[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which game had the better (or at least the less worse) love story?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 23
File: 250px-Ffxboxart.jpg (89 KB, 659x365) Image search: [Google]
250px-Ffxboxart.jpg
89 KB, 659x365
Which game had the better (or at least the less worse) love story?
>>
>>342484004

Good question, OP. I think they were equally bad.
>>
File: 1446187182269.png (430 KB, 586x700) Image search: [Google]
1446187182269.png
430 KB, 586x700
The love story is pointless in both of them. They're both equally as bad in that department.
>>
>>342484398
I would still argue that X is better because VIII had Rinoa. But I want to hear what the rest of /v/ thinks.
>>
>>342484520
But the love story has the biggest focus in both of them.
>>
File: 1465173699183.jpg (48 KB, 454x1000) Image search: [Google]
1465173699183.jpg
48 KB, 454x1000
>>342484556

Yuna is exactly the same as Rinoa. I'd personally say she's worse, since in FFVIII, Squall is still the focus of the plot, despite Rinoa being shoe-horned in. While in FFX, Tidus is literally following Yuna for 90% of the game and not the focus until you get the airship. Making 90% of the story just pointless world building.
>>
>>342484960
Post more tatoes
>>
>>342484960
Yuna was the key to ending the dilemma though. Tidus couldn't do shit by himself and didn't have any special powers to him.
>>
IV
>>
>>342484004
FFVIII because it's a double love story: Laguna x Julia being reunited by their respective children, Squall x Rinoa.
>>
File: 1454864065791.jpg (158 KB, 1000x1478) Image search: [Google]
1454864065791.jpg
158 KB, 1000x1478
>>342484960
>Yuna is exactly the same as Rinoa.

No she's not. Yuna is more shy/introverted while Rinoa is much louder and more outgoing.

>Squall is still the focus of the plot, despite Rinoa being shoe-horned in.

Which makes Rinoa even worse due to her dragging down an otherwise tolerable story.

>While in FFX, Tidus is literally following Yuna for 90% of the game and not the focus until you get the airship.

But that's the point, we're experiencing the world and story from Tidus's point of view. It's like with Vaan, except Tidus was the main character from the get go and wasn't a half-asssed attempt at appealing to teen girls/faggots.
>>
File: 1465008277236.jpg (59 KB, 295x304) Image search: [Google]
1465008277236.jpg
59 KB, 295x304
>>342484004
>GUYS IT TURNS OUT WE WERE ALL RAISED IN THE SAME ORPHANAGE AND JUST CONVENIENTLY FORGOT
>why does this matter at all
>...
>>
>>342484960
Rinoa is not 'shoehorned in', she has a significant impact on Squall's character development.
>>
>>342484004
X and it's not even close. X's love story is one of the best told in video games.
>>
I'll say VIII because X's love story was a bit uneventful. Not that I like Rinoa more than Yuna though.
>>
>>342485582
Just because it wasn't all over the place like VIII doesn't make it "uneventful".
>>
File: 1466117791963.jpg (167 KB, 550x909) Image search: [Google]
1466117791963.jpg
167 KB, 550x909
>>342485146

Yuna is only key because she can summon. And even then, its a weak story point, since you can skip half the summons and Yu Yevon will still get his 'plot trigger' activated. Yuna could be replaced with literally any summoner and have the same effect.

Outside of the final battle. the ony plot relevance Yuna has is taking Tidus on a long (and ultimately pointless) journey to see the world. As well as being cousins with Rikku, who has the airship. All of that could have been avoided since Tidus met Rikku right at the beginning and was literally headed to where the airship was. Until another convenient (pointless) plot trigger threw him off the boat.

In FFVIII, most of the first two disks focus on Squall. Rinoa doesn't have much of a point until Disk 3. And then, its mostly just a trigger to get Squall to care about things. Which he already was caring by that time.
>>
>>342485394

>guys, turns out we're all orphans chosen by a crystal
>FFIII

>guys, turns out both Cecil, Golbaz and Edge are children of the moon so its okay they were being used
>FFIV

>guys, Terra is a half breed Esper so its okay she's been running away from her role
>FFVI

>Guys, turns out Cloud is infused with the memories of a dead guy and mako, so its okay he keeps breaking down and falling for Sephy's act

Let's just admit that almost every FF game has a shitty plot twist.
>>
>>342485739
it was mostly the rest of the team who wanted Squall to open up, and forced the pair up with Rinoa. Eventually Squall just feels guilty after Rinoa goes into a coma and develops feelings from there.
>>
>>342484004
X didn't really focus on the "love" part of the story; it was really down to a focus on Tidus learning shit about the fucked up religion screwing over everyone and burying the hatchet with his dad. Tidus and Yuna just hit it off right away and gradually went from quick friends to being dear to one another and helping each other through their little personal issues.

Squall was an emotional wreck who thought to just put away his feelings and occupy himself with work. Rinoa was actually a rather shallow person, a typical teenage girl with upper class parents and a flippant desire to fight for a cause. It was a very dysfunctional relationship, sort of interesting but not really. Squall's experience in SeeD with everyone else and Rinoa constantly grabbing his attention caused him to open up eventually over time.

The real interesting part of 8 was how Rinoa in all her shallowness, was really just a plot point that fleshed out the motivations and character of Ultimecia, a sorceress who had once felt the same things Rinoa did. Despite rarely showing up in the game directly, Ultimecia was the end result of Rinoa (no they're not the same person) in that Ultimecia was always alone and figured if everyone hates her and will always be out to kill her, she may as well try something in which she has control over her own destiny and is alone on her own terms. Rinoa as a normal girl becoming a sorceress didn't want to be alone or hated, Ultimecia being hunted as a sorceress before she was even born knew nothing but being alone and hated.

In the time loop that Ultimecia and Squall cause, there's a really twisted "love" story there. Ultimecia is obsessed with killing Squall because he's the one destined to defeat her, and despite knowing of this destined event, she awaits him.
>>
>>342486041
At least those twists had some relevance to the plot.
>>
>>342485670

Literally nothing happens between Yuna and Tidus to make them fall in love aside from looking at each other with teenage lust. Then out of nowhere, they hug in a pool. Because of this, we're suppose to believe Tidus and Yuna will die for each other, let alone Yuna's love is so strong, she makes a projection of fayth become a real person.

Even for a fantasy story, it breaks the suspension of disbelief hard.
>>
>>342486069
>it was mostly the rest of the team who wanted Squall to open up, and forced the pair up with Rinoa.

That always simultaneously annoyed the shit out of me and made me laugh my ass off. I love it when people tell me FFVIII's romance was "well written", it instantly let's me know whose opinion I can disregard from then on.
>>
IX because it's unobtrusive and just something that happenes between two well developed characters rather than trying to suffocate you with it and getting in the way of the main plot.
>>
>>342486190

FFIII is literally the exact same thing. The only thing that redeems it is you are told you are orphans right from the start. But it still doesn't do anything to improve the plot or characters. And FFIII has one of the most boring plots in the series.
>>
>>342486276
And what about Squall and Rinoa? For the first two discs Squall wanted absolutely nothing to do with her but she kept forcing herself on him like the spoiled brat she is, and for literally no reason whatsoever the rest of the cast had to try and force them together too. Then he just falls in love with her after she falls into a coma. Say what you will about X's love story but you cannot convince me VIII's was any better.
>>
I liked FFXII because of the politics centered plot and very minimal romance

I'm glad that they confirmed that XV will have next to no romance as well
>>
>>342486420
>two well developed characters
Yes, Steiner & Beatrix are great.
>>
File: FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg (102 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg
102 KB, 500x500
>>342486679

Considering right at the top of this thread I said both games had an equally bad love story, I'm not trying to argue FFVIII was better. I will argue however that FFX as a whole had a worse story, since its suppose to be 'Tidus' story', and yet 90% of it is focused on Yuna's journey. With very little development for Tidus except at a few key points. While in FFVIII, Squall remains the focus throughout.
>>
>>342487172
I couldn't tell it was you because you made a new post. I can understand X having a worse overall plot than VIII, but I still maintain that VIII's romance was worse.
>>
>>342486943
Steiner is a cuck
>>
>>342486276

have you even played the game?

They flirt the entire game. Tidus starts to feel comfort in Yuna because she's something he feels safe with in a world where everything is dangerous and new.

Literally everbody other than Wakka, Rikku and Yuna make Tidus feel like he's in danger or an asshole, and even Rikku fucked him up when he first met her.

In case you're 13; people usually fall in love with people who they can just be 100% themselves with.
>>
They're both pretty bad.

VIII felt like it had more focus on the love story, and both Rinoa and Squall are very well developed characters, but the point where Squall realizes he's interested in Rinoa comes out of nowhere. It's like they just decided to skip the second act of their romance and just progress straight from interest to confessions of undying love.

X, however, had a romance that's just sort of there. It completes all of its steps in a way that VIII never did, but it doesn't feel as strong.
>>
>>342486924
I wish XII's gameplay wasn't so unengaging and the licence board didn't suck so much ass.
>>
File: 1450689609281.gif (82 KB, 320x272) Image search: [Google]
1450689609281.gif
82 KB, 320x272
>>342484004
Played FF VIII after X and liked VIII much more when it comes to story or visual style.
The game had awesome realistic art style, thanks to rendered backgrounds everything looked much more interesting.
The idea of a world when alongside magic existed very regular things like bars, press offices, trains, computers, cafeteria which looked very familiar, peaceful doctor office with curtain waving on the wind.
It was an incredible mix of realism and fantasy.
FF X in that regard felt like a big village where everyone telling you constantly how machines are haram.
Combat system cannot compare to FFX but exploration, art style, world and story, comfy feeling, all of that beats FFX.

That said FFX is still one of the finest JRPG there are, its just FF VIII did things to me no other JRPG can compare.
>>
>>342487525
>and both Rinoa and Squall are very well developed characters

Okay I'll give you Squall, but Rinoa is well developed? Really nigga?
>>
>>342487619
We're talking about romance here. But VIII had a shit magic system that was retardedly broken and replaced your regular equipment and LEVEL SCALING but was otherwise better than X, which was a hallway simulator with 10 minutes of gameplay every 30 minutes of UNSKIPPABLE cutscenes.
>>
>>342484004
I liked FFX's romance because it's more like puppy love between two people who always have some stupid impediment in the way. Of course Yuna's attracted to Fuckboi McGee, she's lived on some podunk island for 90% of her life and she can't even have a meaningful romantic relationship because she's just gonna die in a year.

But then whenever it focuses more on how they're starcrossed lovers or some shit, that's when it gets dumb. I'm always more fascinated by people that have to deal with their romantic feelings but it's not the most important thing in their life, if that makes sense.
>>
>>342487491

>have you even played the game?
Every FF thread.
>>
>>342487954
That's true. If there's one thing I liked about VII's romance it's that despite it not being the main focus it felt the most believable. Aeris was naturally flirty and liked Cloud mostly because he reminded her of Zack, but the more she got to know him the more she wanted to get to know the REAL him. Unfortunately it was cut short before it went anywhere.
>>
File: 1460153147728.png (747 KB, 588x975) Image search: [Google]
1460153147728.png
747 KB, 588x975
>>342488258

Don't worry. The remake will fix that. Aeris will become savable while also having her shit AC personality.
>>
File: squinoa.jpg (616 KB, 900x603) Image search: [Google]
squinoa.jpg
616 KB, 900x603
>>342486679
>he didn't like her at all until spontaneously at the start of disc 3

When will this meme die? How do people have trouble understanding that she had been growing on him steadily since they met and he was too much of an emotionally clogged toilet of a human to tell her that until she was too in a coma to hear?

It makes perfect sense if you've ever been a socially dysfunctional NEET with a crush. Which is why I'm so surprised 90% of the weebs who play FF don't get this.
>>
>>342487172
Difference being that 8 is character driven from the very beginning. All of the key players in the story are directly involved with Squall. Ultimecia, Edea, Ellone, Laguna and Rinoa.

X is goal-driven. It's all about the Pilgrimage and Tidus confronting his dad, a sharing of focus between Tidus and Yuna (it only feels like mostly Yuna because the Pilgrimage is most of the game). Tidus and Yuna's goals coincide with one another, and the two of them are very open with each other, Tidus getting Yuna to loosen up and think for herself, and Yuna being pretty much the only person responding positively to Tidus's presence. It's natural that the two would get together.

>>342487646
It is a weird thing to consider, but the way in which Rinoa is a very prissy, shallow person who does all the things she does as an act of whimsy and personal interest makes her a very realized "realistic" character. She's a member of some idealistic rebel movement run by a couple fellow kids because she thinks her dad sucks and she's probably only able to afford to hire SeeD because of her dad's money. She takes to Squall at the dance for likely no reason greater than she thought he was cool looking.

Rinoa embodies a typical self-centered teenage girl... who then gets hit with a grave consequence of getting in over her head and gets a death sentence when the Sorceress powers are transferred to her and she has to grow up quick (and Squall along with her).
>>
>>342488647
>It makes perfect sense if you've ever been a socially dysfunctional NEET with a crush. Which is why I'm so surprised 90% of the weebs who play FF don't get this.

Because no girl would ever throw herself at them the way Rinoa does to Squall.
>>
>>342486924
Versus XIII was going to have next to no romance. It's pretty clear since they overhauled it that the Noctis/Luna relationship is going to play a major role. It's surely not going to be the main focus, but that's probably why it has a shot at actually being good.
>>
>>342488534
>characters who have been "fleshed out" over the course of multiple spinoffs and a big budgeted movie still have less personality than a PS1 game with notoriously shitty translation

You're doing it wrong, Square.
>>
File: 1450685767211.gif (247 KB, 448x480) Image search: [Google]
1450685767211.gif
247 KB, 448x480
>>342487949
At the end FFX was a bit of a tearjerker, probably come with better hardware and facial expression.
That said I think FFVIII wins in romance department, you get awesome ball scene, you get Squal rescuing Rinoa from giant lizards, getting to her on time in space, carrying her over large ass bridge.
We get Quistis obviously hinting at something without being all xxxdere about it.
There wasnt much romance in your usual sense of the word, just Squal trying his best at being a cuck without any expectations and just simple desire to end the mission.

In FFX when I answered that I prefer Lulu, she just fucking blew me off.
What kind of BS romance choice is that, if I am being shipped from the start, at least dont ask me who do I prefer if I have no say either way.
>>
>>342488761
>Versus XIII was going to have next to no romance.

So I assume Stella was just there for window-dressing and wasn't at all romantically tied to Noctis?
>>
Okay I've had this question ever since this came out and nobody has ever given me a satisfactory answer.

Why does everyone in FFX act so fucking weird?
Why is all the actor movement power-ranger-tier?
Everyone does shit that makes no fucking sense it's like a fever dream.
>>
>>342488991
Nomura always maintained that love stories disinterested him, and he wanted Noctis and Stella to have a platonic relationship that you don't really see between men and women in games.
>>
>>342489083
Well it's a fifteen year old game. MoCap was less developed then. So FFX ended up being squarely in the uncanny valley. That's really all there is to it.
>>
>>342484004
>less worse

FFX
>>
>>342488716
To be well developed a character would need to have a grip on reality and common sense, which Rinoa has neither. Remember that time she tried to trick an all-powerful sorceress into wearing an energy-sapping bracelet?
>>
File: 1466276072919.jpg (14 KB, 324x451) Image search: [Google]
1466276072919.jpg
14 KB, 324x451
>>342489232
Okay but that doesn't explain why people acted so fucking strange.
>>
>>342489083
>Why is all the actor movement power-ranger-tier?
Japanese acting. It's just the way they do it, over exaggerated as fuck, maybe stemming from some kabuki shit, I don't know. You can even see it in shit like Metal Gear, Resident Evil, whatever, whether it's fifteen years ago or one year ago. If it's from Japan, you'll see a lot of quick movements with immediate stops and everyone always "taking turns".
>>
>>342489147
Then why does every game he works on have a love story?
>>
>>342489284
>a character would need to have a grip on reality and common sense, which Rinoa has neither.
Well yeah, she's a dumb teenage girl. They fucking nailed it.
>>
>>342488534
You mean her shit CC personality, right? She wasn't that bad in AC besides being a bit blander than usual.
>>
>>342489427
But she's so infantile to the point where it breaks my suspension of disbelief. I get that a lot of teen girls are immature and stupid but Rinoa is literally a 5 year old girl in a 17 year old's body.
>>
>>342489371
Actually, quite the opposite. He's primarily only directed the Kingdom Hearts series, which if you'll recall is so romantically constipated that not only does the MC always seem to care more about his pretty male best friend than his cute apparent love interest, but even the countless canon Disney character couples in the series act bizarrely stilted and unromantic around each other.

Nomura genuinely is not interested in romance, and what elements there are of it in his games are clearly forced on him by higher-ups (or in the case of the Disney characters, Disney canon, and you can see how uncomfortable he is even with that).
>>
File: Rinoa.Heartilly.full.910362.jpg (633 KB, 1000x964) Image search: [Google]
Rinoa.Heartilly.full.910362.jpg
633 KB, 1000x964
everyone in this thread please stop saying bad things about Rinoa
thank you
>>
>>342484004
Rikku x Tidus was the greatest love story in any Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>342484004
X is better because they actually kiss
>>
>>342489685
Fuck you, get better taste.
>>
>>342484004
FFX
>>
So are Noctis and Luna gonna fuck?

Think about it. No FF romance has ever actually had a sexual component to it. Most Japanese romances don't have their characters fuck, for whatever reason. It's probably the biggest difference I see between how the west and east handle romance in games.

I wonder if, since they're trying to make FFXV more realistic and have characters who behave more like humans than ever before, wouldn't having a romance that actually has some sex in it make perfect sense?
>>
>>342489685
no
>>
File: quisti.jpg (181 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
quisti.jpg
181 KB, 1280x768
>>342489865
I LIKE QUISTIS TOO BUT NOBODY WAS BULLYING HER ONLY RINOA
>>
File: finalfantasy_dance.gif (517 KB, 400x291) Image search: [Google]
finalfantasy_dance.gif
517 KB, 400x291
>>342489083

SqaureEnix focuses on graphics, but not the subtleties requires to express those graphics well. Case in point, just look at all the shitty mini games in FFX like the chocobo race and lightning dodging. They likely spent months making the character models, then just a day coming up with the shitty gameplay that reuses the same model.

You have to look at a game like Dragon Quest VIII to see a PS2 game that goes out of its way to add unique character animations for every task. Where FFX reused that stupid blitzball hand gesture a hundred times, Dragon Quest VIII would come up with completely unique gestures only used in one cutscene.
>>
File: 1465708897124.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1465708897124.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>342490407
Okay but that still doesn't fucking answer why all the characters act like confused CWC-tier autists.
Jesus Christ it's like this every single time I ask.
>>
FF8 and FFX are actually very much alike

Despite the changes throughout the story, the goal from the start is always the same.

Defeat Sin/Sorceress.
>>
>>342490617

>>342489356 explained it perfectly already. There's really nothing deeper to it than that's just how Japanese acting works. Their live action acting is often just as stilted and weird and exaggerated and fake.
>>
>>342487949
I must be the only person who enjoyed Junctioning. Added a whole load of complexity to the game. Instead of HURR YOU LEVULLED UP, you actually had to think about what the best strategy would be to make each character the most powerful(provided you didn't use the walkthrough). It also increased playtime incredibly through fun minigames like Triple Triad. Not everything was a "put enemy to sleep and draw to 100" snorefest.

On top of that, it kinda fit the relatively "real" atmosphere that the game had. Every character was just a normal everyday person, increasing fighting skills only helped so much but infusing yourself with magic would obviously give you a leg up against others.
>>
>>342490617
Ignore him, he's just an autist looking to shit on FF whether it's actually relevant or not.

Anyway Jap games are notorious for their shitty writing and dialogue, Jap actors are notorious for being ridiculously over the top, and when you combine the two you get shit like FFX.
>>
>>342490617

Yes it does explain it. Its the same reason characters in GTA III look like unnatural freaks. You're apparently too thick to understand.
>>
>>342491150
The other FF games weren't nearly as bad. No other Japanese game I know is that bad.
it has nothing to do with the actors; they didn't write the script.

>>342491276
Learn to read, retard.
>>
>>342484004
i liked ffx because of the emotions tidus feels when he discovers yuna's gonna die in her journey
>>
>>342488917
>What kind of BS romance choice is that, if I am being shipped from the start, at least dont ask me who do I prefer if I have no say either way.

Because the plot demands that Tidus loves Yuna. And JRPGs (especially Final Fantasy) are linear as fuck in both story and gameplay.

>>342491146
Not really. You could just auto-junction and you'd be fine. It also had the same flaw as the materia system in that it made all your characters literally the same except for their limit breaks.
>>
>>342491307
>The other FF games weren't nearly as bad.

You must be wearing some pretty thick nostalgia goggles to be able to unironically think that.
>>
>>342491146
>Added a whole load of complexity to the game.
Kek, you actually just left with attack since using your magic would weaken you too much and there wasnt anything that could do more damage/time than simple fully junctioned attack.

>you actually had to think about what the best strategy would be to make each character the most powerful
Every single magic increases something, just find the one that boost life, str and speed and junction it.
There was no strategy involved, just junction the most powerful magic you come across to Squal and the rest what ever left.
>>
>>342491146
I think Junctioning was a good concept but its execution was utter shit.
Rather than just leveling up, you could modify a character's stats at will to suit a role and eventually make them strong overall as your summons got stronger. Instead, it was unbelievably easy to get to 255 in a stat from virtually the very beginning of the game. 255 strength and just pulverize everything with the basic attack from beginning to end.

And then Junction when paired with Drawing Magic (or using cards to stock magic) was tedious, effortless and lame.
>>
>>342489637
I remember being at that age and I'm pretty well adjusted. I had women throw themselves at me because every other choice was annoying or just too immature. Not to mention girls that age fucking love a messed up bad boy. I also remember them acting that way. Just pretty childish stuff sometimes mainly because they didn't know better and everything else they thought of worked out for them so why wouldn't a stupid trap? I played FFVIII recently and can say it's my favorite one in the series. People acted how I've known people to act. I really hate games with "perfect" women or the shy and cute type where that's their ENTIRE personality. I enjoyed and connected to the characters in FFVIII because they had glaring faults but got the shit done anyway. All said and done Quistis was the right choice but stepped aside because squall showed more interest in Rinoa. Bitches ain't shit to worry about. Find yourself a chubby little latina with a nice job and win at life.
>>
>>
>>342492969

>we made out in a pool
>deepest love story ever!
Literally less development than Anakin and Padme.
>>
File: image_c8055.jpg (673 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
image_c8055.jpg
673 KB, 2880x1800
FFX worked better as a love story. It had conflict, their lives didn't allow them to be together.

FFVIII was more just - Squall coming to grips that he doesn't want to be alone anymore.
>>
>>342492604
So did I, but I never got with any of them because I too was young and stupid. So I probably have much more to relate to in FFVIII than you do. But I still find it hard to believe that any girl would keep chasing after the same guy the way Quistis did no matter how many times he talked down to her or outright ignored her, most likely she would find someone else or try to make him jealous. Every time Rinoa acts like a spoiled brat she never gets reprimanded for it except for one time in which we're expected to feel bad for her, that alone kills my suspension of disbelief. She's being given special treatment over literally everyone else for no real reason whatsoever. She constantly harasses Squall and throws tantrums whenever he doesn't give her attention 24/7, but rather than man up and tell her to fuck off or continue ignoring her like he did to Quistis and pretty much everyone else, he starts feeling bad and plays along with her little game when he never would have done it for anyone else. Hell he even apologized for not wanting to go to that stupid concert which was just some stupid excuse for the rest of the cast to try and force them together because god knows why.

The point is, every time the character do try to act realistic they almost always either do something which completely breaks it, or they don't do what should have been done to complete it.
>>
>>342493293
nigga there was sexual tension since besaid

not to mention how she probably masturbated to his father.
>>
>>342493519
>>
>>342487525
They probably just ran out of time, and they tried to cram so much unnecessary shit in that they didn't have time to develop it all.
>>
File: Jonah_Jameson.jpg (150 KB, 612x1024) Image search: [Google]
Jonah_Jameson.jpg
150 KB, 612x1024
>>342493637
I liked Rinoa but it's more like I WANTED like her. She did kinda dragged shit down but when do women not? Game would have been better if Rinoa wasn't in it. Quistis could have just sucked the angst out if him.
>>
>>342484004
If we take the X-2.5 radio dramas into account then it's fair to say VIII wins.
>>
>>342493647

Two teenagers batting eyes at each other is so little development, it makes Star Wars episode II look like a masterpiece by comparison.
>>
>>342494364
X-2.5 doesn't exists.
>>
>>342494332
I feel the same way but it didn't work for me. Hell I liked Selphie much more, and Selphie only had two personality traits - "WOOOO EXPLOSIONS" and "TRAINS XD"
>>
>>342494332

>She did kinda dragged shit down but when do women not?
Final Fantasy IV. Sadly Rosa and Rydia are the only positive characters in the game.

Also the myriad of Dragon Quest and Suikoden games where women are fun and outgoing.
>>
>>342484004
I liked FFVIIIs story. I still play through it once a year.

FFXs was a little forced.
>>
>>342484960
Yuna is worse because she's voiced.

Honestly. Her VA was shit and the way they had to match the English localisation to the Japanese facial capture ruined this game, but Yuna especially, because she has the most awkward rhythm when she talks.
>>
The love story portion in all Final Fantasies are shit. For comparison's sake though:

>FFVIII
a competent mercenary with lack of social skills falls in love with a complete idiot that keeps fucking up his job with her constant bullshit

>FFX
a jock with daddy issues falls in love with a autistic living religious sacrifice with the personality of a baked potato

Yuna is prettier than Rinoa.
>>
>>342494847
Suikoden has hundreds upon hundreds of awesome characters. It's bizarre how they were able to make so many cool characters across several games.
>>
>>342495475

True. Though Suikoden benefits from basically having every type of character. So there's some angry, bitter and introvert females in those games. But they aren't the focus. The only time it was bad was when Lyon was a major part of the story in Suikoden V.

But by comparison, it is pretty sad how Final Fantasy can't do a decent female when there's only 7-10 characters per game. But Suikoden could have 30+ good females in one very low budget game.
>>
>>342495391
>Elite Mercenary force is tasked with defending the world from a historically deadly force
>Rag tag bunch of misfits form a team of Guardians on a pilgrimage for a false religion
>>
>>342495861

This. Its amazing how much Final Fantasy loves to use the 'everyone was being used' troupe. FFIV, VII and X all do this shit. While a game like FFVI and VIII, the characters actively try to control their own destiny.
>>
Should I buy FF8 on PC?
>>
>>342496251
Do whatever you want.
>>
>>342496330
heard the port was really bad
>>
>>342484004
Final Fantasy IX is the only Final Fantasy whose romantic subplot I didn't absolutely hate. Mind you, I didn't love it either considering Zidane and Dagger had relatively little chemistry, but it still didn't make me want to immediately stop playing whenever it came up.

I'll be honest. I hate Squall. And Rinoa. And Yuna. Tifa's only good for her boobs. Rosa's a shit. Cecil's a bitch. Tidus is only slightly more tolerable to me, but I still heavily dislike him. Cloud's only good once he stops the stupid "I'm too cool for school" bullshit and becomes an awkward teenager.
>>
>>342496390
It can be fixed with mods if you want the higher quality music, graphics, portraits and whatever.

What other options (as in platforms) do you have?
>>
>>342496745
PS3, PS4. That's about it.
>>
VIII > X, though Rinoa was kind of a cunt
>>
>>342496584
>considering Zidane and Dagger had relatively little chemistry
Meh. He touched her butt. That's way more than most FF protagonists to be honest.
>>
>>342496903
You could also emulate it.
>>
FFX had actual development. FFX is better. FFVIII, Squall plays a substitute boyfriend until Rinoa goes comatose, then he suddenly decides that he gives enough of a shit to run off to an unknown continent by himself. They later make out in space or some shit.
>>
>>342497060
These people can't write a compelling romance to save their lives.
>>
>>342496903
Option 1. Buy the emulated PS1-version on the PS Store
Option 2: Buy the PC port.
Option 3: Emulate PS1-version on PC.
>>
File: snow_and_serahs_kiss.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
snow_and_serahs_kiss.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>342494494
That more like FF13.
They're together from the beginning, you don't know why. But you're suppose to feel for them - or him - because they apart?
Because Serah was trapped in crystal stasis, it was hard to see them as a real couple. You know? You don't see the attraction unless the 2 magnets are moving together.
It's not the same when they're already together, or it's just 1 magnet clinging to the nearest metal object.
Does that analogy make sense?
>>
>>342497851

>or it's just 1 magnet clinging to the nearest metal object.
But that's exactly what Tidus and Yuna were. They were the same age and were together for a time. So they just felt teenage lust for each other. They never developed past that, but the story tries to make it out so that Yuna's love was so strong, she made Tidus become a real person. Then went on a journey to find him.
>>
>>342498294
No way, they developed feelings as they got to know each other during the course of the pilgrimage.
>>
>>342499880
I mean, a story has limits, so the pairing was made obvious and convenient.
It needed to be idealistic; not realistic.
>>
Both were pretty shitty games to be honest m8. I don't even remember 8's love story. But 10 didn't really have much of a love story until that stupid water scene and it felt like it cam out of nowhere
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.