[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So was the new Doom good? Worth getting on the steam sale?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: Doom_Cover[1].jpg (65 KB, 260x370) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Cover[1].jpg
65 KB, 260x370
So was the new Doom good? Worth getting on the steam sale?
>>
>>342621875
I think no, but just look me get mauled by Zenimax shills and consolikids that consider anything without regenerating health innovative.

The game's not "Doom". It's rather a "Brutal Painkiller RPG"; you pretty much only fight in these tiny, lock-down combat arena rooms throughout the whole game, with a dozen enemies on screen at once, with next to no real exploration or fighting between these rooms. You also got not only one, but THREE different level up/ upgrade tree systems, that are necessary to make the gameplay decent.

MP and SnapMap are just shit. Very restricted and forgettable trash.
>>
>>342621875
yes and yes
>>
>>342622153
>The game's not "Doom". It's rather a "Brutal Painkiller
so it's a better game?
>>
easily the best thing that happened to fps genre since bulletstorm
there are some issues like abundance of locked monster arenas but gunplay is insanely satisfying, monsters are not bullet sponges, you are constantly forced to move around and use level's verticality
there's also DMC-like challenges which i find surprisingly fitting, upgrades are not annoying and levels are pretty fun to explore
>>
>>342623670
Nothing about Brutal Doom was great, and even PainKiller had more enemies on screen at once. Even then it was kinda boring and repetitious.
>>
>>342621875
Singleplayer is good. Decently hard, weapons are pretty fun and powerful, enemies aren't too smart though. Level design is pretty simple, but does have some exploration to be done.

MP is pretty shitty, but they're reworking it now.

Snapmap is a wonderful way to make content for console users or people without the skill to mod, but it's very limited and the only replacement for actual modding.
>>
File: 1464708062402.gif (961 KB, 245x213) Image search: [Google]
1464708062402.gif
961 KB, 245x213
>>342623845
oh so... you played on easy then...
>>
I liked it.
Most of the people who are mad about it are upset that they can't pirate it.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>342621875
Yes, and ignore the faggots saying the multiplayer is bad. It's fun as fuck
>>
>>342623845
I don't understand why people shit on brutal doom here. It was a great doom mod.
>>
>>342624247
>adds nothing but more gore and reloading and iron sights
>great mod
>>
>>342624012
>le "lol u played on easy?? :^)" comment #42
You shills never change.

>>342624247
it's overrated, ruins the original's balance and aesthetic design, and just gets boring towards the end.

Still better than D44M, but that doesn't say much.
>>
File: 1440982397215.jpg (22 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1440982397215.jpg
22 KB, 200x250
>>342624383
Yeah but it was fun you dork
>>
>>342621875
>just released
>already on sale
>hurr is dis gayme gud, le /v/?

is common sense dead nowadays?

of course its bad
>>
File: Man violently weds two imps.jpg (86 KB, 540x619) Image search: [Google]
Man violently weds two imps.jpg
86 KB, 540x619
>>342621875
Very fun game, and well optimized. Don't touch the multiplayer.
>>
File: three years old.jpg (95 KB, 679x537) Image search: [Google]
three years old.jpg
95 KB, 679x537
Can my piece of shit PC even run doom alright or should I pass?
>>
Great gunplay, great level design, great graphics and optimization.

Playing on UV, so far the only dangerous guys are those >>342624206
they're a bit too precise and aggressive I find.

I absolutely love Doom 2 and its popular mods tho so I'm biased.

You dont need to be a doom fanboy to see this game is the best thing that happened to FPS in like 10 years tho.

It does so many things right.
>>
>>342625178
>this is considered piece of shit now
Also, did you forget that the game was designed to run on 4yo consoles running on old mobile components?

>>342625243
>You dont need to be a doom fanboy to see this game is the best thing that happened to FPS in like 10 years tho.
I am a huge Doom fan, and I simply hate this nu-Doom. Period.

People praising this shit have shit taste, have let their "standards" drop to rock bottom levels by playing shitty games the past decade, and also are huge hypocrites for totally ignoring the few actually well done, actually old-school style shooters released in the past few years. Some which did both Doom and Duke Nukem better than their respective official games.
>>
File: np3EzMl.gif (10 KB, 84x84) Image search: [Google]
np3EzMl.gif
10 KB, 84x84
I recommend binding Melee/ and Use on the same key.
I was kind of sperging over ripping Gore Nests not being the same key as tearing demons.
>bind e "_use _attack2"
in the console and you've got a general-purpose "Apply Violence" key instead.
>>
>>342625243
Don't forget the Soldiers. Quite a few times their AoE blast has gotten me
>>
>>342625495
>Also, did you forget that the game was designed to run on 4yo consoles running on old mobile components?
I dunno man, i've read some 2 GB cards struggle with the game so I just wanted to ask.
>>
>>342624383
>localized damage
>even more satisfying weapons
>whole new game with map of chaos

the gameplay is changed, thats for sure

you like it or not, but saying it changes nothing is retarded
>>
>>342625589
>I dunno man, i've read some 2 GB cards struggle with the game so I just wanted to ask.
the game runs just fine on 1GB cards, and looks near identical on all the graphical settings. That's one of the nowadays common signs of shitty AAA console-multiplat games.
>>
>>342625495
>Some which did both Doom and Duke Nukem better than their respective official games.

examples ?
>>
>>342625743
>games being well optimized is now a sign of it being bad

I'm fucking done
>>
>>342625780
Sam 3.

>>342625896
>graphics settings doing literally nothing = good optimization
wow, great logic!
>>
>>342625516
You're not wrong, since on console they're the same button
>>
>>342625178
>>
>>342625979
SS has never, ever been similar to classic FPS'.
>>
>>342626069
cyka blyat
>>
>>342626114
No matter how much you try to deny it, SS has been a "Doom clone" since day one, with heavy, obvious inspiration being drawn from both Doom and Douk.

Just like those two games have their own distinct style, SS games also have their own focus. In this case, fighting fuck-huge enemy packs in wide open maps.

The gunplay, enemy-design, the whole ego-shooter attitude... everything is very classic shooter style.
>>
>>342621875
It is definitely worth playing. Give the demo a shot before you decide anything.
>>
File: 1466355976702.jpg (127 KB, 400x545) Image search: [Google]
1466355976702.jpg
127 KB, 400x545
>>342626263
Nyet
>>
File: 1449409332833.jpg (967 KB, 4575x4575) Image search: [Google]
1449409332833.jpg
967 KB, 4575x4575
>>342625979
>Sam 3.

top level bait

the game is mediocre at best

SS is also very different from classic Doom which never relied on throwing waves after waves of enemies from all directions to you

you're full of BS

if you didnt like it its okay

stop being a /v/ermin trying to prove everyone why everything is shit
>>
File: download (7).jpg (9 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
9 KB, 200x252
>>342621875
If you like Doom1/2, serious sam, painkiller ect. Then yes it's totally worth it. Most fun I've had playing a FPS in a long time.
>>
>>342626380
>fighting fuck-huge enemy packs in wide open maps.

this has never been the point of Doom

I encourage you to download a Doom 2 wad and gzdoom and experience it yourself for the first time
>>
>>342621875
SP is pretty good, play on the hardest difficulty, mp is meh, snapmap is p cool
>>
>>342621875
Play on the hardest setting, restart the mission whenever you die. Singleplayer becomes fucking BEAST then. If you're not that great at games then just playing it normally will still be a beast experience.

Multiplayer is also awesome but not for everyone I'm sure.
>>
File: 1463849952691.gif (1 MB, 406x449) Image search: [Google]
1463849952691.gif
1 MB, 406x449
Can't wait for that fagoot to post that shitty pasta again
>>
>>342621875
Ignore nostalgia buttbabies, "old" doom is still very alive and very playable so to be able to like that and nuDoom is very possible. I bought because a steamfriendo told me it was worth it. Bought at full price and played on hardest mode and put over 100 hours into it. MP is hit or miss and snapmap is "not pc mods" but adds some cool shit, plus an update is coming.

If you want the SP experience and its on steam sales, fucking buy it.
>>
>>342626790
>this has never been the point of Doom
Reading comprehension. Learn it.
I never said it was Doom's thing. I said it's SS' thing. However, the style of the gameplay, design of everything in the games, etc, is very Doom-eqque.

>I encourage you to download a Doom 2 wad and gzdoom and experience it yourself for the first time
Good try, sonny. I played both Dooms for the first time on a Pentium 1 Windows 95 machine, AKA potentially long before you were born.

I've also kept the Doom trilogy + zDoom on my EDC USB stick for almost a decade.
>>
>>342625495
Ever heard of hardware optimization, dipshit?
>>
>>342627114
more like "downgrading for the weakest machine on the market, and making sure all the available versions are equally shitty". Been the same shit since x360 days.
>>
>>342621875
Singleplayer campaign is great, multiplayer and snapmap are trash. If you don't give a shit about multiplayer then yeah, go for it.
>>
>>342625495
Feel free to go into what you think is shit about it. It's certainly not "the best thing that happened to FPS in like 10 years" like that guy said though.
>>
I only played the first Doom as a little spit-fuck, and even then I never finished it. This Doom felt a lot like it, and it was fun to see the old pixilated enemies as full blown 3D monstrosities. Each level has a bunch of secrets that were a joy to find and it's tough to max all the upgrades.
Finished my first play through on Normal, still working on Hard.
The single player story is forgettable, but the core gameplay mechanics are solid. Multiplayer is alright but everyone just runs around with the minigun so it gets repetitive. Haven't tried Snap-Map but I hear it's "baby's modding".
Overall an enjoyable experience. I took breaks and read the lore logs, and drank and smoked, during the campaign as well which was cool. Not necessary though.
>>
>>342627678
It's exactly your kind of "baww the whole gayming industry / FPS genre's been SHIIIT for the past 10 years!!!" attitude that's the problem here. Stupid children and tasteless bitches crawling in the CoD-shit obviously are going to suck up nu-Duum as some sort of savior of the whole genre now, as it includes couple carrots enough to satisfy their """oldschool""" shooter grave.
>>
>>342627995
Again, feel free to give actual reasons.
>>
>>342628736
I've given reasons many, many times now.
Every single time, my examples are shot down by either "hurr neva heard" / "but that's not as BIG as Duum, bruh!" / "That game sucked ass!" comments.

Would the modern Cowadooteh been all there's been for the past decade, I would not be a gamer anymore today.
>>
>>342627747
Oh! Forgot to add that I liked the use of colors. Green was always the way to go, white usually leads to secrets, red/blue/yellow for doors n'shit, and orange for most of the Demon related things.
>>
>>342628997
>I've given reasons many, many times now.
In this thread? I don't see any that pertain directly to the new Doom. Just a lot of talk about OTHER games and vague, indirect references to this one.
>>
Will I enjoy it if I don't like Serious Sam a whole lot and think Shadow Warrior 2013 and Painkiller are crap because of the poor level design and predictable structure?
>>
>>342629687
No. It's literally more consolized, shrunk down version of nu-SW, Hard Reset, etc, that use the PainKiller style combat arena design.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.