[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The upgrade system really sucks the life out of Souls games.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: darksword-onhand-large[1].jpg (65 KB, 600x660) Image search: [Google]
darksword-onhand-large[1].jpg
65 KB, 600x660
The upgrade system really sucks the life out of Souls games. It biases the player to pick one weapon and then stick with it for the whole game. It hurts experimentation.

>oh boy a new sword! can't wait to try it out
>Oh never mind, I need to run off to a blacksmith and spend 50,000 souls to make it as good as the one I currently have
>I'll probably just stick with the one I currently have
>>
They've made the upgrades much easier to do in DS3 at least. They were a real pain in Demon's Souls. There were like a million different upgrade stones.
>>
It's not so bad. You generally want to have something for each situation though so you're never really stuck with ONE weapon.

Piercing for armor, slashing for unarmored, elemental to weaknesses and blunt for skeletons.
>>
>>342179590
Why does every player in DaS3 use that sword?
>>
I agree, and while I don't disagree with the principals behind it, it just feels wrong. The idea is supposed to be that you can pick a weapon near the start of the game and keep using it til the end. The problem is that whatever weapon you decide to be your main ends up being the one you spend all your shit on, with special weapons generally being things that don't scale as well. The result is that getting special weapons doesn't feel as rewarding.
>>
>>342179590
You're too stupid to be the target demographic of the game m8. The system they have implemented is done so to encourage multiple play throughs with new characters being built around the play style of your weapon set.
>>
>>342179928
That's DS1, buddy.
>>
>>342179590
Not really. You can always experiment with weapons, especially when your current one starts making poor damage to the enemies you're currently facing.
>>
>>342179882
>They've made the upgrades much easier to do in DS3 at least. They were a real pain in Demon's Souls.

Never played 3. What'd they change?

I know they made it much easier in Dark Souls over Demon's. My god, pick the wrong upgrade path and you need to farm some obscure fucking stone of whatever that has a 1/1000 chance of dropping.

>>342180303

But it hurts the pace of the game immensely. You get a weapon, you can't really use it. You need to run off to a blacksmith on the other side of the map to upgrade it before you can use it.
>>
>>342179928
Straightswords are the new meta for ds3 pvp, you're just gimping yourself using a spear or greatsword against someone of equal skill.
As for pve it's basically the same thing, monsters can get stunlocked in das with a greatsword and straight swords generally only make them flinch with the first hit. In 3 though you literally stunlock everything with even a dagger so fuck using slow heavy weapons
>>
You can see where the need for the mechanic arises in most games. It helps smooth out your power relative to your level before getting the next big upgrade. But it's really just not a fun mechanic and just seems like a lazy design choice. It's like compulsory levelling up that you have to go out of your way to do. I'd prefer a simpler tiered system myself.

It's similar but much better in Monster Hunter where gearing up is the ONLY way of powering up (outside of gitting gud). And even there you can switch pretty easily since many weapons can be built outright rather than as upgrades.
>>
>>342179590
I have always had enough souls and materials to have a dozen weapons that are useful.

>>342179928
Stupid question.
>>342180236
Stupid answer.
>>
>>342180636
Stupid post.
>>
>>342179590

I disagree, I end up using several weapons by the end of the game, after Anor Londo its a very quick grind to upgrade a weapon up to at least +10. You might get hooked into that but I don't think what you're experiencing is endemic the game.
>>
>>342180464
They drastically decreased the work you need to do to upgrade a weapon. All upgrades are done at one person, and you obtain coals to improve his upgrade paths. Also there are very few upgrade stones so farming isn't really necessary. There's even a ton of opportunities to get slabs at the end, too.

Demon's Souls was just a confusing mess when it came to upgrading.
>>
>>342180759
epic win friend
>>
>>342180464
1. With the weapon smithbox you can upgrade your weapons on a bonfire. If you have titanites you don't need to walk all the way to Andre or any of the blacksmiths. Even if you can't do the +6 or +10 upgrade at a bonfire, still is enough to get used to a new weapon.
2. DaS2 and onwards you have teleporting between bonfires from the very start so you don't need to walk entire maps (a very welcome change)

Dark Souls' weapon system is fine.
>>
I agree.

There should be infusions and that's it.
>>
>>342180636
Stupid anon.
>>
>>342180832
thanks
>>
>>342180872
yw
>>
>>342180636
>I have always had enough souls and materials to have a dozen weapons that are useful.
Good job grinding for literally 100 hours you fucking dork.
>>
>>342179928
It gets unusually high scaling for a sword of its class with multiple infusions, it can be buffed, and it's quite fast by comparison to the damage it deals. It's the new Zweihander.
>>
>>342180489
>straight swords are DS3 pvp meta
That would be great swords and caestus parrying with the hornets ring on actually
>>
>>342180848
>Dark Souls' weapon system is fine.

Pointless busiwork more or less.
>>
>>342181117
They nerfed the caestus in a recent patch.
>>
>>342181089
Zwei was literally never fast.
>>
>>342179882

Just barely. Refined stones are still hard as fuck to get and you have a limited amount of slabs per play through.
>>
>>342181195
I didn't know that, how long ago was it? I might get back into the game now if things have changed up
>>
>>342181030
>grinding
Never had to do that. I have farmed a few times, and it was fun.
And I assure you it didn't take 100 hours.
Why did you call me a dork, are you angry?
>>
>No point infusing anything with anything other than refined gems and at a push, sharp or heavy gems

>Everything else is fucking useless in PVE and PVP

Why the fuck.
>>
>>342179590
It's pretty easy to get the souls for that, and you can also buy materials pretty easily.

The only thing that's rare in DaS1 is the slabs, which I always found to be a good thing, it makes you really think about what weapon you really want to upgrade.
>>
>>342181117
You just use a straight sword and second slot the big weapon.

If you get the parry you switch weapons and one shot, but straight swords are infinitely better at actual combat.
>>
File: 20160520003134_1.jpg (541 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160520003134_1.jpg
541 KB, 2560x1440
>RP builds will never be strong enough to compete with meta faggots

I just have to git gud.
>>
>>342180848
I find that most of the Dark Souls games had a bit of trouble with distributing titanite in the best manner throughout the series: it can be tough for a developer to make sure its fun instead of boring to remember where everything is.
>>
>>342181286
It was a few weeks ago.
>>
>>342181460
I gat gud a while ago and it feels so good roflstomping noobies in my rp sets. Nothing like it man.
Gotta look good or no point doing it.
>>
I think the AI being retarded and animations looking stupid sucks the life out of these games more than the upgrade system.
>>
>>342181273
Why would you need more than five max level weapons?
>>
>>342179590
As oppose the the linear system that other rpgs have where there is ONE weapon and ONE set of armor that is better than everything else? your fucking retarded. I rather have a system like DS where every weapon/armor is viable endgame.
>>
>>342181342
>Can buy every upgrade infinitely barring slabs
>Except infusion gems
>You have to farm a mob for a .01 chance for it to drop for every single weapon you wish to infuse

I'm almost glad there is only one worthwhile infusion
>>
DaS 3 showers you in titanite.
>>
>>342181089
but zweihander is shit
>>
>>342181935
>Why would you expect everyone to be a guide-fag who gets every single slab?
>>
>>342181460
What's his name?
>>
>>342182471
You get around 3 just for playing through the game and that is plenty.
>>
>>342179889
>You generally want to have something for each situation though

No, this hasn't been true since Demon Souls. If enemies actually have resistances, it's to an almost unnoticeable degree and means smacking them maybe once more to kill them. The only time in DS3 I've ever cared about resistances is Aldrich with a Moonlight Greatsword because it has no physical component.
>>
>>342182471
I found all of them except the one for trading away your coiled sword fragment without a guide. You just have to explore.
>>
In Bloodborne there aren't any upgrade trees, everything is a linear path that goes up to 10. But there are three types of each weapon with different slot shapes. You might prefer that game more.
>>
> relying on stats and gear

You dont even need to fucking level up past 1 to beat the game, you shitter.

Yes I'm exaggerating but seriously it doesnt fucking matter if one wep has a couple hundred more damage points on it, just get a few extra hits in ffs. Nigger.
>>
>>342181460
Really the divide between meta shit builds and gimmicky fun builds isn't that big if you're good.
>>
>>342182103
I'd rather be able to farm slabs again
>>
>>342182567
Josef Stalin
>>
File: josefstylin.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
josefstylin.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>342182567
Heres my DS 2 build. It was taken earlier on, by now I have evened out his skills to all equal number.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.