[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes a good atmosphere in video games? What are you favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: serveimage.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1080
What makes a good atmosphere in video games?
What are you favorite examples of well-made atmosphere in video games?
>>
>>342234797
Last of Us
Red Dead Redemption
Bloodborne
Black Flag
Mafia 2
Dishonored

fav atmosphere games
>>
>>342234876
But what is it about them that make you feel the atmosphere?
>>
>>342235087
Not him, but the biggest thing for me is the idea of unintentionnaly finding beauty.

Scripted games can have very atmospheric and beautiful imagery, but being able to find your own is what makes games "comfy" for me.

>sunsets in Red Dead, cantering under the stone arches.
>snowy streets in Mafia 2, with Christmas music coming from storefronts.

But objectively it's sound design, lighting, and density of small scenery.
>>
Dynamic lighting
Ambient sounds
Music

STALKER
FEAR
Penumbra
Doom 3
>>
STALKER
Bloodborne
Silent Hill 2
REmake
Deus Ex
>>
STALKER
FEAR

Sound design and lighting
>>
Just about every single element in the game from the visuals, sound design and setting to gameplay elements like immersive mechanics, difficulty, AI, level design. STALKER for example isn't just immersive because of the good sound and visual design. It's also immersive because it has a relatively complex life simulation system that makes the world feel alive, it has events that happen whether you want them or not which further reinforces that and the combat is very intuitive which helps to put you into the protagonist's shoes.
>>
>>342234797
Mods and ENB.
>>
>>342234797
Fallout 4 has some good atmosphere, hearing buildings creak while in the city is a nice touch for example
>>
File: betzabor2.jpg (525 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
betzabor2.jpg
525 KB, 1600x1200
>>342234797
Atmosphere and immersion are largely subjective and dependant on personal experience. My favourite example being Stalker. It is hard for me to comprehend that non slav can be immersed in this game and feel it atmosphere as i can. I spend my young days in abandoned facilities, all this mess of dead machinery and concrete were my playground. Stalker is immense nostalgia for me, i remember all this great escapes from stray dogs and drunk janitors from my sweet tattered childhood. I especially like this concrete fences, the sense of wonder behind them. I used to walk on top of them and feel like i am at a margin between worlds: one full of life and bright colours and other rusty and raspy.
In conclusion, game must be deep. Deep not in pseudo intellectual way, but deep to explore and feel imagery on all levels - visual, sound, story and gameplay. It's in the little things, meaningful but rare events, certain conditions, subtle ambient, art design.
For me the most important are: first person, real time combat mechanics, sound design, pressure and fragility. I like games with sense of dread and despair, like Dark Souls, Penumbra 1, Spyro.
>>
>>342238757
Spyro has dread and despair?
>>
>>342239090
Joking, but the hub worlds in Spyro 2 were melancholic. I spent some time wandering in empty halls and towers in that place. These other floating islands melting in the horizon always give me chills. Just listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458wbeCd9Og
>>
>>342239531
Yes, this is nice.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.