[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fun arcade games goodbye
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: 1481828452206.jpg (237 KB, 1262x720) Image search: [Google]
1481828452206.jpg
237 KB, 1262x720
get used to your cinematic experiences
>>
>>342690359
>muh arcade fun
Go back to your indie kikestarter pixel shit if you want 'arcade fun', or, as the rest of us call it, no-effort derivative pap that some hipster nu-male shat out in Game Maker. You might not be able to appreciate this, but mature gamers prefer the more nuanced gameplay and emotional depth that polished AAA titles can provide.
>>
>>342690664
>Go back to your indie kikestarter pixel shit if you want 'arcade fun'

They are just as bad as the cinematic experiences sony is providing us

>>342690664
>mature gamers

Go back to r.eddit
>>
>HOW DARE A MEDIUM TO EVOLVE
>I WANT TO PEW PEW LASERS
>MOOOOM WHERES TENDIES
>>
File: evolve.jpg (25 KB, 582x386) Image search: [Google]
evolve.jpg
25 KB, 582x386
>>342691884
>EVOLVE
>>
>>342690359
thats why i dont play most of them.

im replaying IWD now, I somehow suck more at this than 10 years ago but have lots of fun.
after Im gonna give a proper go with Pillars of Eternity.
Vote with your wallet, if devs notice drop in income due to people not buying 'cinematic' exp than we will see more games that focus on gameplay rather than lookin good and cinema like.
>>
>>342693208
As a steam cuck you are always going to play either cinematic shit or indie scams

You should play older video games and stop making this kind of retard comment
>>
I like action games with well-animated cutscenes.
>>
File: easth.gif (122 KB, 497x383) Image search: [Google]
easth.gif
122 KB, 497x383
>>342693617
>implying I cant pick and choose good games
You know owning a PC dont make you sign contract with blood?
you propably dont know it, since sony makes you do it.
>You should play older video games and stop making this kind of retard comment
IWD ICEWIND DALE published in 2000
You are retarded(and <16y) and now we have a proof.
>>
>>342694145
Sorry anon
>>
I'd say the problem is that theatrical experiences are amazing, but they end up getting confused with cinematic experiences.

In my book a theatrical experience is a rather generic description: something which employs techniques to become more impressive as an experience; while a cinematic experience is like watching a movie.

Despite all its flaws, it can't be denied that Undertale was pulling off good theatrics.
For example, the fight with Asgore:
>before the fight, the backdrop is the barrier, which gives a sense of magic as graphically it is different to everything the player has seen before
>in the opening scene to the fight, the game mimicks more classical games of its kind with pure and simple chiptune music, a textual description of the scene, and unmoving B&W graphics
>up until this point, Asgore is kind, but now the music stops and he whips out a giant red trident, destroying the player's "MERCY" button
>colours and animation suddenly appear in contrast to the imitation of a retro game, and a partially-chiptune partially-natural song based off of the previous tune starts
>in some cases after the fight that lead to fourth-wall breas, the game will pretend to crash

While it is still just a simply programmed, simply drawn game, these kinds of simple but creative techniques allow it to deliver comparable impact to games that take huge teams to make.

tl;dr: It's not about looking like a movie, it's about employing creative audio and visual techniques like old theatres did and still do.
>>
File: 45346346.png (42 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
45346346.png
42 KB, 500x501
>>342690664
>>
File: TS3 Mansion.webm (1 MB, 1280x736) Image search: [Google]
TS3 Mansion.webm
1 MB, 1280x736
>>342690359
Why cant we have games with good gameplay and cutscenes anymore?
>>
>>342695508
more
>>
File: TS2 Siberia.webm (3 MB, 640x352) Image search: [Google]
TS2 Siberia.webm
3 MB, 640x352
>>342695612
All i have
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.