[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? What went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Star_Wars_Galaxies_Box_Art.jpg (24 KB, 263x375) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Galaxies_Box_Art.jpg
24 KB, 263x375
What went wrong?
What went right?
>>
>>342216695
Smedley fucked it all.
Thats it in a nutshell. Amazing game that was loved got killed by this cunt.
Viva swgemu
>>
WoW happened and SOE decided to go "hey fuck this unique as fuck system we have in place! let's just emulate what's popular right now because that'll definitely work out for us!"
>>
>>342216907
>>342217054
People seem to love to forget how buggy SWG was, and how there were major bugs unfixed from release up to NGE

Also the grind in SWG was horrible. Combat was weak and wonky. there was a lot wrong in this game even before WoW/NGE/Smedley killed it.
>>
>Overrated nerd trash

If it was good they wouldve continued it. people are blind from nostalgia
>>
>Game was a very unpolished unfinished sandbox with a bunch of new ideas that were cool and interesting
>Instead of building on those and polishing the aspects of the game that needed it and fixing the broken stuff they said fuck it and threw it all out for something completely different

Creature handler/TKM was my favorite combo.
>>
>>342216695
nge
>>
>>342218358

We will never be able to expand on those ideas either since WoW ruined any notice SWG might have had and people are just generally too stupid to appreciate something that could be that good.
>>
>>342218234
How come Anarchy Online and Runescape and Eve are still around?
>>
>>342220960
>Anarchy Online
it went F2P, and its not nearly as good as SWG was.
>EVE
EVE was what Star Wars should have done, kept doing its own thing and filling its niche rather than trying to be something it is not. this coupled with good content updates(rather than forcefully tie in other Star Wars content like Episode 3 shit and Old republic content in Empire era) , graphical upgrades to keep it visually on par.
>>
>>342218234
it lacked content in the beginning

the space expansion was the best thing they ever added

>>342218325
nope, it's one of the best mmo's ever made to this date

there isn't a single game that can compare to the sheer amount of space content that it had
>>
>>342218325
It failed because SOE went full retard. Yeah it problems that SOE never fixed or planned to fix.
>>
>>342221302
>it's one of the best mmo's ever made to this date
you're exaggarating. it had potential to be so perhaps but it had too many problems. take balance for example, TKA was broken-OP as fuck(I understand its hard to balance the 30something profession you could mix between but it was ridiculous).
the game was riddled with bugs which were never fixed.
PvP while fun felt underdeveloped (especially early on during release)
the game was heavy reliant on community. which ended up cutting both ways because while it was superb while it had a community, on small server you ran into issues.
Too many entertainer bots
>>
>>342221824
>TKA was meant to be OP, it was a hellish grind for those that wanted it

the other problems can be attributed to the fact that it was just released and it was a complex game

it ultimately failed because people hate complex games, WOW and LOL are what people crave
>>
>>342223778
>TKA was meant to be OP, it was a hellish grind for those that wanted it
dont sell the grind as some form of challenge. its just time. and its no excuse for TKA being OP.

>the other problems can be attributed to the fact that it was just released
yet some of these bugs persisted up to NGE years post release.

>it ultimately failed because people hate complex games
it failed because of poor management. SWG was doing fine before they tried to compete with WoW.

Dont get me wrong. SWG was a great game, something for the history books and inspiration for next generation sandbox MMOs. but it wasn't as perfect as people make it out to be, it had many issues, serious issues, which held it back.
>>
>>342224379
TKA was always meant to be OP, don't get why people hate that fact. It gave you a reason to go out there and keep grinding since there wasn't a ceiling

what are these issues and bugs?

poor management is def what brought it down, I've never even played the successor TOR since it looks like total shit. Not even when they made it free to play could they convince me to try that pos
>>
>>342225416
Again, Grinding isn't some challenge.

There was one infamous bug regarding armor where if you migrate zones the armor calculations would sometimes go out of whack and behave like you aren't using any armor (despite it being equipped) and the only way to fix it was to remove the armor and put it back on. I personally know this issue was from release up to a little after CU (when I left the game) and I heard this issue was only solved at NGE.
>>
>>342216695
>what went wrong?

The moment they decided everyone should be able to roll a jedi
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.