[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Undertale really THAT good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15
File: 001.png (18 KB, 760x280) Image search: [Google]
001.png
18 KB, 760x280
Is Undertale really THAT good?
>>
File: 1466834887067-v.jpg (107 KB, 1040x1055) Image search: [Google]
1466834887067-v.jpg
107 KB, 1040x1055
>>342707695
mfw this is the second under tale thread asking the exact same shit
>>
>>342707695
THAT good? no, but it was hilarious to see that guy saying OOT winning every time they do the contest was one of the reasons he got out of bed every morning.

overall I did like it, it was something quite original and the soundtrack was GOAT
>>
I would say that the pic is probably overkill but Undertale was pretty good.

It's really against the grain on /v/ though so a lot of people will just follow the hivemind rather than just say what games they like.
>>
>>342707695
At least OOT didn't win another fucking poll.
>>
>>342707695
>Is Undertale really THAT good?
yes.
>>
No, it was a FotM from last year that has had less than 10 threads made for it this year, dead game.
>>
>>342707695
it's not
it's an interesting indie game but it doesn't deserve all the praise it got, now it's just a cancerous fanbase forcing it everything like minecraft or five nights are freddies
>>
>>342707695
No

It's a nice little game that condenses all the good parts of RPGs into a 2 hour or so little game.

Sadly the mechanics are really shallow so there's no replay value. Every run is a novelty run, and the variations to the story for only killing a little aren't enough to encourage people to replay over and over.

Basically play all routes once, download the soundtrack, and be done with it.
>>
>mario RPG beating MGS3

Lmao nintendrones
>>
>>342707695
I thought it was good. Most people rave about the "the game remembers" stuff and "le humor" (including memes like tsundere plane).
I recently started to play more games that came out way before undertale that had similiar mechanics around the "the game remembers" mechanic and must say that undertale didnt even do it that good.
It is an okay game but not groundbreaking or the best game ever, althought that is entirely subjective.
>>
The tournament, which is a scientific process, confirms that it is.
>>
>good
That was a popularity poll, not a quality poll.

I still think Undertale is pretty good.
>>
Don't really care.

What matters is that the butthurt that win caused was just magical.
>>
>>342708423
>FotM
>constant threads for 6 months
>>
it's not THAT good but still fun game. at least better than Ocarina of Time for sure.
>>
>>342708661
So which games do the same permanent save thing? All I can think of is One Shot and that yandere thing.
>>
>>342708746
/thread
>>
it was great if you completely ignore the fanbase
>>
>>342707695
No.
>>
>>342707695
No.

Undertale was okay. I didn't hate it. But it absolutely does not deserve the sheer level of fellatio it receives from the press and on the internet.
>>
Undermeme will be forgotten in a few years if not just one
>>
File: 1452799717617.png (70 KB, 680x508) Image search: [Google]
1452799717617.png
70 KB, 680x508
>>342708830
the people who made these were pretty cool though, so I wouldn't say all of the fanbase was bad
>>
this reminds me, I should continue my play of Lisa, was letting those guys kill Terry for my stuff worth it? he was ugly and mad worthless in a fight
>>
>>342707695
No sadly most games in pic are better, still a great game
>>
File: 1466746473607.png (406 KB, 553x631) Image search: [Google]
1466746473607.png
406 KB, 553x631
Undertale fills in the gap that has grown into a chasm considering how much Nintendo refuses to rely on its Earthbound franchise.

It took advantage of its setup to great effect, only having to see sprites from either the overworld or in battle meant that the artists could focus on facial expressions and animation to a degree that other indie titles forgo in favor of using the graphical setup to better prop up the Gameplay. For an example of this, look at how Binding of Isaac / Supermeat Boy use gameplay oriented perspectives and artwork for most of the game but stick all of their story into short cutscenes. Undertale mixes the story and gameplay in ways that other games really haven't don't all that well.

The music is cute and the characters, due to the games setup as described above are given even more of a chance to shine then they would have in a different compositional setup.

Some parts of the game felt a little unfinished to me, Mostly the halfway mark of the game up to before the final Mettaton encounter where you are just kind of wandering around for thirty minutes. While the battle graphics are fairly consistent and well animated the overworld graphics in a few places are kind of ugly.

Its a great indie game, Zelda fans overhype OoT just as much as Undertale fans overhype their game.

The idea of a 'Greatest Game Ever' poll is silly, what is it supposed to mean-what is the average person voting for? What game has had the biggest personal effect on them? What game has had the biggest historical effect on the gaming industry? What game they think is the most fun?

These kind of polls remind me of those Death Battle videos, the only thing they really do is get fanboys angry and get 'dem page views.
>>
That looks like a list of games a person would only come up with if they thought the Gamecube and Dreamcast were good
>>
>>342707695
No, it's just a meme game that casual fringe gaymers latched onto.
>>
>>342709202
this, real gamers like me play games with good graphics and are hard like Dark Souls 3
>>
>>342708746
This.
I've never seen GameFAQS so anally ruptured solely because
>N-NOT MUH OOT!!!!1
>>
>>342709416
Underkiddie detected.
>>
>>342709543
GameFAQs is pretty pathetic in general

You weren't allowed to submit a review for Chrono Trigger that wasn't 9/10 or 10/10 for almost a decade, they finally relented a few years ago and let a 6/10 review slide
>>
>>342709593
I just said I'm a dark souls fan
>>
It's a neat little indie title with some good humour/writing, fairly unique gameplay and a great OST. Good for a couple of playthroughs, but in the end it's a fairly short and shallow.

It's the kind of thing that would be a beloved cult classic, like Earthbound, the game it's heavily inspired by. However for some reason it's amassed this huge fanbase that's blown it out of proportion and made it a mainstream success. /v/ loved it for the first couple of weeks until Reddit and Tumblr got their claws into it.
>>
>>342707695
This list is so fucking shit.

Where the fuck is Joust? Gran Turismo? Deus Ex? Doom?

Best games ever my ass.
>>
>>342710271
GameFAQs is a Nintendo site.
>>
>>342710318
Nintendo doesn't make the best games.

I don't even see Virtua Fighter 2, Shenmue, Outrun, Super Hang-on, or Super Monkey Ball on there.
>>
File: wn2OG.jpg (37 KB, 360x604) Image search: [Google]
wn2OG.jpg
37 KB, 360x604
GameFAQs is run by a literal tranny. It claims no "cheating" took place. I think around 300+ users actually closed their accounts when a Mario game didn't win last year. Admin admitted that it won't do another BGE contest again.
>>
>>342710557
Imagine running one of the biggest gaming sites in the world, and having zero social benefit from it. Literally no one cares who the admin of GameFAQs is. Dropping the sites name would be of zero benefit.
>>
>>342710413
for good reason, what shit taste

Shenmue is alright though
>>
It was a good PoC demo
>>
File: 1451519473462.jpg (218 KB, 1577x548) Image search: [Google]
1451519473462.jpg
218 KB, 1577x548
Finally, a culturally relevant video game.
>>
It was rigged by tumbler too
>>
>>342711305
>Asgore and Chara the only white ones

10/10
>>
>>342707695
i've never played it, but im sure it is awful
>>
>>342707695
if you can get over the gameplay: yes, probably, I don't know because I couldn't but it seems like it really could be very good, if only it weren't, you know, bad.
>>
>>342707695
no it's already slipping into irrelevance, in a year or two it will barely be remembered
>>
>>342707695
Nope. People just salty their game lost so they all gang up to vote against the most popular one by propelling a shitty game like Undertale to make everyone else salty.

Kinda like the time when the Line Piece from tetris was voted the best vidya character ever....
>>
>>342711305
> aroflux
> lithoromantic

Can anyone translate tumblrese?
>>
>>342707695
The problem with a tournament like this is that if it's between A and B and the voter liked A, but hasn't played B, they'll vote A even if they'd prefer B if they had played it.
It's unfairly biased towards popular or trending games.

Never played Super Mario 64, it looks like a fun game, but it didn't stand a fair chance against a highly successful game in its prime.

And something that's amazingly good yet obscure wouldn't even get past the first round if pitted against the worst game of a moderately popular franchise.
>>
>>342714873
Aroflux is someone who’s romantic orientation fluctuates, but always stays on the aro spectrum (ex. one day you’re demiro, the next day lithro, the next day aro, etc)

Lithoromantic feels romantic attraction towards others, but who does not desire reciprocation of that attraction or does not wish to enter a romantic relationship.
>>
>>342707695
Underwhat? You mean that game nobody talked about ever again after two months?
>>
>>342715778
Someone who cuck others and a literal cuck.
Got it.
>>
File: 1451294826643.png (82 KB, 482x349) Image search: [Google]
1451294826643.png
82 KB, 482x349
>>342707695
not really. it's got its game design flaws, and can even sound a bit preachy at times.

still a solid 9/10, but this poll was rigged from the start. ocarina of time is just too historically significant to be topped.
>>
File: 1449785180794.png (711 KB, 1012x1088) Image search: [Google]
1449785180794.png
711 KB, 1012x1088
>>342707695
Undertale is at best a "decent" game.

The story itself is very straightforward, and the inclusion of themes doesn't automatically make something deep. Literally every story has driving themes and ideas behind it, and the presentation is what makes or breaks it. Undertale goes out of it's way to lay out two options for you: Are you going to be a heartless monster and kill all the nice creatures of this world, or are you going to be super nice and love everyone and live in peace. There's no moral grey area, no ambiguity, no pragmatism. The entire conflict centers around an angry child throwing a large scale temper tantrum because he wants to play with his friend. In theory the idea could be cool, but instead of making the character interesting and sympathetic, they just go for some cliched sob story with no thought put into it and the most tumblr tier furry bff I've ever seen.

The characters themselves aren't that good, they're all just exaggerated caricatures of "nerdy" traits, and they get downright insufferable at time. "HAHAHAHAHA he's the autistic skeleton with a heart of gold! HAHAHAHA he makes corny jokes but is really a badass powerhouse! HAHAHAHA she pretends to hate you but she's really like a big sister! HAHAHAHA us anime nerds!" The game is extremely on rails, and the choices don't matter beyond "Do you want to be a sack of shit or the savior of their world?" It's extremely black and white with no depth, and my claim is validated by the fact that you have to go completely in one direction or the other to get either of the real endings. Don't pretend this is Crono Trigger where the plot can play out one of a dozen ways and choices actually matter, the only choice that matters is "Am I doing pacifist or genocide mode?".
>>
>>342707695
every game on that list is mediocre to shit, with maybe sm64 as an exception for its comfy atmosphere and quality movement mechanics
>>
File: 1449784590503.png (202 KB, 360x690) Image search: [Google]
1449784590503.png
202 KB, 360x690
>>342716262
The themes themselves are pretty shallow. The entire game is basically "Hey, people have insecurities but that's ok! We have them too! We can all be dorky friends together!" I honestly can't see the appeal if you're not an angsty teenager who's still going through their identity crisis years (this is why the game earned the nickname tumblrtale). On top of that, the 4th wall shit isn't funny. When I walk into a town and the shopkeeper makes a comment about not buying my trash, I chuckled. When the innkeeper next door says "You only slept for 2 minutes lol" it gets grating. You can't just drive every joke into the ground like that. Overall, I think the playerbase is actually retarded because of how many complain that the game "tricks" you into killing your Toriel, because one of the frogs that explains game mechanics literally tells you to spam mercy even if you think it's not working.
>>
File: 1449796279452.gif (1 MB, 500x691) Image search: [Google]
1449796279452.gif
1 MB, 500x691
>>342716313
Speaking of gameplay, this is the one area the game could make up for the weak story and characters, and people praise it so you'd expect it to be pretty good, right? Wrong. The bullet hell stuff is fun for about 45 seconds, then anyone who's actually played a bullet hell game would get bored out of their skull. The first area is pretty cool and has some nice atmosphere, but once the first big "twist" is revealed and you enter the real world, the atmosphere fades fast. By the time you get to the magma place, the level design is garbage and a complete slog to get through. Puzzles are boring and aimed at actual retards, and what's worse is during the magma place you have to do a little tile moving puzzle to open a lock. The puzzle idea is pretty cool and I was excited to see the more difficult ones after I'd done the first two "let's show you the ropes" puzzles, but the fun one's never came. The game constantly teases good ideas, then just betrays expectations. "Oh what's this, the last boss destroyed my mercy button to show that this fight is kill or be killed and did it by playing off a game mechanic? That's pretty cool! Oh wait, the last boss looks like a rejected witch form Madoka and now the game is going full meta mode by saving and reloading my game." The game has no restraint or nuance to it, it's like a child trying to bake a cake and deciding that the cake should be 100% made of frosting.

The soundtrack is really good though, I'll give you that.
>>
>>342715864
99% of its discussion was artificial
the same lifeless retards posting the same threads and replies reworded over and over

>>342716262
>>342716313
>>342716372
case in point, the infamous "decent" meme where they utilize the absurd hype behind it to downplay it into a height it can't even reach

It's one of the worst games I've ever played, and don't think I'm new to this medium.
>>
>>342709132
Splitting into personal effect, historical effect and most fun seems to be a good way to go.

Quake wins the historical effect category I think, it defined just about everything consistent in the multiplayer FPS genre.
The control scheme, killcount deathmatch, pickups, and some of the netcode too.

Biggest personal effect for me was Undertale.

Most fun is a tough call, since different games have different decay rates for how fun they are, and what they require to be fun.
Portal 2 is extremely fun for a 10-hour solo initial playthrough, Magicka is just as fun for 2-player (a lot less fun with 1) and has a bit more replayability, Ring Runner is rather fun even if you're been playing against the AI for a hundred hours, Avernum 3 has a rather fun 60-hour playthrough and lots of sidequests, etc.
>>
>>342716372
Sounds a lot like why Superhot was so goddamn boring.

Like, fuck, I've played Earthbound and MGS2. And OFF. Give it a rest with the "oohhh you're playing a VIDEO GAME" shit.
>>
>>342716372
>The soundtrack is really good though, I'll give you that.
Sampling SNES games does not automatically make a soundtrack good. And it samples a disturbing amount, it's borderline plagarism without a shred of originality.
>>
>>342707695
Everybody voted memetale as a joke
>>
>>342716735
it's the last meme they can cling to because music is the most subjective element
the rest of it has been so thoroughly ripped apart they can't ignore it
>>
That poll was done right at the height of Undertale's popularity and people were memeing hard.
>>
>>342711305
why is this shitty au full of niggers
>>
>>342716735
Not to mention it's soundtrack literally consists of remixes of 8-9 tracks. There's nothing wrong with leitmotif, but fucking christ there is something wrong if every song in the game is a leitmotif.
>>
>do a "greatest game ever" poll
>on a site where the userbase is at least 90% millennials who haven't played anything older than about 2008

This wasn't biased at all, no.
>>
>undertale better than melee

Wat
>>
>>342708918
>invoke uh oh hour
Fucking dead
>>
>/v/ rigs poll
>every one here laughs at the rest of the internet
>other places rig poll
>/v/ cries and says its unfair

neo/v/ is honestly disgusting
>>
I believe it is VERY revolutionary ;)

https://youtu.be/VPDJ6W1CFcw
>>
>>342718573
sure it's revolutionary, but that doesn't make the game good.
>>
>>342718573
>he took the easiest bait he could to make himself look cool on the cool guy's website

How's it going, Leafy?
>>
>>342718158
>Old group does X
>Other group does X
>New people in old group don't like X.
What a stupid thing to post.
>"Wow, you guys are hypocrites but also are not oldfags so not only am I holding you accountable for past actions but condemning you for not being oldfags."
Retard
>>
>>342707695
as someone who can't play a singleplayer game for more than a few moments because of multiplayer syndrome, i played through all of undertale that says a lot
>>
File: 1456434294531.png (223 KB, 1004x365) Image search: [Google]
1456434294531.png
223 KB, 1004x365
>>342711305
it will never end
>>
File: eracarghaga4er.jpg (121 KB, 758x690) Image search: [Google]
eracarghaga4er.jpg
121 KB, 758x690
>>342716735
(yuo)
>>
>>342708134
You got a screenshot or a link?
>>
>>342708904
This

although it will be remembered again in about 15
probably held in the same regard as Earthbound desu
>>
Undertale is really really good from a design perspective. It is extremely holistic. Everything feeds into everything else instead of being divided into different modes.
>>
>>342708904
>it will be forgotten in a month
>it will be forgotten in 2 months
>it will be forgotten 6 months from now
>nobody will remember it next iyear
>it will be forgotten in a few years

way to move goal posts asshole
>>
>>342716735
>Sampling SNES games does not automatically make a soundtrack good.
>it's borderline plagarism without a shred of originality.
Praise this fucking anon.

People will rush to defend its soundtrack then wont have an answer when "A song that might play when you fight sans" gets brought up.

But they'll say "hurr it wasnt in da gaem", like that matters when it was made at the same time as all those other "pieces" they love.
>>
File: 1456473925873.jpg (26 KB, 274x321) Image search: [Google]
1456473925873.jpg
26 KB, 274x321
Shitty game for shitty people.

It was made by homostuck fans for fucks sake.
>>
File: wacky-saggy.jpg (28 KB, 360x225) Image search: [Google]
wacky-saggy.jpg
28 KB, 360x225
>>342707695
It's alright. Decent story, shit humor, refreshing gameplay, amazing music and ugly ass graphics is all I can say.

I voted undertale because I wanted to taste the tears of grown ass men who worship their video games of old and avoid seeing OoT win another shitty popular vote poll.
>>
>>342707695
the thing about these gay polls is how many people voting have actually played every game on it?
>>
>>342707695
You ahve to understand we RARELY ever get a game that actually USES GAMEPLAY for something other than a mindless distraction.

I thoguth video games were about interaction, but only a handful of games are actually creative about it.
>>
File: 1449242225001.png (235 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449242225001.png
235 KB, 500x500
tumblr humor, tumblr character design, plagiarized music

>le spaghetti spooky skeleton lol
>>
wow why am I not surprised that OoT beat SMRPG? Even though SMRPG is better.
>>
>>342707695
Dude, Gamefags is seriously more autistic than /v/. Their opinions do not matter.
>>
>>342715778
I like how they add it to the scale so its an excuse to live such a toxic way and make it seem it's ok.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.