[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the appeal of the Zelda games? Being honest with you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: 1461188999186.jpg (358 KB, 592x926) Image search: [Google]
1461188999186.jpg
358 KB, 592x926
What is the appeal of the Zelda games? Being honest with you here, I have played Ocarina of Time, Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "get the gadget to open this" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
What is the appeal of the CoD games? Being honest with you here, I have played MW, Ghosts, MW2 and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "shot guys to clear path" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
What is the appeal of the Moba games? Being honest with you here, I have played Lol, Dota 2 and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "use hero to kill other guys" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
What is the appeal of the Persona games? Being honest with you here, I have played Persona 3, Persona 4, Nocturne and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "get the demon and fuse it" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
What is the appeal of the Street Fighter games? Being honest with you here, I have played SFIV, SFV, Mahvel and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "pick ken and shoryuken the shit out of the opponent" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
>>342114905
3D Puzzles

Mario is about platforming, not saving the princess

Zelda is about 3D puzzles not saving the princess
>>
>>342114905
mostly nostalgia and brand loyalty
>>
What is the appeal of the Fallout games? Being honest with you here, I have played Fallout 3, New Vegas, Fallout 4 and they all gave the same shitty "open-world" gameplay with the obvious "Talk to boring NPC to advance in a half-baked progression system"" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
What is the appeal of the JRPG games? Being honest with you here, I have played Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Golden Sun and they all gave the same linear gameplay with the obvious "beat ennemies in turn-based battles and follow the story" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
Whats appeal of Super Smash series? Being honest with you here, played Smash 64, Project M, and they all have the same linear gameplay with the obvious "tech and meta git gud" side objectives. I really don't get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
It's fun.

Fun is when you like playing a game even though it has obvious issues.
>>
Well in the first game it was exploration, don't know why after that.
>>
Because that's generally how action adventure games roll.
>>
What's the appeal of souls borne games? They are just smacking dudes with a sword and rolling from time to time, and it is so linear you have to beat the final boss
>>
>>342114905
You played the shitty 3d games.
Go play the 2D games, especially the ones made by capcom. Start with minish cap, it's light and a easy entry point. Go with oracles then, and after that Lttp and awakening.
Everything else is mediocre.
>>
>>342116870
this is actually true though
>>
File: hahayoureafuckingfaggotanon.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hahayoureafuckingfaggotanon.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>342115593
>haven't played fallout 1 and 2
fuck off nigger
>>
Modern Zelda games feel less like an adventure and more like you're on a tour with the most obnoxious tour guides in the world
>>
I actually agree with OP. Maybe it's because I didn't play them growing up, but I recently played OoT on the 3DS and lost interest at the Water Temple. It seems to be a well-made game overall, but I feel like each thing it does well, another series does better. Enjoyable, but nothing close to resembling the GOAT status it gets.
>>
>>342117951
I finished the forest temple I think. The one with the ghosts.
I wasn't really enjoying myself, I should try it again some other day without hype because BEST GAME EVAR!!
>>
>>342117951
>seinfeld effect in video games
You can't make this up
>>
>>342118147
>seinfeld effect
Don't know what that is. Is it being unable to enjoy something when you can't separate your expectations from its reputation?

Love Seinfeld tho
>>
>>342115469
Go FUCK yourself
>>
>>342118395
I played OoT without the knowledge that it even had a reputation as fantastic. It isn't as good as its reputation but is is worth finishing

>>342118558
Why whats wrong with what I said?
>>
Not being another formulaic Zelda is exactly why everyone is excited for the new Zelda
>>
>>342115469
>Zelda is about 3D puzzles not saving the princess
Explain Alttp, Oracles, LA, MC etc.
>>
>>342114905
good question

>>342115167
good question

>>342115272
good question

>>342115346
good question

>>342115427
good question

>>342115593
good question

>>342115751
good question

>>342115846
good question

>>342116870
good question

I FUCKING HATE GAMES
>>
>>342118623
Zelda was never originally about puzzles
The greater focus on puzzles with each new game eventually lead to the stagnation of the series and piles of shit like TP and SS.
>>
>>342114905
Learning to navigate any given environment with the tools given to you, then using what you've learned to get out. The games also have great atmosphere despite lackluster stories, so taking in the world is nice.

>>342117951
Very few games even follow a formula remotely similar to Zelda. I don't know what you mean.
>>
>>342118714
>OoT, PH, TP
Ok i'll admit I misspoke, 3D zeldas are about 3D puzzles

Alttp and MC were about 2D puzzles, I never bothered with La or Oracles

>>342118848
I never said it was a good thing, the case is simply now that the series focuses on puzzles
>>
>>342117089

> being an elitist 2Dfag
> not even mentioning the NES titles

Go big or go home, faggot. Still, good on you for repping the Oracles at least.
>>
File: death mountain.png (272 KB, 435x275) Image search: [Google]
death mountain.png
272 KB, 435x275
>>342118708
I for one am excited for the legend of zelda 3.
>>
>>342118925
I might be an elistist but the original Zelda aged like milk and Zelda 2 is a cool game but not exactly a good starting point or representative or Zelda in general. Those are games for people highly investd in the franchise.

And I don't know if I'm an elitist. I just can't understand why people enjoy 3D zelda. The combat is shit, the puzzles and dungeons are simplistic compared with what 2D zelda offers and the world design is equal.
>>
>>342118989

4. Let's be real here anon, ALttP was an ambitious sequel in its time. That the series dickrode its formula for 20 years is not its fault.
>>
>>342118904
>Very few games even follow a formula remotely similar to Zelda
I didn't necessarily mean the game's general formula as much as individual characteristics of the game: exploration, puzzle-solving, combat, atmosphere, etc. The counter-argument might be that the series is greater than the sum of it's parts, but something like that never really clicked for me.
>>
>>342119394
It's a fine game sure, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a theme park game, not an exploration game.
>>
File: 1439094128104.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1439094128104.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>342114905
What's the appeal of epic new pasta? Being honest with you here, I have read I am a Navy Seal, Becoming Japanese for Real, and I am not a Copypasta, and they all have the same liner script with the obvious "open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur" side stories. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
>>342118848
>TP and SS
>shit
They're both great.
SS was amazing, the resolution did it no justice, and it was just too linear, other than that, incredible.

TP is literally fucking perfect on everything but seriousness.
TP was the perfect chance to make a very serious LoZ, and they wasted it.
>>
>>342119356

3D Zelda was actually pretty ambitious for its first couple entries, OoT in particular being pivotal in the growth of 3D gaming. From WW onwards it does kind of ride on the untouchable legacy of the N64 games but they're still games with solid design. BotW does look like the first one that has a shot in hell of uprooting the N64 games, though.
>>
>>342118395
I've heard it called "Seinfeld isn't funny". The idea is that people who have never watched Seinfeld today who watch won't find it funny, but people who watched it when it was new do find it funny. The reasoning is that when the show first aired it was original and fresh, and as a result a lot of shows and other parts of culture began to draw from it for inspiration. As a result people who would be watching it for the first time now don't find it as fresh or original as it was initially because they've been already been exposed to everything that was fresh about by proxy with the things that took off from it. Applied to OoT, people who didn't play it when it was new don't appreciate all of the things it had done for the very first time because modern games have taken so much from it and are now taken for granted.
>>
>>342114905
The appeal of legend of zelda goes back to either the first one where it was less linear, or nostalgia. Watch egoraptor's video on OOT to get a good comparison of the new zeldas to the original.
>>
>>342119926

I'm a pretty big TP advocate, it's my favorite Zelda, but it's not quite perfect. Its general design favors story and setpieces over exploration, the difficulty is low even for the series' standards, and it probably has the most inconsistent pacing I've seen in a game. Still adore it for the things it does well, but TP certainly has its faults.
>>
People grew up with it. It was innovative at the time and now it's engrained into the tastes of most Nintendo fans. Not to say that they're not great games in their own right. I've a couple and they're fun but it's not what I grew up with so I'm not a hype beast for it. That said the new Zelda does look fun. I feel like it could capture the original feeling the designer had which is exploring, navigating, and general adventuring a strange land.
>>
>>342119970
Story sure, but in gameplay what does OOT do differently from link to the past? You're still going through dungeons where you know you'll get the exact treasure you need to beat the boss.
>>
>>342120458
I didn't grow up with them. But the only ones I like are 1 and 2 for the exploration also wind waker because I like sailing
>>
>>342120608

Design-wise, nothing. No Zelda has really tried to meaningfully walk away from ALttP's design until SS, and even then those were baby steps. Mechanics-wise, it pioneered good Z-targeting and provided a smooth answer for how to do 3D combat. People were still trying to figure that out when OoT was new.
>>
All games you people listed here are pretty much trash, might give an exeption to darksouls since i enjoyed it, i really dont understand how you people can like these games woth their artstyle for 9 year olds and shitty puzzle gameplay none of these things are appealing, but whatever gets your virtual dick errect I guess
I play stuff like gothic, operation flashpoint and postal 2 and similar games if you're interested
>>
>>342120917
The game only needed Z targeting because the damn n64 controller only had 1 analog stick.
>>
>>342121076
>are pretty much trash, might give an exeption... since i enjoyed it

I love dark souls too but this is a terrible reason to call a game trash or not. it implies you can't recognize a game as good unless you enjoy it
>>
>>342114905
No idea. I try not to overthink things that I like, otherwise, I might ruin them for myself
>>
>>342121126

2 analogs wouldn't become a standard anywhere for a few more years. We're talking the late 90s here.
>>
File: 1460998592469s.jpg (8 KB, 188x250) Image search: [Google]
1460998592469s.jpg
8 KB, 188x250
>>342114905
>Hey, Jimmy Jim Jimbo, did you know that the Allies had aerial photographs of Auschwitz all throughout WII? But there's no images of any massive gassing operation taking place? Isn't that just completely quackers, Jimbob?
>>
>>342121252
I get what you mean but i just cant really think of anything good about those other games
>>
>>342122420

Historical context justifies Zelda and Street Fighter at a bare minimum.
>>
>>342122796
Lol what fucking context just because you have your childhood nostalgia it doesnt mean its good, ok i think i should just stop posting, i mean if you think its good and enjoy it good for you just dont try to force others to think the same way
>>
What is the appeal of the Pokemon games? Being honest with you here, I have played Diamond, White 2, Y and they all have the same gameplay with the obvious "beat gym leader to progress" side objectives. I really do not get the appeal. Explain it to me.
>>
>>342123115
because of all the games that take inspiration from then, Jesus christ watch a developer interview once in awhile, many of them grew up on and were inspired by classic games such as Zelda or SF
>>
>>342123115

The earliest Zeldas were pretty forward thinking, from establishing cartridge saves to being among the first action RPGs to good targeting systems in 3D combat, and if I recall correctly Street Fighter 2 accidentally created the combo game in fighters.
>>
>>342123115
Zelda and SF pioneered several mechanics and invented genres. Hell, Zelda arguably invented a genre twice.
If you can't see why those games wouldn't have been beloved at the time, you're a retard.
>>
>>342121076
>gothic
>operation flashpoint
>postal 2
Wew lad, that absolute shit taste. Hope you were just shitposting.
>>
>>342123115
You already sabotaged any hint of objectivity and good taste when you torpedoed the great games listed above and praised shit like Op Flashpoint and Postal 2. You're an edgy, teen faggot at best. Fallout is shit though, I'll agree.
>>
What's the appeal of video games? Being honest here.
>>
>>342124151

Fun, at least for people who enjoy them anyways.
>>
>>342114905
Ocarina of time is a pretty big step down from LttP and few have reached so high.

Replayability is king and alttp doesnt disappoint with the later 2/3rds being so non-linear
>>
>>342124638

I've never been the biggest fan of ALttP. I mean it's good but I like a good deal of games in the series more than it. As far as 2D goes I'll take the Oracles, the NES games, and even ALBW over it.
>>
File: s.jpg (92 KB, 800x558) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
92 KB, 800x558
>>342124969
albw dungeons felt like they were all designed as teh first dungeon and items rarely help outside their dedicated dungeon. Alttp has actual dungeons that are intimidation, confusing, and most importantly designed to fool you with red herrings. The entire dungeon is a puzzle because of how open the routes are with the keys and doors, many times you can optimize your routes to save time and not use all the keys or explore all the rooms if youjust want to speed through, not many zeldas give you that freedom.

Same goes for the dark world progression as well, once you get the hammer from the first dungeon you can basically go anywhere else in the game, I often avoid the hookshot or get it as early as possible because of how much that changes the dynamic of the rest of the game.

If new zelda can do the same, being able to do dungeons in many different orders and the items atually impacting the playthrough of each dungeon we might have the sequel to alttp i always wanted. Also I love how many weapons and other items you end up with at the end, its amazing how useful they all are.

OoT is good but too limited and lacking in dungeons. Most zelda games are lacking dungeons if they dont have more than Zelda fucking 1
>>
>>342114905
Appeal of Zelda games? Well originally it was exploring and finding secrets since that hadn't been done too much in videogames at the time, and not as well as Zelda did. Now? Now it's about being twenty years behind every other franchise on the market. Like most of Nintendo IPs.
>>
>>342125751

To each their own. I think you value freedom more than I do, and to be honest I don't have much fondness for ALttP's items. As for OoT, it has as many main dungeons as Zelda 1, and the adult dungeons do have a degree of non-linearity to them. Dungeon design is far more straightforward than ALttP's, though.
>>
>>342114905
Nowadays? Reliable attention to detail and grand sense of adventure mixed with dungeon crawling and puzzle solving. The series has changed over the years, and different periods of the franchise provide different experiences, attracting a motley crew of fans.

>>342115167
Reliable and accessible online multiplayer with a plethora of unlockables to keep players playing.

>>342115272
Low skill floor brings players in, highish ceiling keeps them playing for a while. Has the remarkable quality of making the player feel good even if they're shit, so no one thinks it's their fault when they lose and everyone thinks they're good at the game.

>>342115346
Interesting atmosphere and story combined with cute girls and a decent turn-based combat system.

>>342115427
Complex fighting game that allows equally for high level and low level play. Likable roster of characters and easy to use controls.

>>342115593
Becoming investing in the game's world and building the desire to make your character more powerful and alter the fate of the story.

>>342115751
Wide variety of interesting settings paired with a variety of combat types give the genre a lot more variety than their Western counterparts, and usually provide a better sense of adventure than platformers or action games.

>>342115846
An accessible and unique fighter-platformer hybrid that can be enjoyed and played in many different ways, including high-level competitive play which keeps some fans playing for a long time.

>>342116870
Brilliantly combines old school game design philosophy with modern technological advancements to provide a unique experience. Avoids most of the stupid flaws that are killing AAA games right now.

>>342123302
Extremely complex battle system has loads more depth than demonstrated at first glance, and the "gotta catch 'em all" phenomenon will never die.

>>342124151
Beats me.
>>
File: 1443198868709.jpg (224 KB, 708x847) Image search: [Google]
1443198868709.jpg
224 KB, 708x847
>>342126936
This anon knows what the fuck is up.

Hiroshimoot please make this the new mod of /v/
>>
>>342124151
It let's me hide away and avoid actually being alive.
>>
>>342126936

Your dedication to seriously acknowledging shitposting is foolhardy, yet oddly respectable.
>>
>>342126580
>I think you value freedom more than I do
This is true, I feel like this ends up being where my taste differs so much.

>As for OoT, it has as many main dungeons as Zelda 1
To me this was a large let down, zelda 1 doesnt even have the three tutorial dingeuons, where as OoTs first three are almost a joke in how easy they are. Sure alttps first three are also too easy but a least the bosses could be a challenge if you arent prepared.

If we can get a 3d zelda with as many dungeons as alttp I'd be in heaven. 12 fucking dungeons plus the smaller mini-dungeons as well? Sign me up but only if you can replay them in different orders that actually changes the dungeons feel and difficulty.

My favorite part of alttp is going to a very late game dungeon with as few items as possible, the challenge is pretty intense sometimes.

>>342126936
dayum son
>>
>>342127374

Well, 3D dungeons are probably far more resource intensive. I mean WW, TP, and SS are all like 40-50 hour long games and they have 6, 9, and 7 dungeons respectively.
>>
>>342127363
Literally could not have worded that better.
>>
>>342128086
Perhaps, anon, it was always a good thread?
>>
>>342127785
This is true, add that with the fact their storage mediums have been subpar the past few generation and it makes sense
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.