[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to play metal slug? Emulate, buy on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: Metal_Slug_(cover).jpg (35 KB, 316x316) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Slug_(cover).jpg
35 KB, 316x316
What's the best way to play metal slug?
Emulate, buy on steam, etc
>>
File: Metal Slug 4.jpg (709 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Metal Slug 4.jpg
709 KB, 1200x1200
The games on steam work fine but if you want the best arcade experience i think you should emulate them through Fightcade and play them with an Arcade Stick
>>
File: 1413050636418.png (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1413050636418.png
21 KB, 400x400
>>342705620
Arcade emulation, and PSP emulation for 7 (XX).
>>
>>342705620
Emulate

Steam versions have input delay, so does the PS2/Wii/PC version

Get Final Burn Alpha and emulate the fuck out of them, you can override hardware slowdown (specially useful) by overclocking the emulated CPU on final burn alpha

The best way to emulate/play MS6 is by emulating it on demul, if that doesn't go well with you then stick to PS2

And lastly to emulate MSlugXX which is a remake of 7 go for PPSSPP, but you can have a better experience by playing the original on 360/PS3
>>
>>342705620
depends on your needs, if you want to support SNK so they can continue making games buy it on whatever platform you desire. If you don't wish to buy it, emulate on your PC or desired platform

On another, I've been curious as of late about what the original creators of Metal Slug are doing now and if there was any unfinished business they had planned after they finished 3. It'd be nice to see them return and give this series some closure but that's probably a little optimistic considering we don't even know who they are or if they still make video games.

http://gaminghell.co.uk/NazcaStaff.html
>>
>>342705620
Get MAME if you want the most accurate emulation.

If you can't stand the slowdown then you can also get the cheats to overclock the CPU up to 200%, getting rid of absolutely any kind of lag.
>>
>>342706285

After SNK went bankrupt they fled to different companies

2 of them at platinum games, another guy went to make granzella games, and the music composer went into obscurity, his only recent work has to do with 30 minute hero
>>
Thanks everybody!
Today I get to relive my childhood
>>
>>342705620
Emulate the arcade version.
>>
>>342706876
>2 of them at platinum games
You're referring to Atsushi Inaba and some other person. Who?
>Granzella
Kazuma Kujo is working on his new Disaster Report game.
>composer went into obscurity
Takushi Hiyamuta seems to have formed his own sound company and plays in a band now.

Akio (people tend to confuse him for another Akio who works at Capcom), Susumu, and Meeher seem to have vanished
>>
>>342707642
A.Kurooka, worked on the Korra game

Have not heard about Kujo in a while, that poor thing, it's a wonder Inaba didn't quit gaming after his shit experiences with SNK though

And yeah, everyone vanished without trace
>>
File: kyo gets into advertising.jpg (162 KB, 780x1014) Image search: [Google]
kyo gets into advertising.jpg
162 KB, 780x1014
Buy a cabinet with a working rom cart.
What, you're not a WEENIE are you?
ARE YOU?!
>>
>>342707850
I'm seriously off put with hardware slowdown after trying the overclocked processor versions

There's a patch to fix that in MS2 cart but fuck that
>>
Why would anyone play MS2 over MSX?
>>
Off topic but I just tried the 3D metal slug and I want to vomit

Funny how the game was japan only but has the menu/dialogue in full english
>>
>>342707838
>>342707642
I don't know why inaba's supposedly buttmad about SNK.
As far as credits go, he only worked on one game and he never said that he fucking hated it, just that he didn't like it and didn't care about them (protip: there's a lot of people like this).
Given how Inaba likes control a lot, he probably just hated being stuck in a programmer role (and he didn't do a fucking good job of it either, seeing as how SS1 kinda sucks).
>>
File: slug2fix_1.png (185 KB, 640x672) Image search: [Google]
slug2fix_1.png
185 KB, 640x672
>>342708072

>Opinions have long been divided on this, but while Metal Slug X is a revised, recoloured, extended and rearranged version of Metal Slug 2, I’m one of those people who just felt that Metal Slug 2 held together better as a game. I prefer the times of day (changed in X) and I prefer the boss ordering and I prefer the level of detail. For example in the below picture, the sand in the background of stage 1 is actually animated in MS2 but static in MSX. Metal Slug 2 is on the left.
>>
>>342707991
MS2 naturally has slowdown (and sucks for it).
The other games don't. There are also times where the game slows down intentionally (during certain cutscenes) for dramatic effect.
>>
>>342708161
Supposedly SS1 was a learning experience to everyone involved in it, and made from ex Capcom people who worked on SF2, so that would make it their first experience with said hardware

Aka, a shitfest and programming nightmare
>>
>>342707850
>>342707850
>last senstence is a statement and note a question

what?
>>
>>342708180
Who are you quoting, assuming that was intentional?
>>
>>342707838
Ah, thanks.
>it's a wonder Inaba didn't quit gaming after his shit experiences with SNK though
It seems vague, maybe they wouldn't let him pitch anything and he was a grunt? Seeing where he is now looks he got over it. There does seem to be a few differences with his workography here, here, and here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsushi_Inaba
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,79033/
http://platinumgames.wikia.com/wiki/Atsushi_Inaba

It was nice discussing this with you.
>>
>>342708260
Gee no fucking wonder. SF2 vanilla blew as well.
We all played it because it was popular, but going back, you can see how fucking janky it is.
I'm talking strictly about vanilla here though. Not any of the revisions or ports.
>>
>>342708298

http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442

The site where a guy figured out why MS2 has hardware slowdown and made a patch to fix it on real hardware, 100% agree on his opinion, I used to 1 CC MS2 back in the day before X came out
>>
File: hellup.gif (1 MB, 480x330) Image search: [Google]
hellup.gif
1 MB, 480x330
>>342708180
Also, Metal Slug X is alot harder then Metal Slug 2. The enemy placement gets especially dickish when you reach the city and alot of aliens are trying to kill you.
>>
>>342705620
the steam version is hot garbage, it runs poorly, desyncs on online play, no audio controls ingame.
emulate it, don't buy it on steam.
if you can, play on a xbox 360, that's where i've found the most superior version, that still is viable.
>>
>>342708072
>>342708180
Jumping between 2 and X is nice when you want to mix the game up a bit.
>>
Which game introduced fat mode?
>>
>>342708586
It also introduced diet, 3 perfected fat mode making it an upgrade instead of a downgrade
>>
>>342708586
WHOOOOA BIG
>>
>>342708313
Inaba seems like more of a creator than a programmer.
He didn't say shit about hudson either, for better or worse, but that's despite him working there before capcom as well.
So, yeah, what the fuck man.

Also,
>GS: Yeah, it really does seem to me like a light bulb just switched on, and Capcom said ‘oh yeah, let’s make really good games again!’
>AI: (laughs) Yeah, I think that switch may go up and down a bit!
Guess that switch went off again, or just flickering while dim, since the only quality thing they make now is Monster Hunter.
>>
File: FEAR.jpg (89 KB, 374x479) Image search: [Google]
FEAR.jpg
89 KB, 374x479
>>342708692
>yfw the monster hunter guy didn't want his shit in MvC3 because fuck other franchises
>>
>>342708403
>However one thing he did spot was the 30 fps lock code was causing extra frames to be dropped. If the game was missing one frame it would miss two. If it would miss three it would instead miss four.
JESUS CHRIST
>With this fixed the game still slows down as often as it used to and in the same places, but the actual delay between frames is reduced by 1 across all speeds. To improve things more would mean actually rewriting chunks of code as apparently there are many slow functions in there and the reason MSX is so much faster is because they’d actually re-written the engine rather than just fixing MS2, which was based on the original Metal Slug code.
Interesting. That explains a lot. I knew that MSX was based on MS3, but I didn't know that 2 was still using code directly from MS1.
>>
>>342708820
He's such a fucking faggot when it comes to crossovers. So much potential, yet his whiny ass throws a bitch fit every single time.
OH BUT SMASH IS PERFECTLY FINE THOUGH.
>>
>>342708180
That would be ok if MS2 didn't have those fucking terrible slowdowns, main reason why everyone prefer X.
>>
>>342709247
Even if it didn't have the slowdown. I prefer X's rearranged music, extra boss, new color palletes, engine and ending.
>>
I want the extra content of the original CD ports. Steam releases always disappoint me.
>>
>>342709726
Battle School right?
>>
>>342709754
Exactly. And those modes from the 360.
>>
>>342709804
I guess that's problem with "perfect arcade" ports, they never include bonus material home releases have.

I am looking at you Darkstalkers Resurrection.
>>
>>342709804
>tfw will never play as rebel soldier mode
FUUUUG
>>
>>342709804
360 doesn't have any extra game modes. The original Xbox had them.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (207 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
207 KB, 1920x1080
If anyone wants their fix for more MSLUG that isn't MSLUG then try Demon Front
>>
File: kb_13.jpg (216 KB, 512x376) Image search: [Google]
kb_13.jpg
216 KB, 512x376
>>342710669
Or also Kraut Buster, a game being released for pure nostalgia purposes on original MVS hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzAGkLOJ-No
>>
>>342710827
Poor germans
>>
>I can perfectly beat Metal Slug 1 and 2 with just one coin in arcade
>die like a nigger in Africa when playing at home in my Wii Metal Slug Collection

Why? The game is the same... Is the fucking control pad?
>>
>>342713713
input lag
>>
>>342713713
Anthology has a ton of input lag.
I just play them on fightcade these days.
>>
>getting to the exploding barrel behind switch-locked door in MS1
>manage to blow it up before the door falls for the first time
>with the pea-shooter not less
Feels good man.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.