[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is G-Sync worth it? Is it a big difference between a monitor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: Z.jpg (5 KB, 302x167) Image search: [Google]
Z.jpg
5 KB, 302x167
Is G-Sync worth it? Is it a big difference between a monitor without adaptive sync?
>>
Freesync is better desu.
>>
Is getting rid of tearing and frame pacing isues worth an extra hundred bucks to you?
Well, you wouldn't need to ask yourself this if you used AMD.
>>
Most of the monitors with it are already pretty expensive, so yeah it sucks that you get jewed out of even more money for something AMD provides for free but if you purchase Nvidia products you're already used to being jewed.
>>
>>342432101
Is that all it does? I assume it would generally make my frames smoother.
>>
>>342431915
except its not

nothing can really compete with a proprietary chip embedded into the monitor doing all the work
>>
>>342431915
It's not though. Gsync is superior, although far more expensive and going to be obsolete as the VESA standard takes over everything.
>>
>>342432337
It eliminates screen-tearing without affecting your framerate like V-sync does. That's it. In practice, people find it makes lower framerates look smoother.
>>
Freesync > g-Sync

Intel agrees, don't bother them about it.
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/212642-intel-will-support-freesync-standard-with-future-gpus
>>
didn't g-sync get blown the fuck out because it was proprietary faggotry and overpriced as hell?

some tech that does the exact same as g-sync but without being Nvidia-exclusive and having to buy an overpriced, premium monitor with g-sync technology came out and btfo of it instead
>>
>>342432469
>nothing can really compete with a proprietary chip embedded into the monitor doing all the work

The only thing that chip does it make sure no other brand card except nvidia can use g-sync on the monitor. It's just a way for them to slap on a much bigger price tag on the monitor for suckers like you.
>>
Freesync is open source. Anyone can use it.... nvidia can if they wanted to... tho nvidia makes sure their cards can't because they want all their retarded fanboys to use G-sync and to buy overpriced g-sync monitors.
>>
>>342432801
AMD's Freesync, yeah. It's basically just a customized version of an option built into the 1.2a standard of DisplayPort (adaptative sync) that does the same thing.
>>
File: spongu_bobu.jpg (133 KB, 640x780) Image search: [Google]
spongu_bobu.jpg
133 KB, 640x780
>>342432801
Nvidia has a record of trying to sabotage their competition with shit like memeworks making games run like trash on amd with it enables
>>
>>342432810
are AMDfags really this delusional? holy shit
>>
>>342433447
Intel has done similar shit in the past. Tho theirs is done with giant rebates for companies who make sure they buy at least 95% intel processors... in fact... they got sued for it and lost badly. Still haven't pay out the billions they owe to AMD, they're still appealing since they can keep paying for appeals...
>>
>>342432517
>people find it makes lower framerates look smoother
So it mostly benefits people that play in low framerates? Who mainly plays in low framerates anyway?
>>
>>342433739
no, it makes all framerates look smoother.

it basically cuts out the middleman of framebuffering and delivers the frame dynamically to the monitor
>>
Freesync is supported by intel and amd and it's not proprietary garbage.

Every proprietary garbage nvidia shits out is literally like razer shitting out gaymen branding and idiots like you will eat it up
>>
>>342433739
No, it benefits everyone. If your frame rate is low/unstable, it removes pacing issues, and if it's high(er than your monitor's refresh rate) then it removes tearing.
>>
File: file.png (333 KB, 393x393) Image search: [Google]
file.png
333 KB, 393x393
>invest in building a PC
>get a fancy high refresh rate monitor
>time to game
>only have console ports of either western multiplats or ancient Japanese games
>the latter never taking advantage of anything newer than a Pentium Pro due to >30FPS lock and >PS2 graphics
>worse yet, these games sell abysmally, to the point where publishers either just dump shitty ports, delay them, or simply don't release them at all
>tfw
>>
>>342434016
>>342433979
I see. Sounds good. Is it worth the extra cash tho when investing in a 144hz monitor?
>>
>>342433503
When you know that DisplayPort has adaptative sync and can do freesync and that freesync is open source that even nvidia can freely use....

gsync chips has no advantages. The only thing it really does is to lock in their fanbase to only nvidia cards and to inflat prices of monitors.
>>
>>342434156
YES

even without *sync i would get a 144hz monitor

the difference with EVERYTHING is night and fucking day

I go to work and have to use my 60hz monitor and cant stand how choppy it is just moving the fucking mouse around
>>
>>342434271
>comparing a fucking port with a fucking addon card

oh right the gsync chip is just a fake! lolol
>>
>>342434156
Definitely. Everyone is used to frame delivery issues like tearing so you may think it's not all that bothersome but it really does make for a better experience without.
>>
>>342434497
What does your chip do that the port doesn't?
>>
>>342434771
you know, the actual calculations and syncing and shit with no overhead?
>>
>>342434771
im fairly certain displayport doesnt do anything except add compatibility to accept and deliver dynamic refresh rate signals.
>>
>>342435328
I'm also certain that being able to display those refresh rates is purely dependent on the monitor and not some chip or some port.
>>
File: smugfreedomadvocate.jpg (208 KB, 530x424) Image search: [Google]
smugfreedomadvocate.jpg
208 KB, 530x424
>>342431623
>Choice between g-sync monitor or freesync monitor

Freesync isn't free. You still have to have a card and monitor that supports it. This also eliminates the "open source" meme. PhysX is also open source, but AMD refuses to support it.

This is just the war of proprietary vsync.

Nvidia = Gsync
AMD = Freesync

Nobody wins.
>>
>>342435557
and you think manufacturers don't have to add something extra in order to do that? lol there are still going to be extra costs
>>
>>342435937
>PhysX is also open source
>spreading lies
>>
No, it is a gimmick and doesn't matter.
>>
>>342437714
The only people who call free/gsync a gimmick are people who have never used it. It is fantastic. Not having vsync+triple buffering shitting dropped frames everywhere and creating input lag is fucking amazing.
>>
>>342438085
I have used it. Everything runs at 144 regardless, I do not have a shit can PC and do not drop frames.
>>
Yeah I've got Gsync and its fine, I've got an ASUS ROG PG28Q Swift luckily enough for my birthday like 2 years ago from my whole family chipping in and its been going strong ever since.

Once you're used to 144hz or over gaming on a bigger than normal screen you understand why people who don't have the luck to experience such luxury see it as a gimmick.
>>
>>342435090
so this is the power of a good green goy
>>
Before Gsync, you had to tolerate tearing because the awful input lag with vsync is unplayable.

Now you don't need to. Win/Win.
>>
>>342438359
Come on, unless you're getting 144fps with that 144hz free/g-sync is still useful.
>>
>>342433447
That's why you should be using Nvdia. Why would you want to be on the losing end?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.