[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really tried to like it but I can't. It's way too
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: Sysshock.jpg (42 KB, 361x500) Image search: [Google]
Sysshock.jpg
42 KB, 361x500
I really tried to like it but I can't. It's way too dated, even with the mouse look. I don't care about graphics if the game's good, but this has so many other problems:

-The inventory is a hassle to use, there's barely any hotkeys
-the maps are clusterfucks of mazes
-the musics aren't atmospheric or spooky, just groovy midi tunes
-audio log texts are different than the audio itself
-billboard sprites look terrible
-movement behaves shittly, weird controls
-fov can't be changed
and so on

I looked that in some missions you have to travel around several levels to do stuff. I thought the one image with Shock-games' maps was just memeing but literally every level is fucking square maze. And the fact that almost every place looks similar with a different logo here and there isn't helping.

Is it really worth it to force yourself to finish this game? I can't understand how some people find this better than SS2.
>>
Honestly having played and beaten System Shock 2 (only had to change a few of the keys and it was perfect)

Don't bother my senpai. Enhanced Edition isn't ENHANCED enough. Its interface is fucking shit

There is some great stuff in SS1 from what I saw, but it's not worth it with how fucking messy and ugly that setup is.
>>
File: 1375124175532.jpg (636 KB, 2768x1022) Image search: [Google]
1375124175532.jpg
636 KB, 2768x1022
>>
Wait for the remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns
>>
>>342141160
Looks cool, hopefully they tackle the other problems too and not just update the graphics
>>
File: 56764468.jpg (43 KB, 650x519) Image search: [Google]
56764468.jpg
43 KB, 650x519
>>342140874
this is sad
>>
>>342141918
It seems like it's going to be more like System Shock 2
>>
File: FPS map design_.jpg (78 KB, 1238x584) Image search: [Google]
FPS map design_.jpg
78 KB, 1238x584
>>342143136
System Shock 3 will be open world :)
>>
p hype for the remaster.

Even on release SS1 was criticized for its clunkiness. SS2 plays like a fucking dream, though.
>>
File: 1393063560103.jpg (473 KB, 2500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1393063560103.jpg
473 KB, 2500x1200
>>342143136
>>
>>342140282
ss2 is terrible as well. just play bioshock if you want atmosphere. there's much better games for depth/strategy. don't play a fucking fps if you want that.
>>
>>342140282
Hint: Its a dungeon crawler not an fps.
>>
>>342143392
System Shock 3 will be in VR so it's going to be interesting
>>
File: 1450813823436.png (12 KB, 500x294) Image search: [Google]
1450813823436.png
12 KB, 500x294
>>342143669
>>
>>342143792
>/v/ hates bioshock 1/2 now

what?
>>
>>342143919
I don't hate BioShock 1 & 2 (2 > 1), but SS2 is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>342140282

I know how you feel. I tried it before the mouselook mod came out, but I couldn't get used to the controls, so I just played SS2. I tried again once the mouselook mod came out and finished it. I thought it was fun with the mouselook mod. It was annoying at times, but overall I liked it. You're right that the music, while cool as fuck, isn't atmospheric. I'm okay with that though.

How long have you played it? I'd recommend getting through at least a couple of areas, give it several hours. If you can't get into it though, that's fine, no shame in that. Just read a quick plot summary and jump into SS2.
>>
>>342143919
The point was that SS2 is great and better than Bioshocks. Also /v/ has always kinda hated Bioshock 1 and 2 because of its dumbing down from SS2, console port, linearity and so on. Now that Infinite is out people have gotten easier on them. We probably like Infinite in 10 years when there's some Bioshock Unlimited 3: A cinematic experience
>>
>>342144323
I've almost finished the first level. I'll try to play more and see if I get used to it.
>>
File: diego fight.gif (65 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
diego fight.gif
65 KB, 640x400
Executive Level best level
>exploring offices and shit
>Breaking down droids left and right
>pushing mutant shit in with the laser rapier
>fighting through and ejecting beta grove to piss off shodan
>finally getting more magpulse ammo
>blowing up Diego with a fuck ton of mines
>that bitchin music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkOCAm-v0U
>>
>>342144653
SHODAN will always be my favourite villain to piss off.

It's just so satisfying to hear the annoyance in her voice.
>>
>>342144653

Best music, coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qBe3qo2uuA

Too bad there's no way to import the Mac music into SSP.
>>
>>342145297
>mac
How does it differ from PC?
>>
>>342145451

As far as I know it's only the music that's different. It's the same tunes, but they sound significantly better.
>>
>>342145692
No, the mac has better graphics/increased texture resolution than the DOS version, as well.
>>
>>342145451
Different sound cards. Interesting video of PC sound cards if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a324ykKV-7Y
>>
>>342140282
I bought it a few months ago on Steam. I still haven't beaten it yet and likely won't for awhile, but I can address some of your points.

>the inventory is a hassle

How? It's literally click and drag or double click if you're too lazy.

>the maps are clusterfucks of mazes

But that's what a huge conical station like that would be like. It wouldn't just be a straight line.

>the musics aren't atmospheric or spooky, just groovy midi tunes

The music is very fitting. It's a technological futuristic world, and the music matches that.

>audio log texts are different than the audio itself

Why is this an issue? You get both options of reading or listening. The same information gets conveyed, just in a different way.

>billboard sprites look terrible

Game looked great for the time. That's not the fault of the game. Don't judge a game that came out 22 years ago by modern day graphical standards.

>movement behaves shittly, weird controls

It's perfectly fine in the Enhanced Edition with mouselook.

>And the fact that almost every place looks similar with a different logo here and there isn't helping.

Are you serious? The whole game looks widely different and diverse.

>I looked that in some missions you have to travel around several levels to do stuff.

Yeah, this can be very annoying, but it helps the station feel more alive, like people moved around with different items and the like.
>>
>>342143136
>>342140874
Somebody post the Doom/MW4 comparison.
>>
>>342144653
The Executive Level has the best music in the game. I still haven't gotten past the radioactive area yet, though. I have the enviro-suit, but I've just been playing other games lately.
>>
>>342140282
Are you playing the Enhanced Edition? It fixes the control issues, along with making the game have a higher resolution.

You can also try and stop being a little bitch

The game plays perfectly fine, and is infinitely better than 2, stop being such a fucking casual.
>>
SHODAN's audio logs are the best. Find me a creepier villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOjAv5fmPck&list=PLil1BKZCCUzlnhqkyxVEfmRw-aDbIhPfT&index=9
>>
>>342147240
Better not fuck em up in the remaster.
>>
>>342147327
They likely won't change them.
The fans would be pissed if they did.
>>
>>342146345
>How? It's literally click and drag or double click if you're too lazy.
There are many sub-menus and you need to change between them every now and then. The icons are low-res and there even aren't any in the inventory. The drag&drop breaks the mouse-look which you have to activate when leaving the inventory and so on..

>But that's what a huge conical station like that would be like. It wouldn't just be a straight line.
True that, but with that time's graphical technology it looks kinda same everywhere. Also in games the more realistic something is isn't always better. SS2 had a good balance between linear corridors and maze-y areas, and even then people complain how they get lost in that game.

>The music is very fitting
I don't think so, at least on the couple first levels. Or then I'm just not used to midi sounds.

>Why is this an issue?
Because I'm not a native English speaking person and I usually want to read the text while listening to it. I can't concentrate on audio only while playing and can't read different text when the audio is playing.

>It's perfectly fine
No it isn't. The acceleration and player hitboxes are weird. You get bumped into small corners and slopes and crouching and leaning is wonky
>>
Just play SS2, it's rad as fuck.
>>
>>342140282
Wasn't there a new enhanced version that was just released? Does it also have problems?
>>
>>342147667
It only bundles up the mouselook mod and allows you to play at 1024x768
>>
>>342140282
>the musics aren't atmospheric or spooky, just groovy midi tunes
It's not a horror game senpai
>>
>>342147950
>implying the game has to be horror to have a good ambient soundtrack
>>
File: Security2Bot..gif (333 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Security2Bot..gif
333 KB, 500x500
>Reactor level
>>
Playing through 2 right now. Gonna buy 1 when it goes on steam summer sale.
I really like the remix of the intro theme they use in the trailer for the enhanced edition, but I cannot find it anywhere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRp4HT40PE
>>
>>342148091
>implying a soundtrack has to be ambient to be good or atmospheric
I thought it suited the overall tone of the game great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkFgV4SY6x0
>>
>>342148295
why are you such a baka, senpai desu-chan
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition
>>
>>342147950
It's not *supposed* to be one, but SHODAN's voice, her taunts, the sense of loneliness you feel on the station, and the fear of what you're about to encounter on the next floor really makes it feel like one.
>>
What is with all these people who dislike the music in system shock 1-2?
It was fucking radical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdQ5roMuEA
>>
File: 730171.jpg (171 KB, 580x850) Image search: [Google]
730171.jpg
171 KB, 580x850
>>342140874
This is something I simply cannot comprehend
>Bioshock 2
>made by third party developers
>expand on idea of semi-open maps, with multiple entrances, backtracking and hidden goddies for those looking behind every corner
>all around gameplay improvments with more practical plasmid/tonic system and kickass weapons
>story expands original storyline without redconing it
>Bioshock Infinite
>made by original developers
>linear levels with obvious as fuck covers for shooting, and run-of-a-mill safes and chests "secrets"
>gameplay reduced to generic shooter with regenerating health, typical-as-fuck weapons. Plasmids/vigors so bad, they might as well not be there.
>story filled with plotholes, clumsily attached to original via "dude, multiverse, lmao"
>>
I would play it more, but I literally get nausia after like half an hour.
Its still fun to play.
>>
>>342148621
I have to buy something on steam, because they locked my wallet for certain things, meaning i can't put items on the dota 2 market or receive gifts.
otherwise i would buy the gog version.
>>
So, do you guys prefer System Shock 1 or 2?
I've gotten as far as the Executive Level (adiation area) in the first game, and I've only gotten about a half an hour into the second game.
Therefore, I don't think I can make an accurate comparison.

What do you guys think?
>>
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=802.0

Use this mod to make the text in the logs match with the audio. SS1 has a better UI than SS2 because you can actually move and shoot while having your inventory and log windows open unlike with SS2. Audio logs grind SS2 to a halt because you have to totally give up mouse control if you want to keep the transcript of an audio log open.

Also, the maps in SS1 lend more to exploration because their circular designs prevent the player from getting caught in dead ends and having to make frustrating backtracking like in SS2. If people get lost in SS2, it's not necessarily because the maps are complicated, it's because they have bad flow. Use SS1's automap to mark and label places of interest if you're having trouble remembering areas.
>>
File: cyborg elite guard.jpg (204 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
cyborg elite guard.jpg
204 KB, 774x1032
>>342146345
I actually liked the backtracking through different levels. Having to get different items and upgrades to progress and access new areas and secrets made it feel like a "new" Metroid game that I've never played before. Shit was great.
>>
>>342148763
No one dislikes 2's music, one of the best soundtracks in any PC game ever
>>
>>342148782
Good points, but Bioshock 2 sucks tb h
>>
>>342149392
2 is the best Bioshock there is, especially the DLC
>>
>>342149350
There are actually """people""" who mute the music in SS2, and recommend that new players do this as well.
>>
>>342149118
Noice, thanks for the mod
>>
>>342149126
Yeah, it's cool. I just find it a bit annoying at times, especially when I don't know which floor to go to.
Going through the Research Level or the Storage Level is a bit tedious when everything there is dead from your last trip through.

But it did make the station feel more real.
>>
>>342149519
When will the government stop their sinful hand
>>342149350
>>342148763
>Running around the engineering deck, hopped up on a speed hypo, while this music is playing.
A very magical experience
>>
Is it true that sysstem shock 2 is impossible to beat if you don't allocate your stats properly?
>>
>>342150049
Yeah I think you need at least some points in hacking or you can't finish the game, but it pretty mandatory early on too so I don't get why someone wouldn't allocate them that way
>>
>sneaking around the Research level
>leaning around a corner and making a mutant's head burst from the Sparq blue laser beam

Really felt the immersion there, boys. Made me feel like I was ruining SHODAN's plans one laser shot at a time.
>>
>>342147240
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-UUTGamYp8

Not sure who is "creepier" but fuck I love The Master.

>Who else? The Ghouls? Please. NORMALS???
REEE
>>
I'm almost kinda hoping that system shock 3's stat allocation system is closer to deus ex, as in allowing a lot of different play styles.
I want to play a stealth hacker
>>
>>342149110
I like both but I prefer 1 over 2.
1 is great the whole way through while 2 is great until the end areas where it just becomes eh. 2's ending areas feel very rushed compared to the earlier levels. Though 2's ending did make me laugh.

nah
>>
How long do you think it will be until we see some real footage of system shock 3/the system shock 1 remake?
>>
>>342147327
https://youtu.be/okPLF9Ad9ns

They didn't fuck her up, anon.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.