[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is literally an artistic masterpiece. Everything a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: nier.jpg (62 KB, 738x613) Image search: [Google]
nier.jpg
62 KB, 738x613
This game is literally an artistic masterpiece. Everything about this game is phenomenal with the exception of the gameplay (obviously) but everything else makes up for it. Also Automate hype thread. If you haven't seen the latest trailer I highly recommend you do because it looks fantastic. https://youtu.be/4bx02CEISLI
>>
>>342421302
are you a recent fan of nier or did you play it a couple of years ago?

it truly is goddamn fantastic. an objective 7/10 but everyone who has a decent opinion will give it a subjective 10/10
>>
>>342421594
I played it a couple years ago but with the upcoming hype of Automata I was just thinking about how god damn good it was. Probably one of the best games in the PS3/360 generation.
>>
I played it and thought it was okay, nothing more. I liked certain elements but I don't think it was fantastic in any area but the music and have no idea why it has such a cult following.
>>
What's the point of all the lore and shit being Novella-tier but the actual gameplay and game is overall shit?
>>
Definitely a hidden gem. That final ending :(

I wish it would get a remaster or rerelease. I don't have PS3 at my dorm.
>>
>>342422850
A steam release would be awesome imo. Modders could fix some of the problems with the game and just generally make it more enjoyable.
>>
>>342421916

it's real fucking fantastic. whenever i get drunk i talk about games, and whenever i talk about games i talk about the lighthouse quest from this game, and the russian roulette from LISA.

it'd break my world if i accidentally spoiled someone who might enjoy these games, discovering the stories within them is so precious.

>>342422607

gameplay is often thought as how well your inputs translate into your character's actions and movements. in a mechanical sense, nier is quite bad at that, as your inputs feel clunky and clumsy, i personally found it fun once i got the spear, but i can see the complaints.
gameplay isn't often seen as how your input affects the world. in that sense this game is a goddamn masterpiece, as it subverts pretty much everything you can expect from an adventure-rpg genre.
>>
>>342421302
>masterpiece
>with the exception of the gameplay
That not what masterpiece means

Also I don't care how good the story is, If the gameplay is total dog shit. Then it just a chore to get to the story.
>>
>its a great game, its just that the fundamental aspect of the game is shit
>>
>>342423063
I literally said "artistic" masterpiece I never said it was a gaming masterpiece. This game isn't good because of the gameplay, it's good because of the experience like Gone Home or The Stanley Parable. Those games literally have next to no gameplay and they are considered masterpieces.
>>
>>342423960

except gone home's story AND gameplay is shit, so your argument doesnt hold water

and if you're saying things are masterpieces solely because of the story, you should fuck off and stop ruining video games
>>
>>342424087
>your argument doesn't hold water because [subjective opinion]

well that's real classy
>>
>IT'S A MASTERPIECE 10/10 AMAZING MUST PLAY!
>except the gameplay is shit
ok then
>>
I want to play Nier. I heard that there was a connection with the main Drakengard series but it wasn't too major. Should I play Drakengard 1+2 before Nier or would I be fine not playing them?
>>
Gameplay isn't even bad, its perfectly functional.
>>
>>342425576

playing drakengard 1 won't give you any more insight into the plot than playing the game.

but you kind of should give drakengard 1 a try anyway. but not necessarily for nier.
>>
>>342421302
Taro is a hack, Nier is the epitome of mediocre and DoD is complete horseshit
>>
>>342425645

it's even pretty fun and varied.
the huge lances you could throw were great. the game was really good at mixing up the somewhat repetitive combat with shmup sections, top-down sections, 2d sections, boar-drifting, et cetera. the core mechanics are a bit stale, but the game plays around if fucking wonderfully.
>>
>>342425645
The combat's fine, it just isn't the main appeal. And grinding for total quest completion could be a bit grating.
>>
>>342421302
Just stopping in to say I agree with everything you said and you are my negro

Also thread theme: http://youtu.be/oUn-kezLzeY
>>
File: santa.jpg (37 KB, 359x425) Image search: [Google]
santa.jpg
37 KB, 359x425
>>342421302
>Everything about this game is phenomenal (Except the actual game part)
>>
>>342421594
realtalk
>>
>>342422850
>Definitely a hidden gem.
It's like the least hidden gem ever. A few years ago pretty much every discussion of hidden gems (at least here) would start with nier and now no one mentions it because everybody already knows about it.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.