[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking back on it, how good was the first Kingdom Hearts? How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13
File: 606982image933.jpg (107 KB, 640x415) Image search: [Google]
606982image933.jpg
107 KB, 640x415
Looking back on it, how good was the first Kingdom Hearts? How do you feel it compares to later entries?
>>
I've only really liked the first one. Second just wasn't what I wanted in a sequel. Became too actiony and lost too much of the original's charm.

Haven't been able to get into the handheld ones at all.
>>
>>342204268
It has the best level design and story but the combat is incredibly basic compared to later games.
>>
>>342204268
The combat was a little too slow for me but I still enjoyed it. The level designs were the best in the series and had a simple and clean story. KH1 can't compare to KH2 in combat
>>
>>342205271

I'd say yes and no

The platforming elements allowed the devs to make each of the worlds feel unique, definitely. Compared to future games where every world feels fairly similar, and the theming just acts as a backdrop more than a level gimmick

But I wouldn't say the KH1 worlds were well made, not the platforming mechanics any good
>>
The 1st one was alright. Had a nice charm to it.

Everything since just went up so far its own ass it could see out of its throat in terms of story. The combat also became really flashy with just a single press.
>>
>>342205938
I thought the combat felt more hollow in KH2. It felt very flashy and style over substance. The first game's combat wasn't revolutionary or anything, but I felt it served its purpose nicely and had a simplistic charm to it.

KH2's combat... I dunno. Just felt like it was trying too hard to be an action game. And the "press Triangle to win" gimmick kind of ruined a lot of it for me. There's nothing about KH2 that stood out to me as better than any other action game, but it lost so much of what made KH1 special.

Probably just me on this, though.
>>
>>342204268
I've played all the games in the series and sadly they all lack the first game's charm and poise
>>
File: 1460921390861.webm (3 MB, 1002x720) Image search: [Google]
1460921390861.webm
3 MB, 1002x720
>>342206608
What was hollow about it? If I'm remembering right KH1 was just pressing one button to attack with a lot of dodge rolling and 2 gave you tons of different things to add into your attacks and then gave you the option to do air combos. The "Press Triangle to win" thing was the coolest part about the game to me when I was little, seeing Sora do all of that stuff was pretty neat.
>>
>>342205938
I actually enjoyed KH1's combat a lot more aside from the godawful camera. Sora felt like he had weight to his attacks and movement and you had a lot more weaving around and between enemies with the dodge roll instead of KH2's battle philosophy of "just whack it until it dies"

That said, KH2 still had the better boss battle gimmicks. The OrgXIII fights easily made up for what it was lacking in combat.
>>
Im thinking of buying a 3ds. How tough is it to hack it for free games?
>>
File: 1466412462778.jpg (60 KB, 644x1239) Image search: [Google]
1466412462778.jpg
60 KB, 644x1239
>>342204268
Great game, story is excellent, soundtrack is top-tier, excellent sidequests, tons of incredible boss fights, overall an RPG you can really get lost in for many hours, and you'll feel very satisfied once you reach the complete end of the road

Kingdom Hearts II is also great, some strange pacing and a couple of bland environments aside and one very lame boss fight (Jafar Genie) but overall its a great game with a great story

After that the series became way too obsessed with itself, KH1 was great because the story was connected to the real world via the Disney movies and characters, who have always represented real world things, as well as bringing those conflicts into contact with Sora, who has to deal with his own original conflicts using the wisdom he has gained from the Disney characters

KH2 is still good, and it still does that, it had a few moments where the story relied on its own lore, which is fine...

But the games after that became so fucking obsessed with its own lore, that it's utterly vanished up its own ass at this point, and is completely removed from anything relatable
>>
The dialogue didn't age well but it's still fun play. It's an interesting novelty to see a JRPG using the Disney IP.
>>
I love 1's platforming, sidequests like finding the dalmations and how they slowly fill up that house in Traverse Town and story, but the camera is pretty ass, and 2 is undoubtedly better combat wise
>>
>>342204268
KH1 worlds were too long and obtuse and the battle system is just not nearly as good as 2.
>>
>>342206608
KH2 is definitely superior to KH1 when it comes to the amount of depth and responsiveness there is to the combat, it's just not something people notice because they made the game too easy. I'm not really an authority on action games, but I do enjoy a lot of combat focused games(Bloodborne, Bayonetta, God Hand) and I would say that KH2 Final Mix probably has one of the most well thought out battle systems I've ever seen in an ARPG. Critical mode is a wonderful experience.
>>342204268
KH1 is a very charming game, but it's the most dated one. Nomura said that it was essentially inspired by Super Mario 64 with RPG elements, but I feel like it was to the series' benefit that they decided to focus more on making a series of action games. The only thing I hope for now is that they improve the level design and platforming/traversal, but luckily they seem to be doing just that from what I've seen in interviews and impressions of 0.2 from E3.
>>
>>342207868
It would be kind of neat if they remade Kingdom Hearts 1 after they finish 3 but it'll probably never happen
>>
>>342206608
>I thought the combat felt more hollow in KH2. It felt very flashy and style over substance.

Play it on Critical and be glad you have all those new flashy attacks.
>>
>>342207191
And the good thing about TRIANGLE is that it was completely optional in almost every scenario when it came up, and there were a number of times where it was used pretty creatively(Learn/Jump, Start game, Warp Snipe, Duel)

People rail on reaction commands for being too numerous but they were easily better than the way the vast majority of other games implement QTEs.
>>
File: 1466398155656.jpg (32 KB, 456x384) Image search: [Google]
1466398155656.jpg
32 KB, 456x384
>>342208149
>needing a "crazy" mode to justify the combat
>>
>>342208281
>i play on easy mode therefore the combat is braindead and simple
>>
>>342208169
People bitched so much about reaction commands they won't even be in 3 now.
RIP cool battle cutscenes
>>
>>342208281
that says something about the difficulty, but if you're arguing about the mechanics/depth of the battle system, that's something that exists independently of the difficulty level or game balance. The purpose of the latter is to encourage proper use and understanding of the former.
>>
>>342208620
it seems like something similar will still be there in the sense of flashy sequences, but they'll result directly from timing attacks or using certain tactics rather than a UI prompt.
>>
The first game is the best entry. The subsequent titles don't degrade what's there, but the interpretive spins oin the content just make the first one stand out a lot more.
>>
I bought the HD remaster or whatever. Haven't played KH1 since it came out and the amount of filler and all-around boring shit you have to endure in that game surprised me. I just don't have the time and patience to finish it anymore.
>>
Technically inferior to most of the games that came after it in many ways, combat especially. However, it's got this charm that I just can't identify that makes it far greater than the rest of the series to me. It's by far my favorite and, as the years go by and I like the others less and less, the first Kingdom Hearts is becoming the only one that I really like. Well, it's basically already reached that point.
>>
File: Namine finds the KH yaoi.jpg (274 KB, 799x533) Image search: [Google]
Namine finds the KH yaoi.jpg
274 KB, 799x533
>>342207557
>>
The story after 1 and especially after 2 went full retard.
The gameplay in 1 is beautifully simple and the platforming and unique levels are still nice. Hardly any pointless arenas unlike every single zone in KH2.

Its artistry and story are also much better than what the later games did. The mysterious fever dreamish tutorial in KH1 is still the best part of the series and the way it comes full circle at the end is still some of the coolest shit ever. KH after 1 is just a Naruto rip-off or something honestly. The first game was interesting though.
>>
>>342204268

Just finished playing the Final Mix version on 1.5 like half an hour ago. Still the best Kingdom Hearts game. You can really tell that they wrote these stories as they were going considering how much they retconned out of it. I feel like the story from 1 was still the best. The combat definitely hasn't aged well, especially compared to 2. The world design is also miles above the other games. I loved the little details in each one like coming back to Wonderland and finding those new paths in the Bizarre room, or the little "experiments" in Deep Jungle. Every game after was basically "Go through world, come back for chests, maybe another boss later, DONE." I mean, 1 was essentially the same when you look at it in a basic way, but it managed to hide it a hell of a lot better.
>>
>>342209749
It's like they forgot they had Disney characters in there and the story just became incomprehensible anime bullshit.
>>
File: 1466409114480.png (142 KB, 390x406) Image search: [Google]
1466409114480.png
142 KB, 390x406
>>342209605
hah love it, thanks anon
>>
The areas have more platforming and are more vertical open and sometimes puzzle like to a degree, but that's not always a good thing. The combat is a lot more basic, enemies fly all over the fucking place away from you with no good way to deal with them other than chase them around, until you get Gravira or Sonic Blade. The story is less retarded than it started getting in the later games and is a more simple friendship story. There's no real way to tell a world's completion % except for going back to look for the trinity mark and chests you missed and hope you got them all.

Depends if you see those points as good or bad, later games are far more linear and the areas are sometimes just completely flat, but definitely have better combat.
>>
File: Larxene smile.png (131 KB, 457x329) Image search: [Google]
Larxene smile.png
131 KB, 457x329
>>342209958

No problem.
>>
File: 1462176412352.gif (2 MB, 300x262) Image search: [Google]
1462176412352.gif
2 MB, 300x262
>all this patrician taste

Am I really still in /v/?
>>
>>342209832

>I feel like the story from 1 was still the best.

Well, it was simple, but not embarrassingly bad like the others. It didn't break the mold, but it was good for what it was. Nomura tried way too hard to make it deep later.
>>
Playing it after 2 feels really weird. The camera is way too close to Sora
>>
>>342209749
>KH after 1 is just a Naruto rip-off or something honestly.
Ventus, Terra, and Aqua are literally Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.
>>
File: 1464553771523.jpg (16 KB, 208x236) Image search: [Google]
1464553771523.jpg
16 KB, 208x236
>>342210759
>Ventus, Terra, and Aqua are literally Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.
You're only saying this because of DARKNESS aren't you
>>
>>342204268
It's still one of my favorites, even the my single most favorite depending on the mood I'm in. I like how all the worlds had little details that give you small rewards for exploring and trying out different things like the clams in Atlantica, consumable recipes in Deep Jungle, getting to some chests early by stacking barrels and so on. Yeah, the platforming was clunky but they should have expanded and improved on it instead of basically gutting it entirely save for Re: Coded (which did platforming really well and had arguably the best designed worlds in the series).

Combat was barebones, but functional and honestly still among the best in the series. It's a lot more cohesive in terms of design than something like BBS or 3D and having AI allies actually be useful was great.

KH2 is really fun on level 1 Critical Mode for the combat alone and I love both KH2 and KH1 equally for completely different reasons.
>>
second best combat in the series (fuck you BBS fags, you lied to me). the only KH game where the story is actually enjoyable

had the most exploration/world interaction in the series, so I always end up replaying it for that
>>
File: chrysippus.png (117 KB, 238x351) Image search: [Google]
chrysippus.png
117 KB, 238x351
>>342208281
>doesn't play on hardest modes
>thinks his opinion matters
>>
File: Olette sad.gif (491 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
Olette sad.gif
491 KB, 500x255
>>
>>342208281
>game has good mechanics
>difficulty is undertuned
>you can choose to either play the game on baby mode and mash buttons like a retard or choose a difficulty that actually lets you have fun and requires you to learn how the game works
Fuck off retard. The mechanics and many of the boss designs in KH2 are really solid: the only problem is that anything below Critical is a fucking joke.
>>
>>342205271
Pretty much this, but I'd also like to voice a likely-unpopular opinion. On the camera, in particular.

I kind of hate how KHII and pretty much all action-type games started switching over to that really zoomed-out camera midway through the PS2 lifecycle. I mean, I get that it helps with situational awareness and makes up for stuff that you'd be able to sense via peripheral vision/sound in real life, but it just kills any sense of action/immersion for me. I wish more devs had tried balancing for the close-up camera rather than essentially copping out.

Are there even any modern games with a close third person camera besides TPS?
>>
Anyone else wishing a KH 2.9 would drop before or with 3?

Bundle the Final Mixes and sidegames in one fuckhuge PS4 format. Hope to hell it happens, I no longer have a ps3 and really don't want to emulate worst version handheld games.
>>
>>342211001
>Ventus later became part of Sora who is Jesus
>Terra's Body was used as a Vessel for DARKNESS
>Aqua is the only one who became a Keyblade Master
>>
>>342212786
>Ventus later became part of Sora who is Jesus
>Aqua is the only one who became a Keyblade Master
How the fuck do these even translate to Naruto and Sakura?
>>
File: VIPER.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
VIPER.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>342210759
Literally the dumbest thing I've read all day.
>>
>>342205271
The levels were kind of annoying to navigate though. It really would have benefited from more movement options. Remember Deep Jungle and Wonderland? Those were the worst levels in the whole series
>>
>>342206212
I would implore everyone to try KH2 on critical, it improves the combat 110% by making it absolutely necessary to pull off flashy moves and counters and blocks and so on pretty flawlessly and makes the combat feel significantly more involved than "mash attack".
>>
>>342212960
Naruto is Ninja Jesus, Sakura trained under Tsunade to become still pretty useless.
>>
The only problem with KH2 crit is the early stuff with Roxas becomes absolutely infuriatingly hard when you don't have simple shit like a dodge roll or block.
>>
>>342212710

I'd buy it. My Ps3 broke a few months ago and I'd love to be able to play the old KH games before 3 is released.
>>
>2016
>still playing kingpoop farts
>>
>>342214058
>2016
>still NOT playing kingpoop farts
>>
The first one is the best... The world design was much more dynamic.

After the first KH game all of the worlds were just hallways and rooms painted like Disney worlds. I hated KH2, but I beat it. All the the handheld ones are complete dog shit.
>>
File: all might calamity jutsu.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
all might calamity jutsu.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>342213468
Reminder Kishi wanted to ,ake a manga about demons and magic
>>
>>342204268
>how good was the first Kingdom Hearts?
It's good but it has obvious flaws, some of which were fixed with FM and 1.5
>How do you feel it compares to later entries?
It's not the worst, but I can't say it's my top 3
>>
>>342214104
like clockwork
>>
>>342208281
>game comes out and it's 2ez
>Final Mix adds a new mode and rebalances the game to give a more proper challenge
>he's mad that they fixed the game's main problem
>>
I wanted to fuck Olette. Still do.
>>
>>342215689
olette is for fags who only want to be 'different'
she's the saab of kh waifus
>>
Shit controls, best story.
KH2 and BBS had more characters though which I enjoyed
>>
>>342215907
>not like the brunette/green eyes combo
And YOU'RE calling ME a fag?
>>
Something that really pissed me off about this game is how stupid the AI is. Are Donald and Goofy smarter/more useful in the other games? I never played them.
>>
It was the last great game by Square. It succeeded at putting pure Disney style in videogame form with some bits of what we could call Final Fantasy narratives.

The rest of the games, discounting its direct sequel, Chain of Memories, completely fucked up this balance of storytelling.
>>
>>342215907

She's not a Swedish car you retarded nigger.
>>
>>342216471
are you sure
>>
>>342216501

She doesn't have headlights, for one.
>>
>>342216576
should have said airbags
>>
>>342216813

Nothing like that, either.
>>
>>342208723
That's pretty much how Nomura said they will work.
>>342204268
I liked it a lot especially how the Disney elements tied in, but the combat hasn't aged that well. I generally like most of the other entries in the series but how I rank them in regards to KH1 is dependent on what I'm looking for.
>>
>>342204268
I replayed it recently (completely, beat Sephiroth and everything) and the combat is really crumby in comparison to 2. 2 in general adds a lot of little things that make it all enjoyable to play.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.