[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, speaking as a strategy gamer to other strategy gamers(Or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: suntzuartofwar.jpg (112 KB, 1400x2256) Image search: [Google]
suntzuartofwar.jpg
112 KB, 1400x2256
So, speaking as a strategy gamer to other strategy gamers(Or just gamers in general), Id like to know how many of you have read Sun Tzus art of war and how has it affected you when your playing game play?

I personally feel since reading it and gaining a understanding of it, I have moved to improve my gameplay, scout more often, and be more tactical in my plans.
>>
Haven't read it yet, but I have always wondered if it could be applied to vidya.

Which translation did you read?
>>
File: ken_sama[1].jpg (19 KB, 600x279) Image search: [Google]
ken_sama[1].jpg
19 KB, 600x279
Is that you, Ken-sama?
>>
>>342548764
Read it and honestly its mostly just common sense stuff that people take for granted and waxes poetry at time.
Stuff like don't over extend, attack the weakest part of your enemy and not the strongest, make them come to you so they will be tired, only promote the people who are skilled not who you like and so on.
>>
>>342550792
This.
It's mostly common sense and basics of strategy.
>>
>>342549826

Lionel Giles. Is there a major difference in translations? Mine was cheap so I'm not sure.

The Art of War is applicable in a lot of things. While it has some dated terminology(It was written in a time where Chariots were still a thing) its written in a way that makes it applicable in just about everything.

In example, choosing the best time to fight and not to fight. To conserve strength or go for the kill.

>>342551313

True, but its not always common sense and while its easy to just say "don't over extend yourself" its not always a detailed understanding.
>>
>>342549968
That nigga was chinese not japanese...
>>
>>342548764
It's common sense and basic strategy today, which means he probably invented these if this book's so successful (which means generals were morons back then).
The genius parts like
> letting an escape route for the enemy so you can run them down when they flee instead of fighting soldiers who's ready to die.
> using all sorts of spies, double agents, triple agents, set up agents, prisoner agents
> terrain manipulation
Doesn't translate well in vidya form because no strategy game is that complex.
>>
>>342552056
Aren't there some strategy games with like obscene amounts of depth though?

At the very least something like a 20 man Age of Empires II Game (via some mods) could have his tactics applied.
>>
>>342551608
LAOTIAN
>>
I mean, a lot of it is just common sense and I think influence military doctrine and ideals that even someone who isn't in the military has picked up many lessons just through general media. That being said, there are some good lessons for approaching strategy in games and helping you in games with actual battles, but that being said it's much like any military codex. I think games especially can benefit from their lessons, but in the end you need to focus more on the individual games mechanics.
>>
>>342548764
It's babby's first big book of war
>>
>>342552392
That being said, I personally think most games benefit from a more guerrilla warfare style of combat and found readings on that too be more helpful. Destroy your enemies' numerical advantage, sabotage their economies and supply lines, wear them down slowly and control engagements.
>>
>>342552457
>babby's first

I fucking hate this shit. Can't there be some value in a thing having a easier barrier of entry, or being a good start point.

I don't get why being a manageable work needs to invalidate something.
>>
>>342548764
Deception is the 1st rule etc.

Yeah I've read it, it hasn't effect shit in MOST games it's somewhat usefull in tactical shit though

the part about leaving a bait and of course the 1st rule are the ONLY think you can apply to vidya
>>
>>342552457
The first step is the most important step. The Art of War is the foundation upon which all other strategy and tactics are laid upon. It's genius lies in it's simplicity, efficiency and relevancy even today.
You're not gonna belittle a 2400 years old work of literature in a Nepalese paper folding sharing site, anon.
>>
>>342552309
So is he Chinese or Japanese??
>>
>>342552457
What comes after the art of war?
>>
>>342553549
the kino of war
>>
>>342553549
The Prince
and More on the art of war, written by sun tzu's son or some shit
>>
>>342553549
book of 5 rings
>>
File: kratos.gif (2 MB, 244x244) Image search: [Google]
kratos.gif
2 MB, 244x244
>>342553549
>>
>>342551443
>>342551313
>>342550792
Yeah, that's why "The Art of War" is considered important in the first place.
Basics and shit
>>
I have read it as well as many kike strat books and other machiavellian shit and I dont think it affected my playing in anyway, but its only because of my choice of genre. I mean, how am I even going to apply all this shite on Animal Crossing and Rune Factory? It affected me more on social aspects. People started liking me more, but in vidya? Not really. I mean yeah in multiplayers, there's "deception is key", "use spies", "dont be the one to crimb the mountain", but I still resort to gut instincts and experience and player patterns most of the time.
>>
>>342553549
Your rise to power, anon.
>>
>>342548764
>1 post by this IP
>>
File: on_war.jpg (67 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
on_war.jpg
67 KB, 395x600
>>342553549
Eventually? On War, then the works of Hart, et al.

>>342552918
Of course it has value, but you have to remember that the lessons have permeated through military thought for over two millennia.

It's worth a read, but it's a bit of a meme book. Take it for what it is - Strategy 101.
>>
>>342552056
>> letting an escape route for the enemy so you can run them down when they flee instead of fighting soldiers who's ready to die.

that applies to older total war games
back before warscape engine, enemies that were completely surrounded would fight to the death, usually inflicting a ton of casualties on the surrounding troops.
But if you let a flank open, they would panic and run away, letting you run them down with light cavalry at your leisure.
>>
File: 9780192835826-uk.jpg (28 KB, 312x500) Image search: [Google]
9780192835826-uk.jpg
28 KB, 312x500
>>342554260
Actually, I skipped a step.

Read some books on Rome first, like Caesar's Commentary on the Gallic War.
>>
>>342554948
Just remember who wrote it and how much he likes to jack off to himself. Great read, otherwise.
>>
>>342552056
Works decent in some games. Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 and Dominions 4 can get pretty in depth.
>>
>>342555112
>not wanting to jack off Gaius Julius Caesar
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.