[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you playing natural selection 2? >aliens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9
File: ns2.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
ns2.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
Why aren't you playing natural selection 2?

>aliens vs marines
>rts fps combo
>multiplayer

Cmon /v/ it's fun
>>
>>342452329
because i'm too busy waiting for more subnautica updates
>>
>>342452329
It's been a while since I played again, I got ET Legacy waiting for me as well, another golden oldie.
>>
File: 1436841038664.jpg (40 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1436841038664.jpg
40 KB, 500x491
>>342452329
Once my new mouse comes in I will reinstall just for you
>>
File: giphy.gif (902 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
902 KB, 500x280
>>342452748
Play with me anon? :)
>>
>>342452329
Because I already played it. For like 450 hours. Did tournaments and all.

I might launch it to see what changed though, I haven't played it in 2 years or so after all.
>>
>>342455097
Did you win anything at those tourneys?
>>
Because of what Hugh Jeremy did to the game.

I'm getting tired of explaining this in every NS2 and Subnautica thread. Weekly balancing updates are a cancer in any game.
>>
>>342455240
A video of my humiliating defeat on the front page of the official website, commented by Hugh himself.
>>
savage was better.
>>
>>342455798
Savage remake came out recently
>>
>>342455351
fucking awesome
>>
>>342452329
I loved that game so much. Skulking was the most fun shit ever.

Isn't it ded?
>>
>>342452329
I have tried to get into this game many times, it sounds fun in theory. In reality everything about the game feels off. Movement, combat, balance.
>>
>>342458734
sucks for you, it's an amazing game
>>
>>342458306
I was playing earlier today. There are servers out there
>>
I used to play Tremulous (now it's called Unvanquished) it's the same concept but free and open source
>>
>>342452329
>eyeballs in mouth
>>
>>342452445
This

I'm holding out on playing it until they add more objectives and give purpose to exploring every nook and crannie.
>>
>>342459439
The eyes aren't in the mouth

You see from the point of view of the mouth because they claimed seeing from where the eyes normally would be is disorienting as fuck when they tested it in development

That and people liked seeing through the mouth more
>>
File: harvester.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
harvester.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>342452329
I fucking love FPS/RTS combo genre
However... :^)
Natural Selection 2 is too claustrophobic for me. Fucking corridors. I understand that it's good for wall-climbing aliens to have that kind of map design, but my dream since I started playing RTS games was to command a single unit in that RTS-like environment, which are usually open terrain maps.
And that's why I play Renegade X and Savage XR/2 (and Savage Ressurection when I stop being poor)
>>
>>342452329
Low player count.
>>
>>342452329

It's fun but it's also dead.
>>
>>342463024
What is Battlezone 2?
>>
File: Coolface.png (58 KB, 657x600) Image search: [Google]
Coolface.png
58 KB, 657x600
>>342458306
Chewing on those forgotten power nodes while marines weren't looking was the best.
Also setting up ambushes above door frames.
Any kind of gorilla warfare honestly was loads of fun for annoying motherfucker like me.
>>
>>342456172
I remember 2 Savage games, they made another one?
>>
I would play more but one side always ends up getting curb stomped and game ends in like 5 minutes
>>
>>342458734
My only complain is my pinky tires from holding shift constantly to stay on walls
>>
>>342452329
>be marine
>round a corner
>face gets eaten every time you round a corner
>be alien
>try and eat face
>just end up eating air and bullets

into

the

trash
>>
Game needs some sort of dummy commander AI because sometimes people refuse to play commander role.
>>
>>342464000
Sounds like you need to gut your git
>>
>>342452329
I like it, but the game's high skill ceiling combined with being only played by hardcore people who have been playing since 2010 turns me off of it. I used to love it but haven't played it in ages.
>>
>>342452329

>Tiny player base these days.
>All l337 pricks who hate n00bs.
>Steep learning curve
>Was unoptimized as fuck for a long time which caused it's player base to drop off.
>>
>>342464082
or I can play a good game instead
>>
Because the game's dead
>>
>>342452329
I don't like the gunplay.
>>
Because I can't run it at a steady 60FPS and I'm shit at predicting other player's movements
I always assume that they're good at the game and won't do something completely retarded and unintuitive. A lot of the time I'm wrong.
>>
>>342464187
Are you me? Literally this
>>
I got bullied for being bad at natural selection
>>
>>342464537
Those are not subjective opinions about the game.
>>
>>342464664
You're not wrong.

I actually really like the game itself and put in a couple hundred hours early, spent at least half my time as a commander being a tryhard.

Even with a gr8 system the game always felt really laggy which was a massive turnoff, eventually it just slowly bothered my interest out of the game because non-smooth gameplay is pretty trash tier for a FPS, especially when you're MLG alien bouncing off the walls like a maniac.

I tried to come back some time later and tried to deal with the "non-subjective" issues. It really wasn't worth the time and I already had long moved on the newer games.
>>
>>342464190
Your logic is trash.

>cant play a, due to b being OP
>cant play b, because of a also being OP

You are garbage, your family is garbage, your entire bloodline is garbage.

If you lived in any other time than todays coddleing society, you would have been cast out and left for dead.

Git gud.
>>
>>342465028
I never said anything was OP, I said the game sucks.
>>
>>342465096
No anon.

You suck. You cant do A, because B kills you. You cant do B, because A kills you.

Meanwhile, normal people are successful at both.

You are a failure. An objective failure at natural selection.

The only option left is to kill yourself for the betterment of your peers. Suffer not, the failure.
>>
Has anything special changed? I know a year or 2 (3? I dunno) ago they changed alien commander drastically. What else has changed?

I just want to build a gigantic alien base as a gorge and my gorge buddies like in old NS1 where games were epic 2 hour long back and forth madness. Not the 10-30 minute games where one mistake wins a game format
>>
>>342465271
>normal people

Normal people don't play this garbage.
>>
>>342465309
Plenty of normal people did, at release. It was very much a FOTM game.

You just suck. Say it. Say "i suck at natural selection". Say it, bitch.
>>
>>342465309
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>342465421

Not him but all my normie buddies bought the game when it was one sale and a free weekend. Not one of the 7 or so of the men played past the weekend. And ya know what really grinds my gears, they ALL BOUGHT the game during a free weekend and didnt play past the weekend.

COMON!
>>
>>342465421
"Natural Selection II sucks."
>>
>>342465513
>>342465519
REEEEEEEEEEE DELETE THIS
>>
I have this game, never installed it. Is it any good? I like kinda shitty third person shooters like nosgoth depth and primal carnage if that helps. Most importantly does it have a decent population
>>
>>342465519
You are such a failure that you fail to realize how much you suck at natural selection.

Its ok anon, not everyone can be a winner.

But even losers can kill themselves.
>>
>>342465793
>be alien
>chompchompchomp heehee
>zero damage
>>
>>342465971
If this was true, then how do aliens win?
>>
>>342466048
Fades
>>
>>342466048
Hacks
>>
Savage was better.
>>
File: Look at that sexy skulk.jpg (225 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Look at that sexy skulk.jpg
225 KB, 1920x1080
>>342452329
>Why aren't you playing natural selection 2?

But I am!
And it's fucking great.
I don't know how to feel about the update yet.
>>
Something about the movement and the shooting and the netcode feel really bad and that makes it hard for me to play it.

>>342463024
I too like the idea of FPS+RTS. I want a game where there's a StarCraft kind of RTS going on for two players and they both have a dozen or so Human Beans on their team who go around shootan like normal. Lots of potential there if you do it right.
>>
Because it ran like dogshit for years and only started being good when they gave it to community developers. Now the original devs have pretty much left it to work on subnautica.

I cannot in good faith support that.
>>
>>342466084
Fades are mid game.

How do they survive early game?
>>
Anyone else getting stuttering since the latest patch? Particularly when skulks get close to you?

It's pretty nasty.
>>
File: Reee.jpg (17 KB, 148x194) Image search: [Google]
Reee.jpg
17 KB, 148x194
>>342452329
Cause I can't aim for shit with the Skulks hopping all over my screen
Also
>Start of the match
>no one wants to pick the commander
>make the mistake of getting in
>don't know what the fuck I'm doing
>guy gets mad
>starts ranting about all the shit I'm doing wrong
If you know so damn much, WHY DIDN'T YOU GET IN THE DAMN POD!?
>>
>>342466471
>Something about the movement and the shooting and the netcode feel really bad and that makes it hard for me to play it.

The fuck are you talking about? It's perfect.
>>
>Why aren't you playing natural selection 2?
Because
>Pre-Caching . . .
>>
does it still run like shit
>>
>>342452329
Cause last time I played it the game was poorly optimized and balanced far too much in favor of the marines.
>>
Because it's dead gaem. And i get my shit wrecked by veterans.
>>
Because theres 1 australian server and its empty.
>>
Too hostile. And if you fuck up as a newcomer there is no way to recover in a round. Most of the time it's decided if the first Fade creature survives or dies.
Fuck that shit. And stacking drove me off.
>>
>>342467358
Gorges
>>
>>342468360

Because everyone is scared of taking responsibility. Because only an idiot (like me for example) would try to command. Because it's easier to let someone else dictate their lives so they can blame all of their own mistakes on that person

When you go in that command station/hive, you don't become the commander, you become the scapegoat, you become the babysitter nobody likes. Once you go in that chair, it's do or die. And guess what? Nobody will listen to what you ask. So you're just the guy who drops buildings and medpack&ammo / drifter support.

TL;DR To command is to be a bitch, and nobody wants to be the bitch.
>>
>>342452329
Because it's not Quake II Gloom.
>>
>>342470517

>join team with no commander
>Anyone want to command?
>OK ill do it since no one else wants to
>WHAT THE FUCK? FUCKING COMMANDER LOST US THE GAME!!
>>
Forced commander is what ruined this game and it being an unoptimized bloated piece of garbage.

Those two alone, are why this game failed.

Not balance issues. Not balance changes.
>>
>>342471138
Yeah it failed so hard to financed the studio for years and allowed them to make another game.

:^)
>>
>>342452329
My first time playing RTS mode we won the match, but I was still told by half of my team that I should never play RTS again.
The "Pro" Decided to show us how to play and we got our ass handed to us 5 minutes in.
I took his advice and never played it again.
Almost as bad as Leauge/Dota playerbase.
>>
>>342470040

The best way for a newcomer to learn the game is to sit back and support others. Don't try to rush in, don't try to take charge. Always group up, and always let someone else go in first.

Aim is everything in this game. Improve your aim above all else. Both as marines and as aliens.

As Marines, always try to have a welder with you. Armories don't repair armor so you have to depend on one-another. Early game having full armor is essential. And prioritize defending the RT's that are under attack over building new ones because Extractors (Marine RT) costs 2 more team resources than harvesters (Alien RT).

Buy mines and place them in the blind spots of vent enterances, corners near rt's and phase gates. They can net you a lot of kills early game. Also Exosuits are shit even with full upgrades, don't buy them. They are very high-maintenance back-line siege units, not spearheads like onoses are.

As aliens, always check who goes gorge at the start of the game to make sure there isn't too many. So many make this mistake and it's essentially cutting down on early map control and firepower. Since as aliens, you start with 12 personal resources instead of marines 15 prez, you won't be able to go gorge (8 prez) and drop two tunnel enterances (4x2) immediately. So if you decide to go gorge at the start of the game, instead of putting down a tunnel, follow skulks and try to heal them as a battle-medic while spitting on marines whenever you can. Also make sure you announce your presence as a battle medic in voice comm so people can come to you for heals and last longer.

As skulks, NEVER EVER run straight into marines as a form of engagement. It usually gets you killed. Sneak around holding shift as it cuts down all the footstep noise. Your main objective as an early-game skulk should always be to sneaking on Marines and biting their asses off. And if there are more than one, sniping them with parasite to reveal them on map and through-walls.
>>
>>342470650

Unfortunately that is always the case. Just focus on your own actions, memorize hotkeys, learn the maps, and try to keep calm.

>>342471708 (Cont.)

Parasiting a marine causes several things: It scares the marine and might cause him to retreat knowing he is exposed. It might distract the marine to find the skulk who parasited him, causing him to delay his objectives like building or getting to his destination. Or if he is on low enough health (like sub-10-15) can instantly kill him bypassing the armor he has. At the start of the game, a parasite and two bites will kill a marine so try sniping, then wait for marine to continue on, then sneak up and finish him off.

If you suck at combat like I do, you should sneak behind the enemy lines and kill the res towers. Starving the enemy early game will get you a huge advantage and often win the game.
You can also parasite buildings, so make sure you parasite every building you come across in a room to grant vision for your team, but also keep in mind that the act of parasiting counts as an attack so marines will know where you are, giving you a limited time to act.
>>
File: 1432608022518.jpg (29 KB, 337x404) Image search: [Google]
1432608022518.jpg
29 KB, 337x404
>>342472729
>(Cont.)

This ain't your blog shill.
>>
File: 1449691113077.gif (3 MB, 283x204) Image search: [Google]
1449691113077.gif
3 MB, 283x204
>>342463024
>savage resurrection
what?
>google it
jesus christ why have I not fucking heard of this? Savage 2 was fucking great.
Renegade X feels like shit though, it is not Renegade I had played for 3000 hours back in the day. Had dropped X really fast.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.