[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shadowrun Returns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (300 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
300 KB, 1920x1080
What's /v/'s verdict on the new kickstarted Shadowrun games?

I have beaten Returns, and I just finished Dragonfall and I was very much amused by the story, I really loved the setting and characters. While gameplay isn't bad, I didn't find it all that particularly good either. It's like isometric Fallout mixed with XCOM, except with a lot of elements from either games stripped down and streamlined. Vendors offer a rather limited selections of items, there aren't that many spells, you don't find that much loot on missions, exploration doesn't feel as rewarding as it does in a proper RPG... all kinds of little things. However, I'd still recommend it, because I had a lot of fun playing it, but I'm a sucker for squad based RPGs.

Also first time I ever head anything about Shadowrun universe was from Spoony and his Counter Monkey videos, so I found the cyberpunk magical world rather amusing as well.
>>
I wish Harebrained had the money to do a Shadowrun game that more fully realized their systems. Apparently there's stuff that exists in their PnP version which isn't in their Unity games at all, like Essence-based characters can acquire magical tattoos as an alternative to cyberware chrome.

Not being able to vendor junk is sort of irritating. I mean, shit, why can't you post you're selling some used shit on the Shadowlands BBS? Imagine having a bad event sale where instead of a buyer, some thugs try to knife you and steal your shit.

basically Shadowrun CRPGs could be more than they are, right now. Still hey thank god for an RPG setting that isn't generic tolkein.
>>
>>342473987
>Not being able to vendor junk is sort of irritating
What? You can sell any non mission item to any vendor in the world.
>>
>>342473081
>While gameplay isn't bad, I didn't find it all that particularly good either.

There is your answer, they were overall mediocre games and that is the worst thing any game can be. A shit game attracts people who want to ride its infamy for example E.T. the game

A good game makes peoples top 10 lists but usually little more. Its songs will circle the net for all time though for example Breath of Fire 3

Great games, 10/10s are ranted about and create fanboys that will drown out anything negative said about it, i'm not even going to give an example such is the shitposting and extremist fanboyism of a 10/10 game

But a mediocre game? Its like the ketchup sachet with your fries. If they forget your fries and burger, you are going back and demanding them! They forget your sachet? Well you have ketchup at home. They don't even charge for the sachets anyway.

I enjoyed Shadowrun returns, Dragonfall lost me twice. The two times it "crashed", unable to progress due to glitchy cyberspace and I dropped it. I could have just not done those hacking segments but the truth is the game just didn't keep me engaged anyway. Returns was a witty personal story about you, Dragonfall was more about your merc squad and you were just the player avatar, there to cruse though there stories as opposed to writing your own. Not the worst crime but then the stories weren't even that interesting minus Mercy and the fucked up things she did and thats...It.
A dragon is returning, did the title give it away? How about the constant mentions of it? How about us never shutting up about it?! Are you following the plot yet anon?!

Maybe SR:Tokyo will be better, we'll see.
>>
>>342473081
Dragonfall > Hong Kong > Returns.
>>
>>342474263
>stories weren't even that interesting minus Mercy
You didn't get far in the game, she's not the only teammate with a very dark secret from her past. Also while they constantly yammer on about the Dragon Firewing returning, NOTHING in the ending is like you expect it to be, the endgame has many twists. I tried so hard to pick the best choices for the Kreuzbasar and the F-State, but I still got a rather bitter sweet ending as nothing is what it appears to be at first glance.
>>
>>342474091

wat, did I miss an entire fucking vendor tab or something? I thought old outfits, guns and drugs were only good to collect dust in my stash.
>>
>>342474263
>SR:Tokyo

Are you talking about SR:Hong Kong or what?

>that whole rant about the story
You yourself said you haven't finished the fucking thing, so your complaint about the story looks really silly.

I do agree that the gameplay is pretty mediocre, but, like >>342473987 said, I think there's potential here. I feel the mechanics need a sequel rather than an overhaul.
>>
>>342474592
Yep, you missed a giant minus nuyen symbol next to the item you click on when you want to vendor items.
>>
>>342473081
It was quite good in several respects but I found the isometric systed with such small models played havoc with my immersion
>>
>>342474263
>Maybe SR:Tokyo will be better, we'll see.
there is a new title in development?
>>
>>342473081
Trying to get all the companion qests to trigger was a pain in the ass.

Also only dragonfall felt like a complete story, when the other two ended I was left asking 'was that it?'

I do appreciate the guy from the snes game being a temp party member in the first one though
>>
>>342474380
so Hong Kong shouldn't be as bad as I heard, maybe I will take it next time it's on sale
>>
>>342475263
>Trying to get all the companion qests to trigger was a pain in the ass.
they had quests? I remember talking to them and finding out their stories. I did say to Blitz not to chase after his girlfriend who obviously doesn't want him to follow her, but I never had any clues that others might have quests.
>>
>>342473081
IMO Returns was meh, Dragonfall was okay, Hong Kong was great. Aside from the magic mumbo jumbo which feels disjointed from your standard shadowrun fare just because muh exotic asia, it's done pretty well.

Personally, though, I'm more excited for that Mechwarrior game they're currently making.
>>
I consider Dragonfall and Hongkong really good RPGs. Like I felt Im really playing some RPG since longer time, instead of just something that have mechanics slapped on it and thats all. Even if not all choices ultimately mattered, I felt like they do and actually cared. Thats plus for me.

Unity is bad, I wont lie.

But I really enjoyed latest two, Dragonfall actually more due to better balance between fight and talking (Hongkong was mainly talking). Why those games didnt receive too much attention is beyond me. It makes me sad.

Both are solid 8,5/10 in my opinion. For me, thats high score. Would be better, if had more freedom and better engine without such limitations.
>>
>>342475602
>Aside from the magic mumbo jumbo which feels disjointed from your standard shadowrun fare just because muh exotic asia

Do you know if some asian guy actually helped writing the story or it's just misc asian folklore as seen by the average westerner?
>>
>>342476005
>Unity is bad, I wont lie.
Wasteland 2 is made in Unity and I found W2 much more enjoyable and a much more in depth RPG than Shadowrun. I think that demonstrated you can make a good squad based RPG in the endgine.
>>
>>342476107
>Writer(s)
>Andrew McIntosh
>Mitch Gitelman
>Tyler Carpenter
probably the latter. mind you I don't think the story is bad, it's simply not your usual shadowrun fare.
>>
>>342474380
Hong Kong > Dragonfall >> Returns
I've barely gotten into Returns, but fuck it has literally no hook. There is NOTHING that can make me care about the plot at all in the first 40 minutes of the game and that's absolutely tragic.
>>
>>342476397
It was rough getting into the whole "feng shui is actual magic" stuff.
>>
>>342476304
The downfall of WL2 was that I didnt care much about my party after a while. And some "forced choices" - especially the save the plant or the town in the beginning.

I miss pre-rendered backgrounds. I do miss them. PoE had them as well, good to see them every now and then
>>
Are other Shadowrun games any good? I know there's some action RPG on the SNES/Megadrive and some FPS game, but I never paid them any attention.
>>
>>342479059
The Nintendo and Sega versions are very different from each other and both are excellent.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.