[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made Ragnarok Online so good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 280x180
What made Ragnarok Online so good?
>>
File: card.png (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
card.png
4 KB, 125x125
>>342120863
thrill of seeing this bad boy
>>
A pretty flexible equipment and stat system that allowed alot of tinkering for optimal stats and experimentation. Together with the non-linear world building it allowed for fun exploration and different "routes" for many classes and their respective builds. Combat became faster the stronger you got and War of the Emperium is still one of the most fun Guild activities I have ever been a part of in MMO's.
There are a lot of elements that came together to make it what it was.
>>
The lack of quests holding your hand through everything.

You job changed and then killed 3 million fucking things, THATS IT. Then you talked to a couple people for a couple endgame dungeons.
>>
Not having anything else to play
>>
good music and cute art did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBgGsuNRIqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCUNruxThQU
>>
File: 1459308718066.jpg (827 KB, 1346x3746) Image search: [Google]
1459308718066.jpg
827 KB, 1346x3746
Open sandbox design that gave every character freedom to explore the world with the only restricting quests being some to unlock dungeon access. Every class had multiple different places to optimally level at any given time. Maps having enemies of a wide variety of strengths and passive or aggressive natures, and enemies having rare drops like slotted equipment and useful cards meant that lower level players and higher level players were constantly visiting the same maps and interacting with each other, as opposed to being completely separated like in any modern MMORPG.

Skills were largely based on scaling based on your stats, which prevented them from being made obsolete by new skills you got later (as in ToS) and skills being balanced separately and having different effects in PvE and PvP allowed them to remain useful in both scenarios while increasing the depth of the mechanics.

Great sprite work and monster designs along with lots of hats. Great music with a wide variety of styles. Lots of lore if you go looking for it.

It did everything right, its only flaws being a UI that shows its age and a lack of side content (such as fishing).
>>
Was it actually good or is it just a nostalgia thing

Looking at it now it looks like your average chinkrpg
>>
>>342127764
It's pretty dated visually and the combat has a focus on auto-attacking, but rather than in your direct second to second gameplay it excels in giving you a world to explore, moreso than any other MMO I've played. For example, TERA has much better combat and graphics, but TERA's quest-guided design is boring, it reuses enemies endlessly, the world has decent art direction but lore never really expands on much of it, and the music sucks. TERA is only good for the combat (and Elin lewds) while RO is great for having a world that's just fun to get lost in.
>>
If you want to get moving forward with your character you had to interact with people. Be it to find a party to make leveling easier or to trade for some item you need either via direct interaction or via merchant shops. Everything had quite an organic feel to it also shuffling low level and higher level character together on maps outside of town was a very clever design choice. It gave you a taste of what could become of you one day and maybe an interaction with that player, giving you some new knowledge about the game.
By making everything a straight railroad, automated party finders and auction houses that do all the hard work for you, with zones having multiple channels to dissappear into most modern mmos have pretty much castrated player interaction. The result is a channel full of people chasing their quest bread crumbs, running past each other without acknowledging other players existences.
>>
>>342120863

Being a baby weeaboo back in the early ~2000s when it wasn't profitable to be catered to.
>>
File: 1466223663630.jpg (418 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1466223663630.jpg
418 KB, 1600x900
>>342120863
posting my exact same post from a few threads ago:

THIS is what made it so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZB1OC2_Pto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqijsweJzFQ

this game had a fucking atmosphere that provoked a sense of wonder, right from the moment you start it up. i don't know if it's just because i'm an adult now, and the nostalgia's hitting me or some shit, but there was just something so wonderful about exploring worlds in mmo's back in the day. i personally think that with the time and resources given to them, a lot of teams truly did the best they could with the tech they had at their disposal at the time. ragnarok, early WoW, city of heroes, matrix online, star wars galaxies, etc. all of them had a unique idea to work with that they tried to flesh out as much as they could.

nowadays you just don't get that sense of love for every detail that used to drive games like this. all of them just feel like they're trying to make that quick microstransaction buck instead of making a quality game that leaves you with a lasting impression.
>>
>>342128792
Back then people messed around and asked for help with quests much more. Now MMORPGs are like single player games with NPCs that runs around, doing quests and grinds like machines. The only interaction is from the forced party quests.
>>
>>342128228
I am playing the game on a private server with /vg/ right now and I think that both the visuals and the gameplay are fine.

What the game kinda needs is interface improvements though.
Like a better guild interface and chat window would be amazing and I think thats a core element of MMOs because thats where you communicate.
>>
>>342120863
What's with these weekly threads. Is this a trwe of savior dev trying to salvage their game
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.