[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/v/ I hear that g-sync is really good for my games what exactly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (3 KB, 278x182) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3 KB, 278x182
/v/ I hear that g-sync is really good for my games what exactly does it do is free sync better or is it all just a meme?
>>
>>342549359
it's cheaper. That's about it
>>
>>342549359
Games are memes in general so you should even bother with them either.
>>
>>342550054
>Games are memes coming from /v/
>>
>>342549359
start watching at 9mins and on words https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzHxhjcE0eQ
>>
>>342549359
Between g-sync, freesync, and v-sync, you are dealing with differences that are imperceptible to most humans. The tech is interesting on an academic level, but doesn't actually matter in practice.
>>
>>342550358
tearing is not imperceptible. You see it no matter how blind you are.
>>
File: GTX1070Car_678x452.jpg (23 KB, 678x419) Image search: [Google]
GTX1070Car_678x452.jpg
23 KB, 678x419
>>342549359
If a got a good gpu (gtx1070/1080) and a 144hz monitor that does not have g-sync or freesync, will I have problems with screen tearing or the card can solve this by itself?
>>
>>342550672
The post didn't say it wasn't.
>>
>>342550827
Just adjust your v-sync settings.
>>
>>342551058
No matter how you do if it skips one frame your frame rate is cut in have no matter how you look at it.
>>
>>342551474
If your card can't keep up, none of the technologies will prevent the game from sucking.
>>
>>342551714

g-sync is best played at 45fps. Has the least amount of latency.
>>
>>342549359
Gsyncing doesn't mean shit when you can hit 120hz vsynced
>>
frame syncing tech is really fucking awesome.

Gsync or freesync, the differences between them aren't important imo. Get whichever brand you require.

definitely not a meme tho

>>342550827
If you're going to spent a bunch of money on a new good gpu and a 144hz monitor, you really might as well spend the money on frame syncing. Fuckin do it.
>>
>>342552257
Who told you this? G-sync works best at 45FPS.
>>
>>342551714
yes but frame syncing makes playing games at low framerate bearable.

I don't mind playing games at <30fps or <60fps on my 144hz monitor because of gsync, but playing <30fps on a console makes me want to fucking vomit.

>>342552706
He means if you're always hitting your max framerate, you don't need gsync.

The way games are now though, unless it's really well written, you're going to eventually get some frame hiccups and you're not going to hit 120/144 all the time in every game.
>>
For 1080p g-sync isn't really worth it, just get a 144hz monitor and the best gpu you can afford. For 1440p or higher g-sync/freesync is nice
>>
>>342552857
If you are always hitting your max you are getting shuttering or tearing. as the frame rate is changing from lets say 120fps to 200 fps.
>>
>>342554325
If your frame rate is capped due to v-sync, and your monitor can hit 120 or 144hz, then the benefit is infinitesimal, and simply not worth the added expense. That is if you're going the G-sync route.
>>
>>342549359
They both do the same thing. They match your monitors refresh rate to the frames put out by your GPU. It's similar to vysnc but comes with no input lag penalty. Freesync ranges tend to vary wildly depending on the monitor, while gsync just werks. However gsync adds an additional $200 or so to the cost of the monitor. Quality wise, they're both pretty much equal.
>>
>People actually recommending vsync
Enjoy your input lag faggots
>>
>>342549359
Can't speak for Freesync, as I've never tried it.

But in my experience:

>V-sync is shit, ruins frame time if not framerate as well, also doesn't always eliminate tearing.

>G-sync is glorious, I have never seen a tear whilst using it and it seems to even out frame time such that even lower framerates feel much, much smoother.
>I would go as far as to say 45fps with gsync on feels like 60fps without.

Personally I would never buy a gaming monitor without gsync, given I always run Nvidea GPUs these days.
>>
>>342550358
v-sync is completely different from g-sync and freesync
>>
>>342549359

>G-Sync
Nvidia only
Adds $100-200 to the cost of the monitor

>Freesync
AMD mainly, but open source, so Nvidia could use it but they love pushing their overpriced alternative
Adds almost nothing to the cost of the monitor past the cost of the parts to integrate it.
>>
>>342554485
Yes but then you run into your monitor skipping/missing to display a frame during its cycle. If that happen your monitor has to wait for a full cycle and if it skips again it cut down to a fourth. and now you are running at 30FPS.
>>
>>342549359
adaptive sync is a vesa standard. g sync is pure price gouging.
>>
It better to just wait for performance patch from the game devs.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.