[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So with everything that has happened with the series...how do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg (128 KB, 256x359) Image search: [Google]
Super_Paper_Mario_cover.jpg
128 KB, 256x359
So with everything that has happened with the series...how do you feel about this game? I'm honestly thinking about going back and giving it another shot.
>>
is good
>>
>>342149468
It doesn't FEEL like a Mario game.
>>
It's better then the latest trash that came out, it's not very good tho.
>>
It was actually my favorite

The rpg style for the first two games was a bore for me
>>
File: 1464930877441.jpg (37 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1464930877441.jpg
37 KB, 500x281
>>342149468
I love Paper Mario and hate this game
>Friend offers me a Wii almost for free
>whynot.jpg
>see this game
>I don't believe how bad it is

I don't understand why, the machanincs are interesting, but the characters and situations are boring as fuck.
>>
It's kind of weird honestly, doesn't fit in with the rest of the series at all, even Shitter Star felt more like a Paper Mario game. It's okay though, still one of the Wii's best games.
>>
It started the whole "NSMB but with an artsyle" trend. Definitely not a bad game, just not Paper Mario.
>>
It's a very bad platformer and has the look and feel of a fangame. Some of the scenarios are funny but the main plot feels like some out of place Z-grade anime shit.
You could argue that was the case for PM2 as well, but SPM puts a lot more weight on the main story.
At least I could beat it though, I've tried getting through sticker star three times and I always get bored halfway through.
>>
I really like it, but not as a paper mario game. All things considered it's probably one of my favorite mario games period.
>>
>>342149468
best story in a Mario game, worst controlling though
>>
It's really good. I liked the story and the feel to it.
I liked it as much as TTYD, but is a very different game.
>>
>>342149468
It's a great game. I didn't like it as much as TTYD but I still loved it.
>>
It was okay I guess. The combination of platforming and RPG elements felt really weird and unnatural. And I didn't like that a lot of the bosses were piss-easy. Overall the game kinda underwhelmed me.
>>
The music made me feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QOX81IXCI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1rLqhR8tmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltMZae-N1Nc

Wasn't expecting something like it the first time through and it hit me hard
>>
This is when paper Mario died.
>>
It wasn't what I was hoping for, but I still enjoyed it. The humor and characters were still there, they just moved the personalities from partners to the recurring villains, all of whom I liked as villains. Plus we had dialogue from Peach and Bowser that was great and up to Paper Mario standards. I liked the story.

The problem was that it wasn't an RPG, and Bowser was stupidly overpowered in any kind of combat situation, which made the game too easy. Not that the other game weren't easy, but SPM went pretty far with it. Gameplay was different, but I never hated it.
>>
>>342149468

I disliked it when it came out and I still dislike it now

Sticker star and color splash being total shit doesn't suddenly make this game good
>>
its enjoyable
>>
>>342149468
It has the worst character designs I've ever seen in a video game
>>
>>342149468
Emulate it with the HD texture pack.

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-super-paper-mario-hires-texture-pack

Gameplay is shit, but the story, writing, setting etc. all makes it worth playing. Thankfully it appears that SPM has been somewhat rehabilitated in the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofr1tYHdORo
>>
File: Flint.jpg (23 KB, 400x236) Image search: [Google]
Flint.jpg
23 KB, 400x236
>>342152081
apologize
>>
>shitty platforming
>dull combat
>awful new character designs
>they squashed Mario's head for some reason
>the new animations they gave Peach and Bowser look terrible
>doesn't even try to hide the blatant padding, tries to play it off as jokes
>neat ideas ruined by boring environments made even more boring when you flip to 3D
>bawww the villain is misunderstood and it was the clown the whole time
>whole thing honestly feels like a fangame
Music was decent.
>>
Would you play SPM with 64/TTYD gameplay /v/?
>>
>>342152631
Absolutely. Make the worlds a bit less empty and the design more fitting to the Paper Mario style and you've got a winner. You'd need old fashioned partners though, instead of those shitty pixls.
>>
It was my first PM game, and the only game I had for my Wii at the time, so I'll always have a soft spot for it.
>>
>>342152631
No because you'd still have a shitty supporting cast and world.
>>
File: tfwnogf.png (1017 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
tfwnogf.png
1017 KB, 1920x1080
>>342152881
You're just sore Anon.
>>
File: yHj8yq5.png (127 KB, 286x268) Image search: [Google]
yHj8yq5.png
127 KB, 286x268
>>342152502
>bawww the villain is misunderstood and it was the clown the whole time

Fuck you for having such shit opinions.

And he's not a clown you idiot, he's a jester. There's a difference.
>>
>>342152631
The boss fights could be really interesting except the four against O'Chunks but I'm going to have to agree with
>>342152780
didn't care for the Pixls
>>
>>342153308
The only good thing about Bleck was his design.
I also like how you didn't greentext anything else because you know it's true.
>>
>>342152502
>awful new character designs
Eh, I was okay with them. They weren't very detailed but it's way better than the shit Sticker Star throws at you.
>They squashed Mario's head for some reason
what
>blatant padding
Same thing they had in the other 2 games, and I enjoyed it in every case.
>bawww the villain is misunderstood
God forbid the villain gets an interesting backstory for once. Characters like Bleck are things the Mario series needs desperately.
>it was the clown the whole time
So what? Dimentio was interesting too.
>feels like a fangame
Just because it didn't play exactly like TTYD?

All the other shit you're right about, but I loved the game, even if it isn't the best.
>>
>>342149468
I liked it more than the original and TTYD desu. They're great due to the atmosphere and such, but I don't think they're very strong as JRPGs, so I prefered the platforming gameplay and 3D switching mechanics of Super. I can definitely see why people who liked the gameplay in the previous ones would hate it though.
>>
I found the game very tedious and hard to continue playing.
>>
File: jEmFUEA.png (55 KB, 392x291) Image search: [Google]
jEmFUEA.png
55 KB, 392x291
>>342153984
>interesting backstory
>ball of cliches rivaling TTYD's AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS
>>
>>342154310
>ball of cliches
So what? It's a Mario game. It's certainly better than Bowser kidnapping the princess again.
>>
>>342154814
Yes, but it's not as great as fans make it out to be.
Like O'Chunks.
>>
File: 325352346.png (1 KB, 320x288) Image search: [Google]
325352346.png
1 KB, 320x288
>>342154179
Fucking this, felt like I was playing a slow version of the first Super Mario.
>>
Excellent. The 3D gimmick was used pretty well and the story was fucking phenomenal. One of the few games to get tears out of me and it was a goddamn Mario game.

My only complaints are that it's too easy to cheese the bosses and the other characters aren't nearly as useful as Mario is
>>
This games story is super underrated and really in depth for a fucking Paper Mario game.
>>
>>342149468
I liked it. Partners could've been better but they made up for it with lots of banter between the main cast.
>>
>>342149468
It's a good game but it's not a paper mario game
>>
>>342149468
>felt obviously unfinished and rushed
>had a forced grinding section, which is what made me quit
besides that its seemed ok up til that point. Probably would have stuck with it if the art style wasn't so bad. It's just really sad that everything has just gotten worse since then though. I might give it another try and just use a rubberband for the grind part next time.
>>
>>342149468
The worst sound design I've ever heard in a game.

Enjoyed the gameplay, but it was unbearable.
>>
>>342149468

Great game

Shame it's tied to the Wii remote
>>
as a fag who never played any paper mario games but was really into platformers, i picked it up a year after release because the 2d/3d gimmick looked cool
i got hooked
played start to finish, loved nearly every minute of it
>>
>>342149468
Its WORDS WORDS WORDS the game

so many of the scenes just drag on so goddamn long and they arent even funny or emotional. Youll find yourself mashing A just to get through many pages of dialogue because you just dont care after a while
>>
>>342149468
I played it when it first came out but don't remember much about it. I am looking forward to Color Splash though, I didn't like it at first but seeing the E3 footage has changed my mind. It's not going to be another TYOD but I'm sure it will be fine.
>>
On par if not better than the first one. I know it's not a "real RPG" but I like the mix of traditional Mario platforming and charming RPG story/characters/progression.
>>
File: mike flask.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
mike flask.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>there will never be another paper mario game with a funny, well written, dialogue heavy story ever again
>there will never be another paper mario game with partners all with different personalities ever again
>there will never be another paper mario game with partners all with different skills/abilities ever again

Don't say a word. Just post your face when.
>>
>>342160083
>I might give it another try and just use a rubberband for the grind part next time.

Are you talking about the hamster wheel? You can find out a password in that chapter to rob the vault.
>>
>>342149468
>not only get rid of the fun action turned based combat
>just get rid of combat entirely
It's Nintendo's gone home
>>
>>342149468
It's good and probably the reason why they started experimenting more with paper mario series. I think it was well received and sold well at the time so I guess they decided change was the way forward with the series.

Good game but came at a great price
>>
>>342160616
can you just do it right away or is it doopliss shit?
>>
>>342160485
>having ADD
>>
It's a really good game
People just don't like it because it's not a turn-based RPG like the first two ones
And nostalgia
>>
>>342161089
You can enter the code right away if you know it. All you need is Slim the Pixl and that's it.
>>
>>342149468
The story was great and I didn't find a problem with the character designs/gameplay. Then again, SPM was my first Paper Mario so I'm not one to judge.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.