[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly makes this so good? Is it still worth playing in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118 KB, 700x640) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118 KB, 700x640
What exactly makes this so good? Is it still worth playing in 2016 as an rpg fan?
>>
Absolutely. Just play it.
>>
>>342686548
Yes, Zeal is worth it.
>>
>>342686548

the music alone is worth it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJpp-Uj3c64
>>
>>342686548
It's more a case of being a standout example of JRPG conventions rather than doing anything truly unique. Lots of memorable moments and characters, doesn't waste your time, all-around satisfying experience.
>>
>>342686548
Yeah snes had a shit ton of classic jrpgs and that is one of them. I personally preffer the DS translation but that's up to you. Its super easy but what jrpg isn't? Just a well made and tight game.
>>
>>342686548
>What exactly makes this so good?

The characters, story and tight gameplay.
>>
>>342686548
Marketing.
>Is it still worth playing in 2016 as an rpg fan?
Well, you're certainly not missing much in terms of story or gameplay (the gameplay is boring as fuck, there's no strategic depth or challenge or anything good at all). But it's such a popular game that as a "rpg fan" you might want to play it for yourself to form your own opinion.
>>
Solid gameplay and no bullshit filler quests/objectives, main or side.. You constantly feel progression.No real glaring flaws. Worth a try.
>>
File: 100712dq40-thumb-499x355-15122.jpg (57 KB, 499x355) Image search: [Google]
100712dq40-thumb-499x355-15122.jpg
57 KB, 499x355
Did you rike it?
>>
>>342686548
why not?
>>
>>342686548
I emulated it in 2001ish and didn't like it. I played through the whole thing and then new game + and got a different ending.
Battles are boring. That's about it.
>>
>>342686548
It's just generally good in almost all respects.
>>
>>342686548
Crono is a perfect storm of important industry figures. It had amazing pixel art and animation, which even now is better than 99% of the garbage that comes out.

It featured a unique and riveting story, with concepts never seen in the medium. The music is among the best ever made. Replayability is boundless, between multiple endings, secret bosses, and easter eggs.

Seriously. Look at all the people involved in development. Most of them went on to make entire franchises, or were pivotal to the development of other franchises/companies.
>>
it's basically a blizzard game
it combined most of the good parts everyone else had already made up into one package, and made it palatable to a lot of people
>Is it still worth playing in 2016 as an rpg fan?
only as a history lesson, it's interesting to see it when compared to other things of the year, but you're not missing out on anything special
>>
>>342688127
>>342691075
Found the teenagers.
>>
>>342691438
Found the old man.
Back to >>>/vr/ with you.
>>
>>342691438
if anything teenagers would have played the DS game and have nostalgia for it considering the DS cart sold more than the SNES version
>>
>>342691438
It's completely average, it's mediocre. You can have heavy rose tinted nostalgia goggles for it, but it doesn't have fun battles like FF3/SMRPG or the cute setting like Earthbound.
A game should be fun, and Chrono Trigger isn't. Music doesn't make a game good, graphics don't make a game good, gameplay makes a game good and what little CT has is shallow.
>>
>>342691679
wait hold up nigga are you trying to say FF3 combat is better than chrono trigger?
>>
>>342691679
People only praise it so hard the same way people praise Pokemon so hard. It was their first RPG so it had a bigger impact. They didn't get to play Dragon Warrior Monsters and see how fun raising monsters could be.
>>
>>342691824
Yes. Combined techs look cool the first time and that's it. I'd rather replay FF1 or FF3 than CT
>>
>Chrono Niggers will never ever get an awesome mod like Brave New World for FFVI
>>
>>342691679
I agree with your reasoning, but not your choice of example games. FF3 might be marginally better or worse than Chrono Trigger, but it large suffers from the same flaws. A better alternative would be Phantasy Star IV, or better yet something like Der Langrisser which remains among the best in its genre.
>>
Jesus, neo-/v/ really has turned into reddit hipsters.
>>
>>342686548
It does basically everything right and almost nothing wrong.

It took 20 fucking years for the rest of the genre to adopt some basic QoL changes that this game made like no random battles or battle and exploration happening on the same screen.
It also invented NG+, includes time travel mechanics such as possessing the same item twice by picking it up at different points in the item's personal timeline, and gives a reason for ATB to exist with the double and triple techs
The production values are also great. It looks and sounds spectacular considering the hardware it played on.
>>
>>342686548
>edgy Gohan clone
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>342693136
>I dont like it when threads about a game are conflicted
I wouldnt have it any other way
>>
>>342686548
why are they all mifgets
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.