[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which game has the deepest lore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: LakesandOceans_4f8315a3ee18e.png (648 KB, 2592x1728) Image search: [Google]
LakesandOceans_4f8315a3ee18e.png
648 KB, 2592x1728
Which game has the deepest lore?
>>
Undertale
>>
Bioshock Infinite
>>
The honest, non ironic meme answer?

Halo

It has 20 novels and like 10 comic books though on top of all the games so it really wins just by sheer quantity, though the lore is actually pretty decent.

After that it'd probably be Elder Scrolls due to the in game books or some jap VN series with like 40 entries that I don't know about
>>
Tales of
>>
Dark Souls
>>
Mario 64
>>
>>342573029
Those parallel universes are serious shit
>>
Overwatch
>>
>>342572121
>playing vidya for the story
>>
Def Jam Fight for NY
>>
probably dwarf fortress or ultima ratio regum

they're both randomly generated but generated to be pretty friggin deep fammo
>>
>>342572121
what fucking door
>>
Kirby, honestly.
>>
>>342572121
Mother series
>>
VA-11 Hall-A
>>
>>342573274
>I only play Tetris and Pacman exclusively
>>
>>342573606
I want to know too
>>
>>342573606
>>342575324
It's a joke
>>
>>342575324
>>342573606
He won't tell us.

>>342572887
I suspect had ME3 not been so bad, ME could have been a contender eventually.
>>
>>342573606
>>342575324

Have you not seen James Cameron's The Abyss? Get on that el pronto.
>>
>>342572887
Quantity =/= deep. The Conan the Barbarian comic had over 700 issues, and it was not deep at all.
>>
>>342572121
>Which game has the deepest lore?
your mom lol
>>
>>342576210
you take that back you slimy son of a whore, I will murder you
>>
Warhammer both fantasy and 40k
>>
>>342575687
>he doesn't know
>>
>>342572887
>>342575981
It really isn't that bad though, it's not top tier fantasy, but it's still a pretty good world to get into.
Literally tons of games, books, comics, and even short movies.

Also Mass Effect could be a contender with the upcoming game, and of course The Elder Scrolls has plenty of content.
>>
>>342575981
>>342577484
Right, but Halo's lore is actually decent and has some depth to it on top of the quantity, which is why it comes out on top
>>
File: 1427251838598.jpg (24 KB, 378x368) Image search: [Google]
1427251838598.jpg
24 KB, 378x368
>>342573667
This guy gets it, and its only getting deeper each game
>>
>>342578614
"I like it" =/= deep. It's full, certainly, and well written in parts, but it is remarkably straight forward. It's well and beyond most video games, but it it's depth is no where near the top. TES Daggerfall alone is far more extensive and, in the literal meaning of the word, much deeper. Remember that "deep" means "extending far beneath the surface." So much of what is distinct about TES is beneath the surface. And again, I'd point to Daggerfall alone to showcase it, to skip all the Vivec and CHIM shennanigans.
>>
>>342572121
cool picture
>>
File: world map.jpg (1 MB, 3750x3000) Image search: [Google]
world map.jpg
1 MB, 3750x3000
The Elder Scrolls is definitely a contender
>>
God damn the titanic got cucked
>>
SiIvaGunner
>>
>>342579137
>but it is remarkably straight forward

Maybe if you don't bother to look deeper or haven't read the forerunner novels. I suggest you check out some of these articles:

http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/
http://www.forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/deep-catalog/

They are (sadly) the only good analysis I can find on Halo lore and storytelling themes. I think 9 levels undergound is a good starting one but that's mainly just pointing out how ODST is an allegory in terms of it's themes and with symbolism rather then actual lore stuff.

For the record, by deep, I both mean non-obvious and subtle (such as with envorimental storytelling) as well as stuff like narrative themes and symbolism. Halo does a lot more of both then even most novel readers of the series realize. Halo 2 especially is jam packed with shit.
>>
The metal slug series. The amount of background lore is ridicolous, and none of it is brought up in the games themselves
>>
The warcraft series has a lot of lore and it's very expansive, but it's very pulpy.
>>
In terms of in-game lore, probably the Legacy of Kain series.
All the questions and most of the answers can be found just by playing the series and most of it remained consistent throughout.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 192x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 192x183
Mario has the deepest lore out of anything

Many people are still trying to figure out how did the Green thwomp get into the jail cell

The history of the game is still unclear and is even more harder to piece together than Dark souls and Zelda combined
>>
If we're counting lore that's from the franchise and not just in-game, Warhammer 40k for sure
>>
>>342572121
Lord of the rings
>>
File: 1370931782365.jpg (1 MB, 1242x3790) Image search: [Google]
1370931782365.jpg
1 MB, 1242x3790
>>342579491
The deepest part of Halo IS the Forerunner parts. I'd say that's about on par with the multiple split timelines resulting from the end of Daggerfall, or the history of the ayleids, or to go all out: the Creation of Tamriel - including Lorkhan, The Towers (most of which are present in Daggerfall), and the origin of aedra/daedra.

But that's not even close to the end of TES. It goes further and further, as I'm sure you probably already know. Things with Anu, the Dreamer, all the stuff around Lorkhan's heart and Talos, the different species of Khajiit and the moon phases, Argonia and the sentient trees, Valenwood's moving tree-cities, and so on.

And if you want to talk environmental storytelling, look no farther than pic related. Morrowind does it in spades.

I'm not trying to shit on Halo. It really is up there, but compared to TES alone it is readily apparent where it falls short. I don't even think TES "has the deepest lore," it's just something I'm readily familiar with over the decades (along with Halo and WHF/40k).
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.