[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this really as good as people pretend or is just nostalgia?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: crash-bandicoot.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
crash-bandicoot.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1080
Is this really as good as people pretend or is just nostalgia?

I just finished the Spyro trilogy for the first time and while at times the games can be excessively frustrating I loved it and it holds up very well today. For some reason I find Crash art direction and the 2.5D gameplay unappealing but maybe It's worth giving it a chance?
>>
It's just nostalgia.
>>
>>342340376

2 and 3 are much more fun, 1 is much more challenging but hasn't aged the greatest.

I mean, you should give them a try but you're not a horrible person if you don't like them.
>>
>>342340376
>2.5D gameplay
Crash is fully 3D.

That aside its still pretty fun, but nostalgia does have alot to do with it.
>>
>>342340376
it's better than people say
>>
>>342340376
It's complete shit, and it always was.
How anyone even remembers it when it came out around the same time as Spyro, SM64, Banjo Kazooie, Maximo, MediEvil etc. is beyond me.
>>
File: spyro1.webm (2 MB, 720x552) Image search: [Google]
spyro1.webm
2 MB, 720x552
>>342340376
It's not a bad game by any stretch, but there are far better 3d platformers in the 5th gen, both on Playstation and N64.
>>
>>342340750
you're just mad ape escape is for pedophiles
>>
>>342340557
I know what he means. There are some levels/sections which are essentially 3D side scrollers.
>>
Try playing crash 2. if you don't like that then you won't like any of them
>>
>>342340834
>There are some levels/sections which are essentially 3D side scrollers.
Super Mario Galaxy does this too. It's fucking gay. Shitty, lazy ass stage design.
>>
>>342340557
The gameplay is 3D with a 2D camera system. Basically 2.5D or "on-rails" with slightly more finesse
>>
>>342340376
I liked the first one at the time, but I immediately stopped giving a shit as soon as Super Mario 64 came out. Never played 2, and I remember Warped being ok, but nothing mindblowing. Jak and Daxter was honestly when Naughty Dog became relevant to me.
>>
>>342340376
Crash 1 aint that great
The platforming in crash 2 and 3 is great though, timeless
>>
Naughty Dog has never made a good game.
>>
>>342340376
Nah, it's all complete shit and nostalgia goggles. No one has ever played the game in recent memory and enjoyed it.
>>
>>342341005
"I have never played it in recent memory and enjoyed it" FTFY
>>
File: cbw.jpg (88 KB, 640x635) Image search: [Google]
cbw.jpg
88 KB, 640x635
>>342340376
Neither 1 nor 2 every really hit it out of the park.
Warped is god tier.
>>
>>342341362
This

The first and second Crash are good, but a lot of their popularity is fueled by nostalgia, which isn't an entirely bad thing, but there it is.

Warped is definitely where the series came into its own. Varied levels and challenges, engaging gameplay, nice asthetics, among others things.

If you wanna play a Crash game and know the series at its peak, play Warped.
>>
who the hell says it's fantastic? they're decent games.
>>
>>342341362
it had too many shitty vehicles and gimmicks. what's the point in getting all those nice powers if i'm in a jet ski or a fucking scuba kit and each hub has ~3 watered down regular levels

crash 1 and 2 are pure platforming with only a few distractions
>>
It's legitimately so much fun trying to 100% those games.
I'm interested to see how the remasters will look.
>>
>>342341897
I get where you're coming from but I like the variety Crash 3 gives you.

It was a real adventure, you never knew what the next level was going to be like.

nighttime Egyptian level
>>
Maybe you should play them and form your own opinion.

Personally I don't go a year without replaying them.
>>
>>342340376
nostalgia.

that one crash party game and the crash racing was good though
>>
>>342342061
I'll grant that it had relics too. those gave it a new depth
>>
>>342342095
That's what I'd normally do, but with old games like that it's harder to stick around if the first few levels are bad. Sometimes you need to play a game for a couple of hours before you start enjoying it. That's where people's opinion is useful.
>>
>>342340892
For Crash 1 yes, for 90% of Crash 2 and 3, no.
>>
>>342342246
>I need confirmation before I play a fucking videogame

kill yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 640x637
>>342341897
>gimmicks and unlockables are bad
You come across as a contrarian. You can always just not use them if you don't like, but arguing it's bad to have those in the game is just silly.
>>
Save system ruins the game i think, but thats avoided by using an emulator. It's worth playing, but the later games are much better.
>>
>>342342546
This. The save system in Crash 1 is god awful

I hope they change that in the remaster/remake
>>
File: TawnaBandicoot1c.jpg (235 KB, 550x900) Image search: [Google]
TawnaBandicoot1c.jpg
235 KB, 550x900
>>
>>342342451
I'm talking about the non platforming levels. Those sure aren't optional
>>
File: CrashBandicoot20Years2c.jpg (218 KB, 550x900) Image search: [Google]
CrashBandicoot20Years2c.jpg
218 KB, 550x900
>>
>>342342991
Not a big fan of Zembillas design, he makes Crash seem completely detached from everything, while the Naughty Dog one reacts with a lot of emotion to things.
>>
>>342340376
>2.5D
Is this the same poster? This is ALWAYS said; yes, there are a few "2D" Platforming levels but what's the problem with that? Slippery Climb and the Sunset stages are good. I'll never understand why you would ask.
Emulate it and see if you like it. Why can't you think for yourself? There's not much to discuss, the game's 20 years old. It's a good, solid game and I 100% it every year.
>>
File: NeoCortex20Years3a.jpg (203 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
NeoCortex20Years3a.jpg
203 KB, 700x900
>>
They're fun, competently made games, but people who seriously think Crash is on the same level as Mario or Sonic in significance are delusional.
>>
>>342340376
I love its artstyle and think it aged really well despite being a 3D game, in fact I don't really see the point in it being ported in HD when the original is just fine.

Gameplay-wise, it's a fun timekiller and has a shitload of secrets, but the mechanics themselves are too simple and I think everything that could be done with Crash has been done.
I think that's the main reason Crash became shittier and shittier, turned into wonky shovelware that doesn't even reflect the original trilogy and fucking died in the first place.
>>
>>342341897
The other crash games still had gimmicks, such as the jetpack levels and chase levels, but they weren't as common as they were in 3. Also most of those levels had you playing as coco instead, which I felt was a great way to include her.

Also the traditional levels weren't watered down. Most I felt had depth to them and their collectibles, which I why they were replayed so much to get 100%
>>
>>342343349
Forgot to mention, CTR on the other hand is up there with the best Kart racers.
>>
>>342343349
You can't really compare Crash to those games anyway. Gameplay, besides "you make your way from start to finish with obsticles" is just too different
>>
>>342343469
I meant in terms of significance to the industry. Crash didn't exactly break any new grounds or do much new in the way Mario and Sonic did.
>>
>>342341362
2 is vastly superior
>>
>>342343562
If he wasn't so significant, why was he a mascot and why did everybody love him.

The truth is, he was significant but he's had his time. Much like Sonic. Take perspective with less prejudice and bias.
>>
>>342343562
Sonic was groundbreaking? That's news to me. It was the first game that played itself, right?
>>
>>342343562
It was the first actually good platformer for Playstation, and it did set the standard for playstation games. Also it was very aesthetically impressive and they created levels in a very strategic way to keep things impressive while maintaining good fps.

Of course its relevance died with the Playstation, but Sonic's relevance died with the Mega Drive/Genesis.
>>
i remember playing it at a friends house as a kid
i had a hard time with the levels that were essentially 2d platformers in 3d space. when ever there was an enemy or section that needed me to do the slide kick attack i'd always press down and attack which is what it would normally be in a 2d platformer but in 3d space i'd just slide off the path into death
>>
>>342342695
I'm deeply convinced video games are the source of furry degeneracy.
>>
>>342340750
>>Lists 5th generation platformers
>>Maximo
>>
>>342340376
I was playing Crash 2 and it's kind of meh really as well as awkward because no analog support.
>>
>7 year old me decides to start playing Crash 2 for the first time
>Sit down and get right into it
>Play for a few hours and make great progress
>Want to stop and do something else, look for memory stick
>Panic as I remember my brother took them all to his friend's house for the weekend or something
>Can't walk away without saving, dishonor upon my famry
>Buckle up homestuck
>Marathon the entire game late into the night

I don't even remember if I finished it that night, though I've finished it since. Still one of my favorite and earliest gaming memories and one of my favorite games
>>
>>342344595
>no analog support.
I'm pretty sure there is.
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>342344534
It's not. Furry shit was a big deal in the 90's. Most western cartoons had cool furry characters. Anime not so much. You had shit like Swat Kats, Biker Mice from Mars, Ninja Turtles, etc.
>>
>>342342061
>>342342451
>muh variety

You can have variety in platforming by having different levels focus on different aspects of the game (i.e. crash 1 has side-scrolling and normal 3d levels). Adding a bunch of gimmicky vehicle section shit is the worst form of variety because the game isn't playing to its strengths.
>>
>>342344491
You might actually have a legit cognitive disorder. I'm not messing about or being rude, not even here.

>>342344595
>>342344692
Crash 2 does have analog support, you have to set it up in the options and you have to manually press the analog button. I play it anually, when I decided to try it, the option to calibrate it is called "CTR" and by that time, I already had CTR
>>
>>342344817
Well, I had tons of fun with those levels and always found it great when they were around. Most people I know loved them too.
>>
>>342344692
Not on 2.
>>
>>342344534
They merely fueled it.
Blame animated movies with talking animals.
>>
Crash is fine but the levels can be repetitive and there's not much to it.
Spyro on the other hand keeps the title of best ps1 platformer, the original trilogy is great.
>>
>>342340376
I loved 1 for the challenge it represented, played it for the first time 6 months ago and it was a good game. 2 and 3 while being more casual are also too into mini-games for my tastes.
Crash 1 is the best of the series for pure platform but 2 and 3 are good for mindless fun.
>>
>tfw we'll never get a spyro remaster of the trilogy

I mean crash is cool, but spyro was king comfy and felt like a proper adventure, maybe one day
>>
>>342344317
It ran at an impressive 25 frames per second. Granted there was no real standard back then and nobody really knew what was best for 3D games. It's still not that impressive considering the game only renders small areas of levels.

Compare it to Spyro with its huge detailed levels, pretty textures, complex geometry, use of LoD and primitive shaders.
>>
Reminder that if you like Spyro over Crash, you don't like platformers
>>
>>342344825
>the option to calibrate it is called "CTR"
You know that's for the screen position right?
>>
>>342344962
I think that Im going to replay Spyro 2. I finished the first one on mobile in my bed the other day, top comfy tbqh.
It was longer that I remember, took me a while to reach the 120%.
>>
Crash was always shit compared to Spyro.
>>
>>342344812
>>342344903
I wonder if we have Thundercats to blame for that.
>>
>>342340376

I guess, but 2 and especially 3 are when the series truly shines.
>>
>>342345114
That's just your shit opinion.
>>
>>342343413
>I love its artstyle and think it aged really well despite being a 3D game, in fact I don't really see the point in it being ported in HD when the original is just fine.

this, the ps1 crash games look a lot better than the ps1 ones which haven't aged nearly as well

the amount of hd remakes coming out for games that still look good is a bit baffling actually
>>
>>342345093
>>342344882
Try it out nerds. Crash 2 has analog support, at least in the PAL version I have. I'll boot up my netyaroze and take a photo if I have to
>>
>>342340376
They are good in the context of their time. I liked 2 the most because 3 turned the series into 70% minigame nonsense. They haven't aged that well but I still find 2 fun, 1 feels really dated. Spyro has aged like fine wine but is a lot easier now than when I was young.
>>
>>342344825
>>342344692
I think he's playing the PSN version. For some reason it didn't have analog support even though Sony supposedly doesn't alter their games when putting it on the store.
>>
>>342342061
While this was true for the first two worlds everything after that was recycled and the gimmicks really didn't last.
>>
>>342344817
sure is summer
>>
>>342342451
>just not use them
That involves not playing the game past the second level.
>>
>>342340376
it's a meme game that the youtube/twitch generation put on a pedestal
>>
>>342344962
good

I dont need any untalented hacks to ruin the aesthetics os Spyro
>>
>>342345553
Thanks for the response
>>
>>342341897

But crash plataforming is pretty bad.

The gimmicks themselves are much better, and make warped a good game.
>>
>>342345851
>But crash platforming is pretty bad.

name some games with good platforming
>>
File: we are one and the same.jpg (11 KB, 336x150) Image search: [Google]
we are one and the same.jpg
11 KB, 336x150
My parents give me Crash 1 and Kirby Super Star for 1996 Xmas.

I was in awe by the textures and details of crash, but the game bored me easy, while kirby was full of awesome gameplay.

Crash Bandicoot is pretty but a very hollow experience if you used to better gameplay. Of course PS was barren of good 3D plataformers (with the exception of Jumpling Flash games) by 96-97, so I can understand why PSX users love Crash.
>>
>>342340376
you can ignore most responses in this thread, most people have their own opinions.
play/beat crash 3 first. if you like it, play crash 2 which is a harder version of 3. crash 1 kinda sucks because there was no analog stick at the time, only dpad.
>>
>>342340376
That only applies to Crash 1.
Vast majority of Crash 2 and 3 is pure 3D.
>>
FACE IT:

Crash

Bandicoot

Is

A

Glorified

Temple

Run
>>
>>342346193
I'm gonna have to charge you for that (You), sir.
>>
>>342341649
Crash 2 did all of those things without being dragged down by too many gimmick levels.
>>
>>342345851
The gimmicks were lazzy and uninteresting. The jetski and the auto-scrolls are some of the worst ideas in a 3D platformer. And they were recycled several times in the same game.
>>
>>342346193
Kill yourself for being so objectively wrong
>>
>>342345116
It's mostly the fault of the Disney Robin Hood movie.
>>
i hate open world platformers so its only good platforming game for ps1 gen
>>
It's a frustrating shitfest. You die all the time because you have no clue what's ahead and the only way to beat levels is to memorize everything. The save system is beyond fucked, you can die at the save stage. If you run out of lives you have to restart from the last stage, which means replaying 2 or 3 levels again just to have another shot at the shit that killed you.

I don't mind this sort of bullshit in old NES sidescrollers but fuck that shit in 3D games.
>>
>>342347962
Savestates fix it :^)
>>
>>342348057
Just give me more than 3 lives. Or at least me me restart at the beginning of the level when I lose them all.
>>
>>342340892
> 3D with a 2D camera system

That's not what that means, by your logic God of War is 2.5D....

Crash 1 has seven 2.5D (mostly 2D gameplay in a 3D world), but the other 3/4s of the levels are "normal" 3D levels except you can't move the camera.
>>
>>342347962
>the only way to beat levels is to memorize everything
Why do people consider this a bad thing? Rhythm games and racing games both work this way. Why is it a bad thing in platformers?

>hurr u have to practice to get gud, bad game!!!!
>>
collecting all the gems in spyro is so tedious
>>
Crash was genuinely good.

The love for Croc is entirely fueled by nostalgia.
>>
>>342348428
Would you believe that there are people on /v/ right now that think being a collectathon is a major requirement to being a 3D platformer?
>>
>>342340548
Due to the gameplay being just running and jumping, I definitely think 1 aged the best. The retarded save system is really the only thing holding it back. Both 2 and 3 on the other hand have a whole bunch of gimmicks that feel terrible by today's standard.
>>
>>342348556
Because it's literally artificial difficulty? In case of crash it's also very frustrating because you're pretty much guaranteed to die even if you're good at platformers. You just waste your time doing the same uninteresting thing over and over again until you get lucky or burn the level in your brain and muscles to the point you're jadded.

Different things work for different genres, in case of rythm games you want to practice the song until you can perfect it. In case of racing games, I disagree there is a large room for personal skill. In case of 3D platformers you want to make some progress, see different levels, enjoy the level design, not make 3 steps back for every step you make forward.
>>
>Collectathons
Yeah, no get cancer and die.
Crash >>>>>>>>>>> Spyro
>>
Crash 1 is a hot steaming pile of shit.
Crash 2 is great.
Crash 3 is a bit less great than 2.
CTR is GOAT.
>>
>>342349007
>I disagree there is a large room for personal skill.
Oh I see, you're the type of retard that think memorizing things isn't part of the process of developing a skill.
>you don't have to memorize tracks and inputs in racing games to get good times.
And you're delusional too.
>>
>>342349007
Well, that's your opinion. Personally I like platformers to be challenging, and platforming that anyone can beat on the first try will always be piss easy. I agree that the save system in Crash 1 is pants on head retarded though, but other than that I love the game.
>>
>>342349007
>I deserve to already be good at games without playing them beforehand!!!
>>
>>342340376
2 is great, 1 is good, and 3 is... okay.

3 is just too gimmicky with not enough actual platforming. Like for fucks sake the first warp room only has 2 platforming levels in it.
>>
File: bullshit.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
OP, here. Holy shit these things came from hell. Please tell me the rest of the game isn't like that.
>>
>>342349607
>stretched
>filtered

The fuck emulator are you using to get it to look that bad holy shit
>>
>>342341362
3 seemed god tier as a child but it quickly fell from grace when I got older and realized more doesn't mean better.
>>
>>342349395
What's wrong with a more balanced game where you don't have to die every 3 steps and replay the last 3 levels just to get another shot?

Jak 2 manages to be very challenging at times while remaining fun to play and without making you replay the last 5 missions because they decided the save spot killed you.
>>
>>342349767
I know what you mean. As a kid I used to feel 3 > 2 > 1, but after replaying them all some time ago I now feel the exact opposite.
>>
>>342342451
3/5 of the first warp room are gimmick levels.

We're not talking about having a bazooka or anything as an upgrade. We mean the underwater levels, dog fighting, jet ski, motorcycle levels that run rampant in that game.
>>
>>342349607
You'll have trouble to adapt to the jumping mechanics, but every jump expected to cross a gap is nearly identical. With a bit of training you'll learn the right rythm to get through the game. When you're not sure what's the exact distance between two platforms, you need to rely on this timing.
The first crash had issues about 3D and perspective. But as long as you're patient it will pay off.
>>
>>342349741
It's just ePSXe with the fancy graphics option. The stretching isn't a big deal since it's a cartoony game. Do you want me to play in 320p unfiltered with black bars on the sides on a 50" 1080p TV? Because that looks attrocious.
>>
>>342348745
>really liked croc as a kid
>come back to it as an adult
>tank controls
>in a platformer

How did I do it as a kid? The world and characters are really nice, but holy shit that control scheme.
>>
>>342349607
Not sure exactly what you're having trouble with, but the game gets a hella lot more challenging than that.
>>
It's 100% nostalgia. The best parts of the Crash Franchise are the spinoffs, besides that the main series has very shallow gameplay, it really is a 2D series, you just follow the path to the end, no challenged beside level hazards of which most are jumped over or you spin into them. Crash 2 is slightly better game than the 1st but the 3rd is a total gimmick fest. The mainline games are really nothing special, there were better platformers on the playstation at the time (Spyro as you mentioned), and even better platformers on the N64 (Mario64 which literally perfected the genre on its first try).

give them a go if you want OP but if you didn't grow up with them you probably won't like them. Music is pretty good I must say
>>
File: 8b29pnu.gif (969 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
8b29pnu.gif
969 KB, 250x175
>before E3
>/v/ loved Crash to death
>after E3
>/v/ suddenly hates Crash and thinks it's just nostalgia

Love how you shitters come out the woodwork, where were you before E3, you hypocrites?
>>
>>342340792
Wtf? Those were my strats. I'm the only one who did this.
>>
>>342350127
Just increase the internal resolution and use the widescreen hack if you MUST play it without the black bars.
>>
rank 'em
>>
>>342350302
either you weren't the only one who did this, or that's you in the video.
>>
>>342350184
Who cares 3d mario was shit after 64. They never could capture it again
>>
>>342350318
The timeline is the ranking.
>>
>>342350183
Lack of precision. The controls feel extremely clunky and imprecise. It's mostly due to the lack of analog support, the jump is also weird, it lacks that "floatiness" that is present in other platformer games. To sum it up I feel like I'm fighting agains the controls rather than the levels.
>>
>>342350413
Sunshine had interesting movement tech at least, but yeah, for the most part you're right.
>>
>>342350413
3D Mario never sold very well. They try to push consumers into 3D with marios between 3D and 2D, with 3D world and 3D Land, but it is not granted yet.

Once the average consumer will be used to 3D control schemes they will surely produce more 3D mario games. Sales just need to follow.
>>
>>342350267
I've always been here and Crash has always been overrated by newfags, normies and casuals.
The only good thing it has is its story of how ND got a PS1 devkit thanks to Mark Cerny back at Universal and hacked Crash into it.
>>
>>342350318
>crash had tattoos
What the fuck is that garbage?
>>
>>342350615
>3D Mario never sold very well
Imagine being this delusional.
>>
>>342350462
It will take a while before you get the gist of it. It won't be fun for the first hours but once you'll have mastered the control, you'll see how fair the game is and how challenging it is. If you want to 100% the game you need to beat each level with only one life and break every crate in the level.

It is very rewarding to reach the 100%. And after that when you watch a speedrunner doing it, you can only have respect for the guy.
>>
File: hellfellowkids.gif (3 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
hellfellowkids.gif
3 MB, 250x250
In the first game remaster they have to fix that blatant lag delay they have on the game and the saving system and it will be perfect.

Also please naughty dog bring back the thrust
>>
>>342350615
Can't speak for anyone else, but I just don't like collectathons. 3D World is my favourite 3D Mario due to it actually having focused linear levels.

>>342350792
2D Mario games sells a shit ton more in comparison.
>>
>>342350318
obviously 2016 is the best
it's objectively the greatest and anyone who thinks otherwise i purely wrong objectively and should porbably kill themselves.
>>
>>342350792
Compared to 2D ones, they never did as well. Nintendo can't push the casual into 3D platforming and that's why they came back to the "NSMB" series and tried progressively to have a more 2D/3D approach with 3DLand and World.
>>
>>342350413
>3D Mario was shit after Mario64
>Crash never reached the height of 3D Mario
>people are hyped for Crash
??
>>
>>342350318
1996>2004=2016>2005>2003 (brown eyebrows just ruin it)>>>>>>>>>2007>2008
>>
>>342351137
>Liking 2016 crash
>>
File: top of the town.webm (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
top of the town.webm
2 MB, 540x360
Imagine wanting focused linear levels instead of open playgrounds where your freedom scales with your movement skill.
>>
>>342351186
What's wrong with it aside from the head being a bit too big
>>
>>342350318
2003 = 2004 = 2005 > 1996 > 2007 > 2008 > 2016
>>
>>342350906
> blatant lag delay

Hi DSP, are you sure you armt just playing a Ps1 game on a digital TV?
>>
>using 2D as an insult
I don't really like Crash but what the fuck is wrong with 2D platformers you retards.
>>
>>342351247
>Too much fur
>off shaped head especially the jaw
>eyebrow thickness
>hair
>a neck
>>
File: tfw no dmc5.png (202 KB, 800x767) Image search: [Google]
tfw no dmc5.png
202 KB, 800x767
>>342350267
DEVIL MAY CRY IS A STUPID SERIES
Its just pure nostalgia and nothing else!
Who even wants this garbage!
>>
>>342350671
Why do you lie on /v/ ?
>>
>>342351356
They're mechanically shallow, usually.

There are exceptions of course, like with Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island.
>>
>>342351284
>I've never played Crash 1

You kind of adjust to it but it's horrible
>>
>>342345075
Reminder that is you liked either, you didn't have access to an N64.
>>
>>342351560
I loved Spyro 1 and I think Super Mario 64 is the greatest 3d platformer ever made.

Shut the fuck up with your autistic generalizations.
>>
>>342351517
I have always been here, you're just new and thought the three Crash threads you'd seen to be the common denominator, most agree that the series found its footing at 2, that 1 was a tech demo that bothered more with occlussion and rendering than obstacles and level design, they added the crates because the levels were empty and they were resource-friendly.
>>
>>342351560
The first spyro is pretty good to be fair.
>>
>>342350953
> but I just don't like collectathons
That's understandable, but collectathons offers so many possibilities in term of what the player can do to reach the end that they can afford having harder collectibles.

The casual can stop at 70 stars in mario 64, having collected the "easiest" stars and completed "only" 60% of the game, which leaves a good third of the game aimed at people liking 3D platformers and wanting more just for the fun.

With a linear approach, you don't get this impression of freedom. You get more worlds in 3DLand, but they are just remixes of the vanilla worlds. And the amount of stars needed to access later worlds in 3D world make it seem that when you "beat" the game, you haven't beaten it yet.

The feeling of having optional hard things to do is great and collectathons are perfect for that.
>>
>You will never be coolest dude on the block again simply because you had plat in every crash 3 level
>>
>>342351560
M64 was never good
>>
>>342350318
I hate the new rapist redesign
>>
>>342351787
>having that much autismo to go after platinums
>>
>>342340376
Crash Bash is the shit
>>
Every time I replay Crash games, I just get happy. No other games have made grin as much
>>
>>342352308
I get the same feeling when playing Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. I just feel stupidly happy to play it with the orchestral music and how responsive and smooth mario moves are. It is just pure fun.
>>
>>342352308
>unique animation for every death
>whimsical soundtrack
>incredible enemy design (my favorite is the scientist motif in Warped)
>vivid and colorful art direction
>lighthearted sense of humor

Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>342352442
SMG mario was stiff as fuck. Most watered down, casualized movement in any Mario game except for maybe NSMB.
>>
>>342343349

Sonic is shit and always has been
>>
>>342352479
>incredible enemy design
>every enemy either walks back and forth or throws shit at you in a timly fashion
>>
>>342352638
I meant the actual design of the enemies, their AI and patterns are braindead like anything this side of MGS2.
>>
>>342352723
>turtles with spikes and buzz saws
>penguins and seals
>regular tribal people
>giant versions of regular animals
>>
>>342352479
>unique animation for every death

That was the best; with easy enemies I would sometimes get hit on purpose to see how Crash died
>>
>>342352772
>greentexting makes something bad
>>
>>342340450
I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and found it fun. So there goes that.
>>
>>342352814
Doesn't make it good either.
Seriously though they were generic as fuck.
>>
>>342352841
N-no i-it's just fake fun
m-mario 64 hehe
>>
>>342352573
Yes but I don't play Galaxies and other 3D Mario the same way. I play Galaxy games in a relaxed way, just listening the music and letting myself go with the flow. I don't really think when playing those games.
I'm more tense when I play Sunshine and 64 because those games are more complex. They are indeed rewarding but it is not the same fun I have when I play them. In Galaxy I know that I can hardly fail what I'm trying to do. In Sunshine and 64 I know that I can easily have to recollect the 100 coins in the clock if I fail my jump.

Galaxy are way more comfy. Less rewarding, but also less frustrating. It is just fun.
>>
>>342352772
>Cortex assistants with glasses dressed differently according to the time period
everything else could've simply been animals and the game would still have great enemy design in my book
Also you have to keep in mind how recognizable they were at the time.
>>
File: 1209278-dingodile_5.jpg (13 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1209278-dingodile_5.jpg
13 KB, 320x320
>>342352875
>generic as fuck
>>
worst opinions i've ever read on this site right here
>>
>>342351749
I'm not a very creative person desu, so I guess that's why I don't enjoy collectathons very much. You can definitely do really cool shit in 64/Sunshine, but you need to come up with your own paths to have fun, and unless you're speedrunning there's no reason to do that since the game doesn't force you.
However, I think the secret courses in Sunshine are amazing, since all you have is a straight goal with challenging platforming in the way. That's the reason I love Crash too, all you need to do is get to the end and all the challenge is served to you. You don't need to make up your path to have fun.
>>
>>342342405
He made a perfectly reasonable point idiot
>>
>>342352993
>dingo with a crocodile tail and flamethrower named "dingodile"
Come on anon.
>>
>>342348873
This right here. The third lost me because of all the extra crap they tried to throw in with the basic mechanics.
>>
I'm replaying the original trilogy, right now I'm on Warped. Was Wrath of Cortex good? I never played it.
I fucking loved Twinsanity though. I hope they take more inspiration from that game for the remasters, because it felt very lively and full of imagination.
>>
>>342344882
But you're wrong you fucking retard
>>
>>342353313
How the fuck is that generic?

Yeah sure, the name is generic as hell "oh it's a mish-mash, so we'll mish-mash the name" but a dingo-crocodile hybrid pyromaniac? Name me one other. Not just in games, in anything. You can even use some kids fucking deviantart comic where he has Crocodingo the mutant with a crocodile head on a dingo body and it throws dynamite.
>>
>>342353876
Dingodile is actually the best name he could have gotten, it rolls off the tongue perfectly.
I really like Tiny Tiger. Him and Brio.
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>342348745
Oh my fucking god I played it a week ago and forgot how poorly made it was.
>>
>>342353876
Not him, but to be honest, it clearly lacks charisma.
>>
>>342353112
>unless you're speedrunning there's no reason to do that since the game doesn't force you.
what about doing it because it's fun? most of the fun i have in SM64 is just fucking around with parkour and seeing what i'm capable of. i've probably spent 3x more time doing in a maxed out file than i spent maxing out the file in the first place.
>>
>>342340376

They're great, simple games. Crash 1 is positively a challenging game, 2 has the best level design, and 3 is like 2 but replace some of the proper platforming levels with minigames of various quality.
>>
>>342354012
It's a fucking villain
>>
>>342354012
What does that even mean?
>>
>>342353770

Wrath of Cortex is decent. It's a total Crash 3 clone, but I found the minigame levels in WoC better than the ones in 3. Avoid the PS2 version.
>>
>>342353770
Wrath of Cortex is generally considered to be meh. It's basically just a rehash of Warped.

Twinsanity is the only post-ND Crash game that I'd say is good. It could have even been great, maybe even better than Warped, if Vivendi hadn't forced Traveller's Tales to rush it.
>>
>>342354320
I'm planning on playing the GameCube version on my Wii U.

>>342354369
Yeah, playing it kind of makes me sad.
>no good cortex
>no koala kong
>no other dimension
>>
>>342354285
It means it is just a beast with a flamethrower on its back. It is whacky "lol so random", but that doesn't make him a great villain. Cortex has charisma, the dumb dingo guy has charisma, the little guy half machine has some sort of a charisma. This one is just a baddie with a meh design.
Its design doesn't give any idea on its personality excepting he wants to burn crash. He just doesn't look weird enough.
>>
>>342354285
That's it's not a thought out design.
It's more like they pulls things from a hat and put them together.

I mean you're dealing with a game about mutants, there's a lot of leeway and you get that?
>>
>>342354012
As if that matters when he's a bad guy.
>>
>>342354716
That IS the dumb dingo guy.
That's Dingodile.
>>
>>342354742
>That's it's not a thought out design.
Well then we aren't talking about charisma.
>>
>>342354747
Charisma always matters, especially to a villain.
That's what makes them stand out.
>>
>>342354089
Like I said, I'm just not very creative. If I'm not given a goal, I don't have much motivation to do something.
>>
File: ripper roo.png (35 KB, 209x251) Image search: [Google]
ripper roo.png
35 KB, 209x251
>>342354783
I meant him
>>
>>342350318
im glad they were like "wow the tribal tattoos on fur is fucking stupid" and got rid of them if that is the actual model for 2016
>>
>>342354979
That's a kangaroo
>>
>>342354979
Dude, ripper roo is a kangaroo.
But he did have charisma over Dingodile.
>>
>>342354979
>dingodile is a wacky "lol so random" beast with a flamethrower
>ripper roo is a kangaroo in a straight jacket who is insane and screams gibberish and yet is the one with """charisma"""
Your idea of "charisma" boils down to the fact that you like one design over the other.
>>
>>342354947
Maybe if he held any relevance to the plot. But he doesn't, he's a boss in a video game whose purpose is to test your level of skill. The only thing that matters to him is his design and how well his boss fight was designed.
>>
People just say they like Crash so they can pretend they always liked Naughty Dog.
>>
>>342355292
It's not even about the design.
Ripper had some personality to him that set him apart. Dingodile is just a Dingo croc hybrid with a flamethrower.
That's it.
>>
>>342355292
It's more of a personality thing. A kangaroo in a straight jacket is bond to be a crazy boss, not necessarily having bad intents, and you can expect a weird boss fight.
The mafia guy with a tommy gun and a tuxedo lets you expect a boss wanting to keep you out of his business.
The dingo with a flamethrower doesn't give you any idea of what he is and what he wants by its looks only.
>>
File: 1333800108692.jpg (55 KB, 550x412) Image search: [Google]
1333800108692.jpg
55 KB, 550x412
>>342355518
>Ripper had some personality to him that set him apart
Of what, that he's a nutcase? Dingodile taunts you a couple of times before you start a few of the levels with a strong Australian accent. Even in CTR Ripper Roo's entire schtick is that he's off his rocker.
>>
>>342355361
>Maybe if he held any relevance to the plot.
This literally doesn't matter at all. There are one time characters in other games with more charisma than Dingodile who's a recurring character in the series.

It's one of the few reasons I liked Viewtiful Joe, every boss was interesting, memorable and had something to set them apart upon first glance.
It's too bad I can't play the games since my ps2 went belly up.
>>
>>342355469
i dont remember any other game i like besides crash from naughty dog
have ps1 games around there too. dunno where exactly
>>
>>342355824
>Even in CTR Ripper Roo's entire schtick is that he's off his rocker.
Which is considerably more entertaining than
>OI OIM AN AUSSIE THING
I can literally experience the same thing by getting drunk in australia and starting a fight.
>>
File: CHAR.png (296 KB, 566x608) Image search: [Google]
CHAR.png
296 KB, 566x608
>>342340376
Its fucking trash sold whole sale. Its so fucking mad I get so fucking mad looking at stills from this game, and like Jesus Christ crashes design is so fucking god damn cringey 90's. I died a little hearing it was getting a HD re-release.
>>
>>342355752
You make it sound as if there's any build up to Ripper and Pinstripe's fights outside of the 1-3 second intro to those levels. Chances are that you won't even be able to tell he's in a straight jacket on first glance. You see a wall in Generator Room moments before Pinstripe's fight that lets you know he's a boss, but again until you enter the level and he immediately starts shooting at you you've got no idea of what to expect. Dingodile is no different from either of these two. He's just another mutant like Tiny.
>>
>>342350318
all of them are fucking trash.
>>
>>342355959
That's entirely your opinion and again has nothing to do with what charisma is.
>>
>people not liking crash

WHAT, Crash is one of the best 3d platformers. People who complain about artifical difficulty are either shit at fucking games or have fucking add. When I was a kid I could complete this shit easy, surley you fuckers can do it, JESUS.

It has a goty soundtrack, complete and original theme, sweet as fuck boss levels and a sweet little bandicoot as a main character. It's so varied in themes and levels that each one is almost completly differen't from the last I mean compare the first few levels in crash 3 to the one's that are in space.

It even has a lot of hidden levels and gems for people who enjoy completing the game 100. And don't even get me started on ctr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPm_4Mv8lVo
>>
>>342356240
So what you're saying is that you're okay with characters that don't stand out at all and have nothing to them whatsoever.
>>
>>342356273
>I unironically support putting forced input lag in games
>>
>>342356152
They still have a better design than dingo x crocodile guy.
>>
>>342356393

The controls are clunky sure, but after a 5 minute adjustment surely you can deal with it.

What else do you even have to pick at other than that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKazAmOUlbw
>>
>>342350302
Literally everyone did that
>>
>>342356375
If we were talking about a boss that was just another one of those mass produced mooks that dress differently according to the level that you find throughout the series then you'd have a point. But Dingodile does stand out. If you don't like him that's fine, but he does stand out and is unique.
>>
>>342350302
yeah, you were back when the game was new and the net was non existent. now, you find that everyone and their mother did this too and you are among thousands of like minded people.

scary huh?
>>
>>342356553
>But Dingodile does stand out.
By being Australian with a flamethrower.
Right, and I'm Michael Jordan.
>>
>>342356467
Crashes design is fucking terrible from top to bottom, and at the time there were a million better platformers to spend you time with other then shitty camera placement, forced input lag the game.
>>
>>342355959
>I can literally experience the same thing by getting drunk in australia and starting a fight.

That would be quite the experince to be honest. And if that isn't charisma in a nutshell I don't know what fucking is.
>>
>>342350615
HOLY SHIT!

LOOK AT THE FUCKING CHILD WHO WASN'T FUCKING ALIVE IN 1996!

yeah fucker, if you were, you would KNOW of the sickening amount of hype Mario 64 had.
>>
>>342356681
>Crashes design is fucking terrible from top to bottom

Go on,
>>
>>342356464
That's your opinion. But it still has nothing to do with charisma.
>>
>>342356273
> It's so varied in themes and levels that each one is almost completly differen't from the last

excepting that levels are paired, out of the 25 mandatory level in Crash 2, you have maybe 13 themes and two levels for each one.
Crash 1 had each level's layout reused 2 to 3 times.
>>
>>342356651
Did you forget the part about how he's half dingo half crocodile? And don't give me any of that shit about "hurr well he's so forgettable that I forgot". Design-wise he does stand out.
>>
>>342356778

What I'm talking about is that each theme as you said is complete varied and interesting. You go from medievil castles to underwater fishing, to egyptian temples.
>>
>>342356767
Hes so fucking RAD 90's its cringe-y to look at him. Jean shorts, fingerless gloves that fucking dumb ass smile like EHEHEHE KIDS SKATE BOARDS AM I RIGHT IM JUST LIKE YOU WOAH WATCH OUT IM CRASH WOAH.
Terrible fucking mascot I'm glad he got a million redesigns that made the retarded trash that ate up his substandard games mad.
>>
>>342356749
Try to follow the conversation instead of taking a post out of context. Mario 64 was hyped but the 3D Marios still sold less than the 2D mario. NSMB turds sell more than Galaxy/Sunshine games.
>>
>>342350462
yep controls feel like lagging behind

desu the biggest reason why I simply couldnt like crash 1
>>
>>342357007

Calm down kiddo, I'm pretty sure that crash is loved by everyone. I bet people still love you even in your shitty cargo fucking pants.
>>
>>342357172
>I'm pretty sure that crash is loved by everyone
classic fan boy on /v/ when confronted with someone who doesn't like what he likes he retreats to his safe space, even going so far as to delude himself that N-NUH ONE COULD DIS LIKE CRISH BUNDACAAT.
>>
>>342356927
>Did you forget the part about how he's half dingo half crocodile?
Dude, the only part of his design that even shows the croc part of him is the tail.
>>
>>342357007
>EHEHEHE KIDS SKATE BOARDS AM I RIGHT IM JUST LIKE YOU WOAH WATCH OUT IM CRASH WOAH.

What
>>
>>342357290

Alright, thanks for the threapy session fraud, I'll see you next week yeah?
>>
>>342357309
And?
>>
>>342356273
I think everyone could complete this shit. The question is how long will it take, how much of that time is replaying the same levels over and over again, how much frustrating will it get and ultimately how fun is it going to be. Personally I feel like the challenge comes from the shitty imprecise and unresponive controls rather than the game design which is never a good thing.

Spyro can be very challenging at times, especially if you are going for the (relative) 100%. And that game is still fun, because the controls are good, you're in full control of Spyro, if you fuck up it's your own fault. While if you fall in water in Crash it's 99% of the time because the controls lack precision.
>>
>>342357290
>>342357007
>>342356749
Remember to not give attention to this retard.
>>
Crash 1 has aged like milk.
Crash 2 is top tier
Crash 3 is great, but too many non-platforming levels.

2 > 3 >> 1
>>
File: #grunge#emotional#sadboyz.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
#grunge#emotional#sadboyz.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>342357417
got em
>>
>>342357453
>While if you fall in water in Crash it's 99% of the time because the controls lack precision.

Well, I don't know if that's an actual statistic. But I'm sure it's true.
>>
>>342357007
it's too videogamey, amirite ?
>>
>>342350318
2005 = 2004 > 2003 > 1996 > 2016 >>> 2008 > 2007
>>
>>342357007

>woah watch out im crash woah

are you okay?
>>
>>342357538
>mom someone on /v/ doesn't like my game!
>>342357581
You make a lot of threads beginning with why is this allowed? don't you?
>>
>>342357453
>I think everyone could complete this shit. The question is how long will it take, how much of that time is replaying the same levels over and over again, how much frustrating will it get and ultimately how fun is it going to be. Personally I feel like the challenge comes from the shitty imprecise and unresponive controls rather than the game design which is never a good thing.

This statement isn't enterly true, I'm pretty sure the ps2 games didn't have any imput lag at all. As far as I can remember? And they were still pretty hard.
>>
>>342350318
1996 and 2003 are the best, although the 2003 version's colors are a bit odd. not sure why.

2004 and 2005 are decent, crash looks a bit weird though.

2016 design looks surprisingly good, well at least the statue and in 2d, its like a exaggerated mix of the 1996/2003 design and 2004/2005 design, and it works somehow. the ingame model and animations look wonky though.

2007/2008 designs can go to hell along with everything from titans/mind over mutant aside from the cutscenes and crunch's design in MoM. design-wise he was a lot more interesting than in wrath of cortex/twinsanity/nitro kart. his design in crash of the titans look absolutely horrid though.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.