[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One of the hardest rpgs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: DRAGNORlogoDRAGON.png (97 KB, 600x293) Image search: [Google]
DRAGNORlogoDRAGON.png
97 KB, 600x293
Would you say this is one of the hardest RPGs or am I just really bad? I have never liked RPGs where you have to pause combat, but I gave this one a try and I am enjoying it. Thing is, I really suck.

I am playing on normal (usually choose normal-hard for rpgs) but on certain fights - not even bosses - I find myself having to reload cause I die so much.

My original party was.

Me - warrior tank
Morrigan - ice mage - CoC saved me so many times
Leliana - archer
Sten - 2h warrior

Once I got Wynne, I dropped Sten because hes sucked so bad and Wynne's healing helped greatly.

I still find myself dying a lot. I am in the ruined temple atm looking for the Urn of Sacred Ashes. The cultists in here are BRUTAL. One room I was swarmed by 10 guys coming out of different doors. I try to focus mages first because their spells, especially lightning, are deadly.

Any tips? I am using combat tactics and pausing to do things like group heal, CoC, and crushing prison.
>>
At least in some regards it's about limiting how many people you're fighting at the same time and trying to obstruct the opponents from getting to your weaker party members as much as possible. Tactics and good positioning are your friends in games like these.

I wouldn't call it partciularly hard honestly. It's difficult but not that complex and I managed to beat it on insane difficulty which I haven't with most cRPGs.
>>
>>342139495
when I first started I wasn't using tactics at all, now I find setting it properly helps quite a bit. I still find myself having to pause a lot and move characters if they get surrounded and stuff.
>>
>>342140107
You should be pausing all the time to assess the situation. With tactics I didn't mean the ingame tactics were characters do shit on their own, that would optimally be part of your own micro management. I meant good strategy in general i.e. what opponents need to die first, when do you use what abilities etc.
>>
>>342140480
what kind of party setup were you using?

I always like doing warriors first in RPGs, but I find my tank is really poor. His survival is OK, but his damage is average and his threat management is not good. I feel like if I was a mage I would be surviving and killing much faster.
>>
I played on normal with me as Dwarf tank, Morrigan, Alistair, and Sten, and it was easy. The trick for these real time with pause RPGs is to spam debuffs on enemies. The tank abilities are very useful, every fight was my tank aggroing all the enemies with his shitload of health, my Morrigan debuffing the shit out of them and healing the tank and disabling the stronger enemies, and Alistair and Sten going in to mop them up. Alistair wasn't even that useful, I just kept him for story reasons. You should have kept Sten, he deals a shitload of melee damage, especially after you do his quest and get his sword.
>>
if you want to just fuck the game, get Shale for a tank and roll mage. pretty much all their spells wreck the shit out of enemies

2h warrior is really bad, i know cuz that was my main but for ai its even worse

archer? nigga plz
>>
>>342141123
I finished on the hardest difficulty with ranger, those animals were welcome off-tanks.
>>
Get mana clash ASAP it will make fights with images esay, also get a rogue with high locpicking u get alto of XP from opening locked stuff.
>>
>>342141003
what do you mean by debuffs? what spells were you using with Morrigan? I always use CoC, winters grasp, mind blast, drain life, and crushing prison in my rotation.

As for Sten I found him really weak he always getting agro and dying.

>>342141123
whats wrong with archer? Also Shale is DLC, i dont have the ultimate edition.

>>342141857
Leliana has basic lock picking but she still cant open most chests. I think the highest exp I saw was 50 for one chest. Why is wasting points on cunning and lockpicking worth it for that petty exp?

Also yeah I heard good things about mana clash. Cant get it for 3 more lvls though on Morrigan.
>>
File: 1465583949347.jpg (16 KB, 318x479) Image search: [Google]
1465583949347.jpg
16 KB, 318x479
I didn't really have a hard time that I recall, but I was using two mages with two warriors, and started every fight with Sleep or Waking Nightmare. I found that if I could lock down and separate enemies into smaller groups while focusing on killing the shit out of one guy at a time, stuff usually went pretty smoothly. The force field spell in particular is a godsend for "I don't want to deal with you, so you're in time out for the next 30 seconds."

In my second playthrough I abused the heck out of freeze/petrify + auto-crit abilities to immediately shatter the biggest threat. My biggest problem in the playthroughs was really lack of straight up damage. Both of my mages could keep absolute control of the battlefield and let me make entire groups of enemies irrelevant until I was ready to deal with them, but I had trouble dealing with huge single targets. Most of the dragons had enough HP that they could simply wait out my lockdowns and debuffs, and then rampage while I was waiting for cooldowns.
>>
>>342138824
You are really, really bad. It's not even top 10.
>>
Get fireball with Morrigan, it's one of the most overpowered spells in the game.
>>
>>342143870
I find ice very good. Most people on forums said it was the best. I dont think I saw anyone mention fire spells.

>>342143737
oh well... What do you consider hard?
>>
File: wizardry 4.jpg (96 KB, 584x892) Image search: [Google]
wizardry 4.jpg
96 KB, 584x892
>>342144520
Not just the hardest RPG ever made, but one of the hardest games of all time.
>>
>>342138824
Not even as hard as Baldur's Gate which is the entry level CRPG
>>
>>342140993
Tanking isn't really that useful in this game. You are correct in that just doing a ton of damage as fast is possible is generally more effective. Mages are good at that.
>>
>>342138824
On normal? You are just bad. Even Nightmare difficulty is pretty easy. I have to play DA:Origins on Nightmare with the Combat Tweaks mod for the game to be challenging.

-Do not rush into to fights. If you see a large mob, order your party to stand still. Take control of a ranged character and attack some enemies and pull them to your group.

-Enemy mages are priority number 1. Always kill them first.

That's all you need to do to win Origins.
>>
>>342144694
I tried Baldurs Gate 1. I really wanted to like it, but the combat turned me off. That is why I was skeptical about Dragon Age Origins. Baldurs Gate is much worse though... I know people love it, but its like completely random DnD dice rolls. Its like if a party members dies, well better reload my save, every single time. I did like somethings about it, but I couldnt get far because of the crap combat.

>>342144861
Yeah shoulda gone mage. With my tank Im really just trying to taunt the meele and knock them down. Against mages he is screwed.
>>
stop hoarding potions and just use them. with the crafting in the game you basically have infinite
>>
>>342145561
Yeah im definitely taking use of H (hold) party and then dragging the guys into a room. Some of the places in the temple are hard though. You go to 1 door and a bunch of guys flank coming from another direction!
>>
>>342145720
RTFM so you understand the systems. It's a '90s game and expects you to at least be not completely braindead.
>>
>>342146045
Im only making lesser potions. The mats for the other stuff is very expensive.

>>342146750
What does braindead have to do anything? Its DnD dice rolls. I dont enjoy that combat, it can be very, very random. I highly doubt most people continue if they lose a party member to an ogre or something in the forest. Reloading saves over just because you lose is not fun.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.