342774721
Laughter, just like every other game
>>
File: 1457152152694.jpg (250 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1457152152694.jpg
250 KB, 1024x708
>>342774415
>>342774708
lol nice
>>
>>342772621
The flood can infect the dead, though so even if it just barely wins a battle by a hair it can restore its whole force and add even more than it started with. We don't know if the thing can do that, it's only shown assimilating the living.
>>
>>342774721
Extreme Skepticism as I'm too cynical for almost anything nowadays.
>>
>>342774721
ignore it because it will all be scripted shit
>>
>>342774721
Worried with their writing I can already see a scenario playing out like this

>You called Janice a bitch
>Janice-Thing will remember what you called it
>>
>>342767394
going to word this famalam, lots of references i dont get
>>
>>342757273
Make a spooky clown
>>
>>342757273
>poorly received
but it had pretty good scores although the AI was limited by the tech and the ambitions were not realized, I liked it.
Might pull out my Ps2 and play it tonight.
>>
File: 2016-06-25 20.58.28.png (708 KB, 1076x1019) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-25 20.58.28.png
708 KB, 1076x1019
I actually spent a good couple weeks making a SS13 Baystation version of an Arctic Research outpost. No shuttles, a cargo truck, helipad, oxygen but no heat/pressure outside, so you need cold weather coats.

id finish it but I hit a few brick walls. Mostly that im shitty at coding, and I wasnt sure how to set a proper ratio where it was only 1 changeling, regardless of the amount of players.

That, and making sure that if updated the code, the map wouldnt break. Shit scared me. Lost work on a ministation I made that way.

(This is only part of the map. There's a research/science wing to the west.)
>>
>>342774721
Fuck yeah!

This shit would only work as a horror-adventure game.
>>
>>342775265
You realize the movie was all scripted shit, right?
>>
>>342774721
I would like a The Thing telltale game if it was one episode long and had a few different endings that are the immediate results of my choices.

400 days was great; short 1-2 hour scenarios that play out extremely different and have different endigns based on choices. No bullshitting about long-term consequences, but the choices are novel enough to interest me. I wish they just stuck to that format.
>>
>>342772153
Why did so many people hate the flood? They were such a great part of Halo and were a nice change of pace after fighting the covenant for so much of the games.
>>
>>342777051
Yes but the movie was a fucking movie not a videogame.
>>
>>342777051
and? The point of making a game is so I can play a fucking game. If I wanted to "play" a Telltale game I'd just rewatch the damn movies.
>>
>>342757273
There are custom maps in StarCraft 2 inspired in The Thing.
My favorite is "The Thing Revival", that map is fucking sick, good graphics and the controls are easy to learn. I really recommend it.
There is another, "The Thing Artic" >>342768043 (pic related) but I don't play it.
>>
There's absolutely no way they could make this into a vidya that even captures a tenth of what the movie does.

>>342757551
>hard life
Am I being baited? Hard life because his buddies didn't enjoy his movie? Nothing about his life has been tough since he was a 30 year old multi millionaire because of his 4th movie, Halloween. He gets praised as one of the most influential horror/scifi directors of all time now soley because of that when he has films that are way better than that. Congress stored it in the national film registry for its historical significance for fucksake.
>>
Honestly I wouldn't make a game at all, it works better as a movie.

Also I quite enjoyed the 2011 movie, bad cg aside it worked well as a prequel. Though calling it The Thing with no subtitle or number was confusing, I went into it thinking it was a remake. Get your fucking titles right Hollywood.
>>
>>342781013
Del Toro talked to Carpenter how great it was all those movies of his that flopped in the 80s and 90s have found their audiences, and his skill was being recongized.

Carpenter's response was "Great good that does me now"

If his movies did well back then, then he'd still be making movies now, with greater creative control. But a string of commercial flops (even though they're good) killed his chances of Hollywood bigwigs listening to him and letting him work without them telling him what to do.
>>
>>342783669
So he hasn't had a "hard life" but it sucks that he lost his chance at being the Del Toro of his time.
>>
>>342758329
Except the station'd have to be smaller, so it's harder to get someone alone.
>>
People are seeing this from the wrong perspective. People playing as humans against the thing is an unattainable goal. It doesn't really work well for single player, and it CAN'T be dependent on multiplayer to be a success.

However, a game where YOU play as the thing and the goal is to infect everyone is conceivable, and probably more fun.
>>
Would have to be a Telltale adventure game based around trust and keeping track of characters so they never leave your sight. Inevitably you'd suspect the wrong people an execute humans while the real Thing was Kenny the whole time.
>>
File: thing.gif (1018 KB, 500x244) Image search: [Google]
thing.gif
1018 KB, 500x244
>>342772153
>>342772621
I think the real crux of the question is: Which would win the direct infection/assimilation fight?
If they fucked, who'd become lunch?
Flood transformation seems a lot more violent- corpses are absorbed in a matter of seconds, the flesh re-arranged in convulsions.
But it seems a lot cruder- the Flood relies on its own in-built structures, like the sensory organs & whatever connects individuals to the hive-mind, to function, and it seems with the shared characteristics that THE HOST becomes FLOOD.
The Thing, on the other hand, is much more insidious. It can take over the host silently from within, or all at once like with the flood. And once it's taken control, it can either mimic the host perfectly- down to assimilating the knowledge housed in the host's brain & imitating their mannerisms PERFECTLY, OR, it could violently re-shape the host's body. In this, too, the Thing seems to have a greater amount of control, creating much more grotesque & complete transformations than most of what you see in the Flood. In effect, the Thing becomes the Host & the Host becomes the Thing simultaneously.

I think in a war between the Flood and the Thing, the Flood would soon find itself in a 'civil' war. One which it'd lose.
The flood, even the hivemind (ESPECIALLY the hivemind), would be assimilated.
>>
>>342784450
0 replay, the game
>>
>>342785754
>replay
Only poorfags with no backlog care about that.
>>
>>342757273
I would make it a dating sim and personify the thing as a kawaii anime girl that goes "kyaaa!" when you light a match around it
>>
>>342757831
Ya that game for its time was considered pretty alright.
>>
File: 1446143499678.jpg (8 KB, 412x314) Image search: [Google]
1446143499678.jpg
8 KB, 412x314
>>342772153
>>342777954
>still no survival horror spinoff of halo where you're a marine fighting off the flood during its initial discovery
>>
>>342774415
>>342774708
lmfao
>>
File: 1458096828420_1.jpg (160 KB, 1500x571) Image search: [Google]
1458096828420_1.jpg
160 KB, 1500x571
>>342785936
kys
>>
File: 1466471333128.png (329 KB, 414x479) Image search: [Google]
1466471333128.png
329 KB, 414x479
>tfw watching the episode of pingu that retells the story of the thing
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 718x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 718x355
This is some voodoo shit.
>>
File: 1454689162097.jpg (73 KB, 543x549) Image search: [Google]
1454689162097.jpg
73 KB, 543x549
>>342788184
>tfw when Childs and the other black guy didn't die first
>>
>>342788390
>getting turned isn't 'dieing'
Nice try
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 682x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 682x1024
>>342788596
>>
File: 1454251094109.gif (197 KB, 580x809) Image search: [Google]
1454251094109.gif
197 KB, 580x809
>>342788596
>getting turned
What the fuck does this mean?
>>
>>342785657
You overlook Pure Flood, and more importantly the existence of flood spores.

The real question is "Who would win in a 1v1 fight between a Thing cell and a Flood spore?"
>>
>>342757273

That game was fun as fuck though and was one of my first PS2 games.

The atmosphere was unnerving and that cutscene at the very beginning creeped me out the first time I saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TAo4Dxfn_k
>>
fuck gonna watch The Thing now. Thanks a lot guys
>>
the most interesting part of the Thing is you have no idea where it began and how many civilizations and galaxies it terrorized before landing on earth. A prequel would be fucking nuts. Too bad Hollywood isn't interested in doing anything ever
>>
>>342789230

Unless John Carpenter directs the prequel I don't think many people would care for it.
>>
>>342789230
I just don't know why it crashes into an icefield. Was it literally retarded?
>>
>>342787595
Better then the prequel.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw
>>
File: 1466541399404.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1466541399404.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
>Just got done watching The Thing fully for the first time
>It's fucking amazing
>Really wish I could see a movie based on the perspective of the Norwegian twam
>Turns out Thing 2011 IS the perspective of the Norwegian team
>Everyone calls it shit
>Really want to watch it but afraid of being disappointed

I-it can't be that bad, r-right?
>>
File: 1460514383685.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1460514383685.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>342789489
>crashlands, movie tells you this
>"why did it land in Antarctica?"
>>
>>342789773
>Could land literally anywhere
>Obviously steering vehicle
>Is shown making course corrections
>Picks the largest ice continent it can find
Confirmed for retarded alien.
>>
>>342789703
I would say its still worth a watch as it adds to the original.
>>
>>342789970
The alien crash landed, if you remember it was building a ship to leave earth and MacReady fucks it over by blowing it up with tnt.
>>
>>342789703
It's a good movie, I don't know why everyone says It's shit. My only real complaint is the decision to use cgi over practical effects as well as the scene towards the end where what's-her-face squanders the chance to actually talk to the alium.
>>
>>342790149
If you remember it crash landed 10K years ago because it was stupid and aimed for the ice continent intentionally because it was a retard. It could have landed in a city but it didn't because it was stupid. Even when crash landing you can still steer.
>>
>>342789489
And why do scientists have flamethrowers in a research station?
>>
>>342789703
I thought it was pretty good. Lots of people are just nostalgic about the original, which is understandable, however the 2011 version isn't bad or negates from the original. It just expands upon it.
>>
>>342790268
The movie was originally filmed with 100% practical effects but the suits told them that the effects would make seem too cheesy to the masses. Because of this they had went through nearly every scene and edited it to use cgi and look more "realistic".

Basically fuck higher ups.
>>
>>342790439
It crash landed 100,000 years ago, what city are you talking about?
>>
>>342790439
>crash landed 10,000 years ago purposely in Antarctica
Source? Not saying I don't believe you I honestly don't remember that detail.
>>
>>342790584
Christ, that just makes it so much worse.
Fuck suits.
>>
>>342789703
>Turns out Thing 2011 IS the perspective of the Norwegian team

Had no idea it was. Actually will watch it now
>>
>>342790746
>The Norwegians' records lead the Americans to a buried flying saucer that the station's geologist, Norris, hypothesizes is likely over 100,000 years old.
Wikipedia. It was speculation in the movie based on the depth of the ice cover.
>>
>>342790785
What's terrible is the masses hated it the movie anyway and horror fans were dissapointed by the lack of practical effects. Instead of just appealing to the actual fans they shot themselves in the foot and made it disliked by everyone.
>>
>>342789703
2011 Thing isn't terrible. It's just not as good as the original. You won't regret watching it, but you won't be jumping for joy either.
>>
>>342790445
They actually need that kind of equipment to melt ice off of the snowcat treads and stuff.
>>
>>342789703
My understanding is that it's to The Thing as Invisible War is to Deus Ex.

It's okay, but because it's attached to a fantastic work it seems worse by comparison.

>>342790445
Ice/snow clearing. Not joking. Plus, they used real flamethrowers for the most part and not props.
>>
>>342788896
I suspect 'Thing cell' is a misnomer.
I think the smallest functional unit of 'Thing' is something smaller- like a set of prions which build intra-cellular Thing structures without destroying the host cell.
Without a plot-based 'anti-prion' defense or what have you on the spore, the smallest parasite (the Thing) wins.
>>
File: uh-oh.png (6 KB, 1353x23) Image search: [Google]
uh-oh.png
6 KB, 1353x23
>>
>>342770753

I know that you feel that's right, but it's actually Childs who's infected, at least before the sequel comes out. I say that because Childs clothing changes between the scenes we see.
>>
File: head-thing.png (1 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
head-thing.png
1 MB, 1920x800
>>342792136
And again, 'pure flood' have archetypes, their own built-in structures. There's no established Thing structures, besides 'gooey fleshy shit'.
The Thing becomes whatever the host is, or melts it down into random crap.
Since the Flood IS *something*, since it has defined forms, the Thing can become it.
>>
>>342789703
It's actually okay. The Thing '11 had to follow in the footsteps of a cult hit with some of the best practical effects in cinema history. I've only watched it once recently but you could say it simply pales in comparison to its "older brother."

I like how it expands on some of the questions Carpenter's movie posed while adding some new ones.
>>
>>342789489
Some of the lore talks about the original ship was actually a completely different species, and it got infected by the Thing the same way both human teams got infected by it. The ship was damaged so it crashed into the Antarctic, then froze over.
>>
>>342791101
>100,000 years old
>crash landed 10,000 years ago purposely in Antarctica

I think you fucked up.
>>
>>342770753
You can shove an earring back in. Can't do the same with tooth fillings.

Personally, I'm partial to the 'Macready refilled his bottle with kerosene, and either Child's thing didn't pick up on it or the loaded smirks were a bit more than loaded' theory.
>>
>>342792636
Well I think that's obvious. The parasite doesn't have its own tech. It just hijacks more intelligent species.
>>
>>342772084
>>342773931
The thing doesn't actually infect you. It kills you and replaces you perfectly. The cells in Blair's simulation weren't being changed, they were just being destroyed by the thing's cells.

Similarly it seems to hold the corpses inside of it, the dog in the first and guy with the leg prosthesis in the second, digesting them as it in turn changes. There's nothing left of the original guy.
>>
File: Blair_-_Profile.jpg (271 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Blair_-_Profile.jpg
271 KB, 800x800
Been awhile and have been wondering.

Was Blair infected befor or after tje locked him in that house?
>>
>>342789970
See
>>342792636
Either they were fucked up and out of control, or the alium purposefully crashed itself into some backwater planet to prevent further spread.
>>
>>342776515
There is something to be said about a top-down twin-stick style Thing game but I'd be skeptical

The Thing is half mystery, half horror. Top-down gameplay might lend itself to mystery OK but you will never have any horror.

I'm actually most interested in >>342774721
Telltale doesn't do "action" very well but The Thing doesn't have really any action apart from using a flamethrower and keeping away from the Thing. Trying to figure out who is the Thing and making life-or-death decisions was the whole crux of that movie though, so it's a decent idea.
>>
>>342792480
The thing is, Pure Forms are just concentrated, highly mutable in your words "gooey fleshy shit" Flood biomass on a harder, possibly organic chassis of sorts with three common archetypes, a system which is used because they're a simple but effective combination.

Without further understanding of the smallest units of Flood biomass that retain the essential properties of Flood similar to how an atom is the smallest unit of an element that displays properties of that element and the same for the Thing, we can't know for sure.

But based on what I know, I agree that the Thing would win, as I'm pretty sure a cell is smaller than a spore, especially if that floating green shit in some levels is a Flood spore.
>>
>>342793626
Just a headsup, the spore isn't the smallest flood unit. Those are just the clumped spreading mechanism.

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/LF.Xx.3273_Flood_Super_Cell
>>
>>342793000
I think the 'digesting' method is just how it assimilates someone quickly.
And I wouldn't put too much stock on some 60's 'simulation' programmed by some random in-universe doctor.
That was kinda just exposition for really stupid audience members- anyone with half a braincell wouldn't need to program a dumb simulation to confirm 'hurr durr if it spreads we're fucked'.
>>
>>342765641
Normally I would agree with you, but The Thing could work really well as a multiplayer game.
>>
>>342789703
If you want to know about the Norwegian team and the prequel to the original, go for it.

But to me it only detracts from the original movie knowing exactly what happened in that base.

I object to the CGI as well (it's offensive, but no director now-a-days would do the practical work to even stand in the shadow of the old movie). I will say though that when an animator's job is "fuck it, animate the most grotesque body-horror you can imagine" you get some creative and interesting results. It still aged more in the last 5 years than the original has aged in 24 though.
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 620x320
>add a small chance in some MP format for there to be no thing
>people kill each other out of paranoia
>>
>>342793920

Well I mean it's what happens to the guy the doctor ends up using the defibrillator on, too. He's 'infected' by the thing at some point, but rather than secretly transitioning into the thing without his knowing he dies and the thing takes over his body. It's probably scarier for someone to not know if they're the thing or not, but it's not actually what happens.
>>
>>342793151
I'm pretty sure it was after, although I have no decent evidence of it.
The scene just felt like it was giving off the tone of "the group is scared and accidentally exiles an innocent man".
>>
File: the+thing+1[1].jpg (92 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
the+thing+1[1].jpg
92 KB, 1600x900
>>342793151
Before.

What I really want to know is when this fucker got infected. If it got infected before everyone was turning on McCready why would it imitate a heart attack and defuse the whole scene?
>>
>>342794032
I feel like that type of game has saturated the market lately

I'd love a single-player game more
>>
>>342793000
Yeah that's what I was saying, nothing left of the original. At first, Blair's projection confused me a bit as I thought the Thing was absorbing without replacing but thinking about it more, Blair couldn't have known so much about it to run a simulation of the Thing cell absorbing another then splitting off to simulate two Thing cells which is what it does normally: absorb someone, make a copy of the victim, revert back to how it looked before attacking the victim (if that particular disguise hasn't had its cover blown.) Then you got two Things that repeat the process until there's no one left.
>>
>>342794558

I always thought it was Palmer in the shot where the dog walks into the room and all you see is a shadow, but not the man. But it could have been Norris with Palmer getting infected later.
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 640x548) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 640x548
>>342757273
The perfect adaptation has already been made.
>>
>>342794558
My theory is that infection kills the host before the host is shortly taken over by the Thing and then revived as a Thing. It's like the stage between caterpillar and butterfly.
>>
>>342789230
my favorite part of it is you have no idea how doomed earth is by the end of the movie

best ambiguous ending ever
>>
File: image002.jpg (48 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
image002.jpg
48 KB, 576x432
>>342793626
>>342793873
Just so you guys follow what I mean here:
>>342792136
I think the Thing is something smaller than a cell- it's able to infiltrate them, like a super-virus, and build its Thing structures inside the cell without disrupting it, turning it into a 'Thing cell' without removing its normal structures & functions.
That's why it can take over without tissue destruction, without breaking down & entirely replacing the host like the Flood does with its FSC.
So, a FSC could concurrently be a 'Thing cell', just like all other cells.
>>
>>342794781
The wiki lists Palmer as the First Victim but I think it just leads to more ambiguity. Their basis is the silhouette is too thin in the neck to be Norris. I just watched it againwith the assumption Palmer is a Thing after the dog/silhouette scene but shortly after he's shown sharing a blunt with Childs. Childs could have been infected by the bit of saliva from the blunt, but the camera cuts before showing him putting it to his mouth. Plus he passes the blood test so if Palmer was a Thing, Childs must not have taken a hit even though he took the blunt from Palmer implying he was going to smoke it.
>>
>>342794498
If you remember he was ready to kill everyone as he realized the threat of the thing. Arguably he got what he wanted. While not entirely wrong I wouldn't say innocent describes him.
>>
File: 1445730615973.jpg (97 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1445730615973.jpg
97 KB, 640x640
>that one guy that gets shot by the crazy guy in the first five minutes
What was the fucking point?
>>
>>342757273
Personally, I liked it a lot.
Wasn't the greatest, but was really good for a game adaptation/sequel.
>>
>>342795434
So is the Thing is an "Apex Parasite", or is there a more capable parasite in fiction? I kind of want a Madara Uchiha copypasta for the Thing now.

>>342797273
To justify killing the guy who was shooting at the Dog-Thing and hinting that something was fucky with that dog.
>>
>>342794884
As someone who has never touched a finalfantasy: explain
>>
>>342798151
No idea what he is talking about, ff vii is definitely not like the thing.
>>
>>342783851
Why would anyone want to be the del toro of any time? That fat Mexican nerd is the biggest hack in modern cinema.

>make a handful of really good Spanish films
>go on to sell out and move to Hollywood to make literal garbage like Hellboy and Pacific Rim that retards on Internet forums worship
If I were him I'd rather preserve my artistic integrity than be praised by a bunch of redditers and members of the escapist forum.
>>
>>342792873
This was proven to be false if you read into the lore that John Carpenter wrote. It was an ambassador, and most lifeforms in the galaxy were like it. Earth was an anomaly.
>>
>>342798717
>read into the lore that John Carpenter wrote
Where can I read this?
>>
>>342757551
What I want to know is why all those retards didn't like the film when they dirty saw it. Like, it's not like some deep art film that requires re-examining. If anything it's best on the first viewing when you don't know what to expect.

Probably the best horror film of all time IMO. Not really that scary but top tier suspense.
>>
>>342798151

He's grasping. In FFVII there's an alien named Jenova, and a giant evil corporation puts Jenova cells into soldiers to make them super soldiers since it can take on traits of the host DNA and grant the powers of it's own.

Basically, every piece that gets separated out is still in connection to some degree to the original Jenova, wants to recombine with her, and she begins using them to try to take over the world.

Outside of Jenova being an alien parasite there's not much thematic similarities between the two.
>>
>>342757273
Prototype, but with smarter AI and snow
>>
>>342798792
http://pastebin.com/wWQUVWTM
>>
>>342799065
Carpenter did not write that. It's fan fiction.
>>
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 529x572) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 529x572
>There will never be a Trouble In Terrorist Town but without stupid retards everywhere
>>
>>342798792
>>342799065

Bad fan fiction and you're overlooking some context.

>I was an explorer, an ambassador, a missionary. I spread across the cosmos, met countless worlds, took communion

The next time it speaks of communion...

>And when I assimilated them in turn—when my biomass changed and flowed into shapes unfamiliar to local eyes—I took that communion in solitude

It's going from world to world assimilating shit.
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.