[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is this game dead already?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
So, is this game dead already?
>>
That which is dead can never die
>>
Knowing the game is an unfinished beta that will take years to build into its proper form kinda saps me of all will to play.
New patch is just around the corner too, maybe I'll start up a new game once it hits or something even though they're mostly just implementing shit people already did with mods.
>>
Define "dead".

Supposedly it's going to get its second patch by the end of the month (including stuff like diplomatic incident events, new border rules, some new wargoals, mapmodes and new ship behaviour for combat such as not to make all battles devolve into bee swarm) so the developers clearly haven't given up yet. And if other Paradox games released in similar-ish state are anything to go by, it'll be supported for several years (with both free patches and DLCs).

Whether or not it's worth playing now that the initial excitement has fallen off? I personally think it has the beginnings of a great game and I'll probably play one game with the second patch but midgame to endgame is still pretty much empty so it gets highly repetitive quickly and is not worth playing again and again like many other strategy games.
>>
>>342240243
> the game is an unfinished beta
Nailed it.

I mean, anyone familiar with Paradox knows how the song goes. Base game is great fun for 3-4 hours, then it's a drag and you barely have any reason to play again.

Every couple of months they drop some more content and you come back to it for it, and then you drop it again.

Give it another year or two, and it might be worthwhile.
Things it's missing:
>Espionage
>fleet formation
>proper diplomacy
>leaders don't do much besides being passive bonus
>no plots
>population happyness barely matters/is barely managable

There's a ton of things you only interact with in a very limited way, and often you feel like you're just farming small +1 or +2 bonuses. Which is fine, if you could automate more things, but nope, nothing.
I'd like to set constructors to auto-build (and pick a preference between science/minerals&energy) and auto-scouting with science ships. There really isn't much reason to keep this shit manual only.
>>
>>342240776
Have they announced anything about performance?
I played it on a i5 and once I explore 60% of the galaxy, every 1st of every month the game halts for a few seconds.

Once the whole galaxy has been explored, it halts for nearly 10 seconds. It's horrendous.
>>
>>342241443
The dev diary mentions bug fixes and such like but not that issue specifically, and looking at the dev diary comments on the forums, the question was asked without answer from the devs. No choice but to wait for patch notes.

I personally haven't had any performance issues, though.
>>
you have to wonder why it's so shallow when they have a bunch of titles under their belt
>>
>>342240776
>Define "dead".

nobody plays it because it has no depth, no features and no replayability whatsoever
>>
IT'S JUST SO BORING

The most boring scifi you can ever encounter in a game. I mean seriously, I just upgraded from a Particle Lance to an Advanced Railgun. Do you know what changed? I lost 2 average dps. That's it. Fucking yawn, how the fuck do you even manage to make advanced technology this unexciting?
>>
File: 2016-02-26_00002-1200x675[1].jpg (104 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-26_00002-1200x675[1].jpg
104 KB, 1200x675
>>342239780
It was one of those flavor of the week games.
>>
Im gonna play a multiplayer game with a friend later tonight. So far spiral galaxies are my favorite layout since you can get sandwhiched between 2 civilizations, make peace with them and proceed to grind the everloving fuck out of research
>>
>>342241040
>I mean, anyone familiar with Paradox knows how the song goes.
Which is why I'm not touching HoI 4 until Black Ice comes out.
>>
>>342244067
Also I cant find a definitive answer on some techs. Crystal forged plates looks to be way better than shielding since it just turns a battle ship from like 2k health to 6k. I know shields regenerste but maybe slap a few regenerating armor slots on there and you are golden.
>>
>dead game

Maybe to you. I am having a lot of fun playing Space Rome. I already crushed the zerg, and the fallen. The Cybrex quest was fuckin sick. I got Psychic Robot Soldiers, giant spiders, and genetically engineered bear people to invade whoever i want. All I need is 30+ more planets and I win.
>>
>>342239780
Worst fucking case of buyer's remorse I ever had. Fucking parajews. That's the last time I pay for thier games.
>>
>>342244504
So overall how is your experience with sectors? I was thinking of disabling the core planet limit since i dont exactly trust the ai to do a good job
>>
File: 1386303604709.jpg (18 KB, 248x262) Image search: [Google]
1386303604709.jpg
18 KB, 248x262
>>342239780
It needs alot of work.
>>
>>342239780
according to steam there are almost 7000 people playing it so i wouldn't call it dead.
>>
>>342244337
The regen, even with the regen aura and regenerating hull modules, isn't that significant. Conversely, if you have some shield capacitors, I think the shield regen can become pretty fast.

However, if you don't have shield capacitors, the hull points is pretty much a direct upgrade, though, since it's not countered by any weapon type, and the ships that actually do the tanking (ie. corvettes) don't have slots for capacitors. So yeah, the hull strength seems like the best deal.
>>
>>342244920
Sectors are good for managing all those small, generic low pop planets. You can have one gov handle many planets, and they are get the govs bonus. If you have any strange worlds, like Robots on a Tomb world, or a moon with Titanic life, you should try to contol those yourself. Our if there are a bunch of high pop worlds, keep those for energy/science production.

Sectors work well, but make sure to cover your own energy needs.
>>
>>342239780
It was made by the bottom-of-the-barrel paradox programmers as a quick cash grab and released in beta. It's dead as dead can be.
>>
>>342245475
Thats why it gets massive patches monthly right?
>>
>>342246458

it has gotten one patch that did nothing but fuck up sector ai to steal all your energy building station mods
>>
>>342246568
Wat
>>
It has been paradox policy for a long time now to release a piece of shit and then polish it with a million patches (that also comes with DLC)
>>
>>342246458
>MASSIVE PATCHES
>modders fix a bunch of problems in a couple of days
>a month later, the devs release a patch that is literally just the things the modders fixed
>now wait for the 6 million dollars of DLC for the game to be good, goyim
>>
I pirated it because I had a feeling it wasn't finished, and I was completely right.

That said, I have a feeling in a year or two it will probably be one of my favorite games once it has a shitload more features. So I'll buy it in next year's summer sale and play it a bunch more then.
>>
>>342240019
With strange aeons even death may die
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.