[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buzzwords hipsters repeat thinking they are saying something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 18
File: 003.jpg (224 KB, 963x557) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
224 KB, 963x557
*tight controls
*great level design*
*cinematic experience
*deep story*
*innovative concept*
>>
File: 1452985689028.jpg (78 KB, 500x653) Image search: [Google]
1452985689028.jpg
78 KB, 500x653
>if I don't understand what something means, it's a buzzword
>>
I don't get your image
>>
>>342113513
a 2D parody gets 8.5+ scores because buzzwords
"Indie"
"classic"
"old school"
>>
>>342113783
Shovel Knight wasn't a parody, it was a love letter
>>
>>342114094
oh..
Love letter is Renegade Ops, Shovelware Knight is a 2D parody at best. Cheap "MUH PIXEL" hype kinda of game
>>
>>342113393
I bet you didn't even play it
>>
>>342114252
You really haven't played it, have you?
>>
>>342113393
>toxic
>>
>>342113393
"tight controls"
"great level design"
>buzzwords
Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>342115584

This. That's just OP being a faggot.
>>
File: faggotville.jpg (236 KB, 497x427) Image search: [Google]
faggotville.jpg
236 KB, 497x427
>>342113393
>*tight controls
>*great level design*
>buzzword
pic related
>*cinematic experience*
this again isn't even a buzzword, but while critics consider it a positive most people here don't
>>
>>342113393
>the indie """movement"""

I swear it's all these millenbials know
>>
Are you that one autistic anon who really hates Shovel Knight?
>>
>classic shooter
>>
>>342113393
Nowadays buzzwords is nothing more than a way to say "I don't know what the fuck it means, but I don't want to be seen like an idiot on the internet, better to say it's all mumbo jumbo and nothing else".
>>
>>342115584
explain tight controls then if it isn't a buzzword.
>>
If hipsters were more concerned about level design and tight controls, and less about their arbitrary checklist of diversity, the industry would be a better place.
>>
>"fun"
>>
>>342117006
The controls are responsive and feel good? Not floaty or loose
>>
>>342117427
None of that made any fucking sense...I can't name a single fucking game that felt floaty or loose...
>>
>>342117427
That makes no sense. Controls are controls. "floaty" or "loose" don't mean ANYHTING
>>
File: 1466395885860.png (301 KB, 476x476) Image search: [Google]
1466395885860.png
301 KB, 476x476
>>342113393
>I haven't played the game I'm criticizing: the thread
I mean, I presume you're just fishing for those sweet (You)'s OP, but Shovel Knight /does/ have good controls and level design. More importantly, it's FUN - or is fun a buzzword now too? What isn't a buzzword these days? I can't fucking keep up with you memelords these days

Shovel Knight is probably one of the few pixelshit games done right, and in my opinion the Plague Knight campaign is even better. You should be fucking begging that indies make more Shovel Knights and Cave Story's and less vvvvv's and Terraria's.
>>
is this implying shovel knight isn't good?
>>
>>342113393
Shovel Knight is nothing like Ducktales. You'd know that if you actually tried it.
>>
>>342117543
>>342117585
Like shadow of the colossus, or like gta 4 driving
>>
>>342117691
Anon, don't. It won't work.
>>
>>342117543
>>342117585
It's an "OP literally suffers from autism" episode.
>>
When someone goes on about a game's "tight controls" in a review, it's very clear that they don't know what else to talk about. Tight controls in a shmup, really? Wow, how unusual.
>>
>>342117543
Controls are floaty when your input is giving the character too much momentum, which delays the response to the next command. Tight controls mean there's little to no situations where your input is delayed due to ongoing animations.
>>
>>342117926
Okay yes but this is an image about platformers, where the designer's vision can include things like friction, gravity, ledge hangs, and all sorts of other possibly broken shit. It's like Mario Bros vs Prince of Persia. One is tight, the others loose. If you can't acknowledge that then I don't know how you get through life.
>>
File: 1243581295084.jpg (38 KB, 540x413) Image search: [Google]
1243581295084.jpg
38 KB, 540x413
>>342117585
Go play some Quake Live and then go play Planetside 2 and tell me if you think "floaty" or "loose" don't mean anything.
>>
>>342113393
>cinematic experience
You know this has been a phrase used since the 90s, right? Even Nintendo used it ALL the time to describe Star Fox 64.
>>
>>342117006
>no input lag
>no delay caused by character animations
>proper feedback to the player that the input worked
>>
>>342117543
Play SSB Brawl
>>
>>342113393
How autismal of you
>>
>>342117594
Terraria and VVVVVV are good games though, you could've picked much better examples of indieshit garbage. Specially Terraria, what the fuck is wrong with it?
>>
File: exper_on_this_topic.jpg (109 KB, 660x668) Image search: [Google]
exper_on_this_topic.jpg
109 KB, 660x668
>>342117006
it means that your inputs get translated on screen quickly and effectively
There are two levels for this: a lower one, which usually always needs to be tightest and an upper one.
The lower one is how fast a game actually reads your input and how much inputs it loses. A game needs to be perfect here, and games that fails here are usually not optimized well.
At the upper level there is what the games does with the input it caught? Does it alters immediately your trajectory? Usually different genres use different speed here, and getting it right changes how your game feels. There is no golden standard because it depends on your moves and animations.
For example old platformer where 100% tight, but later ones altered this in part. SMW is less tight in turning mario, and sonic even less depending on the momentum. But both still have very tight jumps, and animations to inform the player that turning is happening. A bad example would be the last witcher combat, where moving Geralt feels slow and stiff, because his turn are too affected by his turning animations. Castlevania solves this, because it has turning animations, but they do not block movement.
This second layer gets partially mixed up sometimes with other aspects, like floaty jumps, that are due to the physics calibration, but I can see why, as they are aspect on how the character feels
>>
>>342118465
It's 30 minutes of gameplay stretched way past it's welcome. Updates only add more endlessly pointless and similar content grind.
>>
>>342117543
>>342117585
You are mentally ill
>>
>>342118620
What an awful opinion yiu have.
Updates are accurate though
>>
>>342118201
There are times it's worth mentioning of course, but those are typically exceptions. Most of the time it serves as sort of a "filler compliment". Like, is it really worth pointing out that a fucking precision platformer has tight controls like it's some kind of exception? Even the absolute worst ones on the market have tight controls.
>>
>>342119460
That is the literal point of a review Anon. "Yes. This is indeed a tight platformer as advertised." Or "actually no, this controls like a floaty piece of dog shit don't buy it."
>>
>>342119460
not him, but it's nice to see them mentioned and discussed in a review, especially if the reviews also considers how they interact with moves and action possible. Maybe they shouldn't be in the pros/cons section if they are standard good
>>
>>342119876
DIscussing them indepth is useful, having that as a major point in the pros/cons list just comes off as the author not knowing what else they can actually praise.
>>
File: you.jpg (19 KB, 300x307) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
19 KB, 300x307
phew lads, im out of here
it was fun while it lasted, but thus thread has sealed the deal
>>
>>342113783

Parody m8?

Shovel Knight was one of the only decent RETRO THROWBACK games ever made. Shit was polished as fuck.
>>
>>342113393
Oh hey, I remember you from that MN9 thread. You were butthurt how people praised Shovel Knight and dissed MN9 and claimed it was hypocrisy.

I guess you are trying to become a new epic meme troll poster now? Good luck with that I guess. These days /v/ is so much full of shit that its difficult to gain attraction.
>>
>>342117585

Are you fucking real
>>
>>342117543
Bethesda combat
>>
>>342120201
More like the only decent retro throwback you've played, and it's obvious that you haven't played many.
>>
>>342120283
Forced memeing is a meme in and of itself, after all.
>>
>>342120428

Name one other

No seriously, I want more and I'm sick of buying dogshit that people liked because MUH 8-bit

I already played Mutant Mudds
>>
>>342113393
All those are fine if the review actually qualifies them. If they just say it and move on, OP is correct. If they actually go in depth about it, OP is a faggot.

Knowing the difference could save your life.
>>
>>342120561
La Maulana, Lyle in Cube Sector, Momodora are just three of my favorites.
>>
>>342120315
>Bethesda combat
they have no combat system but they control like a standard fps, no delay, health bar give immediate feedback. how is it "floaty"
>>
>>342113393
Innovative and cinematic are buzzwords, everything else you said is a pretty reasonable thing to say about a game.
I'll help you out though:

>clunky
>immersive
>atmospheric
>promising
>>
>>342120561
Freedom Planet. Came out the same year except is a much better game all around. Volgarr The Viking's really good too and actually feels like a retro game mechanically, not just on the surface level. If we're counting non-indie stuff then there's Double Dragon Advance which is fucking incredible and Contra 4
>>
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT SHOVEL KNIGHT
BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT YACHT CLUB
ALAH AKBAR
>>
>>342113393
>buzzwords
But anon, everything you listed is a phrase and not a word.
>>
>Rip off Ducktales pogo stick gimmick
>Don't rip off the the ability to bounce over spikes

I can't be the only one who died trying this the first time
>>
>>342113512
if you can't elaborate on any of the OP's phrases, then they're useless, and might as well be buzzwords

curiously enough, I always see retards on here use those exact same phrases, and whenever someone asks them to expand on that, they clam up like the droning faggots they are
>>
>>342120810
I think he's speaking about with the "weight" of the animations, where the opposite is floaty, not loose/tigth that applies to controls
>>
>>342120847
>Freedom Planet
>"much better game all around"
I love both anon but that seems like an exaggeration. Freedom Planet is as riddled with flaws as Shovel Knight is, it only gets a free pass from most of /v/ because it did the 16-bit meme instead of the 8-bit meme, and Sonic fans have been starved of passable games since the early 2000s.
>>
>>342121123
>if something cannot be rigidly defined and objectively measured then it doesn't exist
You're right anon, all control schemes, level designs, stories and concepts are exactly the same and of equal quality

Oh, wait, no, that's retard
>>
>>342121123
That's been this whole thread you fucking illiterate cock sucker. Shouldn't you be learning your times tables or something right now? Pay attention in school.
>>
>>342120847
Freedom Planet has an identity crisis though, the levels are designed in such a way that makes it seem like the developers didn't know if they want to encourage slow or fast play, so they just mishmashed it and left it to speedrunners to exploit the fuck out of levels.
I'll give you Volgarr, though.
>>
>>342115584
Fucking kill yourself.
"Great level design" has got to be the most meaningless compliment of a game that I've ever heard, yet you mongoloids spout it constantly. Only rarely, in my 8 years of being here, have I seen anyone actually explain how a level is "well-designed" without saying
>UHHH IT'S FUN
>it just feels good...
>lots of secrets!
>muh branching pathways

I absolutely loathe you fucking mouthbreathers.
>>
>>342113393
OP is a MN9 backer that is going into an autistic shitfit over Shovel Knight getting praise while MN9 turned out to be shit. This is like the third thread I've seen in like 2 hours pushing this shit.
>>
>>342113393
>Archaic
>Toxic
>>
>>342121210
Shovel Knight's biggest flaw is that it's a game which is only entertaining for a single short, easy playthrough, after that it has practically nothing to offer. Even the NG+ checkpoint placement doesn't matter because the game becomes too easy after your first playthrough. Not the same with Freedom Planet, it's a game with much more interesting mechanics which highly encourages mastery. So after beating it, it's very likely that you'll just want to play the levels again, get better times, get a better flow and have more fun. Each new playthrough is more fun than the last, unlike Shovel Knight which just gets stale as fuck. That right there is more than enough to make up for its flaws, since replayability's the most important thing for these types of short platformers.
>>
>>342120561
>>342120201

Maldita Castilla
La Mulana
Super Bat Puncher
Battle Kid

There's more but I can't remember off the top of my head, but Shovel Knight certainly isn't in the "best"

Maldita Castilla is arguably a far better and more faithful retro throwback
>>
>>342113393
>Great level design
This one actually means something, the rest are meaningless buzzwords.
>>
>>342120737
Lyle in Cube Sector is good shit and criminally underrated.
>>
>>342113393
You got the money on most of them, but "tight controls" and "great level design" are actual things that make games great; they aren't (or shouldn't be) shitty throwaway words when you just wanna say a game is good.
>>
>>342121409
>troglodyte putting words in my mouth
fucking subhuman

>>342121419
hardly. only the tight controls have been properly expanded on. anything else has just been masturbatory nonsense with just more padding and buzzwords. please let school start again, for you faggots
>>
>>342121497
>lots of secrets!
>muh branching pathways
Both marks of good level design, fampai.
>>
>>342113512
Except duck tales shits on shovelware knight
>>
File: rebels.jpg (137 KB, 700x866) Image search: [Google]
rebels.jpg
137 KB, 700x866
>>342121497
>it hasn't been adequately explained in casual conversation on /v/ so that means it's never been explained ever!
Maybe you're just an ignorant casual that doesn't know what he's talking about? Ever read this book? Didn't think so. Maybe you should if you want to educate yourself on the topic instead of just shitposting about how stupid you are and blaming /v/ for not having spoonfed you.
>>
>>342113393
How the fuck is "Great level design" a buzzword?
>>
I didn't know /v/ was so easy to b8
You really got bamboozled
>>
>>342118603
That's a pretty well-constructed post, Anon

SMW's controls were pretty fucking good for the most part though
>>
>>342121792
>only the tight controls have been properly expanded on
So? That and Great level design are the only phrases that really need to be expanded on.
>>
>>342113393
Comfy
Fun

/thread
>>
>>342121497
>muh branching pathways
Honestly I think that's a legitimate factor in the quality of a game's level design. Compare Dishonored to the recent Thief reboot - yes, Dishonored trumps it in almost every category, but let's look at level design. Dishonored has large levels with multiple pathways, multiple ways to complete a quest, and an element of verticality (practically any roof can be scaled.) Thi4f is extremely linear, with rope climbing only available in very specific places.

TL;DR - "Good level design" is open to interpretation and difficult to describe, but branching pathways are usually superior to mediocre linearity.
>>
>>342117543
Go to your local gamestop and buy the 3 cheapest action based games you can find.

You'll understand then.
>>
File: 1366849997593.jpg (19 KB, 217x235) Image search: [Google]
1366849997593.jpg
19 KB, 217x235
>>342121587
>not doing no relic no upgrade no checkpoint runs
Not even taking into account Plague Knight mode
>>
>>342121897
are you people seriously fucking retarded. I didn't say that at all. Of course "great level design" can be elaborated on, but the fucking idiot highschoolers in here can't do it, and /v/ has completely turned the phrase into a meaningless brownie point. Holy fuck. Then again, I don't expect any reading comprehension from Game Design buffs that were too stupid to study CS, Math, or Engineering. I'm sure you're not one of those, and you just read that book in your spare time, though.
>>
>>342122425
this is bait
>>
>>342121792
It's called on-going discussion you dumb nigger. Besides as other anons have mentioned the easy answer to your question is "no one wants to spoon-feed you."
>>
>>342121587
The funny thing is that you've effectively just described the difference between NES Capcom platformers (Mega Man, Duck Tales) and Genesis Sonic. In that sense, they both did exactly what they set out to do.

With that being said, I think Freedom Planet suffers from not knowing whether it wants its level design to be Sonic, Sparkster or something else entirely, so the 'flow' of the levels is pretty janky compared to its inspirations. Shovel Knight similarly suffers from being too easy for it's style of gameplay. Both of them have good features and bad features that, in my opinion, just about balance them out.
>>
>tight controls

your character doesn't looks like he has shoes made of soap or takes 0.9 seconds to actually start moving when you try to control him. Tight controls: Megaman. Bad controls: Slaughter Sport

>great level design

I really don't know exactly how to define, but maybe something related to the way the level is presented, if it is challenging in a fair way and not because random enemy pops without warning and drain your energy or there are invisible traps on the floor like CV2 or is a clusterfuck. Good level design: Again with Megaman, specially the first X game. Bad level design: Bubsy for being a fucking clusterfuck.

Story and FMV are for faggots and sexhavers, so I don't care
>>
>>342122220
That's too general of a statement, it only applies for certain games. Branching pathways for example would not be very good for a game aimed at tightly designed levels that you're supposed to rush through reacting to things as you go because it would make readability harder and would force the developers to make more encounters which could easily fuck up the tight design.
>>
>tight controls
controls are not locked down to trivial things like animation, character positioning etc
>great level design
the levels each feature various well designed challenges unique to them throughout the game
>cinematic experience
the game feels like a movie
>deep story
the story and the characters have several layers to them, such as backstories or allied characters having a conflict of interest
>innovative concept
the game features gameplay concepts that are both unique and progressive for the genre, usually something that is then copied by newer games in the same genre
>>
>>342120561
The AVGN game is ok. I'm reasonably confident when I say that they managed to capture the gameplay of each kind of game they were emulating because I was able to beat the levels based on genres I had experience with easily and struggled on the ones I hadn't played as much.

That said the game isn't really that great, they just did a really good job capturing the various styles they tried throwing back to. The game suffers from the natural problem that the stuff AVGN focuses on is the dumb stuff in those old games so his game is basically pure distilled bullshit.
>>
>>342122425
>Then again, I don't expect any reading comprehension from Game Design buffs that were too stupid to study CS, Math, or Engineering. I'm sure you're not one of those, and you just read that book in your spare time, though.
>Deflection
>Projection
ayyy, you do you. If all you want to say is
>/v/ is shit
Well, no shit.
But tell me how this thread is making it any better?
>>
>>342114094
A love letter from an ugly skank with herpes.
>>
>>342122350
My first playthrough was a no relic run so I guess I missed out on that. You can do a no checkpoint playthrough of Freedom Planet too, and it's more rewarding because it has a built in lives system instead of the entire challenge being self-enforced. It also has 2 more characters
>>
>>342113393
*inspired by earthbound*
*jrpg* I hate this one so much, it's a fucking western rpg if it's not made in japan
>>
>>342122626
Sure, that's a valid observation. As I said, "good level design" is very difficult to describe and widely open to interpretation. But I know one thing for certain: smart levels with branching paths are a metric fuckton better than lazy open-world games with vast empty fields.
>>
>>342122425
>>342122656
Oh jeeze and there goes the rest of your bullshit complaints. Someine just spoon-fed you. Hot fucking damn.

Maybe you can go away now?
>>
>>342114094
Shovel Knight was try hard.
>>
>found a couple of good platformers
well, at least OP shitty thread of mental retardation was worth something
>>342122067
Never implied that. SMW controls are excellent, like Sonic. The looser momentum controls add depth to the platforming and give weight to the characters. Meanwhile those controls would have sucked in something like Castlevania, more combat oriented.
>>
>>342122583
it's been an "on-going discussion" for years

and they can't spoon-feed me, anyway
>>
Mega Man is THE game to look at if you want to understand what tight controls are. I don't even care for the series that much but the first thing you notice when playing them is how responsive the movement is.
>>
>>342122425
>and you just read that book in your spare time, though.
OH WOW HE DIDN'T GET ASSIGNED THE BOOK IN SCHOOL OR FOR WORK AND READ IT ALL ON HIS OWN AS AN AUTODIDACT WOW WHAT A FUCKING RETARD XDDDD
>>
>>342121497
Great level design is when levels are fun

The most important thing of level design are proper use of antepieces. The level needs to feel like it actually builds upon itself and the best way to do that is to design levels around one kind of obstacle in various situations. Obstacles in a level are best designed by introducing it to the player in a safe environment before gradually removing the safety nets. That's what makes a level properly balanced. You can adjust the difficulty by adding more or less safety nets, more or less obstacles, etc. You can go too far or not far enough with an idea, though, so it's still necessary to let people test your levels.

If you follow those instructions your levels won't feel dull, overwhelming or random. Adding secrets and branching pathways helps to make your level replayable but aren't necessary. A well-designed linear experience is always better than an open piece of shit.
>>
>>342113512
buzzword is a buzzword these days
>>
>>342121596
This. People only liked it because it was pushed by fags to the masses. I played it and thought it was utter shit. The game feels like a duck tales knock off with a "EL OH EL SO RANDUM NITE WID A SHUVL!! XDDD ECKS DEE"
>>
>>342121123
"tight controls" and "great level design" are genuine qualities of a game though, while it's often used loosely, without further extrapolation, that doesn't make them any less true.

For platformers, calibration of controls is actually very important, you don't want jumping to feel too floaty or too heavy, you have to take input lag into question (does he jump instantly when pressing the button or is there a wind-up?), you need to determine whether midair control is allowed or not and you need to consider peak altitude (how far up can the character jump) as well as extra abilities (like double jumps and whether the charge count for double jumps includes falling off edges or not), calibration of controls in platformers is actually very important as you can't begin developing anything else before you've sorted this out, because the calibration of the controls and the level design needs to fit together, for instance if your character can double jump from the get-go, you're going to need to have jumps early on that can only be cleared by using it, in the same way other platforming challenges need to be calibrated around how floaty or heavy your midair control is, peak altitude and whether you can redirect (move) your character in midair as well as any other special abilities (like dashing).

"Good level design" is more ambigious I feel, but the most common way to go about level design in platformers is to give you a few central mechanics (jumping, pogoing, double jumping) and then extrapolation for every permutation through the level design, that is, the level design should introduce more mechanics (and be calibrated to the controls) than the ones you're given through the course of the game, but this is more a matter of opinion on design rather than factual so take that as you will.
>>
File: 1416140684389.jpg (69 KB, 600x349) Image search: [Google]
1416140684389.jpg
69 KB, 600x349
>All these Shitae fans mad that Shovel Knight is more popular and successful than their shitty waifubait garbage despite coming out a decade later with one game
>>
>>342123287
You didn't play shit you fucking liar.
>>
>>342122992
You ever tried Super Mario Bros. Crossover with Simon Belmont? You really feel the clunkiness shine through the controls.
>>
>>342117594
>terraria
Are you playing Terraria as a platforer
Answer me honestly
>>
>>342122936
>well-designed challenges
Lmao, nice rewording without actually explaining or saying anything of note

>feels like a movie
how, you fucking nigger

>several layers to them
meaningless, and that doesn't make a good or """"deep""""" story. christ, my /lit/ and /tv/ senses are being triggered

>>342123074
what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>342122868
>*jrpg* I hate this one so much, it's a fucking western rpg if it's not made in japan
Just like a Swiss Army Knife is called an American Store Knife if it's sold in America, right? Oh wait, no, you're retarded.
>>
>>342123075
Thanks, this is an actually good post. Great work.
>>
>>342122425
I have a doctorate in maths. Suck my dick anytime, wageslave
>>
>>342123541
Thanks Anon

I've worked on games for about a decade now so this stuff is pretty important to me.
>>
>>342123349
Fuck you, nerd. I bought it BECAUSE everyone and their brother was raving about it. The game was stupid. The concept was even dumber. If you're gonna rip off duck tales, at least do it right. You can't even pogo on level hazards. You just fell for the "good old SNES days game" meme. Fuck your indie shit game.
>>
>>342123564
what's it like being a highschool teacher/professor/NEET/codemonkey/grantslave/actuary/starbucks barista
>>
File: 1463466334262.jpg (45 KB, 728x728) Image search: [Google]
1463466334262.jpg
45 KB, 728x728
>>342123564
>I have a doctorate in maths
Congrats you're good at something with no real-world application
>>
>>342123459
Okay man if you can't figure those out by yourself I really don't know what to tell you. I could. I just actively choose not to. Please don't confuse them. There's a difference and it's primarily a direct result of your inability to think fir yourself.

inb4
>canned bait response of NO U.
>>
>>342123810
>Math
>No real world applications
>>
File: QPU Alignment Full.png (371 KB, 1594x1312) Image search: [Google]
QPU Alignment Full.png
371 KB, 1594x1312
>>342123807
>>342123810
Thanks for letting us know that you're stupid.
>>
>>342123075
That's the most talked about aspect of level design but honestly it's just the bare minimum. A lot of levels designed by amateurs have the problem of feeling too stale and predictable because they follow that build on challenges rule far too closely. You need good pacing and a decent variety in challenges. You need both peaks and dips in the intensity to make the level feel dynamic and exciting. There needs to be additional depth to the level that will make it enjoyable to revisit, sometimes this can be done solely through a game's deep mechanics but most of the time having different paths for the player to take, both obvious and more subtle helps along with things like secrets. Then there's the whole "flow" aspect which is very hard to talk about in any concrete fashion. Hell I'd argue that levels benefit from having some more "unfair" encounters, especially in intense action games. You don't really want the player to feel safe. Fear is great.
>>
>>342123767
>Can't even pogo on stage hazards
You mean like spikes? That would break the game. If you just want to play Ducktales, go play Ducktales. Shovel Knight is not Ducktales.
OP you have been thouroughly BTFO please stop embarrassing yourself
>>
>>342123075
>>342123306
>>342118603
>>342122220
only good posts in this thread

everything else is fucking trash, including this post
>>
>>342123927
He's American so obviously he thinks the world runs on burgers.
>>
>>342123989
Fair enough, and
>fear is great
Is an excellent point, but antepieces really are the most important part in my opinion. I get what you mean with pacing and flow but those aspects are really difficult to put into words.
>>
>>342124052
As an American working on his degree, we think the world runs on equal parts burgers and pizzas thank you very much.
>>
>>342123810
>Mathematology
>no real world application
>>
>>342123927
High level math has no real world application
The highest level of math you're going to need in real life is algebra. Everything else is useless unless you're a math teacher.

>>342123952
>Le 12 hours xD
>Real world application
You cannot be serious
>>
>>342123952
so you're a grantslave

what is your area of interest

make sure to choose carefully
>>
>>342123810
mathematicians are pretty required by any financial institution, anon

>>342123989
>"flow" aspect
that's one one of the vaguest concept ever and at the same time one of the most important. I think it actually stems from a summation of all the other aspects. Like the difficulty curve, obstacle presentation. If a level has good flow, you feel like you are always advancing, getting closer to a checkpoint/end
>>
File: scientician.png (546 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
scientician.png
546 KB, 768x576
>>342124246
Mathematology has many applications! Just ask this scientician.
>>
>>342124292
>High level math has no real world application
>He says while posting from a device that wouldn't exist without high level math and physics
You cannot be serious
>>
>>342124292
>The highest level of math you're going to need in real life is algebra.
Good luck trying to do Physics or engineering with just algebra.
>>
>>342124292
Define "high level math," highschooler. I hope you won't include what I think you'll include.
>>
>>342124292
>Rockets
>Real world application
>Just need to know a bit of algebra!

>Making surgical equipment
>I'm sure it's thin enough!

Get the fuck out of here. Get off the internet. Possibly consider killing yourself.
>>
File: 1446795689957.png (162 KB, 423x516) Image search: [Google]
1446795689957.png
162 KB, 423x516
>>342124292
And they say summer isn't a thing.
>>
>>342113393
>tight controls
controls that respond quickly and accurately. One of the best examples of tight controls is the DMC series, while some examples of games without tight controls are heavenly sword (remember that gif where she responds 0.5-1 sec after he tilts the joystick?), driving in Halo, and the port of heavy rain on the ps4

>great level design
actually a thing, although what makes good level design varies by game and genre. The most obvious offender of bad level design are games that are largely just corridors

>innovative concept
is a thing, just one not seen often anymore. DMC's design of focusing on making the action stylish rather than just beating the enemy is one, and then you have...less than great stuff like electroplankton
>>
File: 1465491125871.gif (384 KB, 474x354) Image search: [Google]
1465491125871.gif
384 KB, 474x354
>>>>>>>>>narrative
>>
>>342123952
You do realize this was debunked as a fucking joke, right?

You're so god damn dumb.
>>
>>342124292
Just because you don't need more math skills than being able to count how many quarters a cheeseburger costs doesn't mean there aren't actual applications for math.
>>
>>342124193
Yeah, that's a point John Romero made and I agree with it completely because the most fun and memorable levels for me tend to have quite a few asshole puckering moments. And agreed, it is the most important rule that you have to follow and then build on top of. Just wish people talked about the other aspects of level design more often since there are so many things that make a good level which are much harder to make into a consistent rule like that, and they're more interesting to talk about as a result
>>
>>342124292
The world could not be ran without calculus, infrastructure could not be maintained without calculus. Everything you probably take for granted in life is not possible without math.
>>
>>342124445
>>342124447
>>342124450
>>342124513
>>342124572
It's okay that you wasted your life learning how to add and subtract really good
What have you done with this knowledge? I'll be sure to give you a call when I need my taxes done ;)
>>
File: 1.jpg (20 KB, 338x358) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
20 KB, 338x358
>>342124292
Anon for the love of God please tell me that you aren't this stupid and you're just baiting us.
>>
>>342124714
>You're so god damn dumb.
WOW, YOU MEAN THE SHITPOSTING IMAGE TALKING ABOUT A FUCKING MARIO JOKE IS A JOKE?

WOOOOOOOOOW STOP THE PRESSES

>This is the people that say high math has no real world application
>>
>>342125002
Yes I know I am shit at math. How does that have anything to do with you being a retard who says retarded fucking things?

inb4
>I WAS JUST PRETENDING! 10/10 BAIT TOP KEK!

Your parents are disappointed in you.
>>
>>342124851
Fair enough but level design really is hard to talk about. It's a niche subject with little material written on it so it's certainly interesting but also a bit tough. You really have to build your own levels for some years to really get a good grasp on it.

Fear is certainly an underused aspect in video game design, though. A lot of dumb designs make the incorrect assumption that fun is all what matters it in game design, but that limits your game to play unto positive emotions while negative emotions, like sadness and fear, are great for use from time to time.

Uplink, one of my favourite games of all time, plays unto fear by having permanent deaths whenever you get caught for a crime. It's incredibly effective as game overs are easily avoidable with some good planning so it doesn't feel unfair, and you get very immersed into the situation trying your best not to get caught as a result. The worst moment in the game is when you're really sure you got away with something only for the game over screen to come up, but it leaves you wanting to keep going because ultimately it was your fault you got caught and not the game.
>>
>>342125461
Nobody said you were shit at math though friend
Not to worry, you can spend your time learning something that actually matters, like medicine or history instead of a skill made obsolete by calculators.
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
>shovel knight is bad because this other good game also exists
>>
>>342125676
I hate you. I know that's what you want, that it's what you get off on. But truly, every fiber of me hates you and people like you. You make me wish I was never born, never forced to deal with a world full of dumd and half logics.
>>
>>342125627
I think one of my favorite moments from Uplink was because of my own idiotic actions and from the fear it caused.
>Order a bunch of new hardware
>Motion sensor freaks out
>OH SHIT THE FEDS
>Just the deliverymen
>>
>>342126080
Dude, don't reply to him. It's pretty obvious that he's playing the "I was only pretending to be retarded" card to save face (on an anonymous imageboard, no less). It's not worth it
>>
>>342126138
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Really adds a lot of tension to the game.

I read somewhere the beeping was something they added in the last week of development. I thought that was funny because I can't imagine the game without it.
>>
>>342126080
>>342126201
Okay, I'll bite
What have you used your high level math skills on this week that coukd not have instantly been done on a calculator?
>>
>>342126836
Solved an algebra problem.
>>
>>342114252
Renegade Ops is a 6/10 game at best
>>
>>342126964
>Algebra
>High level
More like high school.
>>
>>342124024

Why does the pogo stick even exist then? It might as well be a basic jump attack that's always on by default.
>>
>>342114252
>Renegade Ops
That game's a piece of shit fuck you all I wanted is a Jackal 2.0
>>
>>342127387
To attack enemies below you?
To traverse certain areas?
To reward skilled players who can continuously chain them together?
To be a unique and fun gameplay mechanic?
>>
>>342127387
>It might as well be a basic jump attack that's always on by default.
Blocks are common and it gives the player the choice of whether they want to stand on the block or bounce and destroy it. The are also platforming segments that require the player to stop using it between jumps or die.

The former should be fucking evident if you've at least played the tutorial.
>>
>>342117543
>.I can't name a single fucking game that felt floaty or loose...
little big planet
the floaty jumping was it's biggest (maybe only) complaint, and it's what made those game pretty boring to me
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.