[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a stigma around using a walkthrough if you get stuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: gamefaqs.png (49 KB, 961x559) Image search: [Google]
gamefaqs.png
49 KB, 961x559
Is there a stigma around using a walkthrough if you get stuck in a game?

Are you the type of person to resort to a walkthrough quickly upon getting stuck, or do you have to go around not progressing for hours before you'll use one?
>>
The only excuse for using a walkthrough is if you're playing a game with absolutely awful timing conditions/location specifications that can lock you out of multiple sidequests at once, like one of the Tales games.
>>
>Old enough to remember the 900 numbers you could call for game "advice" back in the day
Wew
>>
>>342653402

>game with absolutely no way to determine what the fuck is going on
>no stat indicators
>different langugae
>completely lost for hours
>tried everything
acceptable to look up how to get out of your current situation, though I would still try to fix it. Otherwise you may give up and not try again.
>>
No. Who gives a fuck how you play a videogame.
>>
>>342653649

>one of

yeah right, damn near all of them have tons of artes and costumes that are time-specific
>>
Dragon Quest the only time I do, mainly for the hidden medals and shards for 7.
>>
>>342653402
i was the one who read walkthroughs for fun

like those timesink games like Harvest Moon and even GTA were just a goldmine for me even when I got burnt out on the actual game itself
>>
>>342653756

I remember my mother called one for something while we were playing DKC3. I almost forgot about them.
>>
>>342653402
No, no stigma. We're way past walkthroughs with today's internet usage and a simple google search is enough to get you through whatever problem you have.
>>
Depends on the game. If its a game where the only thing preventing me from progressing is busywork (eg I can't figure out the right answer in this visual novel so I'm going to brute force it) then I'll look it up to save time.
>>
I think that search whenever you are lost ends up killing the amusment.
I only search up when I want to achieve a trophy.
I have even quit games for this, like Zelda Links awakening, and I was in the last temple
>>
>>342653402
It's only really lame if you go straight to a walkthrough without even trying to play a game fresh
>>
There's a lot of contributing factors but generally speaking, yes. If you're playing a point-and-click adventure and simply follow instructions from a guide, you're barely even playing the game. Or if you're playing a puzzle game and follow a guide for the solutions, etc. However, guides are useful for explaining game mechanics and it can be useful to check a guide once you're done your first playthrough to discover stuff you missed.
>>
>>342655695
The question is whether it's a problem to use one if you get stuck and can't progress.
>>
>>342656282
Oh, my mistake. If you're really stuck and can't figure it out, I'd say it's OK to look it up or ask for advice on /v/, but if you haven't really made an attempt then it's a problem. Though it actually isn't a "problem" either way, people are free to be as casual as they like as long as they don't post on /v/.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.