[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is this game so highly praised over here? morrowind thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11
File: MorrowindCOVER.jpg (62 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
MorrowindCOVER.jpg
62 KB, 375x500
why is this game so highly praised over here?
morrowind thread
>>
Why is your mum so highly praised in bed
>>
Because of its content and lore. I guess nostalgia is partially responsible as well.
>>
Literally nostalgia
>>
>>342580816
Nostalgiafags can't let go of their childhoods, continue to ruin modern games
>>
>>342580816
Because for it's time, it was an amazing experience. People that weren't around at that time, wont see the magic.

Sort of like Goldeneye or Quake. They didn't age well and people that try them later don't get it, they don't understand how the games were at the time and what else there was to play.

Some faggots will call it nostalgia like it's a bad thing. >>342580898 , >>342580962 for example.

They don't realize that some day they're going to be 30+ years old and not connecting with the latest edition of their beloved franchises and genres.
>>
>>342580816
It is praised by people that haven't touched Witcher 3.
>>
>>342580816
because nostalgia
>>
File: tumblr_n97860G8PJ1qc7pn7o1_1280.jpg (376 KB, 1280x1284) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n97860G8PJ1qc7pn7o1_1280.jpg
376 KB, 1280x1284
>>342581098
>Implying.
I enjoy both Wicher 3 and Morrowind.
>>
>>342580816
Basically what >>342580876 said. It wasn't a perfect game but at it's time it was fantastic. And while the gameplay is pretty arguably outdated, the content and lore are still better than what we've gotten out of TES since.
>>
>>342581087
But Quake's gameplay isn't clunky as shit.
>>
>>342581098
It's quite literally the same shit as Witcher 3
>Plenty of NPC's, only 0.001% of them remotely interesting
>"Hand-crafted world" most of it empty or full of copy pasted locations
>Praised by hipsters who want to "stick" it to more popular games
>Terrible Combat
>Unmemorable or short DLC
>Bad soundtrack
>Easy to break
>>
>>342581245
You're missing the point and I'm not going to indulge this ancient b8 about Morrowind's combat.
>>
>>342581087
all i remember it being was buggy shit with a limited pool of dialog for NPC, most items and lore being directly lifted from daggerfall and the stamina bar fucking me at every turn
>>
File: 1295061617636.jpg (206 KB, 642x1082) Image search: [Google]
1295061617636.jpg
206 KB, 642x1082
Why can't we have good Morrowind threads again?
>>
>>342581378
Because people who post here were 3 when it was released, some not even born.
>>
>>342581378
It's the OP, it invites shitters that handle a game from 14 years ago still being on top
>>
>>342580816
I was 13 the first time i played it, and it was already outdated especially compared to like fable and halo 1 which were its peers. Unlike all other games, which i played with a fuckton of cheat codes to do cool shit i actually sat down and explored and read every little thing. It was a novel, a horror survival game, and that sometimes it was so hard to figure shit out was so different from the linear stuff I had played before. That game you can't think of in the context of humanity, you have to think differently for it, and then you're there and you live in wretched island.
>>
>>342581312
Every Elder Scrolls game starts out broken and buggy.

>Limited pool of dialogue.
From you as the player but your goal was to gain information, not give it. The NPCs still had more to say than in both Oblivion and Skyrim because they weren't tied down to thousands of hours of recorded voice overs.

>stamina bar fucking me
No, you fucked yourself by allocating your points and managing your supplies like shit.

>>342581378
Because /v/ is full of fucking trolls, contrarians and manbabies that don't play games, they just want to fight about them.
>>
>>342581491
>it was already outdated especially compared to like fable and halo 1
but halo 1 was totally different game. You could say that halo was very good game and had good looks to it, but it didn't have very big world, it's pretty close to rails shooter.

>fable
this game literally casual as fuck, and not in a good way. You could say it was "good game", but it literally had 0 depth at all to it. You had these little "gimmicks" like marriage and sex, but those things had nothing to do with having a good game. The gameplay was really stale.
>>
>>342581087
Quake is a good game, Morrowind is a trademark Bethesda product. If you don't see that, you must've not played many games.
>>
>>342580816
It's fun. The setting is alien and fantasy. The skills feel good enough...inb4 "can't hit a mud crab with a warhammer two minutes after stepping off the boat". You can exploit alchemy and magic just like all of the godly npcs except better.

It's really not for everyone, it's like enjoying AD&D or Dwarf Fortress. There's a lot there that's possible and there's much to offer but not everyone will care or even like it.
>>
File: 1431779708811.jpg (407 KB, 1260x1782) Image search: [Google]
1431779708811.jpg
407 KB, 1260x1782
>>342581732
>Quake.
Hah! Speaking of nostalgiafags.
ded genre
ded game
ded fanbase

Oh and Bethesda owns it now.
>>
File: Joker.jpg (59 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
Joker.jpg
59 KB, 600x449
>>342581282
>Bad soundtrack

Dude
>>
File: 1465800470434.png (193 KB, 373x273) Image search: [Google]
1465800470434.png
193 KB, 373x273
>>342581745
Morrowind's problems don't stop with the gameplay, it also features a main story told in a really fucking boring way (inb4 I have ADD), encyclopedia NPCs, and a gray world with nothing much but giant mushrooms. All of the above and their realization effectively kill any pretense of this being a simulation of a living world.

And so, following that vein of thought, not being able to hit a mudcrab with a warhammer isn't only stupid from a gameplay perspective, but it also kills immersion. Heavily, since this is supposed to be a first person RPG where you're pretending to be in the head of an actual person, as opposed to something like Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale where you command a party and where dicerolls actually make sense, paired up with the isometric nature of the game.

Gothic did this shit better, and I never understood why TES got so popular. Granted, Morrowind can still be enjoyable for all of its faults, and it doesn't get anywhere close to the level of shitshows that Oblivion or Fallout 3 gave us, but it isn't a game worthy of dicksucking. Plus, in my own opinion, it's also not worthy of experiencing in its entirety. Thank fuck for mods.
>>
>>342582139
>Oh and Bethesda owns it now.

It was already dead, and they have openly stated they want to cash in on the Overwatch niche so they'll just use the name for sales. Who fucking cares.
>>
>>342581708
>trolls, contrarians and manbabies

Gee, doesn't that sound like a certain "old school/hardcore" fanbase?
>>
>>342582426
>Gee, doesn't that sound like a certain "old school/hardcore" fanbase?
Nope.

Thank goodness for /vr/ otherwise Morrowind (and other older game) discussions would be dead entirely on 4chan.
>>
>>342582653
That's what happens when you split fanbases like that.
>>
>>342582653
>Morrowind
>retro game

Anyway, TES threads also exist on /tg/.
>>
Every Elder Scrolls games are babies' first rpgs. These games are empty husks without any good content. People don't play these games to roleplay, they play them for mindless dungeon looting.

If you want to play a real rpg try the witcher3. It has a rich story with real rpg elements.
>>
>>342583012
>Morrowind.
>Modern game.

And you're correct.
>>
>>342583012
>>342583253
I don't speak for everyone, but I would consider a 15 year old game "retro"
>>
>>342583405
You know times are very bad when even a 98 2litre turbo sports car is considered an "old car"
>>
>>342583478
Context, retard. Cars have been around much older than vidya.

You wouldn't call a table from the 60's an antique, for instance.
>>
File: download (2).png (10 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download (2).png
10 KB, 224x225
>>342583209
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bait
>>
>>342582258
>Overworld Music
>Combat music
>Nothing else
>Only 2 memorable tracks

It's really not that good.
>>
>>342584008
How about you fuck right off Morroweenie? The Elder Scrolls is pure shit and one of the most overrated series out there.
>>
File: 1424743595458.jpg (44 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1424743595458.jpg
44 KB, 500x667
>>342584209
>>
>>342584008

Bait, but everything he said is correct, except the idea that the games are without "any" good content all. They do have some good things but everything else is overrated.
>>
File: 1465940126671.jpg (47 KB, 575x630) Image search: [Google]
1465940126671.jpg
47 KB, 575x630
>>342584209
>morroweenie
>>
if you complain about morrowinds combat you need to learn how to spec your character
>>
>>342580962
>continue to ruin modern games
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>342584998
No fuck you faggot nerd. Action rpgs shouldn't rely on stats to make up for shit combat. Pen and paper RPGs were dying at the time, it's like making Skyrim turn based, using outdated shit to make up for a lack of competence.
>>
I think I work for everyone who is tired of the Morrowind circlejerk when I say that my character's "stats" should be my own personal skill as a gamer. Artificially restricting my abilities as a player ruins immersion, and only serves as an excuse to avoid making the gameplay engaging.
>>
>>342586325
Speak for*
>>
>>342586079
Everything wrong with Skyrim was because of morrowshit nerds. The dumb down armor, the useless fucking books everywhere, the intro sequence because morrowshits need MUH LORE. The lack of meaningful character because real dialogue sucks. The fact that you're born special rather than being hero from SKILL, not a prophecy like Oblivion.
>>
>>342581282
You don't know shit about witcher m8
>>
>>342586079
tying your entire game around a single bar that drains under the smallest strain, and getting punished for letting it fall even 1 point
>>
>>342586560
Agree. Morrowind combat is cancer, that game is cancer. The plot isn't even good. Oblivion has way better characters, voice profit nance, setting, and ambience. Morrowind literally wins nowhere in the grand scheme of things.
>>
You're meant to avoid combat against anything as big as you are until you gain some levels from quests
>>
>>342586663
It's a fantasy game with wizards and dragons. Combat should be the fucking MAIN THING.
>>
>>342586645
it's not just the combat, everything is strapped to that stamina bar, alchemy, armorer, spellcasting, even your menu is trapped by that green bar
>>
File: 1345520727025.jpg (41 KB, 680x425) Image search: [Google]
1345520727025.jpg
41 KB, 680x425
>>342582265

>Morrowind's problems don't stop with the gameplay, it also features a main story told in a really fucking boring way (inb4 I have ADD), encyclopedia NPCs, and a gray world with nothing much but giant mushrooms. All of the above and their realization effectively kill any pretense of this being a simulation of a living world.

This immediately tells me you don't know about the other regions, which means you have maybe...I'll be generous and say two hours of playtime?

>And so, following that vein of thought, not being able to hit a mudcrab with a warhammer isn't only stupid from a gameplay perspective, but it also kills immersion. Heavily, since this is supposed to be a first person RPG where you're pretending to be in the head of an actual person, as opposed to something like Neverwinter Nights or Icewind Dale where you command a party and where dicerolls actually make sense, paired up with the isometric nature of the game.

Immersion? You're a prisoner who's been on a prison vessel for an untold amount of time. You come from no family or wealth. You come from a murky history,and even if you claim yourself to be a veteran warrior, you've evidently been in prison long enough for your skills and muscles to decay. If that's not your back story or you insist it is, whichever,you need to make it fit the opening the game gives you, not the reverse.

I won't suck it's dick and defend obvious issues like overflow loot bags spawning on top of valuable items or how dropping anything can end up with something hidden permanently by geometry but you have to remember how old the game is. It's not perfect but it's very close, I think. All it needs is a fresh engine, remade graphics and the same gameplay.
>>
>worse than every RPG from the 80's and 90's
>but any and all criticism for it must be because you're underage
>>
>>342586325
Yeah, well, who gives a shit about you
>>
>>342580816
Because TES is popular and Morrowind is that particular series' peak. It was probably a lot of people's first RPG, and maybe even their first open-world game. It's good, but overrated (here at least) and I'm sure you'd see just as much discussion and praise of Gothic 1&2 if the series had stayed relevant today like TES has.
>>
>>342587282
>This immediately tells me you don't know about the other regions, which means you have maybe...I'll be generous and say two hours of playtime?
I've given Morrowind around two or three honest tries so that probably puts me at around 5 hours of traversing some lands, reaching Balmora, and getting bored to tears. If this is the general level of quality that the game is going to present, I'm not impressed or inclined to explore more.

>Immersion? You're a prisoner who's been on a prison vessel for an untold amount of time. You come from no family or wealth. You come from a murky history,and even if you claim yourself to be a veteran warrior, you've evidently been in prison long enough for your skills and muscles to decay.
I talked about the dice combat having no place in a game of that type, haven't said a thing about backstory. It's great that you're provided with one, but that's not the point.

I'll be fair and concede that Morrowind could be a better game if you just modded the fuck out of it, or remade it in a more bearable engine, but you'd have to work really hard to upgrade the gameplay and the way the world feels in order for this game to stay relevant. And that's honestly the typical thing Bethesda expects from the PC crowd they tried to fuck over with mod monetization, to make their games interesting so they won't have to work hard.
>>
>still no obligatory miss webms
you're slacking off, anons
>>
>>342587359
>>342587680

While browsing forums from the early 2000s I also saw plenty of people praise Gothic games and criticize Morrowind.
I should probably give those games a try.
>>
>>342588139
Not that guy, but you think you are viable to say anything, when you only made it to fucking Balmora? You're a fucking retard who missed a shitton of content.
The gameplay is not perfect, it is weird to see your weapon touch an enemy yet miss, and when you hit it doesn't feel like you hit at all, unless those times it's a critical hit and the opponent staggers, but it does its job well. You start out weak, but get strong as you progress, and if you're not a mongoloid (read: most of kids today who play video games), you will choose a specific set of traits for your character and by the end of the game have a character who is well-versed in certain areas, enough so to make the game beatable.
The OST is amazing, the design of the world too, and the environment and atmosphere is so sublime that it's probably the best in any video game, ever. I don't think I'll ever forget the Telvanni Hortator quest, or the Ald'Ruhn thieves' guild quests. Or those small little quests which become engraved in your memory because of the sheer randomness (like that person's friend in Ald'Ruhn who got killed by a creature inside his home and didn't appear so someone was wondering what was going on with him, or that wood elf in Mournhold, who gets pissed if you don't lend him an unobtainable sum of money and appears with a strong armor and weapon later, wishing to kill you). But who am I talking to? You're probably underage.
You got your 3x3? I'm curious to see your taste.
>>
>>342586203
>action rpg
its a first person rpg
>>
>>342588998
Here we go, "you haven't seen shit so you can't comment" and "you're like kids nowadays so you don't get it". I've said I've given the game many tries and the world was so painfully boring up until that point that I lost all hope of it getting better. And yet you're coming out and saying that the atmosphere is "sublime", come on.

I've been playing games for a long fucking time, some of which managed to present a world that's more interesting from the get-go. So I'd say that, ironically enough, my unwilingness to put up with Morrowind's boring bullshit stems not from me being thirteen or having ADHD, but from having experienced titles which provide way more from the get go.

>But who am I talking to? You're probably underage. You got your 3x3? I'm curious to see your taste.

You're hilarious.

I don't have a 3x3 since I'm past the point where I care about whoring my tastes out on an anonymous board, it will come to you as well after few years. Some of my favorite games are La Mulana, the original Deus Ex, Infinite Space, any Fallout game that wasn't released by Bethesda or has "Brotherhood of Steel" in the title, Gothic 1 and 2, Jedi Outcast, the original Shadow Warrior, Commandos 2, and more.
>>
>>342589548
Not the same anon, but I also tried to play through the game about three times, where my experience mirrored much of your sentiments. The fourth time I gave it a go, however, I fell completely in love.

Played the game for 50 hours, and felt immersed as fuck. Having to learn which fast travels connect to which villages, which places connect with which, following the direction given in quests, in the process truly absorbing the world since you looked for landmarks and signs and the like.

Actually having to have the skills that correlate to the guild or faction that you envelop yourself is also such a simple thing, which Skyrim severely lack.

There is also no other game that made me feel as divine by end game as Morrowind did. Instead of trotting from village to village, taking the occasional strider or boat, being afraid of bandits and cliff racers, I was flying over half the world with one magic induced jump

Combat is not very good, but it does the job. After a few hours, I just didn't give that much thought to it. It is also a very, very simple system.

I am curious, which RPGs do you consider top tier?
>>
>>342589548
First guy who disputed your complaints.

It doesn't matter how many times you gave the game a shot, if you kept giving up after the very first campaign mission, what you have to say really doesn't reflect much of anything other than beginning game bandits will fuck your shit.

Now if you were halfway through and gave up because of a certain thing draining an attribute every day, you'd at least know something about the setting at all beyond giant mushrooms and bugs that can paralyze you.
>>
>>342590404
You just triggered my bonewalker PTSD
>>
>>342583834
I said I don't consider a 98 sports car old. Maybe you're the retard?
>>
File: 4120471507.jpg (17 KB, 270x320) Image search: [Google]
4120471507.jpg
17 KB, 270x320
>>342586491
>Everything wrong with Skyrim was because of morrowshit nerds
>The dumb down armor
>>
>>342581717
>this game literally casual as fuck, and not in a good way. You could say it was "good game", but it literally had 0 depth at all to it. You had these little "gimmicks" like marriage and sex, but those things had nothing to do with having a good game. The gameplay was really stale.
This.

I remember all the hype about the things you could do in Fable and it being bullshit, besides the family and sex part.
>>
>>342580816

It puts the "RP" in RPG

one of the few rpg series that lets you actually roleplay instead of having a character driven story.
>>
Best TES to date
played 1000+ hours in vanilla and just started a new char after a very long time. still fun.
>>
>>342591164
It's b8..
>>
>>342581282
Low-effort bait
>>
>>342591739
>Best TES to date
or maybe that title belongs to DF
>>
>>342591953
maybe, once the unity rework is finished
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.