[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a indie game, made by players like me, has deeper values
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 21
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102 KB, 1920x1080
>a indie game, made by players like me, has deeper values and gives me more good time than literally 99% of the games released by actual big developers in the past years

I feel like I have been giving my money to the wrong people.
At some point I thought that nowadays games just didnt feel as good as they were years ago because I was getting older but after playing games like Lisa I now understand that my age isnt the problem. Its not nostalgia.

I see now that its still possible to make a good game , even with a group of 5 people. Yet the big companies with shitton of budgets fail to make anything worth the price.
Never backed anything on Kickstarter but now I'm pretty sure it could be a way better investment of my money.
>>
lisa best indie rpg
>>
True, good games are timeless and always enjoyable. It can be difficult to find them with the market being flooded these days, and with various fads distracting from them.
>>
Gameplay could have been better but the story grips you so hard you don't care.
>>
I really liked the "Gotta Catch Em All" aspect of party management, especially since everyone was very unique in terms of skills and stats.
>>
>>342537461
Why bother spending millions of dollars on AAA games to make them fun, when you can do the bare minimum and still come out with a profit?

I blame the buyers for allowing this practice to live on.
>>
File: Splatoon laughter.jpg (19 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
Splatoon laughter.jpg
19 KB, 235x215
>Dingaling is still shilling his shitty indie game on /v/.

It really frustrates me that people caught on to Fox's bullshit but not yours.
>>
>>342540808
Exactly, people who keeps giving them money are the heart of the problem.
But it's hard to blame them because hopes for the best are hard to let go.
>>
File: buddy and bolo.png (213 KB, 475x675) Image search: [Google]
buddy and bolo.png
213 KB, 475x675
Any news on Ninja Tears yet?
>>
The big companies with a shitton of budgets fail precisely BECAUSE they have too much money and too many people.

-management is either inept (providing no vision/leadership) or outright damaging to the game (WHY FIX BUGS/MAKE GOOD CONTENT WHEN MODDERS WILL DO IT FOR FREE? -t. odd howard)
-200 man teams means too much toxic bureacracy/networking barriers. Take, for example, Ubishit games: Asscreed is made by a team spanning three different continents! It ends up with nobody giving a shit because there's no community, nobody actually feels invested in the game, and ultimately it's just some piece of shit half-broken shovelware product they put minimal effort into and only punch it to collect their paychecks.

5 man developer team? There's a clearly shared vision. They all feel like they're contributing, and nobody is waiting on Team B who is waiting on Team C to get approval from Boss D who is fighting with Boss E and those two cocksuckers are sabotaging the whole game development (don't worry, we can just drop another million into Marketing and hire more internet shills! -Brad from Chad)
>>
>>342540808
>bare minimum
you're talking about LISA, right?
an rpg maker game that uses a completely stock battle system with a meaningless copy+paste combo script.
completely stock sound effects, and mediocre retro pixel art
>>
One of the best games i've played in years. Worth every penny. Would recommend.
>>
File: lisathepainful.jpg (679 KB, 1280x1810) Image search: [Google]
lisathepainful.jpg
679 KB, 1280x1810
>>342541746
Fuck I wasnt even aware he was planning another game.
Guess its about time.
>>
>>342537461
fuck off shill
>>
File: 1466226476961.gif (33 KB, 346x358) Image search: [Google]
1466226476961.gif
33 KB, 346x358
Yo does anyone have a link to the LISA OST?
>>
>>342542324
If you got the Painful + Joyful you should have it already.
>>
>>342537461
Why is /v/ the only place that cares about this shitty game?
So much fucking shilling
>>
>>342537461
It's not just about deeper values. It's about deeper games/mechanics in general.

Nowadays, an AAA game will be made to appease as large of an audience as possible. With the exception of just a few games, they WILL be trying to appease the lowest common denominator; they WILL be casualizing somewhat. I'm not really talking about difficulty - I'm talking about depth of mechanics, complexity, and the amount of thought required.

Indie games (especially freeware games) don't need to appease a large audience. They are made closer to the dev's wishes; they represent a true outlet of ideas, and not a bland muddle of market research.

In general, it is indie games that have interested me more in recent years than AAA games. /v/ may hate indies because a few outspoken devs, but on the whole, indie devs are doing much more interesting things than anything AAA devs have done recently.
>>
>>342537461
>players like you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbt_JytZSg
Don't bring dingaling down to your mong level
>>
File: MSWUV.png (394 KB, 556x450) Image search: [Google]
MSWUV.png
394 KB, 556x450
>>342542602
>deeper mechanics
>LISA
it's using the default rpg maker battle engine.
>>
>>342542538
You clearly don't know what shilling is.
>>
>>342542925
I'm talking about indie games in general (should have made that more clear). Yes, LISA's battle system is incredibly shallow, but it has other things going for it that AAA games wouldn't touch.
>>
Was thinking about getting this.

Should i get The joyful too?
>>
>>342543028
Yeah get both.
i would also tell you to look for the first Lisa but that one is so fucking vague about things it wont make much of a difference.
>>
Excluding the Souls series, the last few games I've really sunk a lot of time into are Hotline Miami 1&2, Darkest Dungeon, Risk of Rain, Lisa and Brigador.

I don't care if the market crashes. People will still be making good vidya.
>>
>>342543028
Yeah. They're both pretty good, especially for $8.49 for the soundtrack and Joyful.

Just Joyful alongside base game is just 20 cents less than the package.

Though Joyful isn't as great as Painful. Music's fine as hell though.
>>
File: Shantae-Anim.gif (15 KB, 74x80) Image search: [Google]
Shantae-Anim.gif
15 KB, 74x80
The Shantae series has given me more fun and enjoyment than I have had with a platformer since I was a kid.
>>
I'm still upset at how Undertale somehow got more praise than LISA did.

LISA was an infinitely more superior experience. The endings shit wasn't even as "mindblowing" as retards made it seem in the endless threads after I finally played Undertale.

LISA is a better game.
>>
>>342543614
They aren't all that comparable anyway.
>>
File: Armstrong Xmas.png (1 MB, 1098x1200) Image search: [Google]
Armstrong Xmas.png
1 MB, 1098x1200
>>342543028

Go for it. Someone recently made a mod for Joyful, so you can replay it after you played the vanilla joyful if you liked it.

>>342543954

Why do people compare it so much? Is it because they're both RPGs? They're different stories with different tones and themes.
>>
>>342543614
Feel-good stuff is more popular than depressing things.

Plus that, the game doesn't have 50 million furry waifus and is about a world without women, so a lot of shitters can't cling on to it to praise it for really insignificant things.

I prefer it this way.
>>
>>342543614
People praise Undertale for its take on morality, but honestly, Iji did stuff like this earlier, in a far better way.

Not sure how LISA does it; haven't played it yet.
>>
>>342544247
Indie game, RPG, came out within a year, made by a very small team (or just one guy), and a lot of people shove it in the "Earthbound-like" genre.

Even then, it's like comparing bananas and grapes. They're both fruits, but in no way similar to each other aside from that.
>>
>>342544448
Morality in Lisa is weird.

People just want to survive, there's a lot of dipshits and bastards, but nothing really deserving of "evil" aside from a small handful of people, but no one is really good either. A big mesh of grey morality, if you will.

Except for Rando. He's pretty great.
>>
>>342544657
Only Earthbound inspired thing in LISA is the humor component in a dark setting.
>>
File: buddy3.png (102 KB, 501x810) Image search: [Google]
buddy3.png
102 KB, 501x810
>>342543614
I know that feel.
But its just how the majority of people work.
They see a cute character talking to cute animals with a gameplay and plot so easy and simple that even newborn babies can understand, and they love it.
Sadly most people like those simple games, they don't wanna have to use their brains.

But to be honest I guess its for the best. If Lisa got that popular instead I think the fanbase would have gone to shit too.

>>342544247
>Someone recently made a mod for Joyful

Wait, mod for what?
>>
>>342544964
Rando's failing is that he didn't admit he wasn't fit to lead jack shit. He was too beta for a macho world.
>>
File: image.png (43 KB, 704x926) Image search: [Google]
image.png
43 KB, 704x926
>>342544964

I'd say that the majority of people in Lisa are evil, since most of them are will attempt to rape Buddy as soon as they see her.

>>342545073

Joyful is a DLC for Painful. Someone made a mod for that DLC adding new areas to explore and new enemies to fight. I haven't tried it out yet, so I don't know if it's any good or not.

>>342545112

He was doing ok before Buddy showed up. He led an army for at least ten years.
>>
>>342537461
In the middle of a play through. Wish I didn't see this spoiler. Thanks OP.
>>
>>342545467
Is that really their fault though? Imagine
having no women for 5+ years and seeing one in real life, after fantasizing about them all those years. Sex drive is powerful.
>>
File: LISA.gif (470 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
LISA.gif
470 KB, 200x200
>>342545701
The game takes at most 10 hours your very first time playing
The fuck are you doing nigger
>>
>>342545701
Thats not really a spoiler.
>going through Lisa threads not expecting to find a spoiler
>>
>>342546108
It's the op image. I was scrolling the catalog.
>>
>>342545791

It's a good reason, but that doesn't justify it.

It'd be like being trapped in a place with people who have been starving for months deciding they want to cook you up for dinner. They have a good reason to eat you, but it's still wrong to do.

>>342546015

Maybe he didn't plan on playing it on one sitting and was going to keep going later.
>>
>>342545467
>>342545467
>adding new areas to explore and new enemies to fight

Wasnt expecting a mod to be made for that game.
Maybe fangames but not mods.
>>
I love LISA but threads like these make me cringe like a mother fucker. Just stop already.
>>
>>342546209
Just keep playing son.
OP's pic is barely a spoiler.
I've seen that pic before myself before playing the game and its nothing compared to everything else that happens. If you search google for Lisa its one of the first pics that shows up too.
>>
File: tumblr_ns8clvsAoG1u8caaeo1_1280.png (568 KB, 640x484) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns8clvsAoG1u8caaeo1_1280.png
568 KB, 640x484
>>342546351

I think some people are working on a fangames, but they've been relatively quiet so either the projects died or they're just not wanting a lot of publicity until the thing is actually ready.
>>
>12 years later
>free
>still the greatest indie ever made
How did pixel do it?
>>
Did we ever figure out who Sweetheart was?
>>
>>342546696
she was scary as fuck
>>
File: Big_bro.jpg (516 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
Big_bro.jpg
516 KB, 800x550
>>342546565
Got a link to the mod?
>>342546652
Idk. Pixel is a god. Motherfucker wrote a custom music program for the game.
>>342546696
No. All theories have been denied by dingaling.
>>
It was $2.49 during the winter sale and it's $4.99 now.

It's a shame because I probably would have bought this game today if they hadn't raised the price.
>>
OFF is better. Also the Batter could kick Brad's ass any day.
>>
>>342547021
OFF was greato but more lacking in the gameplay department.

Batter vs Brad would be an interesting match though
>>
>>342537461
>a indie game, made by players like me,
change that to
>an indie game, made for players like me

Indie games have the advantage of a smaller target audience. AAA games can't risk not appealling to almost everyone when there's tens or hundreds of millions of dollars on the line
>>
File: image.png (248 KB, 1056x5590) Image search: [Google]
image.png
248 KB, 1056x5590
>>342546854

There are multiple mods, but Arkantos has Pruf's Mod and Hell Mode included in it, so I recommend getting Arkantos.

http://indiegame.booru.org/index.php?page=forum&s=view&id=11
>>
File: 1446864599120.gif (321 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1446864599120.gif
321 KB, 400x225
>>342547021
The fanbase on tumblr ruined its reputation, luckily they moved on to other shit like they normally do.
>>
>>342547021
>real time rpg combat
no
>>
File: tumblr_mlknc8JAKX1rg7y19o1_500.png (23 KB, 449x636) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlknc8JAKX1rg7y19o1_500.png
23 KB, 449x636
>>342547021
They are different games with they're own pros and cons. OFF takes a more psychological approach to story while LISA takes a more personal story.
DESIRE TO PURIFY INTENSIFIES
>>
File: 1451408655923.jpg (89 KB, 745x717) Image search: [Google]
1451408655923.jpg
89 KB, 745x717
>>342543614

Both Fanbases are pretty shit, but at least LISA isn't as autistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_xm2B16tQ
>>
>>342547139
>Batter vs Brad would be an interesting match though
Not even close. Batter is so much more powerful it isn't even funny. Hell even extremely early on in the game he goes around fighting fucking whales.
>>
>>342541746
He's posted a bunch of funky looking concept art on his twitter
>>
>>342547562
Not really a fair comparison with how huge undertale became, seems likes its dying down now.
>>
>>342547021
>Batter could kick Brad's ass any day

Theres literally no way to know exactly how strong Batter really is because the game is so vague about everything.
But Brad you know that he can beat a lot of people without using his arms.
>>
>>342547562
That SFM is prerty cool
>>
>>342547139
>>342547868
Yeah, it's not really a competition. When you look at each of their greatest achievements in combat batter wins every time.
Most Brad has done is kill mutants, random people around the world, and Randos entire army.
Most the batter has done is kill ghosts, the leader of each area, the Queen of the world, and the judge.
The batter is just plain stronger and when you take into account that he can level up to 40 it's not even a fight.
>>
>>342547868
You cant really say he is so powerful when you dont even understand what reality he exists.
And depending on your choices near the end of the game you can find out that the cat has world-ending skills that he can use in battle.
>>
LISA would have been MUCH, MUCH better if there was party chat.
>>
>>342548548
what if Brad uses Joy? does the factor change?

I agree batter would totally own Brad but it'd be a pretty brutal fight
>>
>>342550970

Can RPGmaker games support party chat?
>>
>>342549810
Just look at things that are quantifiable. Zone 0 says that the 3 leaders + (I think) the Queen shaped the world. They carved away at the rock and built the zones by hand. The first dispatches spectres easier it seems than the batter. The second easily kills Valerie, a being related to the judge who, as you said, has world ending abilities, and the third leader is literally impossible to kill unless you tire him. These are beings of immense strength as evidenced by the fact that they created the zones by themselves and yet the batter purifies them all. Then there's gray area characters who are strong but not quantifiably so like the judge and suger.
Brad on the other hand simply kills other men. The strongest thing he fights are the joy mutantsand randos army. And while yes he does it armless, the mutants are fought with the party and not by Brad alone. And before you say "but the batter had help" those were add ons. They enhanced the batter. Randos army is taken out while Brad is becoming a joy mutants and isn't human at that point. Brad isn't even the strongest being in the game. That title goes to Buzzo who kills Brad and his party quickly. Unlike the batter who is the most powerful being in OFF.
tl:dr the batter is more powerful because he kills more powerful things.
>>
>>342551610
Fuck I meant the room, not zone 0.
>>342551049
Joy does make Brad stronger, but not invincible as he is incapacitated by the fight randos army put up.
>>
>>342550970
Isnt party chat the system that lets you talk to your part memebers inside cities?
I dont think that would work in Lisa.
>>
>>342537461
So it's worth $5 on steam right now?

I rarely play indie games. Last one I played (finished) was transistor which was great. I also ended up buying undertale because of you (and friends) and ended up regretting it so bad.
>>
>>342553409

What didn't you like about Undertale (as in the actual game, not the fanbase)?
>>
>>342553956
I played maybe 5 hours and just found it boring. Couldn't get into the story or memes. There was no gameplay and that's like the one thing I ask for in games. Soundtrack was GOAT though for what I played, so i ended up just pirating the soundtrack and I listen to it often now.
>>
>>342553409
OP here. Also loved Transistor and highly recommend Lisa.
Undertale is extremely overrated by the fanbase so I'm sorry you feel for it.
The OST was high tier though.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1099x849) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1099x849
>>342554168

The gameplay in Lisa is mainly standard RPG combat (take turns attacking, kill enemies, get money to spend on weapons/armor,etc.) You can probably find a video of gameplay pretty easily on youtube if you haven't played RPGs much. There are 25 potential party members, so you got a lot of flexibility in what kind of party you make.

Story is you play Brad, a drug addict living in a wasteland with no women in it. He finds an abandoned baby girl and raises her as his daughter. When she's older (maybe about 12-13 years old) he come home to find a bunch of dead bodies, the fallout of a bloody fight, and your daughter gone. So Brad goes on an adventure to save his daughter before she gets raped and/or killed by the various sexually frustrated perverts and strange monsters lurking in the wasteland.

The game doesn't have too much memes, but some are in there because it's a kickstarter game and some of the donators got NPCs that could say a custom line of their choosing. The guy who made the game is a big fan of wrestling, so some people are references to wrestlers, but if you're not familiar with that stuff, they'll just seem like ordinary characters.

Soundtrack is pretty great, I'd say you should go for it and get it.
>>
>>342537461
Lisa is bad though.
>>
LISA is like the "Requiem for a Dream" of RPGs

I enjoyed playing it, but I never want to play it again

The final fight against Rando made me almost vomit
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.