[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you realize that you got too old for vidya and the industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14
When did you realize that you got too old for vidya and the industry left you behind?
>>
>>
It's been quite different for me.
The older I get, the more the age range for the targeted vidya demographic widens.
>>
In the last few years I guess, but its more that sjw's and sycophants to to them have turned all games to shit.
>>
>>342350139

As soon as people began openly admitting to enjoying games like Life Is Strange, MOBAs, etc along with the increase in the retardation that is watching someone else play a video game other than playing yourself.
>>
I'm 29 and there are still plenty of games I've yet to play along with a handful of new stuff on the way. I don't even buy AAA shit.

There are more games than ever, so there's more to parse through which makes it look like there's nothing out there for you, but once you realize it's still there (albeit harder to find in the mountains of crap coming out alongside it) then you'll be alot happier.

I do genuinely lament how some game series have gone some totally fucked directions, but lol @ brand loyalty.
>>
30 here. vidya keeps getting better honestly. It just no longer caters to poor people and having a job takes care of that.
>>
>>342351167

Bro fist it. I'm 27, and I definitely feel that games still target me as a demographic, and I still enjoy them, though not quite to the degree that I used to, but I blame /v/ for that.
>>
If there wasn't at least one game from any of the platforms at E3 that you are looking forward to the fault lies with you.
>>
Multi-player games are zero fun once you hit a certain age. The older I get the more I like a story driven single player adventure. I just can't do the memers and ebin clan raids anymore.
>>
>>342350139

Around 2007 when i was 22.
>>
>>342350235

This

Spore came out
>>
>>342351167
31 here and you're full of shit.

Games, like film, like literature, has always been a torrential flood of mediocrity. But every now and then, something pretty alright comes along and surprises you.
>>
>>342350139
Watchdogs 2 website and art style
>>
When I turned 14 in 2011 and stopped having fun
>>

Once matchmaking became the golden standard. I don't grasp the concept of mmr or every match trying to be as even as possible. I liked jumping onto a server and figuring out who to watch out for. Also any multiplayer game where you don't start with every option is instantly unappealing to me.
>>
File: 87573.jpg (22 KB, 500x278) Image search: [Google]
87573.jpg
22 KB, 500x278
I´m 30 now and I it´s hard for me to get into new games by now. Lets say I play the new Anno. I enjoy it for a few hours then things start to annoy me and I end up playing Anno 1602 again. The whole AAA shit and the call of dutys and stuff goes miles over my heads. When military shooters started to become the new hip thing for teenagers and I just found then fucking boring I knew I was getting old.

Diablo 2, the old command & conquer games and a few new indie titles like Stardew Valley or Pinball games I still enjoy though.

And I still enjoy playing League after 5 years, but this could be the addiction.
>>
5 years ago, I was 25.

I can still find enjoyable games, but the majority of AAA developers clearly don't want my money anymore, there are tons of normies willing to throw money at every well marketed shit.
>>
I mostly play racing sims and I'm pretty fine. No pandering and the casualization is under control
>>
>>342353553

underage b&
>>
File: YoshiMario.png (4 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
YoshiMario.png
4 MB, 2560x1440
>>342350139
2009, when Nintendo first created their "Super Guide" feature in order to have the games play themselves if people were having too much trouble.
>>
>>342350139
About 4 years ago. I was 20. I hardly buy any new games anymore.
>>
>>342354765

He's 19 now, he got you with clever math it seems.
>>
>>342350139
2007/2008 was the beginning of the end.

The internet ruined video games.
>>
>>342351434
>Bro fist
>I'm the target demo

No shit fuckhead
>>
>>342350139
When ı became 15 years old.
>>
This year seeing people excited for BotW just because it has the Zelda name
I just can't identify with the droning. Nintendo hasn't released a great game since Galaxy 2
>>
File: 1462488171215.jpg (45 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1462488171215.jpg
45 KB, 540x429
>>342350139
This generation, very little developers are interested in making games with varied and interesting environments that are enjoyable to explore and often just give you flat landscapes and generic towns and cities.
I think the only game that has done more so far is Xenoblade, the rest have been dull as fuck.

It doesn't help that a lot of developers are afraid to come out of their comfort zone and produce something new.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 687x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 687x476
After I beat GTA4 my senior year of highschool.

I went off to college and knew I didn't wanna be that dude bro who brought a fucking game console let alone an entire fucking PC tower to the dorm room.

After graduating I immediately started working so I don't have time to play games anyway, nor does anything now interest me or get my attention like how games used to.

HOWEVER, I still buy Nintendo handhelds cause Mario kart, Pokemon, etc. on a plane ride or long car trip are radical.
Always buy the cheaper version for a friend accompanying me too as a travel gift. Luckily the 2DS' are usually preloaded with Mario kart too
>>
>>342355291
>Dong freeze
>MK8
>3D World
>>
I'm just 22 and I'm already feeling too old for this place.

It feels so fucking weird having more and more stuff like Skyrim apologists creep up. But then I remember Skyrim was half a decade ago and people who played it as kids are now posting on /v/.

Doesn't really feel like the industry is leaving me though, pandering to e-sports and LPers is cringeworthy but it's not that bad.
>>
>>342355256
>>
when hello kitty cameod in mario maker

when sonic became a lego character

when e-celebs were in sega superstar racing
>>
>>342350139
>the industry

quit buying AAA titles you dumb fuck. The only thing AAA about them nowadays is their price.
>>
>>342351167
>>342352531
>>342354176
>30
>still plays video games
>>
>>342355660
and when the Angry Birds movie completely dominated the R&C movie
>>
November 24 1992
>>
>>342350139
Right before WOTLK on WoW. Gaming was so magical, but then I started college and sorta left it behind.

Tried various times to get into WoW again, the Arkham games, occasional fighting games etc. but haven't found anything that holds my interest.

Girlfriend has a Wii U and it's certainly fun, but it doesn't hold my interest for long periods of time.
>>
>>342350602
>along with the increase in the retardation that is watching someone else play a video game other than playing yourself.
this can apply to sports, and the statement makes no sense in that case. people watch sports because they're watching not merely professional, but legitimately COMPETENT people play a game at the highest level of intensity.

Watching a random webcam dumbass on jewtube or titwich stumble their way through a strategy-based game campaign for 20 hours is akin to watching a casual basketball game in a inner city playground where no one is getting called for traveling with the ball, and where no one passes the ball either.

The only videos of videogames you should be watching and not be a retard:
- Tool Assisted Speedruns, to see just how fucking spooky frame-perfect imputs and game breaking glitches are (like if a robot was playing it)
- Normal speedruns, which are essentially the absolutely top-tier of player skill and intensity. RTS maps that take hours finished in minutes (original starcraft) Sandbox games finished in only a few hours. (Factorio has got a sub-2 hours video) FPS games showing how broken they are, and how good someone can be at optimal play.
- 100% completion walkthroughs as long as they don't have dumbfuck commentary voice-over... unless it's the dumbfuck developer doing the commentary voice-over.
- A videogame that has comfy BGM/SFX again without commentary and you only listen to the video in the background, not watching it. (Command and Conquer)
>>
>>342350904
22 here and basically this. I'm still working my way through a back catalogue of cheap used last gen games that will last me another few years, by which time current gen games will cost the relative pittance they are worth
>>
>too old for vidya

Nope.

>industry left you behind

Somewhere around 2009.
>>
no such thing as too old for video games. that's like saying you're too old for yu-gi-oh and pokemon
>>
File: SporeTheShortHistoryOf.jpg (587 KB, 1262x2347) Image search: [Google]
SporeTheShortHistoryOf.jpg
587 KB, 1262x2347
>>342352508
> someone said THE WORD
posting it again
CAN'T WAKE UP

>>342350139
When i realised that the industry is trying to justify its own existence to the producers and big-name companies, with only a handful of genres (FPS, RPG, Sandbox/Toy, and """indie""") instead of merely allowing the developers to produce what they wish, wether it was successful in the market or not.
>>
Around 2007 when tacticool became a thing.

There are still a few nice games coming around though.

>>342356363
>>342355759
My brother-in-law started playing Battlefield 4 this year. He's 50 and as normal as it gets.
>>
>>342350139
>>
>>342356363
Men over 18 should not be playing Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh (or Magic or Dungeons and Dragons for that matter)
>>
>>342357059
But poker, model trains/airplanes, and civil war re-enactments are cool right?
>>
>>342357059

Men over 18 shouldn't give a fuck what other men do with their own free time
>>
>>342357315
/v/ will never get this.
>>
>>342356219
There is a big difference between watching competitive multiplayer matches and watching some fucktard play goat simulator.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 540x482) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 540x482
When games became movies. Now I just play old games mostly.
>>
When I watch people complain about the quality of graphics in literally any video game that isn't shitty indie trash or a poorly coded chinese knockoff these days, it boggles my mind.

I remember getting the first time I went over to my friend's house and seeing him play on the Mega Drive his dad had imported, it put my eyes in the back of my skull. Basically everything on the PS2 and beyond is absolute magic as far as I'm concerned, it looks better than fucking Toy Story, holy shit.
>>
>>342357225
>Poker
Makes money

>model trains/airplanes
Teaches real world mechanical knowledge and skills

>civil war reenactment
Historical knowledge and educational for others
>>
File: HoI4_1920x1080.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
HoI4_1920x1080.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Nigga GS games have no age limit
>>
>>342357717
>posts Hearts of Shit IV: Draw Arrows to the Enemy Capital to Win edition
>>
>>342357883

You mad I'm not playing Liquoria 2?
>>
>>342357428
Because /v/ is full of autism
>>
>>342355325
Since the minimum budget for a game apparently now has to be half a billion dollars, I guess they feel they're not allowed to try new stuff. What if it fails?!
>>
Over the shoulder shooters.

G E N E R I C fps shooters (ironsights and slow gameplay)

The all soulless open world galore of videogames came out.

"Action" cinematic games

When I saw this things I understood that the industry would become something I couldn't relate to anymore.
>>
I wonder what keeps you guys here.
Is it for the 3 good games that come out a year or something?

You all sound like grizzled old war vets who have seen some shit and just can't hack it anymore
>>
>>342358079

Alright I have been putting this off for the entire time you've been doing this, over a month now, atleast. I am really fucking annoyed by this meme. Victoria 2 is a great game, by far the greatest grand strategy of all time, in no other game can you manage an economy, your pops, your diplomacy, your taxes, your army and your sphere of influence at the same time. Victoria 2 takes every element of every game and makes it great? Your pathetic fucking mana/dynasty/OoB/insert single issue game simply can't compete. I've tried playing them, believe me. They are pathetic. You play them and you only have to manage one maybe two things. Hah, what is this mess? It's a botched job. A complete write off. And sure, if you like that sort of purile simplistic shit then more power too you, it's not my job to kick down your sandcastle. But why must I spend my time arguing this with you? Just because Victoria 2 is too complex for you doesn't mean it is for everyone. And when challenged you crawl back into your same abhorrent memery, because that's all this is, you don't have the slightest clue what you're saying or who you're messing with, because if you did you'd stop. Go back to playing your blob simulator, little man, because this general belongs to us. The true strategy gamers. Not your lame, disgusting casual shit. And you know the worst part? We can't even meme back. Hell, I'm sure there's some really overpowered trade good in EU4, but we can't say "hurr durr naval supplies" or whatever because the simple fact is nobody has played your favoured game since EU3, back before they dumbed it down for people like you. So well done, my friend, you made an intellectual victoria 2 fan MAD. You've achieved your greatest feat since you formed grossulmiums, mark this on your wall as a victory for your abysmal existence because I can tell you now, kiddo, this is your peak.
>>
>>342357623
> Magic and Pokemon TCG
Both make money, though most people play home games (just like poker!)

> D&D
Teaches reading, writing, and problems solving skills. As well as probabilities.
>>
Mobile gaming
>>
File: ew9rgx1bg6xspyapsjpi.jpg (88 KB, 970x1499) Image search: [Google]
ew9rgx1bg6xspyapsjpi.jpg
88 KB, 970x1499
>>
File: MegaManRedrawn.jpg (41 KB, 600x719) Image search: [Google]
MegaManRedrawn.jpg
41 KB, 600x719
>>342359342
>>
>>342350139
60 hours into a game and I realized I hadn't had fun at any point. It was just something to pass the time.
>>
>>342359720
Better execution, still too much of a busy pokemon Gen5+ tier design. Just like Mighty No 5.6
Why ruin already iconic and simple designs with that shit, no one's dividing Astroboys pants in multiple pieces with neon lights

But I digress. When I knew of this reboot I realized that the days of Mega Man X 1-3 will never come back
>>
>>342350139
In the middle of PS2/ Gamecube generation.
>>
File: 1406710199358.jpg (32 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
1406710199358.jpg
32 KB, 300x450
I never really grew out of it. It's just that back when I was young and unemployed, I could download and enjoy every AAA game, finish it in a couple of days and then have the next game ready. I was a GAMER.

Now that I'm old and unemployed, 90% of AAA games are shit and all I do is shitpost and complain. But there are still games that I enjoy.
>>
>>342350139
A couple years ago already. I only play ps1 era games now.
>>
In 2008 when i turned 18, and games subsequently got taken over by sjw and turned into nofun2deep4u shit. Last game i enjoyed conpletely was gta4
>>
File: RWsINUZ.jpg (102 KB, 568x335) Image search: [Google]
RWsINUZ.jpg
102 KB, 568x335
>>342350139

2007, horse armor just kicked me right in the nuts and soon took over the world
>>
>>342357717
every strategy game has a shit ai, so anything not designed with multiplayer in mind is a big no-no
>>
When 7th console gen began.

I was hype as shit when 6th gen started, but felt nothing for 7th gen. I don't even know why, I just didn't want it. I felt nothing.
>>
File: homeworld.jpg (208 KB, 709x945) Image search: [Google]
homeworld.jpg
208 KB, 709x945
remember when game of the year actually meant something?
>>
File: 1458837664417.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
1458837664417.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>342355351
>he didn't bring his tower and have 32 person LAN parties with people from every floor of the dorm
>>
>>342363090

I dropped out of college when I realized I was smarter than my professor when it came to IT, started my own company and now I run a lan center in the back and it's mostly college kids

not that guy, but it's interesting that the shitpost has some credibility
>>
>>342355351
>it's a "playing videogames is something to feel shy about" meme
>>
>>342355351
>working means you dont have time for hobbies
Love this meme
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.