[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>randomly searching through your room >find an old DS game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 20160622_183947.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160622_183947.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
>randomly searching through your room
>find an old DS game
>remember playing it all the time near your late childhood
>plug it into your system
>turn it on
>pic related

Is there any way to avoid games becoming ruined over time, causing saved data to be corrupted? Or are they just eventually doomed to fail and give out over time?

Of course newer games don't have the data saved directly on the physical copy anymore, save for 3ds cartridges. It'd still be nice to keep all my old memories safe though.
>>
>>342425156
>Or are they just eventually doomed to fail and give out over time?
Batteries in most 80s/early to mid 90s games die out eventually. Flash memory used in later games technically has a write/erase limit, though that number is determined by the quality of the chip used and is likely a really high number.
>>
>>342425156
how about just stop being a faggot and just start a new game?
>>
Just transfer your saves over to a flash cart.
>>
>>342425156
I've heard that the quality on DS/3DS carts is shit and are already going out. Not hard to believe that Nintendo would take the cheap option with their SD card ripoffs.

So the lesson learned is to use some save device to back up your DS/3DS carts while you can.

Older stuff is fine though, I've only lost one save battery data on a GBC cart, I've got stuff from the SNES with no battery issues.

Nice thing about the battery ones is that you can just pop in a new battery easily, so no problems.
>>
Mp3's degrade over time.

So do CD's.

Eventually every type of format you have will not work.
>>
>>342425156
>haven't played a DS game in 5 years.
>recently start it up, expecting to start all over again
>savefile still there
Bad luck OP
>>
>>342427647
it also depends on how often you saved.

compulsive savers are fucked.
>>
>>342427237
>Mp3's degrade over time.
this bait is stale
>>
File: 1463762195409.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1463762195409.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>342425156
>tfw sky3ds+ and r4i gold
>saves are on sd card
>never have to worry about this happening
>>
>>342428651
That SD card also has a write/erase cycle limit, all flash memory does. HDD's will eventually stop functioning as well for numerous reasons, you can back up saves to multiple storage devices that way though.
>>
>>342429196
>not having backup SD cards for everything

I've got backups of my backups m8, saves ain't going anywhere
>>
>>342425156
It's called bit rot. Any storage medium will just "wear out" or decay even if unused, over time.

The only way to reliably store game saves is to store them on a separate device. Even the game ROMs will burn out eventually (although that'll take longer, since the data is "burned in" to the ROM chips and cannot be changed).
>>
>>342431912
now tell him about how rotational velocidensity devours his media and burns his lands
>>
>>342425156
>Not having a R4
>>
>>342425156
>randomly searching through your room
>plug it into your system
What the fuck anon, get your own shit
>>
I take care of my things and all my DS carts work just fine.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.