[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/ Found a working Sega Game Gear at a neighbor garage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1466794300638.jpg (30 KB, 691x922) Image search: [Google]
1466794300638.jpg
30 KB, 691x922
Hey /v/
Found a working Sega Game Gear at a neighbor garage sale
>Never owned anything Sega before
Was it the Vita of its time?
I know how it faled because
You know
Nintendo
>>
Doesnt help that its the size of a phonebook
>>
>>342624104
That's the black version, it lasts longer.
>>
>>342624104
You can get a solid 30 minutes out of it before you had to change its 12 batteries
>>
>>342624104
I still have one. Not worth the batteries to even boot it up.
>>
>>342624104
>have to hold at just the right angle or you cant see shit
>cost 8 bucks a hour to play in batteries
>had extremely shitty games
but it was nintendos fault
>>
As a kid I went through so many batteries playing with this, my dad would buy the jumbo pack of AA's since its battery would last 12 hours at most if I recall.

Eventually I found a wall outlet for it, but by that time it was near the end of its life and I had a GBC. Still played it a lot though.
>>
>>342624104
>Was it the Vita of its time?
Even the Vita had more games.
Also this.>>342625186
>>
>>342624104
Don't even bother using batteries. You can use the power cord from a Sega Genesis to power it instead. It really was the vita since most of its games are Master System ports (its basically a Master System in terms of hardware too).
>>
I still own one of these, with the charger pack and several attachments. It was a piece of shit.

>bigger than the Wii U gamepad
>requires six - SIX - fucking AA batteries to work
>battery life is so shit they developed a rechargeable battery pack to wear on your belt (has belt clip)
>said battery pack is about the size of the system itself
>takes several hours to fully charge
>lasts for like three hours
>shit tier games barring a few exceptions, and they were mostly ports from the Genesis or other Sega systems

It was ass.
>>
>>342624104
Jurassic Park on Game Gear was the shit.
>>
Get a Sega Saturn with an Action Replay, dude.
It's import heaven. It's SEGA heaven. Mmmmmmm.
Or just buy some Genesis roms on Steam for cheap. They added that cool feature, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>342624104
you had to carry a literal metric tonne of batteries for that fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwezp9tfG3g
>>
Had one as a kid. Sad i sold it because its such a novelty.

Used to play Chuck Rock, Sonic the hedgehog and some baseball game.

They all sucked. Backlit screen back then was pretty damn cool though
>>
>>342625858
Yeah the backlit screen was really great, it's the one thing they had on Nintendo for awhile. But a backlit screen isn't enough to sell a subpar and underpowered system.
>>
>>342625710
I haven't watched Surf Ninjas since it was originally released. I never knew Rob Schneider was in it.
>>
>>342625980
haven't seen it in decades. think i still have the game on game gear
>>
>>342625186
I could see mine fine, it had a contrast wheel.
>>
>>342624104
get ready to start soldering.

if the capacitors aren't burnt out yet, they will be soon.
>>
>>342625962
It wasn't underpowered though. It was a full Master System in portable form with a backlit screen. By comparison the Gameboy was a stripped down NES with only one palette and a dot matrix display with no lighting at all (also uses a Z80 instead of the NES 6502 but that's kind of an improvement). Gameboy still had way better games and was actually portable though.
>>
>>342624104
hope you like buying batteries
>>
File: 11938473947.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
11938473947.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>342624104

Was my very first console. Some asswipe stole it out of my closet (along with all the games) while I was away at boot camp a few years ago. Was probably one of my old man's housekeepers.
>>
>>342624104

>Was it the Vita of its time?
This is exactly how I would describe it.
>>
>>342627017
its good?
>>
>>342625120
>>342624979

Just use an adapter you casuals.
>>
File: cover_large.jpg (267 KB, 600x828) Image search: [Google]
cover_large.jpg
267 KB, 600x828
>>342628343

If you like Sonic it's worth. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.