[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are you playing tonight /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 19
File: Screenshot_2016-06-23-22-37-05.png (452 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-23-22-37-05.png
452 KB, 2560x1440
playing my favorite game ever yet again tonight
pic related. tell me how this isnt the best game ever
>>
File: 1451527915724.jpg (30 KB, 474x595) Image search: [Google]
1451527915724.jpg
30 KB, 474x595
>>342573286
fuckin love lod, great battle system + great story
>>
>>342573286
BURNING RUSHHHHH
>>
>>342573286
i used to pretend with hockeysticks in my back yard that i fought fruegel and lloyd. i was like 5
>>
>>342575904

VOLCANO
>>
SPINNING CANE!

Lavitz's death still hurts
>>
File: 1333013497646.jpg (17 KB, 216x250) Image search: [Google]
1333013497646.jpg
17 KB, 216x250
>tfw landing that addition you could never get FINALLY

What was her name, /v/?

MADNESS.....HEROOOOOO
>>
>>342576306
coool booogiee
first time i saw this game in full hd i nearly shit. it was like a whole different blade
> mfw for the longest time when i was younger i thought darts sword was a saw blade serrated style
>>
>>342576464
fucking gust of wind dance
>>
>>342576568
This. Holy fuck that was annoying.
>>
>>342576257
>5
sure you were mate, more like 15 but i aint judging you
>>342576568
this and one of merus last ones
>>
>>342573286
Some of my favorite vidya music comes from this game. When I was younger and needed to stop playing and do homework I would just pause the game and work to the menu music. So goddamn relaxing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdzYsNLoeGY

Also. I have never heard a better hero theme than Dart's theme. Its the perfect "Oh shit lets fucking GO!" morale boosting theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91rfBdd5SM
>>
File: hl2.exe_2016-06-18-02-22-47-724.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
hl2.exe_2016-06-18-02-22-47-724.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Gonna plow through the rest of Ep2 for the first time since 2010 while really fucked-up on meds in order to cushion the blow that I'm never getting closure
>>
>>342576257
I used to pretend I'd fight the divine dragon then watch mom get mad because I was swinging sticks and running around on the roof
>>
>>342576756
i couldnt agree more with you. every word you said was in perfect sync with my feeelings. bravo.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>342573286
want to pull an all nighter because I'm on vacations and I spent the whole day modding this bastard

at what point is best to stall the main quest and wander around doing companion quests, DLC and some quest mods? I was thinking after meeting Benny/Yes man, what do you think?
>>
>>342576568
>get used to lavitz timing
>Albert is 10 times fucking faster
>>
>>342576568
>spend a solid hour or so practicing Gust of Wind Dance on casual baddies
>Lavitz dies shortly thereafter and I have to re-learn the whole shit because Albert's timing is completely different
>>
>>342576956
I normally do that kind of stuff after I witness the Legion crucifixions in Nipton. Not really sure what the pros/cons are between mine and yours though.
>>
>>342573286
>tell me how this isnt the best game ever

Incredibly cliche and predictable plot. All of the characters are cardboard cutouts that get zero development and remain boring the whole game.

Broken battle system. Additions are a pointless time waster, the majority of spells being regulated to items is retarded, and Guard makes you immortal.

Ugly visuals even when compared to its contemporaries. Retarded "cutscenes" that are still pictures with an accompanying narration. World map exploration is insulting linear. Forced to switch discs to backtrack.

Legend of Dragoon is easily one of the worst JRPGs ever.
>>
I bet none of you fags were even good enough to beat Lloyd in the tournament.
>>
Who's best girl?
>>
>>342577264
Go be a poop somewhere else
>>
>>342577324
Meru

Lavitz best man. Even when possessed.
>>
>>342577371
Hey man, OP asked for it. Those are 100% legitimate and grievous issues that all but nostalgia blind fanboys can recognize.
>>
>>342576464
Only time you have an excuse to miss an Addition is when an enemy counters during it. They are all very easy to pull off.

>>342576956
It matters more on your level and gear. As long as you're strong enough to guarantee your companions won't die you're fine. DLC you should probably tackle later though.
>>
>>342577324
>>342577428
This.
>>
>>342577324
Meru, both in gameplay and in story
>one of the highest-damage additions in the game
>Dancer's equipment giving her three turns for everyone else's one
>Rainbow Breath
>water elemental in a game with a healthy share of fire-type enemies
>silver hair
>nigh-ageless because Wingly genetics
>dancer's physique
>surprisingly good character development compared to the rest of the female cast
Nobody else even comes close.
>>
>>342577286
ive done some shit in that game. mow way you can do that can you?
>>
>>342577248
mmmm I don't see any pros/cons either really, I'm just want to stall the main quest with Benny since I feel it brings some kind of closure to the whole "I was shot and left for dead thing"...but that's just my autismo roleplaying things
>>
>>342577554
Shit forgot about the companions, I'm also debating myself into making them essential or not since I downloaded an Unlimited companions mod (which would make the game easy as fuck I know) or might as well just give them a bazillion super stimpacks throught console every once in a while
>>
>>342578053
All 8 companions with 10 Charisma on the player character sounds like a semi-fun playthrough. Literally have your personal army do all the work while you smooth-talk what can't be brute-forced. Not to mention high charisma stat gives bonuses to companion damage output and defense.
>>
File: 1432859832188.png (90 KB, 379x296) Image search: [Google]
1432859832188.png
90 KB, 379x296
>>342573286
>trying to reverse counter Cat's Cradle
>>
File: 1415501024704.jpg (19 KB, 284x285) Image search: [Google]
1415501024704.jpg
19 KB, 284x285
>>342573286

best in-game menu music, used to just pull it up and zone out to it as a kid

HUYYYYYUGH...GRUUUGH...PUR-SUIT
>>
>>342578053
I usually just save-scummed. Not sure if that's better or worse than using the console.

>>342578245
>using Kongol
>>
>>342576306
DOUBLE SLASH
>>
File: 1437688943478-2.gif (3 MB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1437688943478-2.gif
3 MB, 500x280
>>342577758

that visible nipple in her CG render inside the instruction booklet
>>
>>342578328
CRUSH DANCE
>>
File: 1189228436721.jpg (112 KB, 722x1205) Image search: [Google]
1189228436721.jpg
112 KB, 722x1205
Odin Sphere. I'm really enjoying it
>>
File: Magician Faust.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Magician Faust.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>342577264
I wouldn't say that it's THE WORST, but after playing it from beginning to end, I can see why it was't the FINAL FANTASY KILLER that it was toted to be.

I wouldn't say the PLOT is generic and cliche, I would say that the characters drag it down a lot. It's a series in which 108 races have existed on the planet, and many of them are dying out, or in the middle of dying out. Kongol is the last of the giants, Vysages are ancient superweapons, the Dragons, and so forth.
The problem is that the characters aren't great. Dart is just Main Character Hero, Albert doesn't do anything after you save him, the main villian is forgettable and boring. I honestly enjoyed hearing about Faust more than him. The solution to everything is to go here and get the thing. Go here and get the other thing. Go here and fight the guy to get the thing. It's got a lot under the surface, but it remains just there under the surface. And that's the problem, it could be great, but it's buried under lesser material.

And Shana? Don't even get me fucking started on her. From when she first joins, she gets left out of like 2-3 boss fights/sequences because she's been kidnapped/poisoned or some other horseshit. I could give a fuck less about the fact that she's the Legendary Moon Child or whatever, because it's sprung up on you at the last moment before she's kidnapped. She's a completely boring character, even for this series, and her attack doesn't even fit with the mechanic of the goddamn game! SHE DOESN'T HAVE AN ADDITION SYSTEM.
>>
>>342578392

FLURRY OF STYX
>>
>>342578457
haschel was pretty cool guy though, eh punches dudes and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>342573286
Man, I remember this game. I played all night trying to beat it because I had to fly cross country the next day. I finally gave up, only later to realize I could have beaten it if I had given it another hour. Also Rose best grill
>>
>>342578245
i was pretty calm right until that. oh man. goddamn kongol was the best. i was stoked when i finally got his final addition
>>
File: aspect raidou.png (478 KB, 3532x687) Image search: [Google]
aspect raidou.png
478 KB, 3532x687
>>342573286
>>
File: 1437435818653.png (208 KB, 390x507) Image search: [Google]
1437435818653.png
208 KB, 390x507
Trying to finish up VLR before ZTD comes out or leaks
>>
>>342578457
admittedly shana is not a sterling example of the games characters. Honestly everyone outside of dart and shana get something that makes them stand out. the problem is all the cool shit that couldve come from the game got slammed into the end. haschels daughter, mirandas stuff, it all was present but they didnt have space to flesh it out
>>
>>342577264
The battle system isn't broken, just very simple and casual. It can be broken but not til late game where you get items and gear that make the game play itself, but that's for rpgs almost universally. Additions and combos have been a thing before and after lod, they add flair at worst and a whole other layer to combat at its best. The visuals were up to standard at its time, and that time was a rapid growth of graphic and cinematic quality, considering the amount of games that were left behind during that jump it's impressive it holds up as well it does. Half the characters do go through arcs and changes while the other half don't so one note characters is valid criticism, same with the story being mostly cliche. I personally like the items playing a more important role in combat and spells, mostly it's cause the spells most characters have aren't that great. Guard is stupid good but doesn't make you invincible. I also don't have to switch discs to backtrack, but maybe something is wrong with my game? I don't remember ever having to and I own it to this day and can go back to the tower prison or starting village anytime, they just have less frequent changes compared to recent areas.

The big complaints I have are that additions become really good really fast, spells suck for the most part, instant kill enemies are annoying, and that guard was too good. The bosses, music, and overall pace of the story was fantastic imo. Would honestly do well with a modern revisit with slight balance and graphical tweaks and would immediately drop money for.
>>
the guild 2
it's pretty gud
>>
File: WASTED.jpg (43 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
WASTED.jpg
43 KB, 460x215
This is pretty much a rogue-lite Fallout with toilet humor.
>>
>>342579043
>The battle system isn't broken

Guarding makes you immortal.

>cut all damage in half
>become immune to all status effects
>recover 10% HP

It's retarded. Even what should be a squishy character like Meru can suddenly tank better than the actual tanks in the game (Albert/Kongol).

>I also don't have to switch discs to backtrack

Yeah you do. Don't know why. That kind of incompetence is baffling.
>>
>>342579146
>Fallout
don't you mean Wasteland
>>
>>342579641
It's a Fallout parody with Coolers (Vaults), Rottymen (ghouls), the 10mm pistol from Fallout, and a whole lot more Fallout parody shit.
>>
>>342579923
is it Fun
>>
File: transformers-devastation.jpg (81 KB, 736x413) Image search: [Google]
transformers-devastation.jpg
81 KB, 736x413
When people told me there were transformers with witch time in this game, I thought it was stupid.
I still think it's stupid, but it's also fucking awesome.
>>
>>342579923
oh I just thought because of the name
>>
>>342579336
Hard to kill isn't the same as invincible. You can still die with your guard up.
>>
File: DRAGOONBROS.jpg (44 KB, 641x479) Image search: [Google]
DRAGOONBROS.jpg
44 KB, 641x479
>>342578457
I'd say that the big fault of LoD is that there's a lot more flash than substance. There are a whole bunch of FMVs, but a lot of them are for uninteresting shit, like the boat where you find out that Shana JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE ROYALTY.
Final Fantasy 8 had already come out when this did. You really have to come up with something better at this day and age.

The graphics look great for the PS1 era, but that's it. Outside of the bosses, all of the enemies are generic and uninspired, and they just don't "fit" You remember Malboro because outside of it's imposing design, HP total and strength, you're lucky if it doesn't immediately fuck your shit up with Bad Breath. It leave a mark on you, "this thing is dangerous, and needs to be handled properly" I can't think of one random enemy from LoD, not even the names. Watch out for the scarecrow and mushroom man!

The Addition System was a nice idea, but at the end of the day, it's just a more complicated version of Timed Hits. You're still pressing buttons in a sequence But the problem is that the way that some of the items work, the Dragoon System becomes obsolete halfway in the middle of the game! It doesn't help that to use it is costly, you can't turn it on or off, and at the latter half of the game, many of the enemies put down your stats for using it, including the Final Boss!
>>
https://youtu.be/Xlkg_yh73aA

PSO1 Blue Burst.
>>
>>342580143
I enjoy it, but the difficulty is kinda frontloaded, the inventory management might turn people off, and the dungeons are pretty samey.
Also there's a great Loverslab joke about waifufags.
>>
>>342580213
And here are some random tidbits
-The last dungeon of the game is a joke. You're going to the place where some asshole is trying to start the creation of a new world, and he's going to destroy the old one in the middle of the process.
So instead of exploring that, we'll split everyone up, and reuse assets from other areas in the game! And on top of that, this is where we try to rush plot points from the other characters at the end of the game!
Did you know that Haschel's daughter Claire (you do remember her, right?) is also Dart's mom?
Did you remember that Miranda's mother used to beat her? Well, we'll talk about that right now!
You remember Archangel, the deity of the Winglies, right?

There's subtle, and then there's not even bothering until the last moment. This game does the latter. But the worst part is that none of these boss fights give you the ability to fail. Instead of challenging the player, they'll do some attack where they hit you to 1 HP, wait for you to heal, or sometimes they do it themselves! You can't lose! They're basically glorified cutscenes to develop the character over shit they hardly talked about at all! To me, that says a gigantic waste of my time.

-Kongol. He feels like he was just thrown into the party because they needed and wanted a BIG GUY on the team, but he really doesn't do or say much in the game. Which is strange, because he's in a lot of FMVs that the other characters don't get to be in.
But the big problem with him is that he's useless. Yes, he has a great attack and defense, but he's slow, goddamn slow, and many of the enemies at the last part of the game lean toward using magic. They'll rip him to pieces.

Someone had once explained that you're better off using Melua than him, because she can attack several times in the one turn he gets, thus doing more damage him at once, hell you can get 5 in if you equip her right. Add that she has speed and magic, and you've got no reason to switch to Kongol.
>>
File: THE END.jpg (52 KB, 638x471) Image search: [Google]
THE END.jpg
52 KB, 638x471
>>342581408
I don't know, the game had potential, but the technology just was not there yet, and there seems to be a lot of good ideas thrown under bad ones.

This game could probably do great with a sequel with some great direction, but this game was never going to be able to kill Final Fantasy after 7 came out with a game of its quality.
>>
>>342577264
>Broken battle system. Additions are a pointless time waster, the majority of spells being regulated to items is retarded, and Guard makes you immortal.
Its broken but not for those reasons. Its broken because of imbalance

Speed stat is hilariously OP
High Magic Stat + Magic + Enemy Element Weakness is OP
Because of this Kongol is 100% the worst party member choice 100% of the time
>>
>>342581408
implying kongol is the only useless party member in a jrpg..
>>
>>342576464
Demon's Dance was such a pain
That fuckin addition had no fuckin rhythm, and I just could not for the life of me .
>>
File: Dart_portrait.png (37 KB, 135x154) Image search: [Google]
Dart_portrait.png
37 KB, 135x154
>>342581408
Legend of Dragoon wasn't even hard, why would you have to look at characters "objectively" like that?

I liked Kongol so I used him
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.