[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the appeal of this franchise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 4242.jpg (31 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
4242.jpg
31 KB, 640x360
What's the appeal of this franchise?
>>
autism
>>
goin fast
>>
>>342482209
fast
>>
high speed platforming
>>
red hot chili dogs
>>
no time no time
>>
it's better than nothing
>>
gotta go fast
>>
I kinda liked the idea of a cartoony character in a hyper realistic fantasy world.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>342482880
>>
>>342482815
she's dreaming in digital
>>
>>342482209
H-Hayai
>>
>>342482815
I'd rather have nothing.
>>
high speed autism
>>
it's GRE-GRE-GREAT
>>
When a teacher touches you in a place or a way that makes you feel Good that's Good
>>
>>342482209
Sonic 2 on the Genesis was a fun game. Everything since has been riding the nostalgia train, waiting for something as good to arrive.
>>
>>342482209
The appeal of Sonic nowadays is sort of like having a friend or family who is trying to recover from drugs, he was a really good person at one point in the past so you desperately want to see them get back in track

Watching them try to leave drugs is painful, they attempt many times using different methods, but nothing seems to ultimately work. You get tired of the constant dissapointment, but in your head you know he needs you to overcome his problems, you need to be there for him, otherwise he will be left forgotten in god knows what dumpster, probablty dead, thinking of the past glory that he once had and giving up in life once he realises those times are now gone and they will never come back
>>
>>342483529
3 and CD are fun too. The 3D games are legitimately the cutoff.
Sonic x-treme getting so fucked was a warning sega ignored.
>>
>>342483531
Is this a copypasta? That shit's so dark
>>
>>342483806
Nope
>>
SEGA kids don't know any better.
>>
How does this franchise get away with not creating a decent game in two decades?
>>
>>342483531
I think you're being overdramatic.

2006 was the dark ages. That was when the Dreamcast died, you got Heroes, a bunch of other crap, Shadow the Hedgehog, and promises for THE new Sonic the Hedgehog game, and got a pile of shit instead. That's the dark age right there.

It's not like Sonic Team can't pull a decent game out of their ass, but they keep trying to reinvent the wheel each time.
>>
>>342484797
Of course i am, no one is that fucking crazy. Sonic games are fun but they have horrible design choices that keep them from being actual good games

>SA1
Amy, Big, Knuckles and Gamma with their gimmicks
>inb4 someone says "BUT I HAD FUN WITH THEM"
The problem is not only their boring gimmicks but also having to replay part of the game in order to unlock the last story

>SA2
Treasure hunting/Tails' mech sections, playing as Robotnik was a cool concept but still, the mechs felt like really clunky and easy platforming. Also, they somehow made the Treasure hunting worse than SA1

>Heroes
Replay the game 4 times, also this is where the stages start being +9 minute long

>Shadow the Hedgehog
Do i need to say anything about this? Controls worse than Sonic Heroes somehow

>Sonic '06
Has been said over and over

>Secret rings
A good idea but execution was beyond horrible

>Unleashed
Only 40% of the game is good, and even then i didn't find ALL the Sonic stages THAT enjoyable

>Colors
High speed tunnel action, rest is basic Mario 3 platforming

>Generations
How 3D it should've fucking been from the getgo

The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but they are horribly designed to the point it would be stupid to say they are good games when i enjoy less than 50-60% of the content
>>
>>342485583
Why do you only focus on the 3D games? What about all the 2D games since then?
>>
>>342485583
>>Secret rings
That shit made my arms cramp.
>>
>>342485697
Haven't played the handhelds, so no opinion. The 2D games are good anon, they are what made Sonic the "high speed platforming" guy

They are the only ones that are well designed
>>
Leaving the franchise dormant during the Sega Saturn era killed Sega
>>
>>342482209
>posts 06
There's your mistake
There are three games that I feel sum up the different appeals of the franchise
Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Generations
Keep in mind I said different appeals. The fanbase is split a million ways but I think those three games are the fan favorites of each major group
>>
File: Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.png (204 KB, 324x324) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Adventure_2_cover.png
204 KB, 324x324
Do people still defend any game after Sonic 3 / Knuckles?

Has there ever been a person that defended the Adventure or 3D games that didn't worship them as children first? Has a rational adult ever popped in a 3D Sonic game in for the first time and said, "This is a good video game"?
>>
File: Bruce_.jpg (51 KB, 702x533) Image search: [Google]
Bruce_.jpg
51 KB, 702x533
>>342482209

If you weren't underage you would know.
>>
>>342486419
see>>342485583

But your opinion is the same as mine, when i went back and played them i realised how bad they really were, i still had fun but i thought to myself that this is nowhere near close the quality of 3&K or Generations
>>
>>342486419
>Do people still defend any game after Sonic 3 / Knuckles?

Sonic Rush & Sonic Rush Adventure. Sonic Advance 1-3 are alright. Both Generations and Colors.
>>
Still riding succes of first 3 game.

it helps he is autism friendly like /v/
>>
>>342486419

Adventure 1 is dated as fuck

A2 is still fun to me, I really like how the controls for Sonic felt in that game, any game after it (and heroes maybe) makes sonic feel like a fucking tank despite being fast.
>>
>>342482209
There are several things, some of them depend on the game.

>Physics based platform games
>Great graphics
>Stories that can be enjoyed by everyone
>Top tier music
>Good transition to 3D
>All star japanese voice cast
>Different playstyles
>Muh lore
>Great atmosphere
>Encourages speedrunning
>>
>>342482209

Being the best video game series ever
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.