[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If we're just going to be releasing upgraded versions of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Gen7.jpg (35 KB, 620x394) Image search: [Google]
Gen7.jpg
35 KB, 620x394
If we're just going to be releasing upgraded versions of current hardware, why didn't we just do that with 7th gen?....
I would've rather had a more powerful xbox360 and ps3.
>>
>>342465640

they kinda did with the Wii U. The Wii U is fully backwards compatible, with the controllers, the games, the console actually boots to the Wii OS/menu when you want to play Wii games even digital games purchased in the estore on the Wii U.

But it only really works one way when you make a jump in tech

To say, be able to play Wii U games on an original Wii just wouldn't work.

The only reason these new xbox and sony consoles will work is that they're for 4k displays and VR, where the original xbox one and ps4 will still play the same games, just at 1080p and 30fps.

If they had to make it so that PS4 games worked on the PS3.. PS4 games would look really dated.

Microsoft and Sony really should have went full BC though.
>>
>>342465640
what do you think the wiiu is?
>>
>>342466213
>>Microsoft and Sony really should have went full BC though.
at least xbone has some bc now
>>
>>342465640
>>342466213
theres no real graphical improvement from gamecube -> wii -> wii u -> nx though
nintendo hasn't made any jumps in 3d gaming since snes->n64->cube
>>
>>342465640
because the 360 and ps33 don't have a x84 GPU
>>
>>342466304

Isn't it kind of dodgy like, you put in the disc and it just downloads the game from xbox live instead of playing off the disc?

I mean it's better than the Playstation where you literally have to buy the game twice... (I'm okay with making HD versions of 6th gen games, since HD wasn't a thing in 6th gen, and it's a noticable improvement, but 7th to 8th gen remasters? wtf)

But it could be better.

Wii U it literally boots up a Wii and plays off the disc.
>>
>>342466393

There was only minor improvements between the Gamecube and Wii, you're correct. Namely the Wii could do native widescreen and was a little bit faster, but that's about it.

But the Wii U is at least HD, it can do 1080p, where the Wii could only do 480p. When you played Wii on an HD tv you really noticed. When you play Wii games on the Wii U you really notice it too. It's a 6th gen to 7th gen Jump. The Wii was just a 6th gen console in a 7th gen world. The Wii U is a 7th gen console in an 8th gen world. The NX will just be an 8th gen console in an 8.5 gen world.
>>
>>342466890
>can do 1080p
and yet the games are still 720p because its underpowered

>The NX will just be an 8th gen console in an 8.5 gen world
are we really supposed to believe the nx will be as powerful as the PS4?
its only been 5 years, they won't be able to produce a powerful enough device for under $300, and they can't afford to sell at a loss. They NEED to have a weak console and sell it with zelda, they simply cannot produce an 8th gen console in an 8.5-9th gen world. Maybe nx will actually run shit at 1080p, maybe
>>
>>342467461

I've heard somewhere between the xbone and ps4, then again I've also heard comparable to the Neo, so go figure.
>>
>>342467584
without word of god we can only speculate
but the powers of logic are sound. Nintendo CANNOT sell a console for a loss, and nobody will buy a $400+ console from them to play one killer app if they believe nintendo is out of the race with the xbone and ps4.5, they can't win that market. So with the Wii they adapted and sold a console for a profit because it had cheap architecture and was novel to appeal to casuals. But those casuals won't touch a $400-600 powerhouse from a dying company with no marketshare and no 3rd party support

so unless nintendo have somehow figured out how to make 8th generation tech cost $200 or less to produce and market it at $200-$250, we can just expect more terrible dated graphics
>>
>>342465640
PS4 and Xbone are both upgraded versions of previous consoles. The Wii U was the only one doing anything interesting.
>>
>>342467461
The games are 720 because it is also rendering 480p images for the controller.

That's not technically doing 1200p but it is rendering 1,200 lines of graphics.

All in a little box that uses as much electricty as a light bulb.

The Xbone and PS4 are pretty pathetic in that sense. They use up so much power and boast specs yet can barely keep 30FPS.
>>
>>342467747

It is a real shitshow, because the other companies selling at a loss can work for them because they're much larger corporations and can make the money back on other things connected to that console but not the console itself, like, online fees and game license fees.

Nintendo only does video games so selling at a loss would hurt them irreparably.

But without 3rd party support.. they're never going to break out again.
>>
>>342468348

before you say "they should just do what Sega did and go software only" I LIKE that they do hardware because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they're actually creative.

Sony and Microsoft just make budget PC's for retards who can't build their own or keep it updated.

Nintendo makes consoles that do things differently from what I can do on a PC. I actually liked the Wii's control scheme for some things, and I do kind of like the Wii U gamepad for some things it's just underutilized.
>>
>>342468525
>Sony and Microsoft just make budget PC's for retards who can't build their own or keep it updated.
and hold games like demons souls hostage from the PC master race
>>
>>342469576

No I fully understand if you have a hand in making a game you want it exclusive for your console.

I actually have some respect for Sony and Nintendo for also being first party software developers. Microsoft pretty much has Forza and Halo.
>>
All 3 (particularly the Wii) are terribly outdated, I doubt you could get Overwatch to run on them at 720 30fps.
Even now the Wii U is a pretty weak system, Xbone mid and PS4 Mid-High.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.