[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went right with Ragnarok Online?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: lewd mages.jpg (12 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
lewd mages.jpg
12 KB, 280x180
What went right with Ragnarok Online?
>>
hot sprites
good music
card system
plenty of classes/builds
stats and skill were permanent
it had no competition at the time, and there Hasn't been any decent clone that survived long enough besides maybe Trickster.
>>
>>342172286

>hot sprites
>>
aesthetic
music
class diversity
stat system
card/equipment system
gvg
free pve (no level difference penalty shit)
non-linear
>>
>>342172286
>Promoted socialization. Pretty huge in MMOs. They all forget the second M.
>Sandbox design is inherently superior to themepark design in the absence of gigantic amounts of money. Themepark requires constant upkeep, constant content updates. Ragnarok took many more cues from Sandbox design than most games do.

Those are pretty much the big ones. It was fun and people liked it, plus it was relatively unique and looked nice, that helped, but the big things are the sandbox elements and the way the game's design incentivized socialization.
>>
Good music
Was part of a time where instanced shit wasn't a thing and required socialization for MVPs
WoE was actually incredibly fun
Card system was decent even if the grind was fucking horrendous, it was worth it
>>
MMOs were only really just taking off and didn't have pay2win yet. RO got a lot of things right even down to the aesthetics. I think its more of combination of luck and good timing that the market wasn't saturated as fuck with clones yet that made it the most successful.
>>
Free roaming sandbox world. That's about it. Combat, classes, chat, multiplayer and everything else was bad even for the time it was out.
>>
It was a glorified chatroom
>>
>>342175315

>pots
>pots
>pots
>u me Zeny 5555 lolz!

No, the chat options were also shit.
>>
>>342172286
rip RO

Why did ToS have to be so shitty?
>>
>>342172286
simple graphics

amazing world design

people who understood what was fun and wasn't fun

and finally, an ideal climate for community development.

I am still of the opinion that quests are the cancer of community development. Quests force people to all be grinding text boxes in different parts of the world at the same time. Which means it's less efficient to group up as it is just to do the damn quest by yourself. Goes faster, too.

Meanwhile, the only way to really progress in RO is to grind. Grinding is good. Grinding is not a bad thing, and results in people having to come together to talking the harder challenges of the game instead of popping into a dungeon queue which automatically fetches people.

MMOs back then were made for people who wanted a co-op experience. MMOs now are for people who want single-player campaigns with other people in it.
>>
>>342175897
They thought people would pay full price for a game which is half-done.
>>
File: RuneKnight2Female.jpg (106 KB, 400x538) Image search: [Google]
RuneKnight2Female.jpg
106 KB, 400x538
RO is the last game where people weren't scared of drawing female characters with some skin.

It also knew that the idea of characters losing clothes as they get stronger is an incentive.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.